• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    In a nutshell Steven, yeap! biggrin rolleyes

Also, it is someone else making the decision. The number of times I fail to decide what I want to watch and the time just ebbs away... Choosing music to listen to is even worse!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tora! Tora! Tora! is on Channel 4 NOW!!

I have it on DVD, it's probably THE best film on Pearl Harbor.

I have it on DVD too. I could watch it any time I wanted, but when it is shown on TV I have to stop what I am doing and watch it!

Yeah, it's bloody weird that when it comes to films we enjoy but already have it's necessary to watch it on terrestrial, I do it with Star Wars, Raiders, Bond etc etc rolleyes wink

Steven wrote
    I do that as well. rolleyes

"Why are you watching this on the TV? We have the DVD/Bluray in the cupboard right next to where you're sitting!"

"Yeah, but I'd have to get up."

I never want to watch films that are broadcasted. No 5.1 surround sound, shitty commercials every fifteen minutes, end credits are being cut off as soon as the film ends. crazy

That is NO WAY to enjoy a movie!

For me it's the dvd / blu-ray or nothing at all. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I am of the opinion that ads are just part and parcel of watching films on TV. Very rarely is home film viewing distraction-free anyway, adverts or not.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    markrayen wrote
    "Sarah's key" (original french title: "Elle s'appalait Sarah")

Wonderful breathtaking film based on the book of the same name, about the tragic, touching story of a French holocaust survivor (fictional character). The music is excellent, though at times a bit too minimalistic to adequately portray the depth of the screenplay and magnificent performances on screen. Its only 1 hour and 45 minutes, but it made a deep impression. Anybody else seen it? smile

Yes, it's a beautiful film. Very strong. The little girl did her role splendidly. Very touching also when a close family member (or friend, I forgot) says "I don't want to know", breaking her search. I love these stories in which they start digging in the past for a small story.

The music became really good near the end, when the theme was much more clear. Music was by Richter right?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: THE HOLE (2010)

I was actually on the lookout for the 2011 film by the same name, but then stumbled over this instead. I was amused how it seemed to harken back to the good ol' horror/comedy films of the 80's when - lo and behold - it turned out to be directed by Joe Dante himself. That came as a surprise!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am of the opinion that ads are just part and parcel of watching films on TV. Very rarely is home film viewing distraction-free anyway, adverts or not.

For me, my personal space is pretty much distraction-free. And ever since Jurassic Park blew me away on VHS with it's monstrously powerful Dolby sound, I've been addicted to watching all my movies in the best possible conditions. That doesn't mean I never watch films by way of the telly, I try to minimise it as much as possible. If I have the choice to watch it better, without commercials or the like, I won't hesitate. I never watch TV broadcasts anyway. No time and no interest.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I do watch films on the telly once in a while, but NEVER on commercial-funded channels.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012 edited
    Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil

A very simple, very funny and rather charming take on the teen slasher/boobs in the woods genre. A very enjoyable film that I could easily watch again. (Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine make a decent duo I think.)

It also has boobs. And ass. Yay for boobs and ass!

There's a good a chance this post may be gratuitous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    RV: Anastasia

First time seeing this film. Absolutely loved it. Great music, too! cheesy

Which one? ( at a guess I'm reckoning you mean the David Newman scored animated version? )

Yes, the David Newman one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of his finest scores! Alfred would be proud!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    For sure! It's really great.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Bregt wrote
    markrayen wrote
    "Sarah's key" (original french title: "Elle s'appalait Sarah")

Wonderful breathtaking film based on the book of the same name, about the tragic, touching story of a French holocaust survivor (fictional character). The music is excellent, though at times a bit too minimalistic to adequately portray the depth of the screenplay and magnificent performances on screen. Its only 1 hour and 45 minutes, but it made a deep impression. Anybody else seen it? smile

Yes, it's a beautiful film. Very strong. The little girl did her role splendidly. Very touching also when a close family member (or friend, I forgot) says "I don't want to know", breaking her search. I love these stories in which they start digging in the past for a small story.

The music became really good near the end, when the theme was much more clear. Music was by Richter right?

Yes, Max Richter! A good work, lots of lovely moments in the score. The scene were the soldier steps on the apple really made an impression. And yes, the little girl who played Sarah did amazingly well. Interesting to see he documentary features where you see the director working with the child actors. Touching stuff! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Continuing to catch up on 2011 films I missed.

JS: TOMBOY (2011)

Absolutely beautiful French film about a young, pre-pubertal 'tomboy' girl trying to pose as a boy. A sexual awakening film and the textbook on how you should do sociorealism. Far better than BOY'S DON'T CRY, which touches on the same issue. The way the child actors is directed is spellbinding. Highly, highly recommended. It's only 78 minutes, so you owe yourself the time with this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ One of his finest scores! Alfred would be proud!

-Erik-

Whose own score is fantastic too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I was actually on the lookout for the 2011 film by the same name, but then stumbled over this instead. I was amused how it seemed to harken back to the good ol' horror/comedy films of the 80's when - lo and behold - it turned out to be directed by Joe Dante himself. That came as a surprise!

Enjoyable?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Enjoyable?

