• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Total recall

I love this movie. One of my favourite Schwarzenegger movies. I've always found it a shame that the guy went into politics. Obviously he's not a great actor, but there are certain roles he can do better than anyone. And he's the world champion of hilarious one-liners.

Peter biggrin

Yup, a true 80's action/sci fi classic with Verhoeven's typical trademarks. Love it! I've heard that they're planning a remake of this.

90's, Thor, 90's. And they are filming (have filmed) a remake (I think filmed in Toronto) with Colin Farrell in the lead... and they don't go to Mars. How fucked up is that?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Total recall

I love this movie. One of my favourite Schwarzenegger movies. I've always found it a shame that the guy went into politics. Obviously he's not a great actor, but there are certain roles he can do better than anyone. And he's the world champion of hilarious one-liners.

Peter biggrin

Yup, a true 80's action/sci fi classic with Verhoeven's typical trademarks. Love it! I've heard that they're planning a remake of this.

They are, Colin Feckin Farrell is in the lead role.

I hope they don't include an eye-bulging sequence at the end like they did in the original, that was exceptionally silly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I hope they don't include an eye-bulging sequence at the end like they did in the original, that was exceptionally silly.

Says you! That was AWESOME!

SWON!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love that bit too! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NOPE! It was EXCEPTIONALLY silly! FACT!

DWFA!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    DWFA!

Daughter's with furry asses?

You're not playing this game right, Timmer. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DWFA!

Daughter's with furry asses?

Fuck yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Pusher and Bleeder are his other films i should watch you say?

No, not Bleeder. But watch Pusher!

Christodoulides wrote
    What's Valhalla rising about and why is it awful? thanks

Sloooooooooow and self-important viking movie, without a good story. And with CGI blood effects, which is just inane.

Peter slant

Why not Bleeder? I will cut my veins and bleed afterwards?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Demetris wrote

I was talking about the one where he sits on the window and she stares at him, stares back at her, for 5 minutes. Nothing happens. And other similar scenes.

Sounds like my kind of movie. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: MELANCHOLIA (2011)

Hmmm....I don't know. The opening is some of the most gobsmackingly beautiful I've seen in a while, and I can only curse my crappy tv set-up that doesn't do it justice. Rivals the best segments from TREE OF LIFE, a series of audiovisual tableaux with Wagner's powerful music. It's as if von Trier is now operating on the opposite side of the scale from his Dogme expression, throwing on everything. I hate Dunst's apathetic character (even though I know she's supposed to mirror the micro from the macro), but love the brooding atmosphere related to the collision course planet. Von Trier is a master of mood. Like TREE OF LIFE, it's a movie that's supposed to be digested in order to give a more full review, so that's exactly what I'll have to do. I liked it, but it didn't grab me like his previous efforts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    JS... Just seen? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    JS... Just seen? uhm

Yup.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011 edited
    Hmm. I'm very much looking forward to MELANCHOLIA for exactly the reasons you mention. I also loved that visual part of AntiChrist (the opening scene left me with my mouth open), but that film had a lot that made it difficult for me to fully appreciate and I was hoping Melancholia would be a film I more wholesomely love. So I'm still hoping the other, more irritable, things you mention won't affect me as much, but I've heard that a lot as well. Still, I thought Tree of Life was brilliant, and after the many comparisons between the two I've heard (it seems they're like opposite sides of the same coin?) I'm getting more and more eager to watch this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Hmm. I'm very much looking forward to MELANCHOLIA for exactly the reasons you mention. I also loved that visual part of AntiChrist (the opening scene left me with my mouth open), but that film had a lot that made it difficult for me to fully appreciate and I was hoping Melancholia would be a film I more wholesomely love. So I'm still hoping the other, more irritable, things you mention won't affect me as much, but I've heard that a lot as well. Still, I thought Tree of Life was brilliant, and after the many comparisons between the two I've heard (it seems they're like opposite sides of the same coin?) I'm getting more and more eager to watch this.

