• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm probably a bit sensitive to the strength of a film's ending as well. With the -- '2 minutes through the himalayas barefoot' feeling like no hurdle at all, and the sudden skip to 40-50 years later (something I knew to be fictional) -- it felt hurried, false closure.

Yes, that's one of the ellipse moments that I really felt had a enough drama to warrant treatment, and why I think this would probably have been better in an even longer format. Perhaps a mini-series or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012 edited
    JS: JØRGEN+ANNE=SANT (2011)

Norwegian film about a 10-year-old girl who falls in love with new class mate Jørgen. It's a pretty straightforward teen/kid flick, with all the qualms involved, but it has some cool, artsy segments too. However, the main flaw is again the acting. Or rather, the directing of the actors and the horribly written dialogue. Most filmmakers can't write natural Norwegian dialogue if their lives depended on it. Very annoying, and it drags the film down.

JS: THE FIGHTER (2011)

The story about welterweight boxer Micky Ward and his troubled brother Dicky Eklund (famous for knocking down "Sugar Ray" Leonard back in the day). I hadn't heard about him before, as I'm no big fan of boxing, but I was disappointed in the film nonetheless. What's the big fuss about? It's a pretty straightforward film, with a story that Americans love (underdog from a crummy background rising to the occasion). It's ROCKY all over again, but less interesting.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. For some reason I can't bring myself to watch THE FIGHTER. Something yells 'you've seen this before.'
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012
    I've seen it and liked it, yeah it's been done before but i liked the portrayal of characters and the acting, plus the story (true story, bro) is quite interesting.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012
    JS: SUPER (2010)

Pretty funny 'black comedy' about a guy donning a superhero costume to fight crime after he loses his wife to druglord Kevin Bacon. It's played pretty straight, but still very 'edgy'. The guy from the American THE OFFICE plays the lead role (not Steve Carell, but the other dorky one). Once you lose the unbelievable aspect that he would able to marry a hottie such as Liv Tyler, it's pretty good.

JS: RABBIT HOLE (2011)

Convincing character drama about two parents coping after the loss of their child. It's an ensemble cast, with guys like Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhardt, Diane Wiest etc., so it's solid acting. But still not quite memorable. The guy who played the teenage 'baby killer' was brilliant, though. Never seen him before. This is based on a play which I haven't seen, but they managed to "open it up" pretty well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012
    JS: ATTENBERG (2010)

Weird, arty film from Greece with lots of lofty, unnatural dialogue and some random sequences that I struggled to interpret. What is it about, exactly? A stylized commentary on human behaviour and frustrations? While I'm a lover of art films, I found this slightly on the pretentious side.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I'm interested to see that one. It got some positive feedback (along with THE SEPARATION) at last year's Sydney Film Festival.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm interested to see that one. It got some positive feedback (along with THE SEPARATION) at last year's Sydney Film Festival.

There's no competition between the two, IMO. THE SEPARATION (aka NADER & SIMIN) is a marvelous film, one of the best ones last year, almost a masterpiece. See my review of that here:

http://montages.no/2011/12/briljant-dra … -et-brudd/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012
    The last six episodes of Sherlock Holmes/Granada Television with Jeremy Brett. I guess he was ill at the time he made these.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    JS: ATTENBERG (2010)

Weird, arty film from Greece with lots of lofty, unnatural dialogue and some random sequences that I struggled to interpret. What is it about, exactly? A stylized commentary on human behaviour and frustrations? While I'm a lover of art films, I found this slightly on the pretentious side.

Overrated artsy farts imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. IMAX HUBBLE 3D

omg AND shocked AND ONCE AGAIN omg

Awe-inspiring and breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe it !!!!!

If I want to show what 3D can do for film, this is the one, absolute demo material. The IMAX quality is clearly evident in every shot of this all too short documentary about the Hubble telescope and the images it can capture from outer space.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    IMAX HUBBLE 3D

If I want to show what 3D can do for film, this is the one, absolute demo material. The IMAX quality is clearly evident in every shot of this all too short documentary about the Hubble telescope and the images it can capture from outer space.

Ooooh I'd like to see this! I saw Space Station 3D many years ago and that was utterly awesome, so much so that I went back and saw it twice more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I watched THE TROLL HUNTER ( 2010 ) last night, it's about a guy who hunts trolls on film music message boards, I really enjoyed it!

