• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    This was what I was fearing.
    But I wish I'd seen it. And then written this.
    http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/review/war-horse.php

LOL

I'm fucking killed! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012
    JS: ANOTHER YEAR (2011)

Back in the day, I used to hate Mike Leigh and his contemporary kitchen sink realism. Now I like it. Solid characters and performances that constitute the narrative nerve in and of themselves (without much else to speak of). But I do wonder why we never saw anything more of the Imelda Staunton character in the beginning....was she merely there to work as an overture to people unhappy with their lives?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012
    JS: ANIMAL KINGDOM (2011)

Australian film about the life of a crime family, with an emotionally distant mother, her adult crime sons and her bewildered grandson. I thought it was a pretty good film; several long stretches that are almost introspective in style -- more about the consequences of the actions rather than the actions themselves. Quite excellent score too that really put the hypnotic stretches in relieff. Can't remember the guy's name....Antony something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012 edited
    World's greatest dad (trailer)

For a movie with a rating of 7.0 on imdb, I didn't enjoy it at all. Not the best acting performances; dull story; few funny moments. Oh, and am I the only one here who've really come to hate songs in movies? Everyone seems to say that this movie was super sad when [spoiler]Robin Williams found his son dead[/spoiler], but the use of a crappy song in this dramatic moment just made me think "What the hell is this crap? Why don't they use some proper scoring?". Perhaps this is a side effect of being a score fan. Songs completely turn me off and make it impossible for me to make an emotional connection to the scene in question.

My rating: 3 out of 10

Super (trailer)

Seemed like second rate Kick-ass. Some funny moments, but not too many of them. The main characters were psychopaths, so it was a bit difficult rooting for them. Most extreme violence I've ever seen in a comedy.

My rating: 6

Primer (trailer)

Very confusing movie. I had no idea what was happening while I was watching it. English being my second language had alot to do with it, but the fact that the movie is fast and complex and even deliberately tries to confuse the viewer are other reasons. I had to go and read a long analysis online to figure out what the movie was about. Intelligent movie, but it ultimately failed because they made it too confusing.

My rating: 5

8 mile (trailer)

I really do hate rap, and I think rap battles are some of the most bizarre things on this planet. Somehow I ended up enjoying this movie though. Eminem was ok, but he was always sorrounded by huge black guys so he looked like a tiny, frightened boy this entire movie.

My rating: 7

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: THE YELLOW SEA aka HWANG HAE (2010)

Korean thriller about a bankrupt cab driver who gets hired to do a hit as a last resort, but then he gets entangled into problems with both the police and the mob. It's a long film, almost 3 hours, and about halfway through, things start to get really complicated (names, characters, connections), typical of the Korean action/thriller films. Wasn't better with crappy subtitles. However, it had some really intense and bloody action sequences of which I've hardly seen before. Frustrating and rewarding at the same time.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

Australian film about the life of a crime family, with an emotionally distant mother, her adult crime sons and her bewildered grandson. I thought it was a pretty good film; several long stretches that are almost introspective in style -- more about the consequences of the actions rather than the actions themselves. Quite excellent score too that really put the hypnotic stretches in relieff. Can't remember the guy's name....Antony something.

Glad to hear it communicated well outside of the country. It's a very stylish film. In some ways the treatment of key scenes reminded me of the direction of LET THE RIGHT ONE IN.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

Glad to hear it communicated well outside of the country. It's a very stylish film. In some ways the treatment of key scenes reminded me of the direction of LET THE RIGHT ONE IN.

The Swedish version, right?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: THE MILL AND THE CROSS (2011)

Weird, abstract art film in the literal sense of the word, as it takes as its point of departure Pieter Bruegel the Elder's 1564 painting The Way to Calvary and some of the characters and scenarios depicted within, with Rutger Hauer as the artist. Basically just a series of tableaux set against a painting-like backdrop, interspersing Jesus' Passion with religious perspecution in Flanders in the 1500's. Among other things. Seems like a film suited to my taste (heavy on the audiovisual symbolism, little dialogue), but I did fall off a few times.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

That's the one called LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. I haven't seen LET ME IN.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

That's the one called LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. I haven't seen LET ME IN.

Ah, that's true. I've seen both, and while the American remake is OK, it fails to nail that particular atmosphere of suburban Sweden in the 70's, which is such a crucial backdrop for the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. It's not a remake, it's a readaptation of John Alvide Linqvist's book. Both movies have their own atmosphere, but still they do justice to the book (Linqvist himself said it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's not a remake, it's a readaptation of John Alvide Linqvist's book. Both movies have their own atmosphere, but still they do justice to the book (Linqvist himself said it).

