• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited
    Tom all those years, there have been news' pieces all the time coming from various sources and countries portraying events and accusations exactly like those in the film; for anyone who's lived Facebook since its early stages, the movie doesn't seem detached from the reality at all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    So, if you knew that THE SOCIAL NETWORK was pure fiction going into the film would your thoughts about the movie have changed?

-Erik-

Yes I would have not seen it
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tom all those years, there have been news' pieces all the time coming from various sources and countries portraying events and accusations exactly like those in the film; for anyone who's lived Facebook since its early stages, the movie doesn't seem detached from the reality at all.

D read the time article and then tell me how faithful it is to his life
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just watched DEATH WISH 2 on Channel 5

---

---

---

ummmm? The score by Jimmy Page ( of Led Zeppelin fame ) is actually very good....on album. In the film as film score it's utterly appalling, someone doing a film score how he thinks a film score should sound, the spotting was terrible and that's putting it nicely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    So, if you knew that THE SOCIAL NETWORK was pure fiction going into the film would your thoughts about the movie have changed?

-Erik-

Yes I would have not seen it
    Thomas

So sad.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It was a waste of two hours. I'm happy that Kevin Spacey made money. I'm sorry I wasted mine.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm sorry you didn't get anything out of it. Like I said I think it's a well made, well told, and extremely well acted film with an interesting story to tell.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm sorry you didn't get anything out of it. Like I said I think it's a well made, well told, and extremely well acted film with an interesting story to tell.

-Erik-

I'm sure your wife was really impressed with the way the women were portrayed. Sex objects. Made me sick.
    Thomas
  1. Low blow Thomas. I'm sure Erik knows how his wife feels.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    There are also a lot of women out there who treat themselves as sex objects in the first place. Thomas what does that have to do with anything? If the facebook team and company treated their girls as sex objects when they initially began forming in the college field, what does that have to do with Erik or anyone? Why is it non-realistic? If you've been to college recently like i did (and i am not even in america with their fraternities where everyone gets in just to party hard, drink, do crack, smoke weed and have group sex) you'll know that these facts aren't away from reality at all. There are women (and men) who go through a stage in their lives that want to be treated like that and just have sex. Everywhere. Just because you don't agree or you don't like it, or choose to close your eyes and ears to that, it doesn't mean it'll go away. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I haven't seen the film, so I cannot comment on how (dis)tastefully women or any sexual excesses or exploits were portrayed, but it's a general point worth discussing, I think.
    I would not agree that the argument 'it's out there anyway, so why not show it' (apologies for any potential simplification, Michael and D.) is in itself enough to warrant any blatant exploitative titillation.
    Surely the difference in showing such behaviour is in its intention and approach: is it a statement on the hollow and meaningless pursuits of kids with too much time and money and too little sense? Or is it simply to give the male geek movie goer a glimpse of adolescent flesh?

While the actual scene may very well play out exactly the same in both scenarios, the intent to me is what leaves the emotional aftertaste.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It doesn't have to do with any male geek movie goer. Facebook is a universal phenomenon and any male geek (or not geek) who wants to glimpse at and enjoy flesh, there's many other ways to do so and doesn't expect from a major film at the cinema to do it for him. It's the reality for a large portion of the american youth, in their college lives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My point (or question, rather) was whether it was meaningful in the film, and hence needed to be shown. That boys like a bit of skin, or that wild, meaningless sex goes on in our younger years (well, some people's younger years. Obviously i've been missing out again. I should have gone to an American college, evidently. I knew this ever since I saw that eminent real-life docudrama Animal House...) seems pretty self evident.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. There is a section of the film where the way women are herded through the Harvard frat boy party evenings is intercut with Zuckerberg coding up his facemash program. It's pretty on-the-nose, but the paralleling of misogyny feels like comment rather than titillation. The mise-en-scene suggests this.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    There are also a lot of women out there who treat themselves as sex objects in the first place. Thomas what does that have to do with anything? If the facebook team and company treated their girls as sex objects when they initially began forming in the college field, what does that have to do with Erik or anyone? Why is it non-realistic? If you've been to college recently like i did (and i am not even in america with their fraternities where everyone gets in just to party hard, drink, do crack, smoke weed and have group sex) you'll know that these facts aren't away from reality at all. There are women (and men) who go through a stage in their lives that want to be treated like that and just have sex. Everywhere. Just because you don't agree or you don't like it, or choose to close your eyes and ears to that, it doesn't mean it'll go away. smile

