• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    Wow, one of his best scores to date? Can't wait! (although i won't go as far as to actually watching the crappy movie wink ) thanks for the report! As for Desplat elevating the movie, well he can do it for any movie he worked on, really, that's one of the traits of a great composer.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. DemonStar wrote
    RV:

Up - 5/5

I guess I'm not exaggerating when I say this more than deserves to be called a real Pixar classic. Stunning animation, excellent story, superb voice acting and excellent music. After significant time have I got a tear in my eyes watching an animated film (especially in the Stuff We Did part), kudos to the plot. The cinematography and animation is simply stunning, especially the balloons emerging from the house during the first take-off sequence, the storm scene, escape from Muntz's lair and the final airborne battle. Terrific ending too. Giacchino's score is nothing short of stunning, if it doesn't at least get an Oscar nomination it'll be a sin. Even the simple piano versions of Ellie's theme work wonders in the movie, and Memories Can Weigh You Down gave me goosebumps. A real achievement all around, full stars without a doubt.

Did you see it in 3D? If not, it's quite a treat. Makes you feel you're even more part of the adventure. Should be quite a ride for Avatar.

And UP is indeed stunning. One of my favorite Pixars, along with Ratatouille and The Incredibles. It's also Giacchino's best effort musically IMO. The sound of Up has more in common with his videogame music, so I'm loving every second of it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I saw it on DVD. Will certainly try to watch in 3D when I can!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha

The first quarter or so was a lot of fun.
    After watching the earth's crust falling away and many plane take-offs at the last second that began to get dull.

The characters were unlikeable, predictable, and not very interesting.
    The entire ending is a major let down.
    Weak score. haha

I guess what is usually expected from Ronald Emmerich.

I grew up with Independence having seen it twice in theaters and wearing out a VHS tape.
    Perhaps I enjoyed cause I was young but possibly because it did better in some areas where this film lacked. Likable characters, exciting dogfight sequences, a strong ending, and fantastic score.

I hope Emmerich doesn't ruin perhaps his best work with a poor sequel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Boy oh boy, because of the big spectacle and effects of all kinds, i really wanted to find something despite all the horrible reviews, to make me go and see it for the entertainment value of it alone. But as time passes by and more people go and see it, my hopes are running low, close to zero. I don't think i'll ever make myself see it in any form!
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Ooh boy, forgot to mention this awesome movie that I saw last week...

Don't Mess With The Zohan
    By far the best movie of last year. It has the guts to deal with the Israel-Palestine crisis without any crude humor. This is as far away from the stereotyped Adam-Sandler-movie as one can get. Highly recommended! tongue
    http://imgur.com/5jLio.jpg

I thought Zohan was one of the worst Adam Sandler movies yet, I couldn't laugh whatsoever with the jokes, the only thing that kept me going was Emmanuelle Chriqui: understand why
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Ooh boy, forgot to mention this awesome movie that I saw last week...

Don't Mess With The Zohan
    By far the best movie of last year. It has the guts to deal with the Israel-Palestine crisis without any crude humor. This is as far away from the stereotyped Adam-Sandler-movie as one can get. Highly recommended! tongue
    http://imgur.com/5jLio.jpg

I thought Zohan was one of the worst Adam Sandler movies yet, I couldn't laugh whatsoever with the jokes, the only thing that kept me going was Emmanuelle Chriqui: understand why

At least i am not alone! smile Although, to be fair, i can't imagine a movie with Sandler in it being anything else than shit. Not that i am biased in anyway wink tongue
  3. 50 First Dates is very good I think, Mr Deeds funny enough because it has a hilarious role of John Turturro, and Click is actually a strong dramatic movie near the end (with good music I might add smile )
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009 edited
    omaha wrote

The first quarter or so was a lot of fun.
    After watching the earth's crust falling away and many plane take-offs at the last second that began to get dull.

The characters were unlikeable, predictable, and not very interesting.
    The entire ending is a major let down.
    Weak score. haha

Although you are too generous with your review, I agree wink Let me add it is insulting and a failure in all aspects.

omaha wrote
    I grew up with Independence having seen it twice in theaters and wearing out a VHS tape.
    Perhaps I enjoyed cause I was young but possibly because it did better in some areas where this film lacked. Likable characters, exciting dogfight sequences, a strong ending, and fantastic score.

