• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    George Fenton?
    THE George Fenton?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes! There was a forward to the play with Bennett talking about it and he mentioned George Fenton as actor and later, composer, so I was looking out for him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    cheesy A new mutation-- ThorPuri... bravely sticking by his lone opinion!

Saw last night...

Head-On (Gegen die Wand)
    I thought Edge of Heaven from same director (Fatih Akin) was one of the best movies of 2007 and I think it was franz who recommended this earlier film of his. Wow! This was almost as good as the former. I thought that the premise of a pretty, young Turkish girl marrying a down-in-life loser from the streets just so that she'd escape from her austere upbringing was very intriguing. From there the plot gradually draws you in as their relationship grows. The last half-hour or so was incredibly poignant.

I find both films extraordinary. EDGE OF HEAVEN probably has the edge for me though.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Timmer wrote
    Just watched an old Alan Bennett play filmed in 1972 called A Day Out, a very gentle and bittersweet tale of friendship before the advent of WWI, amongst the cast was George Fenton playing the brother of Anthony Andrews character. A really lovely little story.

I didn't catch A Day Out but I did watch the documentary about Bennett on Saturday nights. The time just flew by.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009
    FUNNY PEOPLE

With Adam Sandler, in a self-bio kind of movie. A surprisingly mature, thoughtful, well-acted and sentimental film with Sandler on top form and a bunch of other well-known comedians' and actors' short appearances, about getting older (not old), love, friends, life. I am shockingly revising my thoughts on Adam Sandler i think..............but never on Ben crappy Stiller though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What Just Happened

Really enjoyed this Hollywood satire. Very funny cameo from Bruce Willis. Excellent score by Marcelo Zarvos, and it's used ingeniously. One hears music played from a new film produced by the main character on his car stereo, and then later on the same cues are used dramatically in the main film. Very clever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    BACK TO THE FUTURE - Brilliant

BACK TO THE FUTURE II - Magnificent

BACK TO THE FUTURE III - Excellent. The last 15 minutes of train sequence was just roller coaster ride. Damn great one.

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE - I like this movie very much. And also i watched documentary film about J.K.Rowling's journey of writing Harry Potter books in bonus disc, it was quite heart touching. In fact, i am quite pleased with this DVD edition because of some interesting special features in bonus disc. I, too, enjoyed movie very much. Overall, worth to have this DVD. Don't miss it, guys.

T2: JUDGMENT DAY - One of the best sci fi films ever made in history of cinema. Excellent sequel!

THE ABYSS - Yet another sci fi classic. I believe after Spielberg, Cameron portrayed aliens as friendly species very successfully. I watched Special Edition ( of course, i have seen this so many times, but after long time i watched this movie recently). I just enjoyed every single moment of the movie. Excellent acting by both Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth. That's the genius of Cameron, where he make his characters so real and make the actors to deliver quality performance. Recently, many filmmakers highly relied on advance technologies and totally forget the storytelling and characterization. But Cameron is quite exceptional one. He is a master in handling the all departments in the film making. Hats off to Cameron.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Wow! 6 movies during the weekend? spin
    Cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    BhelPuri wrote

Cool!

Indeed. beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  3. Sunil wrote
    THE ABYSS - Yet another sci fi classic. I believe after Spielberg, Cameron portrayed aliens as friendly species very successfully. I watched Special Edition ( of course, i have seen this so many times, but after long time i watched this movie recently). I just enjoyed every single moment of the movie. Excellent acting by both Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth. That's the genius of Cameron, where he make his characters so real and make the actors to deliver quality performance. Recently, many filmmakers highly relied on advance technologies and totally forget the storytelling and characterization. But Cameron is quite exceptional one. He is a master in handling the all departments in the film making. Hats off to Cameron.

One of my favourite moments of many is when Bud (Ed Harris) tries to bring back Lindsey to the living. Top not acting from Ed! So powerful, it always brings tears to my eyes. And kudos to Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio for taking in the physical abuse. Must've been a hard scene to shoot.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sunil wrote
    BACK TO THE FUTURE III - Excellent. The last 15 minutes of train sequence was just roller coaster ride. Damn great one.

