• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Banlieue 13 (District B 13)

indeed cool movie, and very hard hitting action, we're gonna watch the sequel this afternoon punk

Nice! Let us know how it is. I hope it's as fun as the first one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (Βtw, James, i was asking WHY you went through such a shitty movie in the first place wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    (Βtw, James, i was asking WHY you went through such a shitty movie in the first place wink )

Most Emmerich films get lousy reviews and yet I enjoy them anyway (with the curious exception of Stargate, which got reasonably good reviews but I thought was awful) so I thought I'd give it a go. Wish I hadn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009 edited
    Ahh, Stargate... I love that film. Still Emmerich's best film IMO. (The point at which he should have stopped making movies too.)
  1. Me too, Stargate is ace, maybe it's because of that monumental music playing in the background. Anyway, I like the characters and the story is a good one for the sci-fi genre. And Ra and his henchmen are worthy bad guys.

BhelPuri wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

indeed cool movie, and very hard hitting action, we're gonna watch the sequel this afternoon punk

Maybe just a little less good than the first plotwise, but the action more than makes up for it. Alas Leito's cute little sister is nowhere to be found, I liked her part in the first one. It's definitely in the fun department if you ask me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    James, what did you think of 2012?
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Hostage
    Bruce Willis cop flick. Same old stuff but it's still entertaining. Desplat's score has some similarities with his French work (Nid de Guepes, Une Chance Sur Deux). It's quite good but those child-wordless-vocals are getting cliched.

I love the unhinged gothic touch that the director brought to this film. That moment when the boy with the two molotov cocktails sees the young girl like the Virgin Mary is surreal, silly, and is an example of an approach that makes the film so much more interesting than if it had been directed by one of the usual American B-film doyens.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    James, what did you think of 2012?

Haven't seen it. Will wait till it comes on tv.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Hostage
    Bruce Willis cop flick. Same old stuff but it's still entertaining. Desplat's score has some similarities with his French work (Nid de Guepes, Une Chance Sur Deux). It's quite good but those child-wordless-vocals are getting cliched.

I love the unhinged gothic touch that the director brought to this film. That moment when the boy with the two molotov cocktails sees the young girl like the Virgin Mary is surreal, silly, and is an example of an approach that makes the film so much more interesting than if it had been directed by one of the usual American B-film doyens.

Indeed. I really enjoyed it, daft though it is.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ha, that was the part of the movie that just had me in stitches. I just didn't make any sense. biggrin

Gotta love the scene where they have Bruce Willis held in the car with the seatbelt and the guys arm around his neck. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Hostage

Hostage was all that? 'Cause what i saw it's just a dumb movie elevated by a very, very good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hostage was all that? 'Cause what i saw it's just a dumb movie elevated by a very, very good score.

spin
    Kind of! I didn't notice it so much to figure a Gothic context. It's immensely watchable and with a good score!

And yes, that scene where they held up Willis in the car was cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Superman III
    A little better than part II but this is still chock full of inanities. The opening scene is goofy and would be more at home in a Pink Panther movie.
    Annette O'Toole was an awesome looker back then!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Better than Part II? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Better than Part II? shocked shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Have anyone of our British members been watching the latest series of The Thick Of It? Tonight's episode left me visibly shaken. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote

Oh, I thought Part II was utter pish-tosh. Part III comes close but Richard Pryor was fun and Anette O'Toole was yum. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Superman III is pants! Total pants... with the exception of the Superman vs. Superman fight. The rest is vomit Superman II on the other hand is a joy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's something in that phrase, "it is pants", that always manages to make me laugh my ass off smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Grifters

Odd film, reasonably good but some parts don't make sense. My favourite part was Elmer Bernstein's score, with its insanely catchy main theme (used brilliantly recently in a McDonald's commercial over here).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009 edited
    Currently watching an episode of the original Star Trek on our new(ish) CBS Action channel. they seem to have cropped the top and bottom off the picture to make it "widescreen". WTF!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes and no: they have actually digitally enhanced it in 16:9, and re-cropped the live-action scenes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. BhelPuri wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

it's definitely as fun as the first one, I liked the story more in the first, but the movie is still good in that regard
    as for the stunts and action, it's hard / fun / exciting and diverse

7 out of 10 smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh, I thought Part II was utter pish-tosh. Part III comes close but Richard Pryor was fun and Anette O'Toole was yum. dizzy

While I had some good laughs during Sup III thanks to Pryor, it doesn't stand a chance against the might and awesomeness of I and II.

Superman II has three great villains that have all the strengths of the Man of Steel, seriously how can you say they're better than the villains in III which are just lowly humans ? rolleyes wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Superman III is pants! Total pants... with the exception of the Superman vs. Superman fight. The rest is vomit Superman II on the other hand is a joy!

-Erik-

Exactly!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    DreamTheater wrote
    While I had some good laughs during Sup III thanks to Pryor, it doesn't stand a chance against the might and awesomeness of I and II.

Superman II has three great villains that have all the strengths of the Man of Steel, seriously how can you say they're better than the villains in III which are just lowly humans ? rolleyes wink

It's not just about the villains. It's the whole setup which I found little to enjoy in Sup II. Yeah, I can see how I'm alone in this opinion. But I don't care much between II and III.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009 edited
    Who is this....Bhelpuri? Kneel before Zod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    cheesy A new mutation-- ThorPuri... bravely sticking by his lone opinion!

Saw last night...

Head-On (Gegen die Wand)
    I thought Edge of Heaven from same director (Fatih Akin) was one of the best movies of 2007 and I think it was franz who recommended this earlier film of his. Wow! This was almost as good as the former. I thought that the premise of a pretty, young Turkish girl marrying a down-in-life loser from the streets just so that she'd escape from her austere upbringing was very intriguing. From there the plot gradually draws you in as their relationship grows. The last half-hour or so was incredibly poignant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just watched an old Alan Bennett play filmed in 1972 called A Day Out, a very gentle and bittersweet tale of friendship before the advent of WWI, amongst the cast was George Fenton playing the brother of Anthony Andrews character. A really lovely little story.