• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Good of you to comment on that. It's a real snoozer for Davis, and I like this CD a LOT, actually!

What's the best Carl Davis out there? I only have his score for Ben Hur.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    His main theme to the documentary The World At War* is superb and incredibly apt. I don't know much of his work.

*Best WWII documentary ever made.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Good of you to comment on that. It's a real snoozer for Davis, and I like this CD a LOT, actually!

What's the best Carl Davis out there? I only have his score for Ben Hur.

You need to track down a 2CD set called The Silents.

That album will blow you away!

-Erik-

PS - Ben Hur is brilliant!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    What Erik said. An excellent compilation with some of his best work.

I'm personally very fond of his (strongly Rimsky-Korsakoff influenced) score for the 1924 The Thief Of Bagdad, but sadly the only album available for that is a boot taken from the DVD soundtrack (which isn't too bad: it's a silent film after all).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009
    I love the album with Davis with the RPO doing some of his themes. The theme from Champions is an absolute stunner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009
    Holodomor

A shocking documentary about the famine in Ukraine in 1932-33.
    Due to the ruthless provisions of the Soviet state, at least 8 million (!) people died from starvation in 500 days. More than 400 villages extincted completely.
    By 1933 people began to eat the dead, then sometimes they killed each other and ate the bodies.
    The whole idea behind this enormity was that according to the Soviets the independent class of peasantry was an enemy of the state so - as their intellectual leader, Marx put it - they had to be exterminated.
    Stalin was the main executor behind the plans but the original plans derived from the other bastard, Lenin.
    It was a Hungarian TV documentary with interviews with the survivors and many staggering archive footage.
    I think there should be many more movies (both feature and documentary) about the crimes of the communists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009
    Space Cowboys

It's cheesy, it's corny, but it's very entertaining!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    I love the album with Davis with the RPO doing some of his themes. The theme from Champions is an absolute stunner.

I think I will get this. Looks like a nice compilation and cheap too
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote

I think I will get this. Looks like a nice compilation and cheap too

Yeah, I really like that album (though the version I have has a different title and cover).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    THE FRIGHTENERS

I do like this movie very much despite the negative review of this movie. Michael J Fox was once again quite impressive in this movie after Back to the Future trilogy. Only the climax was little bit boring and i felt that they poured over dose of computer graphics. However, it was well directed by Peter Jackson and good score by Danny Elfman.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sunil wrote
    THE FRIGHTENERS

I do like this movie very much despite the negative review of this movie. Michael J Fox was once again quite impressive in this movie after Back to the Future trilogy. Only the climax was little bit boring and i felt that they poured over dose of computer graphics. However, it was well directed by Peter Jackson and good score by Danny Elfman.

I liked this one. It was fun even if there was too much graphics at the end. But oh my, Trini Alvarado was extremely cute!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    BhelPuri wrote

But oh my, Trini Alvarado was extremely cute!

Oh yeah! i like her very much. She looks very cute. kiss
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  1. Angels & Demons

considering the atrocious slow moving pace of The Da Vinci Code, this movie feels like a roller coaster ride. Once the search commences, it doesn't look back. And that makes this movie a lot of fun. The end even gives us a good (explosive moment). Zimmer's score works perfectly in the film, and I heard even a couple of great cues that wouldn't have fallen out of place on the CD. Overall, better than the boring The Da Vinci Code

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Angels & Demons

considering the atrocious slow moving pace of The Da Vinci Code, this movie feels like a roller coaster ride.

I much preferred the Da Vinci code. This one was more typical Hollywood action/MTV, without a single breather. I much prefer atmospheric movies that takes their time, instead of people running around all the time. That, and the Da Vinci code had Ian McKellen.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited
    Django (1966)

I've not seen this spaghetti western in fifteen years, and in my mind it was a better film.
    While some elements still hold up very well (the photography, the iconic first scene with a stranger dragging a coffin through a muddy, desolate landscape, the film's Fistful Of Dollars -like plotline and of course Bruno Nicolai's spellbinding score), some other elements don't.
    For one, the pace is downright plodding at times (director Sergio Corbucci is NOT by any means a Sergio Leone).
    But more importantly, the acting is atrociously bad, not helped in the slightest that there is not a single anglophone in the film, which means that everyone is dubbed. And in proper spaghetti western fashion, the dubbing actors sound like they've just got out of bed, been handed a sheet in a 4-year old's hand writing and asked to do the thing now, in one take.
    Blue-eyed, chiseled-jawed Franco Nero as Django does exude the proper menace and Clint-like roughness to portray the mercenary protagonist very interestingly.