Same here. ID4, despite its (many, many) weak points is a divertimento and, as you say, one can enjoy plenty of great action sequences and charismatic characters (and actors). And Arnold´s score of course.

Christodoulides wrote
    Boy oh boy, because of the big spectacle and effects of all kinds, i really wanted to find something despite all the horrible reviews, to make me go and see it for the entertainment value of it alone. But as time passes by and more people go and see it, my hopes are running low, close to zero. I don't think i'll ever make myself see it in any form!

You are winning three hours of your life. And saving some valuable euros.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    RV: ACCROSS THE UNIVERSE (Julie Taymor - 2007) ****
    Although the chosen approach by Julie Taymor (a wildly ambitious portrait of America during the '60's as told with a lot of Beatles songs) proves problematic, in that it's hard for her to keep a coherent story, the visuals with which she presents the story more than make up for it.

When seen as a portrait of the time, with events like the protests against Vietnam, Uncle Sam's enlistment of fresh meat for the war and the racial wars on the streets of New York, told with highly expressive visuals and inventive use of CGI, it more than succeeds. Heck, I even got goosebumps when they all bursted out in singing All You Need is Love (a song I was never fond of).

Which Taymor also thanks to her willingness of giving a whole new spin to the famous Beatle songs: I never expected that the flamboyant I Wanna Hold Your Hand could generate such emotions, and also the gospel version of Let it Be is a strong move.

Yet, when seen as a lovestory, or a story of a couple of kids fighting in the revolution, the film suffers from a lack of a straight storyline. Yet even though its hard to invest emotions into the characters, I almost shed a tear come Hey, Jude. Plus, the bombing of Vietnam with strawberries in Strawberry Fields is an amazing 'wow' moment. For just that, Across the Universe deserves its four stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I had a similar reaction - stunning visually, great (and creative) versions of the songs, wafer-thin plot - the latter doesn't really matter because of the former two.

I wonder if Martijn has seen it - I think he might like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I was already bent on seeing it because of The Beatles. You fellows are making me want to see it even more. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Paranormal Activity

Weak. Not scary at all.
    I'd much rather watch The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

The Informant

Marvin Hamlisch's score fit the movie perfectly.
    A very smart comedy that reeled the audience in closer and closer as it went.
    It really had a lot to say about corporate America as well as the International corporate world.
    Haha, it was fun going back to the early 90's.
    Also, Matt Damon really disappeared into the character. My respect for him has shot up enormously over the years. Looking forward to Invictus and Green Zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Southall wrote
    I had a similar reaction - stunning visually, great (and creative) versions of the songs, wafer-thin plot - the latter doesn't really matter because of the former two.

Yup, exactly.

omaha wrote
    I was already bent on seeing it because of The Beatles. You fellows are making me want to see it even more. beer

Good, because it is a must see movie! Just don't keep those mainstream storytelling rules next to it smile .
  4. 2000 ABC TV movie "The Christmas Secret"

All around a fairly enjoyable Christmas film centering around a family; a father, a wife, and a daughter. The father, wanting to prove reindeer can fly, ends up searching Alaska in a small plane, disappearing.

The mother and daughter don't give up hope he is alive. He tries to get home, but Santa won't allow him to leave (not in a mean way, mind you).

The acting is actually pretty good all round, sprinkled with some genuine Christmas warmth.

Johnathan Goldsmith's score (not relation to Jerry) is servicable and nothing special, though there are a handful of cues that might be nice to hear apart from the special.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009
    Southall wrote
    I wonder if Martijn has seen it - I think he might like it.

confused Seen what? confused
    confused confused Like what?confused confused

confused confused confused Listen. Who are you?confused confused confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Don't know why I bothered. Not good at all. The lead actress is cute though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GAMER

Hands down worst movie of the year, a total waste of money and time. And the score is ridiculously horrible, seriously the man should never get another project, ever again. The "music" contained in this movie is plain horrible, totally useless as it doesn't even try the slightest to at least help, and elevate the on-screen crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    omaha wrote
    Paranormal Activity

Weak. Not scary at all.[/b]

Agreed. I don't get what all the fuss is about. I think people simply like that it's different than the typical Hollywood movie and the fact that it had such a small budget, so they rant louder than they otherwise would have. Kinda like how one always feel compelled to cheer for the little guy in a fighting match.

omaha wrote
    I'd much rather watch The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
    [/b]

Urgh! I'd rather watch "Paranormal activity" ten times in a row. "The exorcism of Emily Rose" ranks as the crappiest and most annoying "scary" movie I've ever seen.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Don't know why I bothered. Not good at all. The lead actress is cute though.

Nothing replaces James Mason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How come no one recognized his voice?
    Even when he disguised it, it is SO characteristic!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FANBOYS (trailer)

Very funny movie, especially if you're a "Star Wars" geek. Lots of SW quotes and SW inspired scenes, and of course a bunch of cameo appearances.

I gave it an 8 rating on imdb.

Peter cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Crossing Over

Never finished it.
    I bought it solely because it starred Harrison Ford.
    I absolutely hate films that are too over-handed, preachy, and cram things down your throat. At least try to do it discreetly, subconsciously so I don't notice. Come ON!

Anyone else see it?
    Worth finishing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rang no bell at all, until I found out -by googling it- it's a very recent film.
    I don't think it's my cup of tea as I already got REALLY annoyed by this little incident that sheds some light on the film makers' integrity:
    The film originally featured a scene in which an Iranian character is murdered by her brother in an honor killing, but the National Iranian American Council opposed the plotline as being unrealistic and offensive

The National Iranian American Council can suck my dick. angry
  5. plindboe wrote
    FANBOYS (trailer)

Very funny movie, especially if you're a "Star Wars" geek. Lots of SW quotes and SW inspired scenes, and of course a bunch of cameo appearances.

I gave it an 8 rating on imdb.

Peter cheesy

Looks cool... never heard of it. And cameos are awesome, at least the ones you don't expect.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Well I got pissed off when they had a scene featuring a Muslim girl proclaiming her respect for the 911 terrorists in front of her class.

Oh, the other students didn't respect what she said... so sad for her.
    As an American, this scene made me seethe with anger.
  6. Did anyone watch the rugby earlier?

Scotland 9 Australia 8 shocked punk beer

Ended a 27-year losing streak against Australia. My nerves were frayed by the end. It was a brilliant match, Scotland defending for practically the whole of the 80 minutes and once Chris Paterson put over the drop goal to put Scotland 6 points in front with 5 minutes to go.....

Those last 5 minutes were the longest ever with Australia edging closer and closer to Scotland's try line. Then - in injury time - Australia scored a try to bring it to 9-8. I thought that it was over...Australia just needed to score the 2 extra points from the conversion to win 9-10. But Matt Giteau MISSED!

The whole family roared out a cheer as we won!

Did you catch it, Michael?

BBC report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u … 369615.stm

(I'll post any relevant videos for non-UK people when I find them!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Never been a football fan myself. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only Australian that doesn't care about any sport. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    Never been a football fan myself. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only Australian that doesn't care about any sport. wink

Damn! The first time in 27 years we beat the Australians at rugby and there's no-one to boast about it to - where it would actually mean something.
    sad

Or are you just saying this Michael? How is the media over there taking it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    omaha wrote
    Well I got pissed off when they had a scene featuring a Muslim girl proclaiming her respect for the 911 terrorists in front of her class.

Oh, the other students didn't respect what she said... so sad for her.
    As an American, this scene made me seethe with anger.

I don't think you have to be an american to feel pissed off at that scene. While I see the value in trying to understand why the hijcakers did what they did, speaking of them as heroes who were fighting for a worthy cause angers me too, and that the movie seemingly presented her as a brave girl standing up for what's right is a pain to behold.

Of course I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not sure what the filmmakers were trying to achieve, so there's a good chance I've misunderstood the intention with the scene.

Peter smile