• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011
    The Tree of Life

I haven't spoken about this before. For some reason I find it hard to say what I want to say about it. It's an extraordinary film, let's leave it at that for now.
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Wait until my brother visits this topic. He'll have something to add on this very subject.

Steven wrote
    You're dead to me.

Too late! I'm undead ! :zombie:

what can I say, he's my brother, it's a genetic thing, please understand that it doesn't affect all Glorieux's shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. The Fighter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l-kIhJ5j8)

Very strong movie, performances are stunning. Direction is spot on, I only hate the music. There's no emotion coming out of it. Because of the non existent music, you're getting the feeling you're seeing some kind of biography (which is totally understandable and perhaps the reason too), but I need my movies to move me. Stuff like we hear in Remember the Titans, Invincible, .... If they would have added the trailer music of the movie The Fighter, I'm sure I would have been ecstatic about it

8 out of 10

------------------------------

Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkKkAg4E … re=related)

Probably one of the most unusual Christmas movies to see on Christmas eve, but what a movie it is. From the very first second I was hooked, I love the authentic feel and the unbelievable tale of friendship and respect, it shows you how dumb war actually is. Rombi's music is excellent and I thought all the actors brought something amazing to the screen (especially the French commander was very very moving). I love the trailer too, finally a trailer using the movie music of the film itself.

8 out of 10
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wait until my brother visits this topic. He'll have something to add on this very subject.

Steven wrote
    You're dead to me.

Too late! I'm undead ! :zombie:

what can I say, he's my brother, it's a genetic thing, please understand that it doesn't affect all Glorieux's shame

Oh definitely, just call it my recessive genes to your dominant genes. And you do know it works the other way around as well huh?

Like when you don't like certain genuine classics? I shall not put any names here...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. THE HANGOVER PART II

Or 'The Second Hangover' as they should've called it. Pretty much as hilarious as the first and I had a great time just waiting for what would happen next, because both these films are not your run-of-the-mill and predictable comedies that center around cheesy character humour. It's the whole concept that works so well and though the jokes can be pretty rude at times it didn't stop me from laughing out loud on a constant basis. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE HANGOVER PART II

Or 'The Second Hangover' as they should've called it. Pretty much as hilarious as the first and I had a great time just waiting for what would happen next, because both these films are not your run-of-the-mill and predictable comedies that center around cheesy character humour. It's the whole concept that works so well and though the jokes can be pretty rude at times it didn't stop me from laughing out loud on a constant basis. biggrin

I liked it too, although the novelty factor of the premise has worn off.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE HANGOVER PART II

I enjoyed the first one a lot, I haven't seen the second one yet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE HANGOVER PART II

I enjoyed the first one a lot, I didn't like the second as much, just because what made the first one so renewing isn't anymore on board with the second. It's completely the same. And for me that was the real strength of the first one, still a solid 6
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE HANGOVER PART II

It's the same as the first one, except this time in Vietnam! Oh my god! shocked

rolleyes

One of the characters actually says "I can't believe this is happening again". Why did it have to be a wedding again? Why not something else? Lazy... and sometimes genuinely uncomfortable. Rubbish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2011 edited
    E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

This was showing on ITV HD the other day, and to my delight it was the original version. I haven't seen this film for years, and even then it was the so-called 'special' edition released in 2002 with a CG face for ET and politically correct goons with walkie-talkies and not shotguns.

Anyway.

I'd forgotten just how good this film is! It's great to see a film with a proper heart and soul (unlike many modern blockbusters I've been watching recently). I'd also forgotten just how funny the early scenes with ET were.

...oh, and I was watching it with family and I had to stifle the emotions since the music gets to me every time, with or without the film. I don't think I'd ever exercised that level of restraint since the last time I heard it live in concert.
  6. But it's not the same movie in another setting. The events that unfold are different. What makes it funny is these guys just go through the same shit all over again, but it's a lot crazier in the second IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    The events that unfold are different.
    ...these guys just go through the same shit all over again

Exactly! Different events, same shit. wink

Fair enough if you enjoy it though, not for me to say otherwise. Although it should be.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

This was showing on ITV HD the other day, and to my delight it was the original version. I haven't seen this film for years, and even then it was the so-called 'special' edition released in 2002 with a CG face for ET and politically correct goons with walkie-talkies and not shotguns.

Anyway.

I'd forgotten just how good this film is! It's great to see a film with a proper heart and soul (unlike many modern blockbusters I've been watching recently). I'd also forgotten just how funny the early scenes with ET were.

...oh, and I was watching it with family and I had to stifle the emotions since the music gets to me every time, with or without the film. I don't think I'd ever exercised that level of restraint since the last time I heard it live in concert.

yeah

I have very strong emotional connections to both film and score which I've mentioned before somewhere, anyway, I don't want to get maudling, the film is genuine movie magic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The ET gets drunk scene genuinely had me in tears of laughter, and the final scene genuinely had me in tears of emotion - to which the music plays a BIG part. (Well, as said, the latter I had to stifle somewhat in order to save face...)