3 out of 5

Bruno Nicolai takes the Ennio route, and very convincingly so.
    Excellent main theme, several subthemes, dramatic and/or faux-Mexican.
    A mesmerizing listen from start to finish, and one of the finest spaghetti western scores out there (and one of my personal favourites).

4.5 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Angels & Demons

considering the atrocious slow moving pace of The Da Vinci Code, this movie feels like a roller coaster ride. Once the search commences, it doesn't look back. And that makes this movie a lot of fun. The end even gives us a good (explosive moment). Zimmer's score works perfectly in the film, and I heard even a couple of great cues that wouldn't have fallen out of place on the CD. Overall, better than the boring The Da Vinci Code

7 out of 10

Agree, i enjoyed it immensely and the score works wonders in the film!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Changeling

A typical entry in Clint Eastwood's recent career - slow-paced, no gimmicks, well-acted, a touch of class throughout. Nothing outstanding, but very solid. I really like this guy's films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Changeling

A typical entry in Clint Eastwood's recent career - slow-paced, no gimmicks, well-acted, a touch of class throughout. Nothing outstanding, but very solid. I really like this guy's films.

Watched it yesterday. Agree with your definition: nothing outstanding, but very solid in all aspects. I loved the score by the way, IMO the best score written by Eastwood. A simple but very effective theme arranged and orchestrated in many ways, some of them very touching actually.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Changeling

Watched it yesterday. Agree with your definition: nothing outstanding, but very solid in all aspects. I loved the score by the way, IMO the best score written by Eastwood. A simple but very effective theme arranged and orchestrated in many ways, some of them very touching actually.

I thought it was a bit too repetitive really. Very lovely theme (similar to Million Dollar Baby) but maybe could have done with a bit more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Oh it IS repetitive. But he (or Niehaus) managed to orchestrate it pretty good on its many variations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Changeling

Give me GRAN TORINO over it any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Changeling

I thought Eastwood's score was horrible. It was absolutely the wrong tone for the film... and it was EXTREMELY repetitive. Even my wife hated the music. Every time that awful theme popped up she would say "Now, come on, Clint! Knock it off!" biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Every time that awful theme popped up she would say "Now, come on, Clint! Knock it off!" biggrin

-Erik-

So, she was like 90% of the movie talking? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Every time that awful theme popped up she would say "Now, come on, Clint! Knock it off!" biggrin

-Erik-

biggrin

Clint nailed it in MYSTIC RIVER and MILLION DOLLAR BABY but has gone down the awful street since then, he should really let someone else do the music for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah... exactly! And I didn't mind it because I was right there with her screaming at the TV!

Solid film ruined by an awful score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Clint nailed it in MYSTIC RIVER and MILLION DOLLAR BABY but has gone down the awful street since then, he should really let someone else do the music for him.

Changeling is basically the same as Million Dollar Baby, so it's hard to see how you could have such opposing reactions to them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But the 2 movies aren't the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited
    Gran Torino (2009)

Charming little film about grumpy old man Clint befriending and warming to misfit Vietnamese neighbour boy, to the benefit of both.
    No cliche is left out as the film plays a bit like a more brainy version of Karate Kid (although slightly watering down the message that proper violence solves everything), but it is buoyed immeasurably by Clint's powerhouse and charismatic performance. What makes it so interesting is how strongly he has cast off the Dirty Harry image people have for decades associated him with, without actually fully rejecting it. It makes his performance all the more strong.

While the interaction between Clint and the Vietnamese neighbours is likeable and interesting, and some of the scenes are a delight (such as him having been invited to the party next door, or the continuous Asian gratitude) the film as a whole feels curiously flat (probably because we've really seen it all before).

I never noticed the music much (so it didn't offend at least) but the end song (croaked by Clint himself) is pretty insepid.

3 out of 5

Incidentally, not being a car buff at all ()never could understand that fascination. To me it's just a vehicle), I only found out in the film that a Gran Torino is a 70s type of Ford car.
    I think it's butt ugly but I guess it means something to Americans. Or car buffs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    But the 2 movies aren't the same.

A well-observed point, but they didn't exactly require very different scores. There may have been a little more variety in Million Dollar Baby, but there wasn't much in it. I thought that score was OK in the film, Changeling could have done with a bit more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Gran Torino (2009)
    While the interaction between Clint and the Vietnamese neighbours is likeable and interesting, and some of the scenes are a delight (such as him having been invited to the party next door, or the continuous Asian gratitude) the film as a whole feels curiously flat (probably because we've really seen it all before).

But holy crap, are those asian kids poor actors or what? I still thought it was a wonderful movie and I would have rated the movie a 9 on imdb, but the amateurish acting bumped it down to an 8.

Peter smile