I thought it was a train ride?
  4. Yes. The train ride was an absolute roller coaster sequence.

Shame they didn't do the loop, would've been a train ride to die for. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. The Lord of the Rings trilogy (Extended editions)

Saw them all once again. This remains the stuff of legends. Saw them in the threatre : blown away. Saw them a couple of times in the home theatre: blown away some more, each bloody single time. These movies evoke all sorts of emotions in my body that linger with me hours after they have ended. Only the best films do that to me. It was my second time seeing the extended cuts and boy what a ride it is. I didn't think I would've been able to see the 4 hour cut of ROTK in one go (again), but I did, I just couldn't stop watching... Peter Jackson: you are the one to rule them all !!!

No what will I see next that comes close to its magnificence?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited
    I don't think they're without flaws though. A great technical achievement without a doubt (even if some of the special and visual effects were a little too ambitious and will probably age in the years to come), but I wouldn't call them masterpieces.

I can understand why people love them so much, but I suppose it doesn't help that I'm not much of a fan of all that fantasy malarkey. Also, why couldn't Gandalf have just flown the ring to Mordor in the first place rather than wait for two little hobbits to do it and then pick them up afterward!? It's such a glaringly obvious plot hole!

I'm just glad Shore got the gig.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Also, why couldn't Gandalf have just flown the ring to Mordor in the first place rather than wait for two little hobbits to do it and then pick them up afterward!? It's such a glaringly obvious plot hole!

Do you seriously want me to answer that?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I always thought the same: kick Gwahir's ass in gear and drop the ring from an altitude in a high-precision divebombing run. Would have saved four books!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    Also, why couldn't Gandalf have just flown the ring to Mordor in the first place rather than wait for two little hobbits to do it and then pick them up afterward!? It's such a glaringly obvious plot hole!

Well, there were dragons flying around, and they'd probably have munched on the birdies. It makes sense that Sauron had to be defeated first, before it was safe enough for the birds.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But he was a wizard, he could shoot them down with bolts of lightening or something. If he can't do that, then he sucks.

Gimme the pessimistic world of The Matrix any day (even though the two sequels aren't very good).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy (Extended editions)

Saw them all once again. This remains the stuff of legends. Saw them in the threatre : blown away. Saw them a couple of times in the home theatre: blown away some more, each bloody single time. These movies evoke all sorts of emotions in my body that linger with me hours after they have ended. Only the best films do that to me. It was my second time seeing the extended cuts and boy what a ride it is. I didn't think I would've been able to see the 4 hour cut of ROTK in one go (again), but I did, I just couldn't stop watching... Peter Jackson: you are the one to rule them all !!!

No what will I see next that comes close to its magnificence?

Partially agree with Steven ( it has it's errors ) but mostly agree with you Gilles cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm waiting on seeing the extended versions until they come out on blu ray.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    I'm waiting on seeing the extended versions until they come out on blu ray.

Now that would be worth seeing! (Especially as my parents have a 52" full HD Sony Bravia waiting at home when I go back for Christmas.) I'd skip straight to the battle scenes and turn up the volume. cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    52"!? How big is your house? You live in Bracknell right? That's a five minute drive for me. Count me in too! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And the speakers dwarf the TV, so my Dad didn't exactly skimp on the sounds system either. wink (He also bought a PS3 just to have the Blu-Ray player. biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited
    Hate you.

So when can I come visit? cheesy
  6. Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote

Do you seriously want me to answer that?

I'll answer that. That's not a plot hole. It's clearly stated in Fellowship that Gandalf is afraid of the power of the ring, and to not attract attention he sent a hobbit to do the job, because clearly he believed the little guy could do it and withstand the ring's attraction.

And besides, if Gandalf went himself, the story would have ended after 2 hours, and there is something such as Tolkien's books to follow. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And the nay sayers were shot down in flames biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Hate you.

So when can I come visit? cheesy

As long as you bring beer, anytime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just beer?

Poop. And here I was all packed with rum and port. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's no way to treat a party offer Martijn, you just bring the stuff and be damned! Ant brings beer, you bring port and rum, I'll bring whiskey and Steven can provide female company cool beer