• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    A breathtaking series. Interesting to see the people living there (episode 6), with the capital of Svalbard having only 2500 citizens. Crazy humans.

When my father was a geology student in his twenties, he actually lived there for a year and explored the mines. Lots of great stories and pics (on slides) that he has from there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote
    JS: FITZCARRALDO (1982)

Werner Herzog's classic film about human ambition against nature's extreme hindrances. The first part isn't very good, and it certainly takes some time getting used to Kinski's poor English and what seems like a strained performance for him, but then when they start the jungle trip and the dragging of the ship across the hill, it really gets its steam blowing.

Recently got the DVD and it's basically waiting for me to find the time to see a (bit) long(er) film, but looking forward to it. You'd say the ultimate impression the film gave was impressive?

Yes, absolutely. Once it gets going.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Alan, James, Timmer

Did any of you see the first episode of Earthflight? Just saw a trailer and it looks like a documentary from the "Planet Earth" series with fantastic images, wide shots and angles and stunning scenery.

I did see the first episode and I thought that it was spectacular. Not necessarily for the imagery, more for the behavioural aspects of the birds seen on the show. I found it more of a "wow" programme than anything Frozen Planet could show me.

This clip highlights the "wow" factor of seeing something I had not seen before. But it also highlights how annoying the score was in places: twangy guitars for the rays jumping out of the water?

vomit

But the rest is great. Watch it. It is worth it.

Both are FANTASTIC!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012 edited
    JS: MEEK'S CUTOFF (2011)

Very sober and enthralling account of the western pioneers and all their challenges. It's everything TRUE GRIT wasn't. It's also a film that completely leaves off the final act, ending basically in mid-sentence. Unusual. Lots of distance shots.

JS: ATTACK THE BLOCK (2011)

Fun British monster movie that hasn't received a lot of attention. Some of the teen gang anti-heroes are a bit annoying, but the 'black comedy' value weighs up for some of it. And some truly suspenseful setpieces as well. Bold score by Stephen Price too.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote

Very sober and enthralling account of the western pioneers and all their challenges. It's everything TRUE GRIT wasn't. It's also a film that completely leaves off the final act, ending basically in mid-sentence. Unusual. Lots of distance shots.

It's got a great final shot, that film. Great two final shots. I've not seen anything else by Kelly Reichardt, but if there's more of this quality filmmaking, I can see why people have been talking about her in film festivals for a while.
    One thing that struck me was I so convinced these people were pilgrims that it was something of a surprise to discover how many of them were famous actors I should have recognised.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

It's got a great final shot, that film. Great two final shots. I've not seen anything else by Kelly Reichardt, but if there's more of this quality filmmaking, I can see why people have been talking about her in film festivals for a while.
    One thing that struck me was I so convinced these people were pilgrims that it was something of a surprise to discover how many of them were famous actors I should have recognised.

Yeah, they were either covered in make-up (Bruce Greenwood) or difficult to notice due to the lack of close-ups (like Will Patton).

You should really see Reichardt's WENDY AND LUCY. Wonderful film, one of the best of the 2000's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012 edited
    JS: TRUST (2011)

Boy, was I surprised to discover that David "Ross" Schwimmer had directed this intense film about a sexual predator taking advantage of a 14-year-old girl through internet chats, and the consequences it has for the remaining family. Convincing performance of Clive Owen as the father in an unusual role for him. I didn't realize that Schwimmer was such a decent director!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Yeah, they were either covered in make-up (Bruce Greenwood) or difficult to notice due to the lack of close-ups (like Will Patton).

You should really see Reichardt's WENDY AND LUCY. Wonderful film, one of the best of the 2000's.

Will check that one out.
    Re: makeup and Close-ups... that must have been it. I sort of twigged that there can't be two people who talk and look like Shirley Henderson, so she must have been in it. Curiously enough though, I assumed the main female character wasn't Michelle Williams... just someone who reminded me of Michelle Williams. Funny that. Talk about suspending disbelief!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited
    JS: PAUL (2011)

Decent comedy about an alien who speaks American, intermingling with sci fi nerds Nick Frost and another guy I forget the name of. Nice references to other sci fi, esp. Spielberg (who also appears as a voice) and fun cameo by Sigourney Weaver. But overall a missed opportunity; it's not very funny.

JS: KLOVN - THE MOVIE (2011)

Much better comedy from Denmark, based on the popular tv series in the vein of THE OFFICE and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM. Hilarious/uncomfortable situations and a nice road movie feel. Also cool acting cameos by legendary, 87-year-old Danish film composer Bent Fabricius-Bjerre (who also wrote the main theme).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    Thor wrote

Much better comedy from Denmark, based on the popular tv series in the vein of THE OFFICE and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM. Hilarious/uncomfortable situations and a nice road movie feel. Also cool acting cameos by legendary, 87-year-old Danish film composer Bent Fabricius-Bjerre (who also wrote the main theme).

I haven't even seen this yet. And Casper Christensen and Frank Hvam are two of my favourite danish comedians!

