• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The final 30-40 minutes are so good that I almost forgot the abject tedium of the previous two hours. Almost. Still, I now greatly look forward to seeing the series' finale.

I hated almost everything about this film. IMHO, the worst Potter film.

-Erik-

There's a good Potter film too ? wink

Azkaban is a brilliant movie, my absolute favourite, I give it 9 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote

You'd love The goblet of fire for the ending alone [spoiler](where Robert Pattinson snuffs it)[/spoiler].

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You'd love The goblet of fire for the ending alone [spoiler](where Robert Pattinson snuffs it)[/spoiler].

Peter smile

So spot - on!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The final 30-40 minutes are so good that I almost forgot the abject tedium of the previous two hours. Almost. Still, I now greatly look forward to seeing the series' finale.

I hated almost everything about this film. IMHO, the worst Potter film.

-Erik-

Azkaban is a brilliant movie, my absolute favourite, I give it 9 out of 10

I know, not a huge fan of zombie films myself.
  2. Last of the Mohicans

I saw this again on the weekend. Honestly, it only improves with time as a model for action-adventure filmmaking. Superior performances from a set of well-cast leads. (Day Lewis in particular was a major find as an romantic action hero - a role he never really played again.) And Michael Mann -- gosh, was he at a peak or what? To make this after Manhunter and a decade of Crime Story and Miami Vice. He gave this kind of film an authority and believability that it has rarely touched on since.

Perhaps the only film of this type that has come close for me since then was Peter Weir's Master and Commander, and even that one is not quite as thrilling and emotionally involving as this. (Few major films have risked finales as tragic as Mohicans. Give me more films where we know our heroes can actually be taken from us. The 'fake deaths' of LOTR seem an anti-case in point.)

Trevor Jones' half of the score is his best score in terms of having a good film to go along with it. (There are other things he's done which are superior compositionally.) Edelman's half tends to feel less fundamental, which is not unexpected considering he was scoring the scenes Trevor Jones didn't think needed music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011
    Downton Abbey

A wonderful British tv series written by Julian Fellowes, it charts the goings on in an aristocratic British home in the early 20th century (leading up to the outbreak of the first world war). It's full of so much wit and such wonderful acting (Maggie Smith as the dowager countess gives a lesson in how to give withering looks and Jim Carter is fantastic as the butler). Can't wait for the next series. Best thing I've seen on tv in years.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

and can you believe it's on ITV shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Not really. That's why I didn't watch it first time round but my sister insisted I must watch it on the second showing and I'm glad she did.
  3. Did anyone catch Tamsin Greig's swearing rant at the security guard that ended tonight's episode of Episodes? Funniest thing I've seen in a while!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. King of Kings, The Robe and The Cassandra Crossing are on TV back-to-back at the moment.

I may just listen to some of the scores rather than attempt any of this 6 hour marathon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    Sharktopus

I had hoped it would be so bad that it's good, but it was just too crappy to enjoy. Perhaps I wasn't drunk enough. The premise was sublime and it deserved better.

My rating: 2 out of 10

Peter smile
  5. Sharktopus??? Well at least the title is hilarious... biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. plindboe wrote
    Sharktopus

I had hoped it would be so bad that it's good, but it was just too crappy to enjoy. Perhaps I wasn't drunk enough. The premise was sublime and it deserved better.

My rating: 2 out of 10

Peter smile

I saw the poster and thought, this was going to be the movie of the year (Poster)

it's good to know money is still spend on the projects that deserve them smile
    Roger Corman does it again punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. The Hunt for Red October

My review here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    I've not read any of the books Pawel, do you think Alec Baldwin should have played Ryan throughout the series?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think Baldwin made for a fantastic, young Jack Ryan. Ford was perfectly cast for a more experienced, wiser Ryan in the two sequels. Ben Affleck should die!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ha! A little harsh on Affleck (I thought he wasn't that bad as Ryan, compared with some of his other performances, but he's no Alec Baldwin - a great actor, I think - or Harrison Ford).
  8. Timmer wrote
    I've not read any of the books Pawel, do you think Alec Baldwin should have played Ryan throughout the series?

Depends on when the movies would have been made. The major changes made to the books when it comes to continuity was making the prequel a sequel. They went with the way the books were released of course (though interestingly Patriot Games was *written* before Hunt for Red October).

