• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011 edited
    Steven wrote
    The only way I'll be willing to spend more money on these films is if they release the original theatrical versions on blu-ray. Until then, Lucas can suck it.

yeah

PS - Boba Fett should not have a New Zealand accent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    Doesn't bother me any more than everyone else speaking in yankie or brit accents.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... no... Boba Fett originally DIDN'T have an accent. He actually sounded like a bad ass!!! George Lucas re-recorded the lines AFTER making that piece of shit Attack of the Clones.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Again, why do a couple of New Zealand Boba Fett lines have to bring down your overall enjoyment of a classy film. It's such a detail not worthy to go crazy over in the grand scheme of things.

I love the Ian McDiarmid cameo in Empire. Looks much better!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Steven wrote
    I'm so glad that Lucas had nothing to do with the Back To The Future trilogy. I would wage jihad upon anyone who dares to put CGI in those films!

Agree with you there. The effects in those films are part of the charm.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    JS: DRIVE (2011)

Reading all the 'disappointment' by mainstream audiences in advance (because it wasn't FAST AND THE FURIOUS 8 or whatever) coloured me excited, but I've always been torn on Winding Rrefn in the past. However, this was unquestionably his most accesible movie and a delightful, slow take on the action genre. His long still shots are the trademarks, of course, and Gosling's almost emotion-less character was wonderful. Albert Brooks did a mean mafia boss too! Martinez' score was already one of my favourites this year before I had even seen the movie.

Fantastic film. Best one I've watched this year.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Again, why do a couple of New Zealand Boba Fett lines have to bring down your overall enjoyment of a classy film. It's such a detail not worthy to go crazy over in the grand scheme of things.

A great film like Empire (or any of the original Star Wars films) are like pieces of art. They don't need changes, especially ones that actually detract from the film.

Yes, I could still enjoy the films overall, but I want to see the films *I* remember seeing when I was a kid. I don't want to see cgi in them, or hear Vader shout "Noooo!" All these little changes (of which there are more than just a New Zealand accent for Fett) culminate into something that resembles OCD on the part of Lucas, constantly going back and tweaking it; ruining it.

Just listen to this added 'scream' while Skywalker falls from the Bespin Cloud City added to the cinema releases of the special editions. No doubt he'll make even more changes in the 3D versions.

Until the originals are released, I simply don't want to watch these versions Lucas has shat over.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote

Can't see anything?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Hugo

In one word: boring.

Indeed, this is what i heard. The music doesn't help either, right?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote

Reading all the 'disappointment' by mainstream audiences in advance (because it wasn't FAST AND THE FURIOUS 8 or whatever) coloured me excited, but I've always been torn on Winding Rrefn in the past. However, this was unquestionably his most accesible movie and a delightful, slow take on the action genre. His long still shots are the trademarks, of course, and Gosling's almost emotion-less character was wonderful. Albert Brooks did a mean mafia boss too! Martinez' score was already one of my favourites this year before I had even seen the movie.

A bit pretentiously slow and artsy at places, but overall i'd say yes, it's one of the most powerful i've seen this year. The music is wonderful in it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Hugo

In one word: boring.

Indeed, this is what i heard. The music doesn't help either, right?

I thought the film was outstanding, by far the biggest visual treat at the cinema since Avatar. I loved everything about it from first moment to last, including the magical score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Magical score? Intriguing what you say about the movie, it's a sure watch for me mostly out of curiosity. But i am not sure what to expect of it from what i read around, it seems the reactions are either extremely positive or down the drain; the music on cd doesn't make any sense, i really hope the movie helps it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote

A bit pretentiously slow and artsy at places, but overall i'd say yes, it's one of the most powerful i've seen this year. The music is wonderful in it too.

The whole sequence of the elevator (you know which one I mean) is so brilliant. Just for that sequence is worth watching the film.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote

The whole sequence of the elevator (you know which one I mean) is so brilliant. Just for that sequence is worth watching the film.

I was talking about the one where he sits on the window and she stares at him, stares back at her, for 5 minutes. Nothing happens. And other similar scenes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    I was talking about the one where he sits on the window and she stares at him, stares back at her, for 5 minutes. Nothing happens. And other similar scenes.

Yeah, that's typical Refn. The human gaze, the temporal standstill and the "empty space" which are recurrent features in both his films as well as certain other directors. As far as I know, the film is actually an homage to Alejandro Jodorowsky.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    Just listen to this added 'scream' while Skywalker falls from the Bespin Cloud City added to the cinema releases of the special editions. No doubt he'll make even more changes in the 3D versions.

