• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    That's one sadistic airline company!

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    MISS POTTER was playing on loop on an international flight I was on once. Somehow over the course of 5 repetitions of the movie, I managed to dip into 20 different scenes where nothing happened.

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Wow... just wow. Of course the story's light but that doesn't really matter. I haven't been so impressed by a film's technology since Jurassic Park and this is a film worth watching for that alone.

At last, a voice of logic. The 'meh' and 'mm, nothing special' comments i've seen this week caused me colorful emotions.

Exactly! he said very important point that this film worth watching only for technology alone and nothing else. Remaining meh, hmmm, mmmm, blah, blah......

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Wow... just wow. Of course the story's light but that doesn't really matter. I haven't been so impressed by a film's technology since Jurassic Park and this is a film worth watching for that alone.

At last, a voice of logic. The 'meh' and 'mm, nothing special' comments i've seen this week caused me colorful emotions.

Exactly! he said very important point that this film worth watching only for technology alone and nothing else. Remaining meh, hmmm, mmmm, blah, blah......

Have a nice day!

That's not exactly what I said, but even if it were, I'd still be saying it was worth watching. Bearing in mind the standard of some of the things in this thread that you have said you liked (Flubber, Gone in Sixty Seconds) I can't believe you're so difficult to please that you wouldn't like Avatar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I Am Legend

A decent enough film. The Blu-Ray looks spectacular but, as I suspected, the film's flaws are more exposed in my living room than they were in the cinema. It's a film that is pretty much made by its sound design. I accidentally watched the version with the alternate ending, which was odd.
  1. Southall wrote

That's not exactly what I said, but even if it were, I'd still be saying it was worth watching. Bearing in mind the standard of some of the things in this thread that you have said you liked (Flubber, Gone in Sixty Seconds) I can't believe you're so difficult to please that you wouldn't like Avatar.

Slap down sally! Good call.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote

I think you misunderstood me on this context. I liked Flubber because it was fun to watch and Gone in 60 seconds even though its not great action flick but it has some moments. But the actual point, i have great respect and admiration for my all time favorite filmmaker James Cameron. I expected lot from him. In fact, you should not compare his movies with Flubber and Gone in 60 seconds. His movies always has great standard that others don't have. After Spielberg, he is the director who could please all sort of audience in the world. As far as Avatar concern, he has done revolution in the world of Visual effects. I certainly applaud for that. But what happened to his style of Storytelling? I missed that entirely.

Titanic also had old type of story which i heard and saw many times in Indian movies. But what made me to consider Titanic as all time best movie ( even better than Indian love stories) is brilliant storytelling. As far as plot construction, i didn't find any cliches in Titanic. But in Avatar, i find lot of similarities from earlier movies ( not cameron's), gathering armies, learning lessons, falling in love, fight back, provoking speech etc. I have seen thousands of times. The main difference between ID4 and Avatar is in ID4, human race fight against evil aliens but in Avatar, quite opposite, Aliens fight against evil human race (especially military groups LOL).

Cameron is the director who always comes out with brand new ideas. I didn't expect this kind of boring storyline. I certainly agree that Avatar is far better than Indy 4. Avatar isn't worst movie at all and at the same time, its not great. Film has brilliant visual visual effects but brilliant stops there, where was characterization? Where was the storytelling? deeply missing.

Cameron was very very clever indeed. He made this movie in 3D and intelligently, he released in 2D version also. But if you make analysis, in 2D film isn't doing good business but in 3D doing damn good business everywhere. Just imagine if this movie released in 2D version alone, do you think this movie would have been super hit? i don't think so.

Cameron said that if movie succeeds he would certainly go for trilogy of Avatar, i expect him to come back with great sequel movies like Aliens and T2.