Ryan goes through many positions, first he's a Ph. D. of history in Annapolis who's done minor analyses for CIA through an affiliate company, then after the IRA assassination he becomes a full-time CIA worker, then he spends three books as the analyst (though one of them is a large prequel written in the 2000s, Red Rabbit, written about the assassination on John Paul II). In Clear and Present Danger to Sum of All Fears he is Deputy Director of Intelligence (making this novel a reboot was idiotic, in the novel not only Ryan orchestrates a large treaty, but also uses his experience as the DDI) in the CIA and after a stand-off between him and the President, he quits the national service until in Debt of Honor he becomes the National Security Advisor, the Vice-President for President Roger Durling and finally, after a desperate and lone terrorist attack, the President.

Would have Baldwin been perfect throughout the entire series? Yes, I think so. I am reading Debt of Honor and Executive Orders (Executive Orders is the direct sequel, starting right off where Debt of Honor finished (Clancy predicted 9/11, BTW. Ryan becomes the President after a plane crashes into the Capitol right after he was sworn in as the Vice-President). It got to me that the novels would have made an amazing mini-series of around The Pacific/Band of Brothers length (one 10-episode season, that is). Baldwin would have been perfect as Ryan there. Though of course if they went with the choice of Harrison Ford (who refused to play Ryan, because he thought the movie is more about Ramius and, to be frank, the choices of Klaus Maria Brandauer and Sean Connery may just hint at that), it would have been even better for Ford to stay throughout the whole series. Mind you, when they were making Sum of All Fears, the whole original cast and crew were back. Ford, director Phillip Noyce and even James Horner. Suddenly Noyce and Ford quit. Horner stayed on the project, because he was huge friends with Phil Alden Robinson, but then Horner suddenly quit and Goldsmith was called onboard.

What's weird about Sum of All Fears is that Clancy executive produced the movie and what they did to the novel should get him much more pissed off than the change of Prince of Wales to another royal family member in Patriot Games and *that* made him practically disown the movie (personally, I think the movie is actually better than the novel). What is the reason for Affleck's defeat as Jack Ryan? He's got the looks. As I wrote, Ryan is an everyman. But Ryan also has a certain charisma. This is a very opinionated man, who gets really angry and pushy when he's certain of something, of a prediction of his, and then when the predicted crisis actually happens, he's the only calm and sure one in the whole lot. "A man for the storm" as it's said by... I think President Durling in Debt of Honor. Affleck has the charisma of a schoolyard bench.

Another character that was never done well is John Clark, but that's another story.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Pawel.

I think it's a shame that certain film series can't/aren't able, to keep the continuity intact, I can find a character distracting if they are played by different actors from film to film.
  9. John Clark was done even more harm than Jack Ryan, Tim. Willem Dafoe is very good in Clear and Present Danger, Liev Schreiber loses the character's charisma as well. Clark, a Special Activities Division agent (hired to do the dirty work, that is, in Sum of All Fears he is actually the driver of Jack Ryan for numerous other reasons) has a lot of dark humor to him and a lot of principles. The guy basically lost all his good lines in both movies he appears in. And he's quite a character.

In Executive Orders there is a discussion on who should play him. A journalist says that Val Kilmer would be perfect, to which Clark responds "Nic Cage has a better stare" biggrin
  10. Oh, also another thing about Jack Ryan. Except his Ph. D. in history (which is subtly addressed in Hunt for Red October and they don't explain what is Ryan doing in London, in fact, when Ryan is full-time in CIA, he is still researching and writing his second book, both of them are about Admiral Halsey, famously played by Mitchum in Midway), he was a very succesful broker on Wall Street for a long course of his life. His short-lived career in Marines is also only mentioned in the films. Ryan was studying economy when he joined the Corps. On his third year, when he was already a lieutenant, there was a helicopter flight. In the crash that happened, Ryan was almost the only survivor and that thanks to a sergeant. He had a spine injury, which was treated wrong, for a year he was learning to walk again. Through a client (or rather his boss, I think) he met Caroline Muller, called Cathy. They started to date. She was an eye surgeon at John Hopkins (one of the best academic hospitals in the US, later she would become a highly respected and eventually awarded laser surgeon) and met him with a doctor who ran tests again and corrected the initial, badly done, surgery. Few months after his accident, Jack's parents were killed in a plane crash in Baltimore, so he developed a huge fear of flying, which made him not sleep on transatlantic flights (Ryan was sent to work with the MI6 as an official CIA representative, because after saving the Prince's and his family's life, he was quite a name there, Ryan receiving a Sir title is also in the novels, Jack and Cathy are regularly making fun of it during their London stay).