Holy crap, is that for real? That's got to be the most retarded change in the history of changes. I think this youtube comment is spot on:

It also totally undermines the moment; Luke is supposed to be being silently defiant - he'd rather die than join the Dark Side - but instead it ends up sounding like he's getting scared and regretting his decision halfway down!

And it's not even Mark Hamill's voice!

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, that's typical Refn. The human gaze, the temporal standstill and the "empty space" which are recurrent features in both his films as well as certain other directors. As far as I know, the film is actually an homage to Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Thor, have you seen Pusher? Brilliant film as well.

Haven't really enjoyed others of his films, besides Drive and Pusher. Bronson was weird, but strangely appealing. Bleeder, too depressing. Pusher 2 and 3 were letdowns. Valhalla rising was just awful.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pusher and Bleeder are his other films i should watch you say? What's Valhalla rising about and why is it awful? thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, VALHALLA RISING is awful, a missed opportunity to make a good viking film. THAT is a pretentious film, especially from the moment they sail out and untill the end.

PUSHER is OK, I've never seen the sequels.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote

Holy crap, is that for real? That's got to be the most retarded change in the history of changes. I think this youtube comment is spot on:

It also totally undermines the moment; Luke is supposed to be being silently defiant - he'd rather die than join the Dark Side - but instead it ends up sounding like he's getting scared and regretting his decision halfway down!

Peter smile

Precisely! The changes just don't make sense.

For example, why does old Anakin change to young Anakin at the end of Jedi when he dies as old Anakin? crazy

I would not be surprised if Lucas goes back and changes puppet Yoda to a CGI Yoda for the 3D releases... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Total recall

I love this movie. One of my favourite Schwarzenegger movies. I've always found it a shame that the guy went into politics. Obviously he's not a great actor, but there are certain roles he can do better than anyone. And he's the world champion of hilarious one-liners.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Schwarzenegger is [was] brilliant. I love watching old Schwarzenegger movies!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Pusher and Bleeder are his other films i should watch you say?

No, not Bleeder. But watch Pusher!

Christodoulides wrote
    What's Valhalla rising about and why is it awful? thanks

Sloooooooooow and self-important viking movie, without a good story. And with CGI blood effects, which is just inane.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Just listen to this added 'scream' while Skywalker falls from the Bespin Cloud City added to the cinema releases of the special editions. No doubt he'll make even more changes in the 3D versions

The scream was actually removed for the last DVD release of the movies.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    A great film like Empire (or any of the original Star Wars films) are like pieces of art. They don't need changes, especially ones that actually detract from the film.

Yes, I could still enjoy the films overall, but I want to see the films *I* remember seeing when I was a kid. I don't want to see cgi in them, or hear Vader shout "Noooo!" All these little changes (of which there are more than just a New Zealand accent for Fett) culminate into something that resembles OCD on the part of Lucas, constantly going back and tweaking it; ruining it.

Until the originals are released, I simply don't want to watch these versions Lucas has shat over.

BINGO!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Just listen to this added 'scream' while Skywalker falls from the Bespin Cloud City added to the cinema releases of the special editions. No doubt he'll make even more changes in the 3D versions

The scream was actually removed for the last DVD release of the movies.

-Erik-

Yep, hence 'cinema releases'. smile

But still, it's an utterly retarded change!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote

Peter smile

Precisely! The changes just don't make sense.

For example, why does old Anakin change to young Anakin at the end of Jedi when he dies as old Anakin? crazy

I would not be surprised if Lucas goes back and changes puppet Yoda to a CGI Yoda for the 3D releases... sad

Indeed. I don't really mind some of the changes, but if I had the choice between the originals and the edited versions, I'd choose the originals any day. Anyway, I'm not too upset about it, because the originals aren't truly replaced. Lucas isn't going around demanding that all traces of the originals must be deleted. The originals remain untouched, and the edited versions are curious bonus versions, that can be good for a laugh.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's true. Although he is making changes to pieces of art, it's not literally the same as, for example, taking the Mona Lisa itself and painting a more prominent smile on it. The originals are still intact and hopefully get a blu-ray release someday! But I still think it's a shame that he makes these apparently on going changes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Total recall

I love this movie. One of my favourite Schwarzenegger movies. I've always found it a shame that the guy went into politics. Obviously he's not a great actor, but there are certain roles he can do better than anyone. And he's the world champion of hilarious one-liners.

Peter biggrin

Yup, a true 80's action/sci fi classic with Verhoeven's typical trademarks. Love it! I've heard that they're planning a remake of this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They are. With a Harry Gregson-Williams score.

Yay.