You're so far off base I want to throw up. It doesn't have to be shown like it did in the film. I sure wouldn't have wanted my daughter to have seen this film at 13. In fact the film The King's Speech got a R rating but I would have taken my daughter to it. It shows the stupidity of the system. Someday you might be a father and your attitude will change a bit. What I would like you to do 'D' which you won't do is send your statement to the presidents of Harvard, Stanford, Baylor, Northwestern, and UCSD. I'll shut up if you get one to agree with you, which they won't of course. Read the Time magazine article. He had and still has a girlfriend and this nonsense had nothing to do with him. It was put in to sell tickets. That is Hollywood and always will be the way they operate. Zuckerberg's story has a lot of merit and could have made for an interesting film.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But Tom... that sort of STUFF actually happens and happened to these characters in the film! You might not like it but it showed what actually happens in REAL LIFE. Tom, you'd be shocked as to what goes on in college dorms these days.

As for the TIME article... Mark can say whatever he wants. That's not true, this is true, yada, yada, yada.

The script for the film was based off the non-fiction work THE ACCIDENTAL BILLIONAIRES in which Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin served as author Ben Mezrich's main consultant. Mezrich got most of his information from court documents and Eduardo Saverin himself.

So who's telling the truth and who's lying. Sure, you could say that Saverin has a grudge but I'd be more that sure that a lot of what happened in the book and in the film actually happened including all the womanizing!

As for my wife, Tom... you don't know her and you don't have the first clue as to what she likes and dislikes. She really, really enjoyed the film and was right here by my side afterwards as we a spent a few hours researching for more information about Zuckerberg, the Facebook phenomenon and the making of the film itself.

-Erik-

PS - Do you wanna know what my wife's favorite film is? I'll give you three guesses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tom, read Franz' reply above yours.
    The scene(s) apparently had a (social) statement to make in the context of the film.
    Whetehr or not you personally approve of what is depicted honestly is irrelevant.
    I am not a keen proponent of genocide, yet I found Hotel Rwanda and Schindler's List to make very valid contributions to awareness and debate even if they contained scenes that made me sick. I am not really big on rape, yet The Accused made an extremely powerful statement that was worth hearing, even if the pivotal event made my stomach churn.

Way bigger examples (emotionally, historically and judicially, though socially -in the context of how we define our surroundings and civilisations- arguably not), I grant you. But my point is that the film makers apparently tried to tell us something.
    Convey a message to make us think and evaluate our choices.

Not just tittilate, providing eye candy in the given and accepted context of a male-oriented society, for us to take as a confirmation of our (lack of) morals and beliefs.
    It's supposed to set the context, and make you question the validity.

That said, I'm probably the last person to argue that contextual freedom, as I have railed and ranted time and again (and continue to do so) against the mean-spiritedness, myopically nasty Se7en. The film is generally revered, yet I find it a deeply sad waste of celluloid, containing a message that is utterly pointless. Worse than that, mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    PS - Do you wanna know what my wife's favorite film is? I'll give you three guesses.

I'm pretty sure that if she doesn't answer Raiders whenever you ask, we'd see the quickest divorce in history. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Tom, read Franz' reply above yours.
    The scene(s) apparently had a (social) statement to make in the context of the film.
    Whetehr or not you personally approve of what is depicted honestly is irrelevant.
    I am not a keen proponent of genocide, yet I found Hotel Rwanda and Schindler's List to make very valid contributions to awareness and debate even if they contained scenes that made me sick. I am not really big on rape, yet The Accused made an extremely powerful statement that was worth hearing, even if the pivotal event mae my stomach churn.

yeah

Martijn wrote
    That said, I'm probably the last person to argue that contextual freedom, as I have railed and ranted time and again (and continue to do so) against the mean-spiritedness, myopically nasty Se7en. The film is generally revered, yet I find it a deeply sad waste of celluloid, containing a message that is utterly pointless. Worse than that, mean.

