• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hoosiers Jerry Goldsmith

I like it, so there! tongue

No bad words from me about one of my least favourite JG scores today

I re listened it a few weeks ago (In fact the week I met Bregt in Barcelona).

The main theme is addictive, and "the Final game" has terrific orchestral moments. But again the synthetiser ruins the whole score. Ok, it was the 80's so we can blame Goldsmith, but still is dated.

Anyway, I think it's a very repetitive score. So....Give me Rudy anytime.

NP:Empire Strikes back

Again, and again, and again....

The RCA wich I have bought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    NP Astro Boy (John Ottman)
    shocked

Finally! A great effort by Ottman, with an addictive and adventurous main theme, rich orchestrations, and a very strong sense of fun and adventure.

Let me guess: and zero originality ? wink (kidding, haven't heard it yet)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Marselus wrote
    shocked

Finally! A great effort by Ottman, with an addictive and adventurous main theme, rich orchestrations, and a very strong sense of fun and adventure.

Still trying to get into this. The orchestration certainly has depth and colors, and the approach is very adventurous and fun, but it's so mickey mousey most the time that I'm almost turned off by it.

I'm very tempted to compare it to Giacchino's effort for Speed Racer, but then it become so obvious that the SR score is so much better.

I think that the Astroboy score suffers for a lack of a strong identity. Much like Debney, Ottman doesn't have a strong voice to help bolster the score's identity, so the whole things seems to be just there, churning through the motions. That said, I think it's a much better score in the movie and should really remain there.
  1. Bad Boys (Mark Mancina)

Let me sum it up in these 3 words:

COOL AS ICE
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bad Boys (Mark Mancina)

Let me sum it up in these 3 words:

COOL AS ICE

It's cooler than cool. It's ICE COLD!!!!
  2. punk

Bad Boys = freezing freezing freezing freezing freezing freezing freezing freezing
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Marselus wrote
    shocked

Still trying to get into this. The orchestration certainly has depth and colors, and the approach is very adventurous and fun, but it's so mickey mousey most the time that I'm almost turned off by it.

I'm very tempted to compare it to Giacchino's effort for Speed Racer, but then it become so obvious that the SR score is so much better.

I think that the Astroboy score suffers for a lack of a strong identity. Much like Debney, Ottman doesn't have a strong voice to help bolster the score's identity, so the whole things seems to be just there, churning through the motions. That said, I think it's a much better score in the movie and should really remain there.

My main problems with Ottman's music. I see this is no exception then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Marselus wrote
    shocked

I think this would have been an interesting score if Brian Tyler had done it. Or Edward Shearmur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Marselus wrote
    shocked

I think this would have been an interesting score if Brian Tyler had done it. Or Edward Shearmur.

I can only take the first part of the statement as a joke, and the 2nd as completely serious wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

I can only take the first part of the statement as a joke, and the 2nd as completely serious wink

Agreed! I we know what Shearmur can do in the fantasy/adventure genre!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Marselus wrote
    shocked

Take it however you want it, Brian hasn't done a Sci-Fi Animation score before and it'd be interesting to hear him take a stab at it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Take it however you want it, Brian hasn't done a Sci-Fi Animation score before and it'd be interesting to hear him take a stab at it.

It would have been interesting earlier on in his career.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

Hearing a composer trying new things should always be interesting, IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Nixon John Williams

A rather neglected score in my collection. I guess it lacks a 'hook' (not the score); a memorable theme that pulls you back for repeated listens. A shame really, since this is an excellent score with some precursors to Battle of the Heroes.

I don't really listen to it very much myself, but that's not for lack of a hook - that main theme is absolute dynamite! Don't really know why I don't listen often - because there's some great music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

That's the point. When was the last time Tyler tried anything remotely new or fresh?!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    That's the point. When was the last time Tyler tried anything remotely new or fresh?!

Well, his hair style changes quite often.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Um, that's why I would be interested in hearing him trying his hand at scoring a movie like AstroBoy. How many time do you want to go around this circle?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Um, that's why I would be interested in hearing him trying his hand at scoring a movie like AstroBoy. How many time do you want to go around this circle?

At least a dozen.

Anyway, when Tyler was given and oppourtunity to write something in a similar style - Dragonball - he stole his main theme from Danny Elfman's Batman and just rehashed the same ordinary action music style he has been using for years. I don't see why Astro Boy would finally be that ONE SCORE that would break Tyler out of his creative funk!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nixon John Williams

A rather neglected score in my collection. I guess it lacks a 'hook' (not the score); a memorable theme that pulls you back for repeated listens. A shame really, since this is an excellent score with some precursors to Battle of the Heroes.

I don't really listen to it very much myself, but that's not for lack of a hook - that main theme is absolute dynamite! Don't really know why I don't listen often - because there's some great music.

Play it again James, it's a superb score and it doesn't deserve to be relegated to a dust gatherer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: My Life (Barry)

It will be a while before I play it again, as the main theme has well and truly done its dash by the final track, but it must be said: what a theme! One of Barry's strongest.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. NP: Metropolis - Gottfried Huppertz

A wonderful score succinctly summarised by Wikipedia:

"...Huppertz composed a leitmotific orchestral score which included many elements from the music of Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss, plus some mild modernism for the city of the workers and the use of the popular Dies Irae for some apocalyptic imagery..."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Ladies in Lavender... Nigel Hess/Joshua Bell This is a very lovely easy to listen to score. What is funny is that I have the mute on the television watching the World Series.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Reading some threads here gave me the incentive to put this one on...

NP : THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer

A fine late night listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    sdtom wrote
    Ladies in Lavender... Nigel Hess/Joshua Bell This is a very lovely easy to listen to score. What is funny is that I have the mute on the television watching the World Series.
    Thomas

Lovely score! Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra is a gorgeous highlight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

At least a dozen.

Anyway, when Tyler was given and oppourtunity to write something in a similar style - Dragonball - he stole his main theme from Danny Elfman's Batman and just rehashed the same ordinary action music style he has been using for years. I don't see why Astro Boy would finally be that ONE SCORE that would break Tyler out of his creative funk!

-Erik-

For the most part, DB is a fantasy martial art flick, with a poor script and horrible execution of everything. The score wasn't even good and I will never agree with your point that he stole the Batman theme. The notes just don't ever line up to compare.

Regardless, the point is that I would like to see him do other genres, like this Computer-Animated-Sci-Fi-Anime-Adaptation called AstroBoy, and see what the result is, even if it turns out like Tokyo Drift and works for movie. Inversely, I don't know why I would have expected AstroBoy to be that score that would convert me into liking John Ottman.

On a related, albeit off topic, note, checkout how one guy used Tyler's Tokyo Drift score in his EPIC Anime mashup of DOA and Final Fantasy characters.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dead- … tasy/32365
    This one uses the Assassin track from Bangkok Dangerous.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dead- … -oum/53444
    Check ou all 5 movies. Excellent animation work on display here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Played:

Angels and Demons - Hans Zimmer
    Apart from 2-3 tracks, it's not the Zimmer I like.

Spirit - Stallion of the Cimarron - Hans Zimmer
    Now, this is the Zimmer I like! I wish there was a proper CD score release...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    shocked

Let me guess: and zero originality ? wink (kidding, haven't heard it yet)

fantastic Four theme is very well arranged into it tongue

NP:Astro Boy (ottman)

Agree with Marselus. Quite entertaining and with a lot of dosis of adventure!
    Agree with Demetris: Zero originality.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    keky wrote
    Spirit - Stallion of the Cimarron - Hans Zimmer
    Now, this is the Zimmer I like! I wish there was a proper CD score release...

Me too! Lovely score, wish there was more of it on the OST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

That's the thing. For the last 2 years he's been on a creative stall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Well, his hair style changes quite often.

biggrin And his tuxedos!