• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    Southall wrote
    Life

Just finished watching this excellent BBC nature series. It wasn't as consistently jaw-dropping as Planet Earth (is anything?) but standards were high. My favourite episodes were the one about birds and the last one, about primates.

George Fenton's music also probably wasn't as consistently excellent as Planet Earth - but there were some truly spectacular moments, and with probably half an hour's score in all ten episodes, I'm sure there's a wonderful double-CD available if anyone wants to release it. At its best it's unquestionably the best new film music I've heard this year so I'm astonished - when one sees what does get released, even if as download-only - that it hasn't come out.

Come to think of it, it's probably one of my favourites from this year too. Fantastic film music, and a great example of how good film music really does make for a better experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    The Black Dahlia

It seems that most Brian de Palma films get lousy reviews and then I watch them and love them. This one got lousy reviews, I watched it and thought it was terrible (his worst film perhaps). Visually it is of course very striking - and the score, my word, what a score - but I remember reading the novel and not really seeing how it could be pulled off as a film. And it wasn't. The fact that pretty much every main character was miscast didn't really help but its problems were very deep.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hated that film James and never want to see it again.

Good score though, yeah!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I turned The Black Dahlia off after a good twenty minutes. I love De Palma (Carlito's Way especially) but this, no not my thing I guess...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ( to UK members ) Is there anything really worth watching on TV this Christmas? Apart from Top Gear Bolivia Special followed by an evening of comedy brilliance with Steve Coogan / I'm Alan Partridge this coming Sunday night I can't think of much else?

Any pointers???
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    No idea, I don't watch much TV - especially not... *shudders*... Christmas TV.

I either watch films or download TV series! (Two which I'm currently watching at the moment that I cannot recommend highly enough: Fringe and Dollhouse.)

Although I am an avid fan of Top Gear! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I either watch films or download TV series! (Two which I'm currently watching at the moment that I cannot recommend highly enough: Fringe and Dollhouse.)

And exactly why I'm asking people like you Steven, the vast majority of X-mas TV is total shite. I just want to know what's worth my time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    ( to UK members ) Is there anything really worth watching on TV this Christmas? Apart from Top Gear Bolivia Special followed by an evening of comedy brilliance with Steve Coogan / I'm Alan Partridge this coming Sunday night I can't think of much else?

Any pointers???

The only thing I could find to record (apart from films) is the Christmas special of The Royle Family. I think that show has been consistently outstanding, perhaps the finest modern British comedy (only serious competition being Phoenix Nights).
  2. Time to bring out the old Monty Python or Fawlty Towers episodes. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Royale Family? Yes please! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    The Black Dahlia

It seems that most Brian de Palma films get lousy reviews and then I watch them and love them. This one got lousy reviews, I watched it and thought it was terrible (his worst film perhaps).

I didn't like this though I did see it on a poor quality stream. I'd like to watch it again to see if I will change my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Le Comte de Monte Cristo
    Brilliant! Just brilliant! This is the marathon (400 minutes) French TV version starring Gerard Depardieu. Given the length it's way more faithful to the book than the Jim Caviezel version (which I also like). The Count's assistant Belluchio gets much more scope here and is one of the many delightful characters. And this is perhaps Bruno Coulais' finest work. Totally love it! Unfortunately the cd is oop so sad
  3. I saw those series and immensely enjoyed them. Depardieu's daughter plays in it (Julie), doesn't she?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

Any pointers???

One of the things I'll be tuning into is Outnumbered - a great ensemble cast deliver a very funny comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7bWzWYEWg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vybA54BF4 (sound visuals out of sync)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Le Château des Singes (A Monkey's Tale)
    French animation scored by Alexandre Desplat. The movie is just ok. Something about different tribes of monkeys (the civilized versus the savages) and superstitions about forbidden regions, a scheming minister, a poisoned princess... whatever. The score is decent fun especially for the scenes of playing on the trees and in the castle. But the songs... oh my... let's just say that his score writing is much much better that his song writing skills. dizzy

Le Comte de Monte Cristo

PawelStroinski wrote
    I saw those series and immensely enjoyed them. Depardieu's daughter plays in it (Julie), doesn't she?

Oh yes, she's in it too and rather pretty looking. Too bad that she's added more rotundity to her face as seen in more recent films like Un Secret
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

And exactly why I'm asking people like you Steven, the vast majority of X-mas TV is total shite. I just want to know what's worth my time.

shocked IS THERE ANYTHING ON, he asks???? shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    face-palm-mt

YESYESYESYESYESYESSSSSSSssssss! I will be watching. shame cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    The Thomas Crown Affair
    Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. cool A cool movie though I like the remake with Pierce Brosnan & Rene Russo better. The use of multiple split screens was very nice indeed... perhaps one of the earliest such uses.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    The Thomas Crown Affair
    Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. cool A cool movie though I like the remake with Pierce Brosnan & Rene Russo better. The use of multiple split screens was very nice indeed... perhaps one of the earliest such uses.