I don't agree. There are unique aspects of the book that can only be mirrored in the exact setting of suburban, winter-heavy Sweden in the 70's. Plus, the American version is far more conventional. But it's still pretty good.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. STAR WARRIORS

On the Star Wars blu-ray box set. A documentary which features a bunch of members of the 501st Legion, people who dress up as Star Wars characters (mostly imperial stormtroopers) and go to events and act all imperial or rebellious. This movie focuses on a select group of people from all over the world getting picked from a big list to march in a giant new year's parade in Pasadena, California. So cool to watch real life stormtroopers with the evillest lord of them all, Darth Vader (who is also the leader of the 501st) train for the big event. I was particularly impressed by to which extent some of these guys and girls show their love for Star Wars, there's a guy who has an absolute amazing collection of every action figure, some of them even in huge numbers. I can't honestly say I'm a SW fan when I see the dedication these guys have for their beloved franchise. Overall a very fun, informative look at a world I wouldn't mind being a part of, if I had the time or jedi willpower to do so... smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012
    I watched Suspicion (1941) last night with Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine (from Rebecca), Nigel Bruce (Watson) and Cedric Hardwicke (Ghost of Frankenstein). The Alfred Hitchcock picture was released be RKO and music was from Franz Waxman, his second collaboration with Alfred, the first being Rebecca. Here is a question that one of you might answer. There is a scene at the end of the picture called "Too Fast" which was later used by Selznick in what film? Hitchcock also made strong use of Strauss "Weiner Blut" which popped up on many occasions in versions other than only a waltz.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012
    Their is no OST but you can get a 12 minute suite on Varese #VCD 47225
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012
    The 6th day

Not exactly an Arnie classic like Total recall, but it's pretty damn entertaining. Rabin's music is excellent as well.

Rating: 7

Underworld: Evolution

Übercool.

The rocketeer

Wow, this was corny. So many cringeworthy lines and scenes. I love the music though.

Rating: 4

Willow

The choreography in the sword fights was atrocious. Pretty entertaining adventure movie though. I like Horner's score, but wasn't too surprised to find out that the main theme had been ripped off from some bulgarian folk song.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012
    The 6th Day gets 7 but Rocketeer only 4!? Mental.

I watched The Rocketeer for the first time a few weeks back and I loved it! It's very much a movie-movie; where badies are badies and goodies are goodies. It lags a bit in the middle, but overall I really enjoyed it. Plus it's got a nazi blimp.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012 edited
    THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY ( 1954 )

Just watched this on BBC 2, an early forerunner of Irwin Allen's disaster movies starring John Wayne in a disaster struck airliner, DIMITRI TIOMKIN did the score which I thought was AWFUL! Whaddafuk waz all those heavenly choirs all about? It was a seriously overwrought melodramatic score and it WON the Oscar....see kids, it isn't just nowadays that Academy gets it wrong.

And just for the record, the Oscar should have gone to Leonard Bernstein's ON THE WATERFRONT.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Plus it's got a nazi blimp.

WORD! punk

Timmer wrote
    And just for the record, the Oscar should have gone to Leonard Bernstein's ON THE WATERFRONT.

WORD! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    MELACHOLIA | lars von trier

I didn't liked it so much. It started well though, and funny with the stuck limo (I thought that was hilarious) and odd events at the wedding. But then it got a bit ridiculous (shitting close to hole 18, fucking a random person on your wedding, ...). What a fucked up wedding! Part 2 got interesting again because of the scifi element coming up and how that had its effect on the main characters, but it was mostly not an engaging movie. Kirsten Dunst did boil my blood though, what an annoying character (except when she's laying naked in front of that blue light).

The music was way off, with just one piece coming in at certain times and getting annoying at the end. Bah! Rather failed pretentiousness.

IDES OF MARCH | george clooney

What a cool movie. Well paced, good story (although it is rather cynical about the game of politics) and a great score. Clooney obviously portrayed a Obama-inspired character, but I don't think a candidate in the USA would ever say he does not believe in God. Clearly, Clooney was a communist, with close ties to fascism. wink

Does anyone know what happens after the end titles start rolling? [spoiler]Noting the title 'Ides of March', I guess would Ryan Gosling make public the affair he had with the young girl?[/spoiler]

INSIDE THE HUMAN BODY | bbc

Another really good documentary series from BBC. Michael Mosley takes you through a trip in the human body, showing our adaptability and lots of fascinating tidbits of information, combined with some extra-ordinary stories from humans (a girl that can talk about 10 languages at age 10, and computer animation. I hope Earth Flight is soon on tv.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    The 6th Day gets 7 but Rocketeer only 4!? Mental.

