• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Henry V (Patrick Doyle)

Stunningly beautiful work. This kind of elegance and beauty in film music is slowly fading away in these times. This ranks among Doyle's most inspired soundtracks. I have never seen the film but I can just imagine the impact it must have with the images. 'St Crispin's Day - The Battle of Agincourt' is such a brilliant example of pure emotion that is getting so rare these days. This score is now 20 years old, dating from a awesome period for film scores. I miss those days.

BEST. SHAKESPEARE. FILM. EVER!!! And Doyle's score, IMHO, is one of the greatest debut film scores of all time and is still Doyle's greatest work!

-Erik-

You know, I wasn't sure this was his debut, but now that you mention it, it's unbelievable this was his very first. shocked

'Non Nobis, Domine' is a fantastic cue as well !!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Give a spin at most of the modern scores by younger composers out there. BHD has influenced a bunch of them, not only RC composers. And of course game music.

If you say so.

-Erik-

I am sure i am not the only one? Just listen to DISTRICT 9, one new score that comes to mind. Do you have counter-arguments?

No, I don't. That's why I said if you say so. But I'm listening to Black Hawn Dawn now and it's mediocre at best on CD but I do remember it be effective in the movie. It played more like source material than a film score. I actually wanted to turn it off after the second track. So if young film composers are being influenced by Black Hawk Down then I don't see a very bright future for film music. There are far, fars better Zimmer score out there to explore.

EDIT - Getting deeper into the score Zimmer does create a fairly unique sound for the film. "Synchrotone" is most interesting. What kills the track are the deep grunge electric guitars. vomit But then again the film does take place in 1993. Grunge was at the top of the charts. Annnnnnnnnnnnd, I've just skipped "Bakara." vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    They sound the same to me as before, only with more improved sound every time. All the techniques are all the same, slightly bit more mature in times.

I see what you're saying, but I still wouldn't label him as a '90s composer' with a '90s sound'. His style is still very similiar to what it was in the 90s, yes, but it's changed just enough to keep up with modern tastes. I think the same applies to many composers.

In fact, I think Zimmer, for example, had one of the most typical 90s sounds, more so than Horner during the 90s. I also think he's had to change his style to more of a degree than Horner to keep up with modern tastes, whereas Horner's sound tends to be a little more versatile and ages far better. Certainly when you compare something like Balto (which doesn't have anything giving away it was composed in the 90s) to Crimson Tide (which is positively dripping in 90s OTT Bruckheimerisms). In fact, that's the only time you'll see me comparing these comparatively incomparable scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    They sound the same to me as before, only with more improved sound every time. All the techniques are all the same, slightly bit more mature in times.

I see what you're saying, but I still wouldn't label him as a '90s composer' with a '90s sound'. His style is still very similiar to what it was in the 90s, yes, but it's changed just enough to keep up with modern tastes. I think the same applies to many composers.

In fact, I think Zimmer, for example, had one of the most typical 90s sounds, more so than Horner during the 90s. I also think he's had to change his style to more of a degree than Horner to keep up with modern tastes, whereas Horner's sound tends to be a little more versatile and ages far better. Certainly when you compare something like Balto (which doesn't have anything giving away it was composed in the 90s) to Crimson Tide (which is positively dripping in 90s OTT Bruckheimerisms). In fact, that's the only time you'll see me comparing these comparatively incomparable scores.

You're comparing two very different composers, styles and scores. Zimmer has definitely changed his style from say BROKEN ARROW / CRIMSON TIDE to stuff like the Joker's theme in Batman 2, or Da Vinci code etc, whilst Horner scores still carry the same techniques and style, but with an updated sound, with very little changes in some exceptions, imo. NOT THAT IT'S A BAD THING, RATHER THE CONTRARY. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

You're comparing two very different composers, styles and scores. Zimmer has definitely changed his style from say BROKEN ARROW / CRIMSON TIDE to stuff like the Joker's theme in Batman 2, or Da Vinci code etc, whilst Horner scores still carry the same techniques and style, but with an updated sound, with very little changes in some exceptions, imo. NOT THAT IT'S A BAD THING, RATHER THE CONTRARY. wink

I know I'm comparing two very different composers... that's the point!

By comparing the two composers' styles, you find one has had to change their styles because it's very much rooted in that 90s, Hollywood sound, whereas the other composer hasn't. Thus, the fact that Horner hasn't needed to change his style is indicative of the fact that his sound hasn't dated as much as, say, Zimmer's... which is exactly why Zimmer has had to change his approach/style to more of a degree than Horner. That's my point. (It's also indicative of my opinion that Horner is a better composer than Zimmer because his style still works without much need for too much change, even though to some degree he has kept up to date with modern tastes and so-called 'requirements'.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Horner's style is much more classical-oriented and orchestral in core. It's more diachronic than seasonal (or decade-based) trends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ What Steven said!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Horner's style is much more classical-oriented and orchestral in core. It's more diachronic than seasonal (or decade-based) trends.