I agree that the Brosnan film is better though neither of those two actors have a tenth of the charisma of McQueen and Dunaway.

I favour Legrand's score too, in fact it's a favourite of mine and always has been though I do like Conti's effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote

I agree that the Brosnan film is better though neither of those two actors have a tenth of the charisma of McQueen and Dunaway.

Agreed! There's some incredible chemistry between them especially with the chess game. Wow! wink

I favour Legrand's score too, in fact it's a favourite of mine and always has been though I do like Conti's effort.

I'm not so much into that kind of jazzy sound so I prefer the Conti which is great fun (the cascading piano for the glider cues).
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: Monsters Vs. Aliens

Very good, funny film. Loved the Close Encounters and E.T. references in the film as well as in the score. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Ooohhh... I've seen A Christmas Carol !!! dizzy
    I had never seen 3D before. Wow, that is amazingly cool. Beautiful.

Us with 3D glasses -> cool cool cool cool

I really liked Jim Carrey too, even though it wasn't really him.
    We had a great time. It was quite scary though haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    RV: Monsters Vs. Aliens

Very good, funny film. Loved the Close Encounters and E.T. references in the film as well as in the score. smile

Loved it too! Went under the radar though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    Ooohhh... I've seen A Christmas Carol !!! dizzy
    I had never seen 3D before. Wow, that is amazingly cool. Beautiful.

Us with 3D glasses -> cool cool cool cool

I really liked Jim Carrey too, even though it wasn't really him.
    We had a great time. It was quite scary though haha.

Bregje, Bregje........dearest Bregje :

GO
    SEE
    NOW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009 edited
    Just saw: AVATAR (IMAX 3D)
    For a film so long in development, you'd think Cameron could've come up with a better plot. Avatar comes across as a film with such exhaustively developed worlds, their culture, fauna and creatures, that they forgot to spend a little more time on the script.

That's not to say the film isn't a blast. Especially during the first act, where we get to discover this marvelous new world, there's plenty to see and experience, particular when seen the way it was meant to be seen: in IMAX. Scenes like the 'pure spirits of the forest' one are nothing short of breathtaking, accompanied by a pitch perfect score from Horner.

Yet, when this first amazement is over, the storytelling faults become apparent in it's final act. Plot holes aplenty and cheesyness to boot, this is pure Hollywood in all its cliched predictability. Luckily the war keeps us busy in 3D, yet I'm sure this will disappoint when seen again on the small screen.

Did Cameron revolutionize special fx? Probably, yes. Character animation, creatures, landscapes, it's all amazingly photorealistic. Did he revolutionize the 3D medium? No. Maybe in the way he uses it for subtle effects, yet on a technical level, this still has a lot of issues.

By the way, are there any more people who saw this with subtitles? My biggest propblem was with the subs, not responding well to the 3D effects around it. Although they did foresee this and as such placed it not just centred but also at the left or right side of the screen, depending on where the characters were and what the 3D effect was, the subs still made me go cross-eyed several times. A problem I'm sure Americans and Brits don't have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009
    BobdH wrote
    By the way, are there any more people who saw this with subtitles? My biggest propblem was with the subs, not responding well to the 3D effects around it.

Indeed. The sequences spoken in the Navi language were subtitled and it was kinda weird how you feel reading the subs in a 3D environment. I assume it´s a matter of getting used to it, but still, really odd.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    By the way, are there any more people who saw this with subtitles? My biggest propblem was with the subs, not responding well to the 3D effects around it. Although they did foresee this and as such placed it not just centred but also at the left or right side of the screen, depending on where the characters were and what the 3D effect was, the subs still made me go cross-eyed several times. A problem I'm sure Americans and Brits don't have.

I did. It's pretty ok once you get used to it, after 10 minutes or so. Plus the subtitles' shifting places and depth in the movie (shifting from background to foreground etc) was very spot-on and a delight to see!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm, there wasn't any depth to the Dutch subtitles, just left, centred or right and sometimes the placement was ill-advised. I saw Beowolf in a press screening without any subs and I much preferred that. Oh well, one of my punishments for not being an American wink

By the way, I thought Cameron would've done some nifty effect with the English subtitles for the Na'vi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Greek subtitles where changing levels in depth too, apart horizontal positions in the screen too!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Blah blah, blah blah blah, blah, blah blah blah blah BLAH!

I MUST go and see Avatar.