By the way, i didn't dislike the movie Avatar. The movie has good action sequences and excellent visual effects. I would certainly recommend my friends and relatives to watch this movie. This a must watch movie, at least for the sake of James Cameron
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If you didn't find any cliches in Titanic then there is little hope! wink

All of Cameron's movies have very simple, straightforward stories, I thought. There are some convolutions in the Terminator films but they're very basic. His films are all about spectacle.
  2. Southall wrote

All of Cameron's movies have very simple, straightforward stories, I thought. There are some convolutions in the Terminator films but they're very basic. His films are all about spectacle.

And the characters! Don't forget those. Aliens wouldn't be as it is without the Ripley-Newt-Hicks relationship.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Watched Star Trek last night. And I'm going to come in for a bit of a pasting...and most of my thoughts are related to my deep-set links to the original cast.

First off, I really enjoyed the story and the whole pace of the movie. It was a really good generic sci-fi film. But I couldn't buy into the fact that it was a Star Trek movie. As I mentioned, I'm just too rooted with the original cast members to embrace the new cast. But, I did think that Kirk, Spock and Bones were well represented - with several references to the playing by the original cast. Chekov and Scotty just really annoyed me. [Edited for spoilers!]

Giacchino's score annoyed me as well. In the movie all I could hear was repeat after repeat of the main theme. Again, linking back to the original series, I really missed any reference to the original music (though I do recall one or two TOS-inspired "stingers" at the appropriate moments).

I'm glad I saw it - plenty of eye candy on show. But nothing more.

5 / 10
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    SPOILER ALERT Alan. rolleyes (And I'm not referring to the movie.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

confused
  3. Steven wrote

Pardon?!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote

His films are all about spectacle.

with good story telling and characterization. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote

Good storytelling CAN be simple. Avatar's story may be predictable, but it wasn't exactly a huge surprise that the Titanic sunk or that Arnie won the day in Terminator 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote

And the characters! Don't forget those. Aliens wouldn't be as it is without the Ripley-Newt-Hicks relationship.

Exactly. I have seen this movie for so many number of times ( i will keep on seeing it biggrin ) especially for excellent characterization ( emotional depth in characters like Newt, Ripley and Hicks).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote

Good storytelling CAN be simple. Avatar's story may be predictable, but it wasn't exactly a huge surprise that the Titanic sunk or that Arnie won the day in Terminator 2.

Hey, but presentation always matter whether its old or new story. Is it not? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Pardon?!

Bananas! Some people that haven't seen it may want to watch it and not know the spoiler you gave away! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Pardon?!

Some people that haven't seen it may want to watch it and not know the spoiler you gave away! dizzy

Ah, right! Edited the original post for spoilers. Steven, could you remove reference to the TV show from your post?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote

No. Cliche was there in Titanic but very cleverly hidden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote

It's the most cliche-ridden film ever made. Honestly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote

Where? At the bottom of the Atlantic? dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Pardon?!

Some people that haven't seen it may want to watch it and not know the spoiler you gave away! dizzy

Ah, right! Edited the original post for spoilers. Steven, could you remove reference to the TV show from your post?

Done! cool

By the way, you could just use the [spoiler]spoiler tags[/spoiler] rather than delete your original comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote

Where? At the bottom of the Atlantic? dizzy

lol Exactly.
  4. Testing [spoiler]spoiler tags[/spoiler].
  5. Thanks, Steven! punk
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Testing [spoiler]spoiler tags[/spoiler].

You should've put 'Testing' in the spoiler tags. Thanks so much for spoiling it for me. crazy

tongue wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Giacchino's score annoyed me as well. In the movie all I could hear was repeat after repeat of the main theme. Again, linking back to the original series, I really missed any reference to the original music (though I do recall one or two TOS-inspired "stingers" at the appropriate moments).

5 / 10

The main theme drives me crazy by the end. I used to think that Shore trotted out his 'Fellowship' theme a bit often in FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, but Shore's got nothing on the spotting in this film! wink
    I can't say the lack of connection to STAR TREK's traditional music bothered me so much, since that's such a diverse thing in the first place, but I do wish the score had more shape and identity of its own.
  8. Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote

They do say that the best place to hide something is out in the open. Only now do I appreciate the significance of this statement! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Me too.