I watched The Rocketeer for the first time a few weeks back and I loved it! It's very much a movie-movie; where badies are badies and goodies are goodies. It lags a bit in the middle, but overall I really enjoyed it.
    Plus it's got a nazi blimp.

The dialogue was so embarrassingly bad though, and the main actor made the movie seem like a TV movie. The story was simplistic and predictable. And the make-up of that big "scary" guy made it seem like a children's movie.

It did have a few good things though:

Nazi blimp, as you rightly point out. There should be more nazi blimps in movies.
    Jennifer Connelly was pure yum.
    Alan Arkin and Timothy Dalton did fine jobs.
    James Horner kicked buttock.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It is a children's movie! Or, perhaps more accurately, a 'family movie'. I like all that. It reminded me of early Zemeckis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven is 1000000000000% right. FACT!!!!!!!!!

The Rocketeer is a spectacular adventure film and as it seems highly underrated!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012
    I just returned from Tromsø International Film Festival, where I obviously saw lots of films, like:

WAR HORSE (2011)

Some serious flaws in terms of script, casting and performances, but bloody brilliant when it comes to the classic spielbergian traits. Fantastic Williams score!

LES PETITS MOUCHOIRS (2010)

Basically a remake of THE BIG CHILL, it's a loooong film about a group of friends assembling while their 'center' friend is recuperating from a serious motorbike accident. Lots of humour, but also serious with tone shifts. I liked some parts of it, but didn't so much others. Could have been cut down with at least 30-40 minutes, and the last saccharine part is really drawn out.

WUTHERING HEIGHTS (2012)

I loved RED ROAD and FISH TANK from Andrea Arnold, and while the gritty visual style was beautiful in its own right, a fresh, realistic take on the Victorian era (which I adore!), the film was FAR too drawn out. Outright boring. And the adult Hinchcliffe character was really bad. So I'm a bit divided on this.

RA-ONE - 3D (2012)

A Bollywood sci fi film starring superstar Shakrukh Khan! Totally crazy in terms of visuals (superb FX and action setpieces which are some of the most impressive I've seen in years, even by Hollywood standards), but obviously just plain silliness all around. The 3D aspect was really cool too. Has to be seen to be believed!

INTO THE ABYSS (2011) and CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS (2011)

3D version of the last. Didn't like any of them, but then I've never really liked Herzog in the first place. The first tries to be Erroll Morris, but is just too drawn out and uninteresting despite an interesting subject matter (death row in Texas). The second is better, but again with some unnecessary long takes that become grating. More like a documentation. Herzog's interview technique and voice-overs can sometimes be entertaining, but also a bit annoying in terms of rhetorics.

LES NEIGES DU KILIMANDJARO (2010)

http://montages.no/2012/01/ujevnt-arbei … limanjaro/

LOW COST (2011)

http://montages.no/2012/01/low-cost-tar-helt-av/

THE ARTIST (2011)

http://montages.no/2012/01/imponerende- … he-artist/

JEAN GENTIL (2007)

http://montages.no/2012/01/antydningens … an-gentil/

....and some others.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012
    So, I recently saw...

Children of the Corn
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Race With the Devil
    Rosemary's Baby
    Saw
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Saw IV
    Saw V
    Saw VI
    Saw 3D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    So, I recently saw...

Saw
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Saw IV
    Saw V
    Saw VI
    Saw 3D[/b]

Yeah, but what did you see?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    William wrote
    So, I recently saw...

Saw
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Saw IV
    Saw V
    Saw VI
    Saw 3D

I have to confess I did the same some months ago. I'm still in treatment.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    So, I recently saw...

Saw
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Saw IV
    Saw V
    Saw VI
    Saw 3D[/b]

Yeah, but what did you see?

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    So, I recently saw...

Children of the Corn
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Race With the Devil
    Rosemary's Baby
    Saw
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Saw IV
    Saw V
    Saw VI
    Saw 3D

Good wholesome viewing for all the family eh William? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    William wrote
    Saw II
    Saw III
    Saw IV
    Saw V
    Saw VI
    Saw 3D[/b]

Why would you put yourself through this? I'd rather have my jaw torn off by one of those masks, than seeing any of those films again.

Peter smile