• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011
    That jazz version of "2001" is by Eumir Deodato, it even became a big UK chart hit in the late 1960's.

An "elderly" Peter Sellers? How sad that the man suffered serious health problems with his heart, "elderly" Peter Sellers died at the grand old age of 55 sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    That jazz version of "2001" is by Eumir Deodato, it even became a big UK chart hit in the late 1960's.

An "elderly" Peter Sellers? How sad that the man suffered serious health problems with his heart, "elderly" Peter Sellers died at the grand old age of 55 sad

I probably don't understand the meaning of 'elderly' here. I always thought it was the age BEFORE you got old, but just after mid-life. Or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well, thanks to the flu I saw some movies this weekend:

On saturday morning we watched How To Train Your Dragon, the Dutch version. It was the third time I saw the movie and it was still great. The music, the visuals, everything. Several moments in the movie are so moving, I (almost) cry. Kids enjoyed it too and Quinn likes the music very much.

Then I saw a movie called Ramona and Beezus but I missed the first part of it, because I was zapping from one movie channel to the the other. Looks a sweet family movie. I think I saw most of it and I'll watch it again including the beginning.

Then, after some TV programs like O'Hanlons Heroes, I saw The Next Three Days. Really exciting thriller, enjoyed that one too.

Then we saw Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps... well, I don't understand anything about money and economy but still I was entertained as my day on the couch moved along.

Then in the evening we saw Up. It was nice like the last time but still the part where the talking dogs come in is a bit weird... I prefer the beginning of the movie more than the end.

On Sunday I watched Sanctum with the kids. Our TV guide on the TV did not give any warning, so I thought it was an adventure movie for all ages.... well, later on I saw it was 16+ and that made sense, some shocking stuff for children there, but I thought it was a really exciting movie with some stunning visuals.

In the evening we watched Tangled. Great fun! Quinn said she saw it in school and it was funny, well, she was right. Very funny and the scene with the lanterns is just breathtaking.

The Life of David Gale. Had seen it before, but seeing it again it really impressed me.

Christmas season means there are many movies on TV so we'll probably see many more soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited
    MONEY NEVER SLEEPS was an exceptionally poor follow up to WALL STREET, even worse it was excruciatingly boring. Maybe having a dose of flu allowed you to see something in it that I didn't? wink

I haven't seen DAVID GALE but want to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Wall Street 2 is one of the worst films I have ever seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Timmer wrote
    MONEY NEVER SLEEPS was an exceptionally poor follow up to WALL STREET, even worse it was excruciatingly boring. Maybe having a dose of flu allowed you to see something in it that I didn't? wink

It was passing time, really! I have no idea if the movie was good or not.

Recommended.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Wall Street 2 is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

I recommend PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE and ROBOT MONSTER ( complete with a score by none other than Elmer Bernstein ), on the plus side, neither film is boring.

For further insight I recommend Tim Burton's excellent film ED WOOD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Timmer wrote

It was passing time, really! I have no idea if the movie was good or not.

Recommended.

I will either rent it or buy it ( a lot of films are very cheap after a few years as long as they're not big money spinners ), I must also see THE NEXT THREE DAYS, have you seen the original French version? I wonder how it compares.
  1. Bregje wrote
    In the evening we watched Tangled. Great fun! Quinn said she saw it in school and it was funny, well, she was right. Very funny and the scene with the lanterns is just breathtaking.

I love TANGLED! It's Disney's best in ages. It follows the exact same formula as all of their 90s classics, but it goes through that formula in such an effective way!

We just watched THE HELP last night and really enjoyed it. It was funny and sad and thought-provoking and poignant. Although it was fairly long (something like 2.5 hours, I think?) it didn't feel it. That's quite a contrast to a bunch of other films I've seen recently that felt much longer than 2.5 hours, but weren't as long as this one (CAPTAIN AMERICA comes to mind). ***** / *****

We've also recently seen a few others recently:

KUNG FU PANDA 2 - I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It wasn't as funny as the original, but the story line was far more substantive, and actually pretty dark and dramatic. The score is great. **** / *****

HARRY POTTER AND THE CASH-COW-MILKING FINAL FILM. While I think the decision to split the final book into two films was a shameless plot to make double the money on it, I must say that they did far better with this film than the previous. This was one of the best Potter films (up there with the 3rd film, imo, and probably better). Desplat's score was also better than his HP part 7 part 1 score **** / *****

PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: ON TIRED FRANCHISES. This was not that good. I can't even point to too many things about it that I didn't like (though there were a few things I really didn't like about it), but I can say that I'm tired of Jack Sparrow. Everything about this film just felt like it was bored, including the score. **1/2 / *****
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Bregje wrote
    On saturday morning we watched How To Train Your Dragon, the Dutch version. It was the third time I saw the movie and it was still great. The music, the visuals, everything. Several moments in the movie are so moving, I (almost) cry. Kids enjoyed it too and Quinn likes the music very much.

