• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    I've never quite understood how TV shows and old programs can be shown in "HD" if they weren't originally filmed in HD?

For blu rays etc. I understand they get the original film in it's uncompressed format and can do magical things with technology there, but surely they aren't doing a half-finished job to get something on HD TV first?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    I guess that anything shot on film is in HD, you just need to master it. They certainly don't seem to make as much effort as they would for a Blu-Ray, but they still look better than DVDs generally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    Southall wrote
    I guess that anything shot on film is in HD, you just need to master it. They certainly don't seem to make as much effort as they would for a Blu-Ray, but they still look better than DVDs generally.

Exactly. You don't compress it that much, as you'd do for instance for .avi or mpeg2 mpg on dvd, you leave a lot of that information pretty much untouched or slightly compressed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Despite owning it on DVD I still watched STAR WARS : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK on TV this evening.
    What can I say but utterly BRILLIANT! punk

Shit, I'm waiting until this is released on BluRay before I watch it again! It's such a special movie to me, it's not something I'd idly watch on TV. No sir! (And you're a bad person for doing do... that's really my point here. biggrin )

Loosen up old chap rolleyes tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Midnight Express
    My first time watching this. Decent flick but the Turkish characters are all too one-dimensional.
    There was hardly anything interesting in the score aside from the brief-but-good chase theme. And Giorgio Moroder won an Oscar for it! Was it ground-breaking stuff for those times?

Not up everyones street but I love Moroder's score.

Groundbreaking? Well, it was the first entirely synth score to win the Oscar so on that point, yes! It was!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Manhatten Murder Mystery

A really enjoyable film, deliciously witty in places. One of Woody Allen's best from the 90s I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Despite owning it on DVD I still watched STAR WARS : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK on TV this evening.
    What can I say but utterly BRILLIANT! punk

Shit, I'm waiting until this is released on BluRay before I watch it again! It's such a special movie to me, it's not something I'd idly watch on TV. No sir! (And you're a bad person for doing do... that's really my point here. biggrin )

Loosen up old chap rolleyes tongue

On my part, I'm actually quite serious. Same with Back To The Future and Indiana Jones. I don't want to watch them too many times because I don't want them to loose any of their charm and novelty!
  1. 1408

This had an interesting concept by Stephen King but the director chose to not do anything with it. Cusack's character was annoying and unrealistic and the whole premise of the mystery was shot to hell when he opened to room 1408. I have no desire to watch this POS ever again.

King Kong (blu-ray)

First time in HD. This was underwhelming. Picture quality was mediocre and the sound I didn't even notice at all. The giant monkey did nothing to me and the spectacle was unexciting.

I'm lying of course. The Peter Jackson remake is brillliant, I love every second of it, plus the blu-ray is fantastic. You have to see the detail in the jungle and creature scenes to believe it. I don't think I've ever enjoyed it as much as just now. Great adventure film with many memorable scenes and to see that giant ape co-act against Naomi Watts is worth the price of admission.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not really being a fan of the original 1933 King Kong film (the sexist one), I greatly enjoyed Jackson's remake. No masterpiece, but as you say, a great adventure film. And the dino fight is awesome.
  2. Don't you agree the film suffers a bit from handheld-o-vision during the action setpieces? The nervous camera is enough to make one sick. I have no problem with it though, it's just very noticeable. I'm sure some people would have a problem with it, the same that have a problem with Cloverfield.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hated Cloverfield for that very reason. But oddly enough it didn't bother me in King Kong? Can't say I really noticed it that much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Not really being a fan of the original 1933 King Kong film (the sexist one), I greatly enjoyed Jackson's remake. No masterpiece, but as you say, a great adventure film. And the dino fight is awesome.

IT's awesome. Score-wise too. Very enjoyable!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm undecided whether to see Kong on blu ray. I'm sure the spectacle is worth it, but I've seen that movie a couple of times and it's just way too long.

Bring on LOTR blu ray any day.

Cloverfield, regardless of it's shorts, is a brilliant demonstration of what can be achieved with a huge TV and speaker system. I disliked the film in the cinema but think it's great on blu ray just for the technical marvel.
  3. Steven wrote
    I hated Cloverfield for that very reason. But oddly enough it didn't bother me in King Kong? Can't say I really noticed it that much.

I notice it because I'm quite close to my screen, to have that kind of cinema effect to my viewings. So with those films my eyes tend to have a serious workout. smile And Cloverfield was allright by me.
  4. Anthony wrote
    I'm undecided whether to see Kong on blu ray. I'm sure the spectacle is worth it, but I've seen that movie a couple of times and it's just way too long.

HD pics in case you're not sure

It's totally worth it IMO. I've enjoyed it tons more than in the threatre.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm with Ant, Kong is way too long and bloated. Kong himself is an awesome acchievement though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    On my part, I'm actually quite serious. Same with Back To The Future and Indiana Jones. I don't want to watch them too many times because I don't want them to loose any of their charm and novelty!

I've watched those films hundreds of times and they have NEVER lost their charm or novelty!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Once a year (if that) is enough for me. The less frequently I watch them, the more I enjoy them when I do watch them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Once a year (if that) is enough for me. The less frequently I watch them, the more I enjoy them when I do watch them.

All the BTTF films on Sky this week. Watched the first one quite recently so won't watch it again, but it's been a long, long time since I've seen the other two - looking forward to it. Will be like catching up with old friends.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Watched THE LONGEST DAY this afternoon.

IMO, arguably the best WWII movie ever made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    Not up everyones street but I love Moroder's score.

Groundbreaking? Well, it was the first entirely synth score to win the Oscar so on that point, yes! It was!!

Interesting! I did notice that it was before Vangelis' Chariots of Fire so perhaps it was a first of all sorts.

Saw last night...

Power Of One
    I expected something else from this movie (perhaps along the lines of Cry Freedom). But this turned out to be very Hollywoodized. Hans Zimmer's score is tops! Remove Hans from the big budget movies and he'll be awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Yes. It is.

Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne
    blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    The Mummy 3

A very slight and very silly film, but I probably enjoyed it (and its score, inside the film at least) a little more than the second instalment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The French Connection

Fabulous film, great car chase, terrific Gene Hackman. I'd forgotten how good it is.
  5. Oh yes, that's one of the masterpieces of film cinema, one of the best crime thrillers ever.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Mummy 3

A very slight and very silly film, but I probably enjoyed it (and its score, inside the film at least) a little more than the second instalment.

Good god in heaven, you really must not like Stephen Sommers!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The French Connection

Fabulous film, great car chase, terrific Gene Hackman. I'd forgotten how good it is.

Incredible film, part II is hardly slouching either.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes. It is.

Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne
    blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.

Da Da Da Daaaaah! beer
  6. Horner? dizzy
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    RV: Fringe

Been an extremely refreshing break from The West Wing, which is becoming increasingly harder to keep my enthusiasm for. John Noble as the mad scientist is just a miracle of casting. A very entertaining show! (And much better than the over abundance of crime scene/cop shows American film and TV studios and American audiences are in love with. rolleyes )