• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Empire Strikes Back (williams)

Perfect in every level.

From the orchestrations to the themes and motifs.

...but?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman

Jai-Ho! bhangra

bhangra
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Empire Strikes Back (williams)

Perfect in every level.

From the orchestrations to the themes and motifs.

...but?

biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Symphonic Shades (Chris Huelsbeck)

More info here punk punk punk

Before you skip this post I want to tell you how bloody good this videogame compilation album is. Think of a selection of original midi-style compositions but arranged for orchestra and choir, and now imagine the album containing many rousing concert pieces and some solo instrument-driven tracks. I'm not kidding, this is something the film music admirer will love, I mean the real film music of the 70s, 80s and 90s. There are some fantastic pieces on this album, if you don't know the old games don't worry... I don't know them at all and I love the compositions, they're brilliantly fanfaristic and uplifting. Check the clips on the link. You WILL like what you hear if you have love for the traditional type of film scoring with the emphasis on themes. Back from the time when themes were awesome.

Did I mention the orchestrated music is grand in scope and totally not like the cheap midi music of the era? In fact I'm going to buy this on iTunes soon. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Speaking of themes... this one flat-out rocks !!!

Wing Commander (David Arnold & Kevin Kiner)

The overture is hands down one of the best things Arnold has ever done. The score by Kiner has its moments and stays in similar Arnold style, which sounds very TND at times. That's a very good thing as TND is Arnold's best Bond outing IMO. The score is about the only thing worth remembering out of the worthless film... give me Wing Commander III and IV (games starring none other than Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, John Rhys-Davies, Tom Wilson and many more) over this soulless drivel any day.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nixon John Williams

A rather neglected score in my collection. I guess it lacks a 'hook' (not the score); a memorable theme that pulls you back for repeated listens. A shame really, since this is an excellent score with some precursors to Battle of the Heroes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Nixon John Williams

A rather neglected score in my collection. I guess it lacks a 'hook' (not the score); a memorable theme that pulls you back for repeated listens. A shame really, since this is an excellent score with some precursors to Battle of the Heroes.

I think the memorable theme - or themes - are in the score and are brilliant presented in the opening cue which was written specifically for the trailer. The sub themes are all magnificent... the Coplandesque "Growing Up in Whittier" comes to mind and I think the suspense music is some of Williams' finest. I agree that this is a much neglected film score and I regretfully admit that it's one that I rarely spin... but when I do the rewards are bountiful!

NP: Terror Tract - Brian Tyler

I rarely reach for a Brian Tyler score to listen to but thanks to my Halloween playlist I was re-introduced to the wonderful Terror Tract. Written at a time when Tyler's career was just beginning - so promising and full of creativity - Tyler composes, IMHO, one of the most impressive themes are his career in this score. The action music is frenetic but unlike the noise that he pumps out nowadays. There's structure with clear and very strong orchestrations (credited to Christopher Lennertz) However, unlike the brilliant Darkness Falls there is a lot of slower, filler type cues which make the album drag a bit... but I'd rather listen to those filler cues than any thing Tyler has written in the past 5 years. Terror Tract is one of Tyler's career highlights and I highly recommend the album which was released on La La Land Records.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: Terror Tract - Brian Tyler

I rarely reach for a Brian Tyler score to listen to but thanks to my Halloween playlist I was re-introduced to the wonderful Terror Tract. Written at a time when Tyler's career was just beginning - so promising and full of creativity - Tyler composes, IMHO, one of the most impressive themes are his career in this score. The action music is frenetic but unlike the noise that he pumps out nowadays. There's structure with clear and very strong orchestrations (credited to Christopher Lennertz) However, unlike the brilliant Darkness Falls there is a lot of slower, filler type cues which make the album drag a bit... but I'd rather listen to those filler cues than any thing Tyler has written in the past 5 years. Terror Tract is one of Tyler's career highlights and I highly recommend the album which was released on La La Land Records.

-Erik-

Completely agree. That and Darkness Falls. The 2 genuinely great Tyler scores!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Steven wrote
    Nixon John Williams

It's long been one of my favourite 90s Williams scores, but more for the highlights than for the whole package.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARVIN HAMLISCH - the informant

Highly relaxing, smooth and laid-back jazzy score, very entertaining. Love it.
  4. Just started listening to

a very unknown and mundane score

by a very obscure hack of a composer

that has won no awards

for a very unappealing film

that has had no success at all

People had no interest in seeing

the work of a very untalented director

nor did the actors in it have any chemistry

and the special effects sucked big balls

That film is called

TITANIC

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, well, well, well, well???? cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nixon John Williams

It's long been one of my favourite 90s Williams scores, but more for the highlights than for the whole package.

