• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Yes, the first film I absolutely love, but I've never seen the sequels. I'll watch a bit more but if it doesn't pick up then I highly doubt I'll get to the end of it.

If you love the first film, I can't see why you wouldn't like the sequels. In fact, I don't really think of Part 2 and 3 as 'sequels', they work as one long film with three acts. The second film is probably the weakest, but it's still a fantastic film and 20 minutes is NOT enough to appreciate it since most of the movie is about revisiting the first film. The first 20 minutes you watched is probably all set in the future world: a fantastically 80s envisioning of the future - something you're supposed to take with a pinch of salt! The rest is all about cleverly revisiting the first story.

So, watch the first film again. Then watch ALL of the second. And then watch the third film.

Hopefully you'll come to your senses! Aged terribly.... honestly
  1. Watched a "Morecambe and Wise Christmas Special" from 1973 tonight. And, pound-for-pound, one of the funniest things on TV this Christmas.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Watched a "Morecambe and Wise Christmas Special" from 1973 tonight. And, pound-for-pound, one of the funniest things on TV this Christmas.

I didn't see it but I'll take your word for it, you can't beat true class!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Steven wrote
    I must have missed the part where it was thrilling.

the fire sequence was definitely thrilling for me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Really? The BTTF films seem pretty timeless to me and compared with much of the blockbuster dross that has paraded as entertainment since then it's a trio of films with a great, if convoluted, story line and treats it's audience intelligently.

20 minutes is hardly time to make your mind up. Did you ever see the first film?

I'd too agree that some classics, look aged and so out of place when viewed by someone younger especially, who didn't see them when they came out or didn't grow up in the time / culture when the films came out. Few people can do really timeless classics, one of them is Spielberg. Terribly aged doesn't really describe it, it's a bit of an over-statement, but really this isn't exactly the most up to date thing here wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So what? It certainly looks old, but the films themselves have aged very well. They still entertain! They're still as good today as they were when they were made. I also enjoy special effects from all eras, especially if they're well used and aid the story like they do in the Back To The Future films.

The reason you probably don't enjoy them as much as others is simply because they're not your type of thing. It's got very little to do with being sidelined by childhood nostalgia and far more to do with personal preference. There are quite a lot of films I used to love when I was a child, but revisiting them today I'm amazed at how easily entertained I was back then. And if I watched the Back To The Future films today having not seen them when I was a child, I'd still enjoy them. In fact, I'm able to enjoy plenty of older films with far more dated special effects! (I love the old Ray Harryhausen films.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nobody said you shouldn't. Forcing others to love them as much though, is illogical. Especially when someone's considered odd, stupid or crazy for not going nuts over the same stuff others are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Who's forcing!? If you're referring to my reply to Anthony, then I'm simply reacting to his hasty remark after having only watched 20 MINUTES! If he watches it and still doesn't like it, then there's nothing I can say to change his mind.

Nobody considers you odd for not 'going nuts over the same stuff', that's an utterly ridiculous comment to make! What is silly is thinking those of us who do like these types of movies only love them because of nostalgia. Sure, that's part of the reason, but not the only reason - we love them because they're great films!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven love Ray Harryhausen = cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Nobody considers you odd for not 'going nuts over the same stuff', that's an utterly ridiculous comment to make! What is silly is thinking those of us who do like these types of movies only love them because of nostalgia. Sure, that's part of the reason, but not the only reason - we love them because they're great films!

You're the one assuming this. I only said that those films in particular are very close with the culture of the time and if you didn't grow in that time with those films when they first came out, or if you don't necessarily like the whole culture of the time, it's hard to relate to. Nobody said anything about you liking them or talked about nostalgia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    I saw Avatar this evening in IMAX 3D and was mightily impressed. The visuals are some of the finest I've seen in the cinema - I found them absolutely mesmerising. The plot isn't as fulfilling as I'd hoped but the images more than make up for it. It's also the most convincing CGI-heavy film I think I've ever seen. Completely seemless.

Gets two thumbs up from me! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    I saw Avatar this evening in IMAX 3D and was mightily impressed. The visuals are some of the finest I've seen in the cinema - I found them absolutely mesmerising. The plot isn't as fulfilling as I'd hoped but the images more than make up for it. It's also the most convincing CGI-heavy film I think I've ever seen. Completely seemless.

Gets two thumbs up from me! cool

All things going well I'll be seeing it Tuesday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited
    Invictus

Not bad (because Clint Eastwood can´t make a bad movie) but not in the list of his best films. A standout performance by Morgan Freeman though: just seeing him walking is worth watching the two hours film.

3 out of 5

Dorian Gray (2009)

I read the novel many many years ago but have not seen any of the film versions. This film, if not specially brilliant, captures pretty good the spirit of the novel and the corruption of the main character, aided by Ben Barnes´performance and a very strong cast of supporting actors.