Have you seen it Thor?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012 edited
    Haaaa! One of my favourite films of 2010. I think I wrote a pretty glowing review for it on this very board.
    Enjoyed it immensely! Not *really* original, but excellent fun, incredibly creative and entertaining.
    Very good stuff!
    Still waiting on the DVD release.

EDIT: Wait. What? uhm
    ..hunts trolls on film music message boards
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I watched THE TROLL HUNTER ( 2010 ) last night, it's about a guy who hunts trolls on film music message boards, I really enjoyed it!

Have you seen it Thor?

He, he....yeah, I've seen it. It's quite good genre material, although some of the comic characters don't work so well (mostly annoying to Norwegians, I think).

Chris Columbus is apparently remaking this for the American market.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Have you seen it Thor?

He, he....yeah, I've seen it. It's quite good genre material, although some of the comic characters don't work so well (mostly annoying to Norwegians, I think).

Chris Columbus is apparently remaking this for the American market.

He is indeed! Or at least he owns the rights to remaking it.

I wouldn't notice the "annoying to Norwegians" thing. Damn good film full of great atmosphere and stunning locations.

Martijn, the DVD is released in UK now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How was the music Timmer?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Except for source music ( out of radios etcf ) there is NONE Bregt, the film is done in a "realistic" mockumentary style ala The Blair Witch Project, the closest it comes to orchestral is a portion of Grieg's In The Hall of The Mountain King in the end credits
  4. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    IMAX HUBBLE 3D

Ooooh I'd like to see this! I saw Space Station 3D many years ago and that was utterly awesome, so much so that I went back and saw it twice more.

Space Station is indeed magnificent from the same team of filmmakers, but I think Hubble just tops it because it leaves so much to the imagination. By the end of it, you will be absolutely stunned by the imagery, really impressed by the magnitude of the technology on display in this film. The only downside with these IMAX features is they're so damn short, we want more outer space photography. And the 3D really adds something to the picture, the best use of it with only Avatar coming close.

FYI, I've watched both of these at home. To be able to experience them on real IMAX screens would have been preferable, but I've learned we have no more IMAX cinema's in our country. sad So I'm watching these on my modest but not exactly tiny 46" screen, and it's really fantastic. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Except for source music ( out of radios etcf ) there is NONE Bregt, the film is done in a "realistic" mockumentary style ala The Blair Witch Project, the closest it comes to orchestral is a portion of Grieg's In The Hall of The Mountain King in the end credits

applause
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    Haaaa! One of my favourite films of 2010. I think I wrote a pretty glowing review for it on this very board.
    Enjoyed it immensely! Not *really* original, but excellent fun, incredibly creative and entertaining.
    Very good stuff!
    Still waiting on the DVD release.

Waiting? Well, in that case the wait is over! It's all over the Free Record Shop and MediaMarkt. You can also find it on bol.com. Hurry, hurry now and get your copy today!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Is it?? That must have been VERY recent!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well... eh... yeah, well, 'recent' is a relative term. What IS recent? The one would call 'november 2011' recent, the other would call it, well, not so recent. So, yeah, practically yesterday!

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/dvd/troll-hunte … index.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cheers! smile Been waiting for that for eighteen months!
  5. Martijn wrote
    Is it?? That must have been VERY recent!

This week, I think.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    IMAX HUBBLE 3D

Space Station is indeed magnificent from the same team of filmmakers, but I think Hubble just tops it because it leaves so much to the imagination. By the end of it, you will be absolutely stunned by the imagery, really impressed by the magnitude of the technology on display in this film. The only downside with these IMAX features is they're so damn short, we want more outer space photography.

I don't want to ruin your illusion, but Hubble does not take photos, it measures light. Here's an interesting article on why Hubble images look the way they do and why colour is added:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/behind_the_pictures/

By the way, I saw Hubble too and thought it was a great experience. smile
    Saw it with Dolphins in IMAX and thought Dolphins had better use of the IMAX experience though.
  6. That's it, you have ruined my illusion, FOREVER .... crazy

Nah, just kidding wink cheesy

I don't care how Hubble captures these shots, it's how we see them after being processed that counts. I know that the space travel in the film is also a CGI simulation with certain made up elements, but that doesn't make it any less stunning or mesmerizing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012
    This was what I was fearing.
    But I wish I'd seen it. And then written this.
    http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/review/war-horse.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2012

This is fantastic!
    Kazoo
  7. Martijn wrote
    This was what I was fearing.
    But I wish I'd seen it. And then written this.
    http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/review/war-horse.php

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn