• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Looks cool... never heard of it. And cameos are awesome, at least the ones you don't expect.

The trailer represents the movie very well. Since you like the trailer, I'm sure you'll love the movie.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Rang no bell at all, until I found out -by googling it- it's a very recent film.
    I don't think it's my cup of tea as I already got REALLY annoyed by this little incident that sheds some light on the film makers' integrity:
    The film originally featured a scene in which an Iranian character is murdered by her brother in an honor killing, but the National Iranian American Council opposed the plotline as being unrealistic and offensive

The National Iranian American Council can suck my dick. angry

My sentiments exactly friend.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Ooh boy, forgot to mention this awesome movie that I saw last week...

Don't Mess With The Zohan
    By far the best movie of last year. It has the guts to deal with the Israel-Palestine crisis without any crude humor. This is as far away from the stereotyped Adam-Sandler-movie as one can get. Highly recommended! tongue
    http://imgur.com/5jLio.jpg

I thought Zohan was one of the worst Adam Sandler movies yet, I couldn't laugh whatsoever with the jokes, the only thing that kept me going was Emmanuelle Chriqui: understand why

At least i am not alone! smile Although, to be fair, i can't imagine a movie with Sandler in it being anything else than shit. Not that i am biased in anyway wink tongue

Of course, just wanted to see if any would take that comment seriously. I came close to stopping the movie a number of times but each time I thought I'd give it another 5 minutes to see more Chriqui. What a groan-laden film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    Crossing Over

Never finished it.
    I bought it solely because it starred Harrison Ford.
    I absolutely hate films that are too over-handed, preachy, and cram things down your throat. At least try to do it discreetly, subconsciously so I don't notice. Come ON!

Anyone else see it?
    Worth finishing?

Haven't seen it but the reviews it got are outright horrible.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Never been a football fan myself. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only Australian that doesn't care about any sport. wink

Damn! The first time in 27 years we beat the Australians at rugby and there's no-one to boast about it to - where it would actually mean something.
    sad

Or are you just saying this Michael? How is the media over there taking it?

Can't say I have my head much in the media either. My ears just sort of switch off when the discussion turns to sport!
    My boss will probably be very upset, if that's some consolation! He's even over in the UK at the moment, so I'm sure he's catching hell over it. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Up
    Saw this last night on DVD. Very well made. The part that really lingers for me after it's all over are those sad scenes of Carl being alone (after Elie has passed) and again when he flips through her book of memories. Wow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009
    Curse of the Mummy the Hammer film
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited
    Up is almost certain to win the well-deserved Best Animated Feature awards this time. Lovely film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited
    I enjoyed the first half a lot.
    Never giving up on dreams while life gets in the way was wonderfully depicted in a way that was emotional, but never broke the Disney hypersentimentality barrier for me.

(And I did so enjoy the little tip of the hat to the silent 1925 version of The Lost World).

Sadly for me the bittersweet tone (and the somewhat surreal sensse of humour) wasn't maintained in the second half when it gave way to Indiana Jones-ish hijinx.

It was still fun, but it made the film a little less evenhanded for me.
    Based solely on the first half, Up would have been in the top three Pixar films for me. As a whole though, I did enjoy The Incredibles (still the most mature, smartest and dramatically balanced Pixar film yet) and Ratatouille better.

Giacchino's score is fine, but not especially...well...special.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My only complaint was that Muntz was under developed, he never really got the screen time to become truly hated.

Other than that, it was brilliant, and Kevin an Dug are two of the best sidekick characters Pixar have come up with.
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Of course, just wanted to see if any would take that comment seriously. I came close to stopping the movie a number of times but each time I thought I'd give it another 5 minutes to see more Chriqui. What a groan-laden film!

I actually stopped the movie a couple of times, and I've seen some shite in my days, so when that happens something must be really wrong

but like you, the actress just kept luring me back tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    My only complaint was that Muntz was under developed, he never really got the screen time to become truly hated.

Other than that, it was brilliant, and Kevin an Dug are two of the best sidekick characters Pixar have come up with.

Agree with both points. smile
    Kevin especially was great.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Scotland 9 Australia 8 shocked punk beer

I'll post any relevant videos for non-UK people when I find them!

Mobile phone version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZizirLeQiFM

BBC version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTU9lQA-IU8

beer
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    Youth Without Youth
    Intriguing time-traveling love story meets Freudian mind-meld. Didn't entirely understand what was happening. I think I somewhat understand it now after checking IMDB.
    Lovely score btw! And Alexandra Maria Lara is wow!
  4. The Killer and Hard-Boiled

Those classics made me a fan of John Woo in his Hong Kong days. I always loved Face/Off, I actually like Broken Arrow and M:I-2 is a good watch once in a while and I do like Hard Target. Except that he's very much meh in Hollywood. Windtalkers tries to be a serious movie, which features Nicolas Cage in his one-face "Hello, I Hate My Life, It Really Sucks!" mode and the bland Paycheck (wonderful Powell score, yes) has Ben "I Have the Charisma of a Wooden Block" Affleck and, to be honest, after this it took me Dark Knight to realize that Aaron Eckhart actually CAN act. It didn't even have the over-the-top villain to boot (mostly courtesy of the charmingly charismatic John Travolta, but Lance Henrikssen and Dougray Scott had that too).

His Hong Kong movies are different. The best thing about them are of course the action scenes with hyperkinetic and great camera work and meticulous, even if oft-improvised, choreography. Hard-Boiled has the wonderful UNCUT three-minute sequence during the climactic hospital shootout (very violent, very graphic, very dramatic, using the patients as hostage and sometimes even cannon fodder, look at that Hollywood, the consequence is SHOCKING, but also rather meaningful). Except the pure action, the characters are great. Maybe one of the reason why his Hollywood movies were subpar (except Face/Off really, that one has the level of his Hong Kong movies, but Douglas gave him pure freedom) is that he never wrote his scripts there.

Chow Yun-Fat is amazing and his chemistry with both Danny Lee and Tony Leung respectively is great. Characters are really the strength of the movies, also the strong stories.

I loved the movies, both of them. Action-wise, Hard-Boiled wins, character-wise - The Killer is much better.

Music? Generic electronical scores, Zimmer and Powell did much better in Hollywood (I am also a fan of Horner's Windtalkers score, which was heavily mistreated in the movie though). The use of James Horner's Red Heat in The Killer borders on funny at some moments and once (when [spoiler]Yun-Fat's future girflriend gets blinded by him in the beginning[/spoiler]) is even jarring.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. BhelPuri wrote
    Youth Without Youth
    Intriguing time-traveling love story meets Freudian mind-meld. Didn't entirely understand what was happening. I think I somewhat understand it now after checking IMDB.
    Lovely score btw! And Alexandra Maria Lara is wow!

Agreed on all counts. The score is a major work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Killer and Hard-Boiled

I like 'em both too, yet I only saw them when I saw every Woo made in Hollywood, so I did not grow up with them, sadly, and I really think that would've been much better.

The one point I have with those two films is an aesthetic one: the sound is so flat and one-dimensional I cannot enjoy them as much as his later Hollywood films (Face/Off, Hard Target and M:I 2 do it for me), but that doesn't mean I don't respect 'em for what they are: high octane action flicks that give a well deserved meaning to the term 'gun ballet'. Really, they're awesome flicks but man, I hope one day these get remastered with new sound. Such a shame that all these great Hong Kong flicks of the day have such lousy sound. Can I hide the fact that I am a total audio nut? cheesy I mean look at what they did with Star Wars. The sound is as good as any film recently released, and that flick is over 30 years old.

And isn't there a bit of Predator 2 in 'Hard-Boiled?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote

Boy oh boy, because of the big spectacle and effects of all kinds, i really wanted to find something despite all the horrible reviews, to make me go and see it for the entertainment value of it alone. But as time passes by and more people go and see it, my hopes are running low, close to zero. I don't think i'll ever make myself see it in any form!

I think at least for the sake of visual effects, you can go and watch this film. In fact, this film is not too bad or too good. All i can say is 2012 better than previous films like 10,000 BC and The Day After Tomorrow.

All the best.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote

His Hong Kong movies are different. The best thing about them are of course the action scenes with hyperkinetic and great camera work and meticulous, even if oft-improvised, choreography. Hard-Boiled has the wonderful UNCUT three-minute sequence during the climactic hospital shootout (very violent, very graphic, very dramatic, using the patients as hostage and sometimes even cannon fodder, look at that Hollywood, the consequence is SHOCKING, but also rather meaningful). Except the pure action, the characters are great. Maybe one of the reason why his Hollywood movies were subpar (except Face/Off really, that one has the level of his Hong Kong movies, but Douglas gave him pure freedom) is that he never wrote his scripts there.

Chow Yun-Fat is amazing and his chemistry with both Danny Lee and Tony Leung respectively is great. Characters are really the strength of the movies, also the strong stories.

I loved the movies, both of them. Action-wise, Hard-Boiled wins, character-wise - The Killer is much better.

I agree with your review Pawel. I haven´t still watched a Hollywood movie as intense, violent and dramatic as the last 40 minutes of Hard Boiled. Have you seen A Bullet in the Head (Woo´s more personal project) and A Better Tomorrow 2 (with another epic finale)?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  6. Not yet, but I plan to smile

I must admit to watching them in a Kokodezil mode, but I'm afraid they aren't very accessible here in Poland.

It will be cool to return to my Woody Allen series after a series of Woo movies lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not yet, but I plan to smile

I must admit to watching them in a Kokodezil mode, but I'm afraid they aren't very accessible here in Poland.

It will be cool to return to my Woody Allen series after a series of Woo movies lol

Quite a switch in genre.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RV: Space Chimps

What a piece of trash... vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Surely the clue's in the title?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
  7. Keep that in mind if they ever make a sequel titled "Ocean Ducks".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Obsession
    Finally available on Netflix! The second and final collaboration between Brian DePalma and Bernard Herrmann. The movie stars Cliff Robertson, Genevieve Bujold and John Lithgow. There's a big homage to Hitchcock's Vertigo with almost the same plot. Being the DePalma fan that I am, I really wanted to like this one but it just left me like meh!
    The score sounded way over the top during the suspense/action parts at the beginning. The love theme is quintessential Herrmann but it does get a ridiculous choral addition at the end of the movie. This is the score that had Bujold cry to Benny saying that "...you made love to me with your music"
  8. It's such a silly movie. There's moments of great style (both versions of throwing the money onto the pier from the boat are classic DePalma setups), but mostly it's a letdown.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's such a silly movie. There's moments of great style (both versions of throwing the money onto the pier from the boat are classic DePalma setups), but mostly it's a letdown.

Agreed!
  9. PawelStroinski wrote

I need to watch more movies - for a moment I thought it was the name of one film! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I need to watch more movies - for a moment I thought it was the name of one film! shame

Don't worry. They're very much fan favorites, but not exactly known by the general public. I didn't know about them until about 2 years ago, and I love John Woo. I was brought up on his Hollywood style, not his hong kong style, but I very much would've wanted to.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.