Also shows how popular film composer Bent Fabricius-Bjerre is in Denmark. Even John Williams doesn't have such recognizability in his native country, to appear as a cameo in movies.

If you liked the movie, Thor, there's also the Klovn TV-series. It's very popular in Denmark. I rarely watch telly, but the few times I've seen Klovn episodes I've found them hilarious. I could probably become a huge fan, if I devoted some time on watching them all.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

I haven't even seen this yet. And Casper Christensen and Frank Hvam are two of my favourite danish comedians!

Also shows how popular film composer Bent Fabricius-Bjerre is in Denmark. Even John Williams doesn't have such recognizability in his native country, to appear as a cameo in movies.

If you liked the movie, Thor, there's also the Klovn TV-series. It's very popular in Denmark. I rarely watch telly, but the few times I've seen Klovn episodes I've found them hilarious. I could probably become a huge fan, if I devoted some time on watching them all.

Peter smile

Yes, I know. The series has also run on Norwegian tv, and I've seen a few of the episodes. Good stuff.

Bjerre is also famous in Norway, at least his music is. Especially the theme from FLÅKLYPA GRAND PRIX, OLSENBANDEN and MATADOR. And of course, everyone knows "Alley Cat", which -- funny enough -- is the name of the luxury brothel that Bjerre's character runs in KLOVN.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote

Decent comedy about an alien who speaks American, intermingling with sci fi nerds Nick Frost and another guy I forget the name of. Nice references to other sci fi, esp. Spielberg (who also appears as a voice) and fun cameo by Sigourney Weaver. But overall a missed opportunity; it's not very funny.

My God! I thought it was hysterical! Kristin Wig not quite getting how to use curse words! And her T-Shirt that says "Evolve This!" with Jesus shooting Darwin!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. lol I loved that. By the way, I'm the only one who thinks that Kristen Weig looks and sounds a bit like Amy Adams?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

My God! I thought it was hysterical! Kristin Wig not quite getting how to use curse words! And her T-Shirt that says "Evolve This!" with Jesus shooting Darwin!

-Erik-

I'm inclined to agree with Thor, very disappointing but it did have moments, the T-shirt being a highlight. I was entertained but the laughs were few and far between.

Simon Clegg is the other name you were looking for Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Simon Pegg, I think you will find?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think I was getting confused with that wet faced prick who's deputy leader of our country. shame
  5. Timmer wrote
    I think I was getting confused with that wet faced prick who's deputy leader of our country. shame

Who? Simon Cowell?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Paul was fun at points but overall boring imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    yonythemoony wrote
    lol I loved that. By the way, I'm the only one who thinks that Kristen Weig looks and sounds a bit like Amy Adams?

No, I agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Tora! Tora! Tora! is on Channel 4 NOW!!
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote

I know I keep going on about this film and Goldsmith's score but I think that the whole film is excellent. Goldsmith's scoring in the last few minutes sums up so much about the thoughts going on in Yamamoto's mind in terms of the Japanese culture and the consequences that their actions will precipitate.

Watching the film and seeing real planes flying en masse and watching physical stunts rather than CGI makes everything seem more impressive. Sure, the miniatures are obviously miniatures and a lot of the set-piece explosions are repeated from various angles, but knowing that it is all real adds something to it all. Realism!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I have it on DVD, it's probably THE best film on Pearl Harbor.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    "Sarah's key" (original french title: "Elle s'appalait Sarah")

Wonderful breathtaking film based on the book of the same name, about the tragic, touching story of a French holocaust survivor (fictional character). The music is excellent, though at times a bit too minimalistic to adequately portray the depth of the screenplay and magnificent performances on screen. Its only 1 hour and 45 minutes, but it made a deep impression. Anybody else seen it? smile
  7. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I have it on DVD too. I could watch it any time I wanted, but when it is shown on TV I have to stop what I am doing and watch it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I have it on DVD too. I could watch it any time I wanted, but when it is shown on TV I have to stop what I am doing and watch it!

Yeah, it's bloody weird that when it comes to films we enjoy but already have it's necessary to watch it on terrestrial, I do it with Star Wars, Raiders, Bond etc etc rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I do that as well. rolleyes

"Why are you watching this on the TV? We have the DVD/Bluray in the cupboard right next to where you're sitting!"

"Yeah, but I'd have to get up."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In a nutshell Steven, yeap! biggrin rolleyes
  8. Thor wrote
    JS: TRUST (2011)

Boy, was I surprised to discover that David "Ross" Schwimmer had directed this intense film about a sexual predator taking advantage of a 14-year-old girl through internet chats, and the consequences it has for the remaining family. Convincing performance of Clive Owen as the father in an unusual role for him. I didn't realize that Schwimmer was such a decent director!

the trailer really captured my attention, I want to see it once it's released
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: Anastasia

First time seeing this film. Absolutely loved it. Great music, too! cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    RV: Anastasia

First time seeing this film. Absolutely loved it. Great music, too! cheesy

Which one? ( at a guess I'm reckoning you mean the David Newman scored animated version? )