I dread to think what this film would be like were it made today... although I suppose we got a glimpse of it in 2002.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I saw the film on it's release in Christmas 1982, the hype was about how people were crying when ET "dies", that scene came and went with me still dry eyed, it was when they all said goodbye that killed me, well, that and the bit where they all fly on their bikes at the road block. I wish I had some more succict words to describe what this film does to me than to just keep saying it's 'movie magic' but 'movie magic' it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    E.T. was one of my main analyses in my master thesis, so I have a close connection to that one. Plus the whole nostalgia thing, of course (even though I was too young to see it in the theatres....I saw it on VHS several years later).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm now well into season 3 of BREAKING BAD, and this is one of the best shows I've seen in years. Totally addictive, which is ironic, given the subject matter.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Totally addictive, which is ironic, given the subject matter.

biggrin

For such a 'heavy' show, it's surprisingly easy to watch. It's spoilt me though -- I'm desperately on the lookout for something of equal quality!
  7. Timmer wrote
    I saw the film on it's release in Christmas 1982, the hype was about how people were crying when ET "dies", that scene came and went with me still dry eyed, it was when they all said goodbye that killed me, well, that and the bit where they all fly on their bikes at the road block. I wish I had some more succict words to describe what this film does to me than to just keep saying it's 'movie magic' but 'movie magic' it is.

This is strange coming from someone who says Spielberg is one of his top three directors, but E.T. is a film I don't have a strong connection with. Of all Spielberg films this is one of the few I don't want to watch every couple of years... In fact it has been 10 years or so if I'm not mistaken. I'd rather watch Hook, SPR, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, CE3K or Artificial Intelligence. All movies that have found a place in my heart where E.T. hasn't. Shocking I know, and I can't really explain why this is. E.T. has all the Spielberg trademarks and a legendary score that I love to hear on a regular basis, but maybe my cinema experience back in '82 has forever tainted my thoughts on the film. That little guy scared the bejesus out of me, and he has given me many nightmares after. I simply couldn't watch that film for many years later without feeling frightened.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011 edited
    You're a Glorieux, that explains it. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Totally addictive, which is ironic, given the subject matter.

biggrin

For such a 'heavy' show, it's surprisingly easy to watch. It's spoilt me though -- I'm desperately on the lookout for something of equal quality!

I've heard good things about Boardwalk Empire ( I haven't seen any though ), of course there is always THE SOPRANOS if you've never seen it, IMO one of the greatest TV series ever made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Seen on Saturday:

Het Geheim - Dutch family movie. Very cute. With Theo Maassen, who is always great I think.

A Christmas Carol - the Jim Carrey version. Forgot how scary it was! Jim Carrey is great too.

Unstoppable - 'old fashioned' thriller about trains. No special effects, it's not even about terrorism, just a story about a mistake that needs to be fixed. Nice action thriller, nothing too special but enjoyable.
  8. Southall wrote
    The Tree of Life

I haven't spoken about this before. For some reason I find it hard to say what I want to say about it. It's an extraordinary film, let's leave it at that for now.

There's a lot to get out of that one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I've heard good things about Boardwalk Empire ( I haven't seen any though ), of course there is always THE SOPRANOS if you've never seen it, IMO one of the greatest TV series ever made.

I've tried Boardwalk Empire, but I just couldn't get into to it. I got about half way through the first season and gave up. It's definitely a quality show... but I just could not for the life of me get into to it. Most of the time it bored the crap out of me.

Sopranos I've been meaning to watch for a long time, but haven't got round to it for some reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Watched a really good documentary last night called Hot Coffee about the legal system in the US. Really an eye opener.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  9. Last night I saw RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. It's pretty good, but I was a little disappointed after hearing from a lot of people that it was great. The story telling seemed really manipulated, many of the actions of the main characters were unbelievable to me, and the effects, while pretty impressive, still looked like CGI, and not even as good as King Kong was several years ago. Despite all that it was still quite watchable. ***/*****
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KING KONG still looked dodgy in a few shots, the worst bit was the blancmange dinosaurs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    christopher wrote
    Last night I saw RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. It's pretty good, but I was a little disappointed after hearing from a lot of people that it was great. The story telling seemed really manipulated, many of the actions of the main characters were unbelievable to me, and the effects, while pretty impressive, still looked like CGI, and not even as good as King Kong was several years ago. Despite all that it was still quite watchable. ***/*****

I felt the film enjoyed such a positive response mainly thanks to the lowered expectations nowadays. When all blockbusters are increasingly emotionless and especially within a franchise that has had very poor renditions for the last 4 times or so, people were surprised to simply see actual emotion, some character development in Ceasar and a new leap in performance capture in the film. However, in the big scheme of things, that does not necessarily add up to a brilliant or great film. It should be simply the basic standard of a film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    KING KONG still looked dodgy in a few shots, the worst bit was the blancmange dinosaurs.

True, overall creature effects in King Kong were pretty poor, but the animation of the big ape itself (clearly the character that received the most attention from the effects crew) was amazing and, to me, more impressive then any ape in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
  10. The King's Speech

Just brilliant, nothing more you can add to that

10 out of 10