Absolutely. The last act is particularly Dante-ian.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I must see it then, I ( with a few exceptions ) like Dante's films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012
    Thor wrote

Absolutely beautiful French film about a young, pre-pubertal 'tomboy' girl trying to pose as a boy. A sexual awakening film and the textbook on how you should do sociorealism. Far better than BOY'S DON'T CRY, which touches on the same issue. The way the child actors is directed is spellbinding. Highly, highly recommended. It's only 78 minutes, so you owe yourself the time with this.

Saw it too and though it was fantastic although I was estranged by he complete absence of music...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Enjoyable?

Absolutely. The last act is particularly Dante-ian.

I have to see it too, my brother and I are Joe Dante fans
    Sadly this one doesn't have a Jerry Goldsmith score sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Saw it too and though it was fantastic although I was estranged by he complete absence of music...

Estranged? That's fairly common in sociorealistic films of this kind. I thought the absence of non-diegetic music was perfect for this.

In fact, if I remember correctly, one of the best (but also most harrowing) films last year was Greek and had no non-diegetic music either -- DOGTOOTH.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012 edited
    Yeap, just not used to this kind of approach. And i can think of a couple of scenes (like when she's on the balcony and sees Lisa waiting her by the tree below, after the revelation, a max richter kind of piano minimalism would do wonders) where the music would enhance it. But very strong movie all and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm a huge film music buff, of course, but also LOVE films without any music whatsoever (at least non-diegetic music).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JS: FÅ MEG PÅ, FOR FAEN! (2011)

Directly translated as GET ME ON, GODDAMMIT!, I have to honour the intentions of this Norwegian film, trying to portray a sexually frustrated teen in a small rural town, but the acting performances are so incredibly poor that everything falls through. Could have been amended with better directing. The aforementioned TOMBOY is a brilliant example of how to do this kind of sociorealism with amateur actors.

JS: THE WAY BACK (2011)

God, I love Peter Weir! Very few filmmakers are better at portraying the toils and challenges of nature vs. man. Truly epic film about a group of people escaping from a gulag and WALKING from Siberia to India, driven by an excellent Dallwitz score. There seems to be potential for a mini-series here, since a lot is omitted in the ellipses. I'd love to see that.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Really? I thought THE WAY BACK was a bit of a letdown for Weir, somehow lacking that extra layer of meaning that his films have tended to have. Definitely some very striking images.
    Dallwitz's score bows heavily to a Max Richter temp track.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Really? I thought THE WAY BACK was a bit of a letdown for Weir, somehow lacking that extra layer of meaning that his films have tended to have. Definitely some very striking images.
    Dallwitz's score bows heavily to a Max Richter temp track.

Really? I didn't know that about Richter.

It is true that it is one of his more accesible films, but that's kinda refreshing. It's more straightforward, more visceral with some truly wonderful Weir shots (like the "mirage" in the desert).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I was bored to death by THE WAY BACK, and I'm a Peter Weir fan. It's an incredibly story, for sure, but why does the film have to feel as long as their actual walk? I thought Dallwitz's score was nothing special. At all.

I've just seen COWBOYS AND ALIENS. It has a really great set up. I really enjoyed the first half of the film. Where it went from there was a big let down. The actual battle between the cowboys and aliens was no where near as fun as you might expect something like that to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012 edited
    christopher wrote
    I was bored to death by THE WAY BACK, and I'm a Peter Weir fan. It's an incredibly story, for sure, but why does the film have to feel as long as their actual walk? I thought Dallwitz's score was nothing special. At all.

Strange how opinions differ. I actually wanted a LONGER film and MORE walking. There's so much potential drama in some of the ellipses, like the cut from when the Ed Harris character decides to move on untill they finally find a river. I also LOVE slow films, especially with lots of nature shots.

As for C&A, it had some interesting tidbits and visual details, but was overall incredibly conventional. Very mediocre film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    Loved THE WAY BACK, i thought the score had more an influence by Zimmer than Richter though.
  8. It's a great movie. I loved how Saoirse Ronan sounded, it wouldn't noticed that she was Irish if I didn't know.
  9. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    I was bored to death by THE WAY BACK, and I'm a Peter Weir fan. It's an incredibly story, for sure, but why does the film have to feel as long as their actual walk? I thought Dallwitz's score was nothing special. At all.

Strange how opinions differ. I actually wanted a LONGER film and MORE walking. There's so much potential drama in some of the ellipses, like the cut from when the Ed Harris character decides to move on untill they finally find a river. I also LOVE slow films, especially with lots of nature shots.

Hang on a second... MEEK'S CUTOFF and TURIN HORSE were among my favourites of the year, so I'm not just dead set against slow things. wink I think for me it just felt a bit literal, like he hadn't quite found the metaphorical side of the tale that he would often bring. Maybe taking the famous actors out of it would've helped me... truly anonymous individuals might have helped. Mind you, Kelly Reichardt somehow made her actors invisible in MEEK, so I think there's a film language issue there too.

I'm probably a bit sensitive to the strength of a film's ending as well. With the -- '2 minutes through the himalayas barefoot' feeling like no hurdle at all, and the sudden skip to 40-50 years later (something I knew to be fictional) -- it felt hurried, false closure.

The one bit I really liked was the handling of the man who was lost in the woods and his fate.

I think the piece Richter did was called 'Organum', from his album THE BLUE NOTEBOOKS. Dallwitz's opening cue and most of the dream sequences return to it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am