• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011 edited
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011
    BobdH wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Should I avoid the third part entirely?

Hehe, the 3rd part is a completely different affair. It lacks the quality, mood and overall greatness of the first 2 parts, and can be seen as an easy to digest afterthought. Some kind of a 'what happened next on: The Godfather?' thing. You don't need to see it, but if you're curious after part II, well, why not just complete it. It's certainly a more easy watch.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    HEREAFTER

Mature, beautiful tale, excellently shot. The music is simplistic as always but this time fits the movie like a glove, like Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino. Eastwood is as impressive as ever.

Can this man possibly deliver trash, even if he wanted to?

Really looking forward to seeing it, the trailer looks ace.

You're right; he's a man of such history, cinematic culture and - evidently, educational level and maturity in all aspects, he simply couldn't do any wrong; he's one of the greatest icons of our times (and the past century from what it seems wink ). If only he wasn't so obsessed with writing the music for every film he makes too (some work brilliantly, like this one here, but also others fail miserably).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Well... a lot of critics are saying, yes, he can. HEREAFTER is getting very negative reviews and it's currently 48% at RottenTomatoes with the consensus: "Despite a thought-provoking premise and Clint Eastwood's typical flair as director, Hereafter fails to generate much compelling drama, straddling the line between poignant sentimentality and hokey tedium.".

I, myself, find the man rather overrated...

I find rottentomatoes full of bullshit most of the times; if i judged what movies to see and what not only via rt reviews, i'd watch none of the great movies i did these years. (and also went through crap as well 'cause of raving rt reviews).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

THE GODFATHER

my rating

11/10

THE GODFATHER part II

my rating

11/10

THE GODFATHER part III

my rating

5/10

I've watched parts I & II multiple times, brilliant film making and two of the best films ever made, oh, and the scores are pretty darned brilliant too.

I'd generally agree (though would rate Part III slightly more highly).

In fact, four of my top ten favourite films were directed by Francis Ford Coppola in the 1970s, and two of them are the first two Godfather films.
  1. Once Apocalypse Now Redux comes out on blu-ray over here, I will buy it for sure. Saw the film a long time ago, not redux and remember being totally devastated by it. Making the film must have had the same effect on Coppola, so the legend tells.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hehe, it's not really a legend, the hole production was a logistic hell, what didn't necessarily had anything to do with the subject matter. Just see the documentary Hearts of Darkness (which is included in the new BluRay edition for the first time), which gives the whole story from a first hand perspective (or actually second hand, as it's directed by Francis' wife) and you'll know what I mean.

A few trivia-facts as an appetizer:

- Originally scheduled to be shot over six weeks, ended up taking 16 months.
    - A typhoon destroyed sets, causing a delay of several months.
    - Marlon Brando was paid $1 million in advance. He threatened to quit and keep the advance. (...) Brando eventually turned up late, drunk, 40kg overweight, and admitted he hadn't read the script
    - Dennis Hopper was constantly drunk/on drugs during filming
    - Martin Sheen had a heart attack during the filming
    - Francis Ford Coppola threatened suicide several times during the making of the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    I think it's the most extraordinary film and Heart of Darkness is the most extraordinary film documentary. As Coppola famously said, "This film isn't about Vietnam, this film IS Vietnam" - watching the documentary you know exactly what he meant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I think it's the most extraordinary film and Heart of Darkness is the most extraordinary film documentary. As Coppola famously said, "This film isn't about Vietnam, this film IS Vietnam" - watching the documentary you know exactly what he meant.

And another of my all time favourite films, during the 70's Coppola was a film making god.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I highly recommend Eleanor Coppola's book about the filming as well (also called Heart of Darkness).
  2. Southall wrote

Oh this is definitely on my 'to watch' list. I love making of docs that go a little deeper than 'I loved working with that guy for this reason' or 'Being on this project has made me a better human being' or something along those lines. When you see the real men behind the project that put their heart, sweat and tears into it talk about all the hardship and troubles mixed with on the set footage, those are the real worthy film documentaries.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Curse of the Cat People. Not as good as the original but still good. It was directed by a very young Robert Wise.

The original is great Tom, my favourite of Tourneur's ( and indeed one of my all time favourite films ) is Curse/Night of The Demon.

The remake, Curse of the Cat People wasn't nearly as effective.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My friend Maureen came over for Scrabble and she just had to say Black Dahlia. I warned her in advance as she had read the true story also but it went on anyway. I like the score by Isham. The movie was Hollywood/DePalma at their worst. I have a copy for sale for $5.00.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Give me $10 Tom and I'll take it off your hands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Loved the book, love the score, but even this large De Palma fan didn't think much of the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film was dreadful.
  3. Watching Planet of The Apes at the moment. Not seen it for ages. Jerry's score is a character on its own. And is excellent in the film and on CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Life is Beautiful

At first it was trendy to say how good this was, then when the subtitle snobs discovered that the filmgoing plebs also liked it, it became trendy to say how awful it was.

Well, I liked it a lot at first when it came out, and I like it a lot now.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I finished my rewatch of Lost today that I started back in July. The End brought me near to tears again.
  4. I'm going through the entire series again on Blu-ray at the moment and I'm loving it just as much if not more this time around. Just watched the first 3 episodes of Series 2 today, it's great! And it looks and sounds amazing in HD beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011 edited
    And now onto Aeon Flux for completely different reasons.

If I remember correctly some of the photos in the CD are very appealing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Just an advice: DO NOT WATCH IT.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Eye candy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011
    Timmer wrote

about the size of it
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Just an advice: DO NOT WATCH IT.

No point Marcel, Alan insists on watching bad movies wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

about the size of it

Too late Mr Tom, I'll only take it off you if you pay me $20.
  6. Bad movies? Aeon Flux was not the best film I've ever seen but it did look good. Sometimes that's all you want.

At least it confirmed that the score is also poor in the film as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Rebel Without A Cause/James Dean a Warner Brothers classic.
    Tom
  7. Don't really know where else to put this where anyone would read this - and even then the content will be of limited interest anyway.

Tim at least should have a passing interest in the restoration of a Space: 1999 Eagle craft.

Interesting stuff.
  8. PREDATORS

Enjoyable, but not more than that. Definitely not as good as the 1987 original, but it has its moments. Structure and build-up similar to that movie, and the climax is pretty awesome. Debney / Silvestri's music works great in it too and was half of the enjoyment! punk