• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The King's Speech

Just brilliant, nothing more you can add to that

10 out of 10

can't argue
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The King's Speech

10 out of 10

Yes, I thought it was an excellent film.

We don't need guns, cars, explosions and bucket loads of CGI to be engaged in a film.... though it's needed at times
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011
    christopher wrote
    Last night I saw RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. It's pretty good, but I was a little disappointed after hearing from a lot of people that it was great. The story telling seemed really manipulated, many of the actions of the main characters were unbelievable to me, and the effects, while pretty impressive, still looked like CGI, and not even as good as King Kong was several years ago. Despite all that it was still quite watchable. ***/*****

One of my top favourite films from 2011!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The plot requires a few leaps, but I was very impressed with the storytelling that went without words for large stretches.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Watched the BBC's new version of Great Expectations - first episode. Really enjoyed it (I do not know the story). Gillian Anderson was captivating (again).

I would like to hear more of Martin Phipps' score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Didn't they do a version back in 2003 or something?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The King's Speech

10 out of 10

Yes, I thought it was an excellent film.

We don't need guns, cars, explosions and bucket loads of CGI to be engaged in a film.... though it's needed at times

I loved The King's Speech, but a car chase wouldn't have hurt. And perhaps a tentacled monster and a couple of giant robots with laser cannons and x-ray vision would have been a good idea.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Robin Hood (2010)

Flawed movie, that kind of annoyed me at times. But somehow I ended up enjoying it.

I think the Costner version was better, though rather more cheesy.

My rating: 7

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

I loved The King's Speech, but a car chase wouldn't have hurt. And perhaps a tentacled monster and a couple of giant robots with laser cannons and x-ray vision would have been a good idea.

Peter smile

Now that would make me want to watch it! (It would probably end up being more historically correct than the movie as it is so I've read.)
  4. plindboe wrote
    Robin Hood (2010)

Flawed movie, that kind of annoyed me at times. But somehow I ended up enjoying it.

Peter smile
    Which version did you saw?
    Because there's a director's cut.
  5. Sorry. Double post.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Robin Hood (2010)

Peter smile

Very generous of you, I'd give it 2/10.

And yeah, I'll take Costner's cheesy version over it. Neither is anywhere near as good as Richard Lester's 1976 film ROBIN & MARIAN.

Of course, Errol Flynn's version is in a class all by itself! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watched the BBC's new version of Great Expectations - first episode. Really enjoyed it (I do not know the story). Gillian Anderson was captivating (again).

I would like to hear more of Martin Phipps' score.

How many times has this been made?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm in the mood for a Perry Mason tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The King's Speech

10 out of 10

I am really looking forward to that one. It's on the movie channel tonight and I already planned to watch it a week ago, so I can't wait!

Well, thanks to the movie channel I also saw Prince of Persia - Sands of Time again. I had already seen it, but now I watched it with Quinn. I think it's such a great movie. A good mix of everything and all in the right place.

In the evening I saw Sanctum again, because Maykel hadn't seen it yet. Again, it impressed me a lot. I searched for the music too because I noticed it and seeing the movie again I noticed the music even more. Has anyone seen this movie? I thought it was very exciting and beautiful too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    smile
    I taped Sanctum, and have set the timer for The King's Speech tonight too! (I have a dinner engagement so I can't watch live.). Synchronicity!

The only point where we deviate is with Prince Of Persia, which simply couldn't hold my attention both times I tried.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    Watched a really good documentary last night called Hot Coffee about the legal system in the US. Really an eye opener.
    Tom

Martijn you would really like this one.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING ( 1975 )

Brilliant cast, brilliant story, brilliant dialogue, brilliant settings and gloriously un-PC as it should be for a film set in the 1800's, Maurice Jarre's score is perfect for the film.

They really don't make films like this anymore.

10/10
  6. The Sean Connery and Michael Caine adaptation of...

was it a Rudyard Kipling short story?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Sean Connery and Michael Caine adaptation of...

I didn't give much of a description did I? rolleyes You're absolutely right Pawel, it is from the Kipling story, Christopher Plummer plays a key role as Kipling in the movie. If you've never seen it I highly recommend that you do, story telling and lead actors chemistry par excellence, one of THE great film IMO.
  7. I have seen it, but hardly remember it. I think I was about 11-12 when I see it and it's already like

15-16 years ago shocked
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I didn't give much of a description did I? rolleyes You're absolutely right Pawel, it is from the Kipling story, Christopher Plummer plays a key role as Kipling in the movie. If you've never seen it I highly recommend that you do, story telling and lead actors chemistry par excellence, one of THE great film IMO.

It's one of a few films which rotate occasionally into the "my favourite film of all" position.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

It's one of a few films which rotate occasionally into the "my favourite film of all" position.

Out of interest, what is your "rotating" top 10 films of all time James?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I have seen it, but hardly remember it. I think I was about 11-12 when I see it and it's already like

15-16 years ago shocked

Far too long ago. Watch it again Pawel smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I'll forget some, but these are some of my favourites:

Lawrence of Arabia
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Thin Red Line
    Godfather I + II
    Apocalypse Now
    Dr Strangelove
    North by Northwest
    Goodfellas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Brilliant cast, brilliant story, brilliant dialogue, brilliant settings and gloriously un-PC as it should be for a film set in the 1800's, Maurice Jarre's score is perfect for the film.

10/10

Does it have proper character motivations and scenes that actually flow from one to the next? It's all I can ask for these days... my standards for an enjoyable film have been somewhat lowered after many of today's blockbuster films.

I'm not really this pessimistic, but many of today's CGI wankfests do annoy me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

10/10

Does it have proper character motivations and scenes that actually flow from one to the next? It's all I can ask for these days... my standards for an enjoyable film have been somewhat lowered after many of today's blockbuster films.

I'm not really this pessimistic, but many of today's CGI wankfests do annoy me.

Have you really not seen this film? ( I ask because it's shown reasonably regularly on TV )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope, never. I might have caught the odd scene, but not to my memory.

Your description has me wanting to see it though! Especially the un-PC bit. Fuck movies that pander to political correctness!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nope, never. I might have caught the odd scene, but not to my memory.

Your description has me wanting to see it though! Especially the un-PC bit. Fuck movies that pander to political correctness!

It has none of that "modern" sensibility that seems to infest many films set in a certain time period.

Do yourself a favour and see it, it's good old fashioned story telling with a proper begining and ending, sparkling dialogue and a good story with character development etc etc, I've seen this film a lot of times and I still thoroughly enjoyed viewing it this afternoon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I'll forget some, but these are some of my favourites:

Lawrence of Arabia
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    The Thin Red Line
    Godfather I + II
    Apocalypse Now
    Dr Strangelove
    North by Northwest
    Goodfellas

I like the cut of your jib sir cool beer

Just in case anyone cares here's a "rotating at the moment" top 10 of mine...

GODFATHER I & II
    ICE COLD IN ALEX
    THE NIGHT OF THE DEMON
    THE LADYKILLERS
    THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING
    UNFORGIVEN
    GOODFELLAS
    RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
    GET CARTER
    JAWS