Which is a long-winded way of saying "Horner is awesome". Good, good... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Which is a long-winded way of saying "Horner is awesome". Good, good... biggrin

applause

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I never said the contrary smile But my other point is still valid, about his style being a bit more static than usual, regardless the reasons (many of them showcased above) smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    James Horner

The only time this - in fact, isn't a needless comment tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I never said the contrary smile But my other point is still valid, about his style being a bit more static than usual, regardless the reasons (many of them showcased above) smile

Ah, see that I agree with. But then that's not what you originally said (or at least not what was originally implied). It seemed like you were implying his sound was atypically 90s in style, even to this day. What I was making a point of is that even though that style was developed in the 90s (and even the 80s to a lesser degree), it's not necessarily a "90s sound". Just Horner's sound. (Which is why I brought Zimmer into the discussion, because his 90s scores sound very 90s - i.e. Balto compared with Crimson Tide.)

Phew, we got there in the end!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah. It's a 90's Horner sound that gets more modern (sound-wise) as time goes by wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So, the natural progression that most composers follow then? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, many of them also enrich their style as time goes by too wink Not just the physical sound of things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Careful now, let's not confuse matters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Adventures of Robin Hood Erich Wolfgang Korngold

This is unbelievably good, a godsend of a score.

I play this one a lot when I'm playing games on the Xbox (the Xbox allows you to play it from the hard drive so it plays in the background as though it were the actual score), particularly third person adventure games. It's amazing how great music like this can elevate anything, and it just goes to prove that the old style of scoring is THE BEST STYLE OF SCORING.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    The Adventures of Robin Hood - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

What a score!!! I'll give it a spin now! cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Finding Neverland - Jan Kaczmarek

Now this is something that fully deserved its awards. I haven't seen the film but it's a total delight to listen to on the CD, and I'm pretty sure it must've worked great in-situ as well. Good, very good!

It worked very well in the film. You should see it sometime.
  2. NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

I don't listen to this more recent Horner score, but the delicate and beautiful track "Trip To Chicago" is just magical.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

I don't listen to this more recent Horner score, but the delicate and beautiful track "Trip To Chicago" is just magical.

A 5 star score, IMHO. Instead of repeating myself here is what I wrote about the score back in February.

-Erik-
  3. Cheers Erik. I was interested to read your comments. Looks like I should catch this movie next time it's showing.

NP: "Finale" - Children of The Corn II - Daniel Licht
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Adventures of Robin Hood Erich Wolfgang Korngold

This is unbelievably good, a godsend of a score.

I play this one a lot when I'm playing games on the Xbox (the Xbox allows you to play it from the hard drive so it plays in the background as though it were the actual score), particularly third person adventure games. It's amazing how great music like this can elevate anything, and it just goes to prove that the old style of scoring is THE BEST STYLE OF SCORING.

Another score in the Empire Strikes Back category of they don't come much better than this. A true all time timeless classic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

One of his best scores ever, hands down. The developing chill factor throughout this score is remarkable, and the Hand Of Fate cues are amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    First Night and Morning in Prague

NP Mission Impossible (Elfman)

Its not because im in prague, but this score really deserved my atention much more earlier than now.

Its a score pioneer at his time, because now this kind of percusion (taikos and so) style in thiller scores are familiar and normal today, even elfman used this sound again and again since proof of life and planet of the apes.

The little fanfarres are terrific, the ryhtms are cool, the dramatic passages touching, and the Elfman touch just enough. I love it!!! one of his best. Really!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    First Night and Morning in Prague

NP Mission Impossible (Elfman)

Its not because im in prague, but this score really deserved my atention much more earlier than now.

Its a score pioneer at his time, because now this kind of percusion (taikos and so) style in thiller scores are familiar and normal today, even elfman used this sound again and again since proof of life and planet of the apes.

The little fanfarres are terrific, the ryhtms are cool, the dramatic passages touching, and the Elfman touch just enough. I love it!!! one of his best. Really!

All that - and for me, the definitive recording of the Schifrin theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Played:

The Prince of Tides - James Newton Howard
    I admit that Howard has written more mature and intellectual scores since then, but for me, this is his most passionate score with his two best themes ever (Main Title and Love Theme). I just cannot get tired of this score, I keep returning to it often. Maybe the fact that this was my first encounter with JNH's music has a part in my love of this score.

And revisiting a classic:

Dances With Wolves - John Barry
    Probably my favourite Barry score. As good as ever. It is more varied in themes than his usual scores and oh, I love those majestic brasses!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Fly Me To The Moon - Ramin Djawadi

I'm not a big fan of mister Djawadi but this is actually quite a decent score that I occasionally like to play. I also like the Apollo 3-esque choir in some tracks, and the action music is standard RC fun stuff.