I adore Williams score to NIXON, I lack the ability to describe it how I feel it but it has a real poignancy about it, a timeless nostalgia, an Americana fused with Vaughan Williams sound in this that greatly moves me.

Do I make sense??
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, well, well, well, well???? cool beer

Absolutely loved the 60s-70s Spy movies' homage, such a fresh and breezy score, and the sound quality / performance is outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nixon John Williams

I adore Williams score to NIXON, I lack the ability to describe it how I feel it but it has a real poignancy about it, a timeless nostalgia, an Americana fused with Vaughan Williams sound in this that greatly moves me.

Do I make sense??

No, that was absolute gibberish.

Yes, you do. wink There's a lot in that score that makes it more than worthy of repeated listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Symphonic Shades (Chris Huelsbeck)

An absolutely SUPERB ALBUM! It's right up my alley! I can't image anyone NOT loving this album!

-Erik-
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Just started listening to

a very unknown and mundane score

by a very obscure hack of a composer

that has won no awards

for a very unappealing film

that has had no success at all

People had no interest in seeing

the work of a very untalented director

nor did the actors in it have any chemistry

and the special effects sucked big balls

That film is called

TITANIC

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit

What ... you don't like Sol Kaplan's music? tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This new release of Rolfe Kent "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" is pretty nice. The film doesn't have much appeal but I like his bouncy swinging style.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I need to play a score for one of my favourites composers. How I don't know if play something from Zimmer or Powell....What about from both composers?

NP:Kung Fu Panda.

4 stars.

This score is sublime. Coherent, with very rich orchestrations, great themes, an great sense of epic and adventure and some gorgeous dramatic tracks.

"Sacreed pool of tears" is fucking amazing!

Perhaps it doesn't have the highlights of Ice Age 3 or Hanckok but overall is better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Perhaps it doesn't have the highlights of Ice Age 3 or Hanckok but overall is better.

I have two words for you...

Oogway Ascends

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I have two words for you...

Oogway Ascends

-Erik-

Good two words Eric.

I love the beggining ala Across the Stars. But I need the film version where the harp is recorded louder!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: House Of Cards - James Horner

I'm in Horner heaven!
    A beautiful gem in every way!
    I even love the Once Upon A Forest references.
    And to think that 3 weeks ago I'd never heard of this film or that Horner even scored it!
    Much like Extreme Close-Up (another surprise).
    Any more Horner surprises up Intrada's sleeve yet to come?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Indochine - Patrick Doyle

Very good dramatic music with sweeping main theme. There are some tracks however that I cannot "get into"; the short ones with very little memorable melodies. Apart from them, it's a good early Doyle.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Symphonic Shades (Chris Huelsbeck)

An absolutely SUPERB ALBUM! It's right up my alley! I can't image anyone NOT loving this album!

-Erik-

Let me re-quote that for you so everyone can see what a truly superb album this really is! Don't you just love the way they've arranged that game music to sound like fantastic film concert pieces. One of the best recent surprises I've listened to. cool

Atham
    NP: House Of Cards - James Horner

I'm in Horner heaven!
    A beautiful gem in every way!
    I even love the Once Upon A Forest references.
    And to think that 3 weeks ago I'd never heard of this film or that Horner even scored it!
    Much like Extreme Close-Up (another surprise).
    Any more Horner surprises up Intrada's sleeve yet to come?

Posts like these confirm I've made a wise choice in ordering this, even though it was a complete surprise Horner. I'm gonna listen to it soon, but the timing has to be right. Now, it ain't !
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE NAME OF THE ROSE - James Horner

I like it, so there! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HEY EVERYBODY, TIMMER LIKES THE NAME OF THE ROSE!!!!!!

Screw you, it's my birthday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hoosiers Jerry Goldsmith

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    HEY EVERYBODY, TIMMER LIKES THE NAME OF THE ROSE!!!!!!

Screw you, it's my birthday.

YES, I Do!!!!!!!!! punk

( I mean 'like it' not get screwed by you ) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Hoosiers Jerry Goldsmith

No bad words from me about one of my least favourite JG scores today
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Astro Boy (John Ottman)
    shocked

Finally! A great effort by Ottman, with an addictive and adventurous main theme, rich orchestrations, and a very strong sense of fun and adventure.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you