He's using the same fantastic, extreme slo-mo technique as he did in ANTICHRIST. This is a far more accesible film, though (relatively speaking, of course, since von Trier isn't exactly your average Hollywood flick).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011 edited
    Well, since AntiChrist features a woman that mutilates the genitals of her husband and then starts mutilating herself, all the while masturbating in the wild among foxes that eat their own intestines, it's always been a safe bet Melancholia would be more accessible. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    BobdH wrote
    Well, since AntiChrist features a woman that mutilates the genitals of her husband and then starts mutilating herself, all the while masturbating in the wild among foxes that eat their own intestines, it's always been a safe bet Melancholia would be more accessible. smile

Seriously' is that what Antichrist is about? I knew about the infamous clitoris cut off scene but i haven't seen it yet, i'd imagine there's, ahem, more to it????

As for the slo-mo technique, yeah it looks fascinating; it's also in the melancholia trailer. Almost like an alive painting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    BobdH wrote

Seriously' is that what Antichrist is about? I knew about the infamous clitoris cut off scene but i haven't seen it yet, i'd imagine there's, ahem, more to it????

Absolutely. Bob was just being tongue-in-cheek and pointing out the 'shock value' elements. It's a powerful parable about the loss of a child (among other things).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmmm so you say i should watch it? I was a fan of his previous works, mostly; but didn't catch up since this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Hmmm so you say i should watch it? I was a fan of his previous works, mostly; but didn't catch up since this film.

I think you should, yes. Be aware that it's not really a horror film, although it has a very eerie, David Lynchian mood at times. It's quite "uncomfortable", but so are all of von Trier's films. Gainsbourg and Defoe are brilliant, as usual.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm just about to get to the end of season 4 of Breaking Bad, and was wondering if anyone else watches this show? All I can say is believe the hype. One of the finest dramas I've ever seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

I think you should, yes. Be aware that it's not really a horror film, although it has a very eerie, David Lynchian mood at times. It's quite "uncomfortable", but so are all of von Trier's films. Gainsbourg and Defoe are brilliant, as usual.

I usually describe it as an intimate drama in which the inner horrors and demons of the characters are made tangible through horrorfilm techniques. So, yes, it's disturbing, and yes, it's there for a reason, but the final act, to me, was bereft of deeper meaning or emotion and played mostly for shocks. Still, see for yourself, the film has enough merits to be experienced at least once, especially if you're a fan of the director.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To Steven's post

This is about the teacher who's dying and turns to crime to secure his families future, right? I haven't seen any of it but have only heard very good reports, I'll try and catch up at some point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, it's been recommended to me as well by a couple of people I trust implicitly. Not been able to catch it yet, but I will!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's extremely well made. I think if I was to sum it up in one word, that word would be tense. There are many genuinely nail-biting moments. But it's also a great 'character study' (as they say). It only gets better as it goes along purely because the writers clearly know what they're doing, and how to deal with previous events and set ups.

I guarantee both of you will appreciate this show!

Not that it's needed for most of us, but if there was one show to put you off meth, it's this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    Steven wrote
    I'm just about to get to the end of season 4 of Breaking Bad, and was wondering if anyone else watches this show? All I can say is believe the hype. One of the finest dramas I've ever seen.

I've just started it (finished season 1). Don't give any spoilers! It's very good.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Trust me, it only gets better! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: THE EAGLE (2011)

Damn, I had actually hoped this was a decent Roman epic, but by God it was lousy. Anonymous "beef boy" lead without charisma, tons of clichées and the idea of noble Roman invadors against savage Scottish tribesmen. This was like the TERRA NOVA of movies this year. I wonder if it was sponsored by Fox TV?

JS: TRUE GRIT (2011)

I don't know...the Coens are always a bit on/off to me. Performances by Bridges, Damon, the girl etc. are funny in their overblown ways, and the dialogue is totally out there (as if they're satirizing old film speech from the time of the original). It was OK, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011
    RV: LOST (Entire series!!)

Saw all 6 seasons in about three weeks. Got so hooked, and was sad when it ended! Immediately finished completing my collection of Giacchino's scores to the show. Quite possibly my favorite series ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011 edited
    JS: BEING THERE (1979)

Classic Hal Ashby film starring an elderly Peter Sellers as the gardner Chance with an innocent child mind, a tabula rasa, who suddenly rises to high ranks in American society -- simply by 'chance' or 'being there'. The portrayal is excellent and far more sophisticated than later versions such as FORREST GUMP or JACK. But it's not really an innocent story, as it tries to satirize over fame, fortune and media in American culture. The ending took me completely off-guard, though. Brilliant!

The score by Johnny Mandel is cool. Love the jazz version of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" as Chance discovers life outside the mansion for the first time.
    I am extremely serious.