3 out of 5

Halloween 2 (2009)

Rob Zombie knows how to make a pure horror movie. Darkness, chillness, harshness, violence, dirtiness, tension...all in one film. One really suffers for the poor characters (specially brilliant are Brad Dourif and the main actress). Besides, he dares to unmask Michael Myers (he spends half of the movie without wearing his mask, showing us his true face). A lesson for these decaffeinated horror movies made by decaffeinated directors.
    Tyler Bates´score is perfect to accentuate the tension during the whole movie.

4 out of 5
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Dirtness? Is that a word? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Dirtness? Is that a word? dizzy

Corrected shame
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009 edited
    I watched Polanski's THE PIANIST on TV tonight, I hadn't seen it since it's release and what a superbly crafted film it is about one mans survival against all odds in the Warsaw ghetto, a harrowing film that pulls no punches.

I'm tempted to say that this is a better film than Schindler's List, what say you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I just saw THE PIANIST too on itv1 (I'm in England on vacation). Was the first time I saw this movie. It was rather depressing of course, but very well made and affecting. Gave it an 8 on imdb.

Peter smile
  3. I agree. The feeling is more haunting for me. Survivor's guilt is the lasting feeling rather than survivor's relief / celebration. (As in - 'why do i deserve to be alive, when others have died?')
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    Rio Bravo

I love John Wayne's westerns very much. This classic directed by Howard Hawks is exciting, funny and very well acted. Wayne and Dean Martin are wonderful in this movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I watched Polanski's THE PIANIST on TV tonight, I hadn't seen it since it's release and what a superbly crafted film it is about one mans survival against all odds in the Warsaw ghetto, a harrowing film that pulls no punches.

I'm tempted to say that this is a better film than Schindler's List, what say you?

Film-wise, i'll agree with you. I can't remember many other films that had that emotional impact on me and it's a brilliantly crafted film indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall

Wow... just wow. Of course the story's light but that doesn't really matter. I haven't been so impressed by a film's technology since Jurassic Park and this is a film worth watching for that alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Wow... just wow. Of course the story's light but that doesn't really matter. I haven't been so impressed by a film's technology since Jurassic Park and this is a film worth watching for that alone.

At last, a voice of logic. The 'meh' and 'mm, nothing special' comments i've seen this week caused me colorful emotions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There are always people who like to get attention just by having a different opinion! (Not that I'm accusing anyone specific, but it's certainly a trend amongst anything that reaches a certain popularity.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Avatar is one of those films, those very few and rare films, that if you have an opinion other than 'it's simply brilliant', then you're either non-honest or biased or simply weird wink The film's a real spectacle, a huge innovation in all aspects and surely one film that will be remember for many years to come. Most importantly, it's a GREAT EXPERIENCE, something we don't frequently get in cinemas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    I just saw THE PIANIST too on itv1 (I'm in England on vacation). Was the first time I saw this movie. It was rather depressing of course, but very well made and affecting. Gave it an 8 on imdb.

Peter smile

You're not getting away with this one: we want pictures! (Of you too!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Most importantly, it's a GREAT EXPERIENCE, something we don't frequently get in cinemas.

I beg to differ. I think in recent years, 'great experience' films have been coming thick and fast! Ones that perhaps don't necessarily translate as well at home, but shine in the cinema. I've not seen a genuinely bad film in the cinema for longer than I'd care to remember - that speaks volumes! (Some will no doubt say it reflects my low level of tastes. wink)

Star Trek, Inglourious Basterds, Terminator Salvation to name three more from this year alone! I could name all the films I've seen in the last few years in the cinema, but I can't be bothered. tongue
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Avatar is one of those films, those very few and rare films, that if you have an opinion other than 'it's simply brilliant', then you're either non-honest or biased or simply weird wink The film's a real spectacle, a huge innovation in all aspects and surely one film that will be remember for many years to come. Most importantly, it's a GREAT EXPERIENCE, something we don't frequently get in cinemas.

I think it's fair to criticize the film on grounds other than spectacle. It certainly is open to that. For me however, the spectacle is more than enough.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Most importantly, it's a GREAT EXPERIENCE, something we don't frequently get in cinemas.

I beg to differ. I think in recent years, 'great experience' films have been coming thick and fast! Ones that perhaps don't necessarily translate as well at home, but shine in the cinema. I've not seen a genuinely bad film in the cinema for longer than I'd care to remember - that speaks volumes! (Some will no doubt say it reflects my low level of tastes. wink)

Star Trek, Inglourious Basterds, Terminator Salvation to name three more from this year alone! I could name all the films I've seen in the last few years in the cinema, but I can't be bothered. tongue

I see your point, but wouldn't you place AVATAR way above?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've not seen it yet, but I'm guessing I will once I've seen it. Avatar is, it seems, one of those truly rare occasions where the experience is unforgettable. But its contemporary films, modern mainstream cinema if you like, definitely isn't lacking either!