It's a ugly film for sure... but I love it! The good guys don't always win and there are sickos all around us.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm pretty sure that if she doesn't answer Raiders whenever you ask, we'd see the quickest divorce in history. wink

No... but I love her just as much for her own choice.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tom these things happen in real life. Some of what's portrayed in that film is too mild in comparison to what really goes on. Closing our eyes and turning the other way doesn't make it disappear. You can ignore the giant elephant on the table next to you (or was it the giant squid?) all you like but he's still there wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tom these things happen in real life. Some of what's portrayed in that film is too mild in comparison to what really goes on. Closing our eyes and turning the other way doesn't make it disappear. You can ignore the giant elephant on the table next to you (or was it the giant squid?) all you like but he's still there wink

I think that's besides the point, to be honest.
    Just because something happens, do you need to show it?
    And if so, why?

I'm all for arguing the moral validity of these creative choices, and Tom does so with a vengeance I appreciate.
    Yet based on Franz' comment, I would fall definitely on the side of keeping the scene (or at least defending its inclusion).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    What I would like you to do 'D' which you won't do is send your statement to the presidents of Harvard, Stanford, Baylor, Northwestern, and UCSD. I'll shut up if you get one to agree with you, which they won't of course. Read the Time magazine article. He had and still has a girlfriend and this nonsense had nothing to do with him. It was put in to sell tickets. That is Hollywood and always will be the way they operate. Zuckerberg's story has a lot of merit and could have made for an interesting film.
    Thomas

Tom, you live in your own world buddy. Of course they won't admit these things are going on, especially for such well known (internationally) institutions. Did you expect them to? Would you admit it publically if you were in their shoes, even if you know it's true? What does that have to do with the reality? I see the american media system is working pretty good on you though, that's very sad. Open your eyes. Read, compare sources, be informed, talk to people. Form your own opinion. Don't blindly follow the one shoved up our asses by the media. Each and everyone serves their own interests and the facebook owner and founder is a friggin billionaire, what did you expect them to say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I think that's besides the point, to be honest.
    Just because something happens, do you need to show it?
    And if so, why?

I'm all for arguing the moral validity of these creative choices, and Tom does so with a vengeance I appreciate.
    Yet based on Franz' comment, I would fall definitely on the side of keeping the scene (or at least defending its inclusion).

Martijn, have you seen the film? They're pretty crucial events as to what formed the conditions and cultural surroundings that pushed Mark to build facebook. Of course they're crucial to make you understand their motives a bit, not to agree with or morally approve them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, as I said: I haven't, which makes this conversation pretty interesting. smile

Seriously (and as I said earlier): I find the principle of the thing interesting. Not the particulars.
    And based on Franz' comment (and now yours as well) , it's pretty clear those scene(s) had a clear purpose and meaning that enhances understanding and/or empathy with the story. I'm perfectly happy with that (as much as mere exploitation annoys and bores me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On a general note and closer to Tom's arguments:

Since when are parties and having sex (especially at college) or being sexual (completely natural for all beings esp. humans and those few mammals who also do it for pleasure other than to simply repopulate) or getting wild actually wrong?
    And if they are, who says so? Who are we to say?
    Who are we to draw a moral line and say "we are right", "they are wrong"?
    How can you and anyway or me baptisize ourselves as "moral" and ban horny teenagers (men or women) as morally wrong?
    This puritanism bullcrap is driving me crazy, especially in a year and era when the world is facing so many greater and more serious problems.

I don't necessarily agree with that lifestyle but that's exactly my point here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah-HAH! Cultural relativism! Gotta love it!

(This is confusing the discussion though: it's not about the ACT, it's about the creative choices of SHOWING the act, which would be a way easier discuission -true- if the act was morally unambiguous!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I got your point dear friend. Judging by Tom's replies though i am not too sure he means it the same way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Fair enough. smile