I simply can't enjoy this film, it really does nothing to me on an emotional level, and most of the music annoys me, but then I've never been into Powell's ultra-busy and chaotic composing style. But what turns me off maybe the most is the voice over for the main character. Such a whiny brat I simply cannot cheer for the guy. They could've picked a better actor for this part. Maybe I should try the dutch version too but I generally hate dubs with a passion. slant
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    You mean Jay Baruchel??

I enjoyed it because I had seen The Scorcerers Apprentice too and it was a bit similar in character: clumsy but clever and at first not so succesful with the girl and later on he is. Very recognizable voice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bregje wrote

I simply can't enjoy this film, it really does nothing to me on an emotional level, and most of the music annoys me, but then I've never been into Powell's ultra-busy and chaotic composing style. But what turns me off maybe the most is the voice over for the main character. Such a whiny brat I simply cannot cheer for the guy. They could've picked a better actor for this part. Maybe I should try the dutch version too but I generally hate dubs with a passion. slant

You're dead to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    You are the first I know of who doesn't like it! dizzy
  2. Wait until my brother visits this topic. He'll have something to add on this very subject.

Steven wrote
    You're dead to me.

Too late! I'm undead ! :zombie:
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

Here's your coat... NOW GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!!

angry

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. grabbing coat

getting the FUCK out of here.....

see y'all tomorrow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011
    I also saw some of E.T. on TV in HD! It's so bizar, how do they do that??
  4. I always wondered how pre-HD films could be shown on TV in HD. But I assume that if a film is not compressed for TV then the image would be HD.

By the same token, you could not take an ordinary TV film and "blow it up" to show on a cinema screen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I guess the copy they have is super super HD?

I've downloaded TV recordings of all the Indy films in 1080p to tide me over til the blu rays come out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011 edited
    Film is an analogue medium. Rescan the film at a higher resolution - bingo - HD transfer.

A TV production finished on film could conceivably be re-transferred and broadcast/released in HD assuming that the original elements are available; The Prisoner is a notable example of this.
  5. Bregje wrote
    I also saw some of E.T. on TV in HD! It's so bizar, how do they do that??

At what resolution do you think it originally aired in theatres? It was a bit higher than 720x576 (our native resolution for DVD).

But it's indeed strange, as the film hasn't yet been released on blu-ray.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm halfway through the second season of BREAKING BAD...man, what a great show, one of those where you just have to watch ONE more episode before you call it quits, and then it's suddenly 3 in the morning. I've been too preoccupied with finding paranormal tv shows that I've postponed more "realistic" stuff like this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011 edited
    It's very addictive! It's great to see the progression of Walt and Jessie's characters as the seasons go on. Having watched the season 4 finale the other day, it is without a doubt one the best -if not the best- finales I've ever seen!

I believe season 5 will be the last? Which is a relief -- I imagine one more season is just what it needs. No more, no less. (It's also the first time I've seen CGI used in a long-running TV show that literally... literally... rivals some of the best visual effects in films.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    It's very addictive! It's great to see the progression of Walt and Jessie's characters as the seasons go on. Having watched the season 4 finale the other day, it is without a doubt one the best -if not the best- finales I've ever seen!

I believe season 5 will be the last? Which is a relief -- I imagine one more season is just what it needs. No more, no less. (It's also the first time I've seen CGI used in a long-running TV show that literally... literally... rivals some of the best visual effects in films.)

CGI!?! In THIS show? Wow, tantalizing!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    Star Trek (2009)

Despite its reliance on coincidence to fuel the plot (bad writing!) and absurd lens flare, it's pretty enjoyable. Giacchino's score is a blast.

Toy Story 3D

My first 3D Blu Ray to try out on the new tv. Looked spectacular. Great film, too - haven't seen it for years. Holds up very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011
    Paris At Midnight the new Woody Allen film which deals with going back in time.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Paris At Midnight the new Woody Allen film which deals with going back in time.
    Tom

I loved it. As with every film he makes, all the reviews say "At last he's back on form" but this time it was actually true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The dirty old man concept seemed to disappear. I liked the story but I'm not so sure about the casting.
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Southall wrote
    Star Trek (2009)

Despite its reliance on coincidence to fuel the plot (bad writing!) and absurd lens flare, it's pretty enjoyable. Giacchino's score is a blast.

The coincidence thing annoyed me almost as much as Mi3's self conscious plotting. The endless teases of LOST's first season (or the first half of it) and Felicity's Noel/Ben indecisiveness fit in with this. Abrams is the master of tasteful scenes that involve you and get your attention, but at the expense of the overall piece. (The shame of it is these things are otherwise usually very well-made!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am