This is featured only in Hunt for Red October in the movies. Due to amount of flying though in the course of the novels, Ryan gets rid of his fear. It didn't go away as easily as the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    What the hell am I missing as far as this Social Network is concerned. It is so far from the truth I don't get it. I won't talk about the music.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    Eh? Have you seen the film or not? As for it being factually accurate... who cares. It was based on actual events but judge the film as a film first. Was it a good movie? And then afterwards, if you are interested in the subject matter go out and do your own research on the matter.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Eh? Have you seen the film or not? As for it being factually accurate... who cares. It was based on actual events but judge the film as a film first. Was it a good movie? And then afterwards, if you are interested in the subject matter go out and do your own research on the matter.

-Erik-

Yes I saw the film and I rate it (*) and that is being generous. I will say it had the absolute worst version of Grieg's Anitra's Dance from Peer Gynt I've ever heard in my life. Why they didn't take a clip from something in public domain and use that is beyond me. It was a rowing scene and the price would have been free. All of the crap with the women, who were just there as sex objects, I understand because Hollywood is just about money. I was shocked that Kevin Spacey was executive producer but then I guess he didn't mind having his name attached to the eye sore I watched. My respect for him went down a notch. Read the Time magazine article about Mark. The reason for the star is it does depict greed fairly well. And this score winning over King's Speech is like comparing I'm a Believer to Rhapsody in Blue. Oh wait the Monkees have more talent than Gershwin.

I can go along with really stretching the truth if there is some entertainment value. This had nothing.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited
    I pretty much disagree with your assessment of the movie except for the rowing scene which I though was terrible! The rest... I thought it was a well told character study, with some very, very fine performances. I don't think it was mind-blowing but I thought it was a fine example of how to properly tell a rather straight forward story. And I will give director David Fincher and actor Armie Hammer a ton of credit for the brilliant scenes between the Winklevoss twins. I had no idea going into the movie that only ONE actor played both roles. That made the scene with the dean that much more impressive. And I've had my say about the score. It was meaningless and didn't enhance a thing.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    I pretty much disagree with your assessment of the movie except for the rowing scene which I though was terrible! The rest... I thought it was a well told character study, with some very, very fine performances. I don't think it was mind-blowing but I thought it was a fine example of how to properly tell a rather straight forward story. And I will give director David Fincher and actor Armie Hammer a ton of credit for the brilliant scenes between the Winklevoss twins. I had no idea going into the movie that only ONE actor played both roles. That made the scene with the dean that much more impressive. And I've had my say about the score. It was meaningless and didn't enhance a thing.

-Erik-

I'm sure that Grieg was turning over in his grave when he heard that!!! As far as the movie is concerned make the effort to read the Time magazine article on the real truth which of course I understand is of no interest to Hollywood. My major gripe is they completely miss what he is all about.
    http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa … 83,00.html

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited
    But who's to say that the Time article is completely accurate. Anyway, like I said a few posts earlier... if it's a good film first then that's what matters to me. For instance, Braveheart apparently is 99.9% fiction. Did that take away from my enjoyment of the film? Hell no! HOWEVER, it did spark my interest in the subject matter to go out and do some research on my own to find out the truth. See what I'm getting at?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The film is a magnificent look on reality.

The score fits the movie 100%.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm confident that the article in Time is accurate. I didn't see his name in the credits as an advisor. Braveheart is pure fiction. I knew that going in. I will give Spacey credit that he didn't pretend that this was the truth. You didn't see inspired by true events etc. If people believe it I don't think Mark cares. He is beyond that, worrying what people think of him. I wish I could be that way.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So, if you knew that THE SOCIAL NETWORK was pure fiction going into the film would your thoughts about the movie have changed?

-Erik-