• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited
    keky wrote
    KING KONG (1933)

I think that from the three versions of this movie I have seen, this is the best. What I particularly liked is that in this original version King Kong is really a beast and not a sensitive hero of a weird romance. The girl doesn't love him at all, she is just afraid of him and is eager to get rid of the beast.
    The special effects seem funny sometimes for the modern eye but one can only have respect for the creators because the movie is 76 years old and they did a groundbreaking work.

^ What keky said! punk
    One of my favourite favourite monster/classic films!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Oh, and you can keep your Katie and Maggie. Salma is a proper woman!

Ba-zing! Indeed!

-Erik--

Oh you won't find me disagreeing with that! I'd add Monica Belucci too. The thought of those 2......
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    What about Carmen Electra?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    keky wrote
    KING KONG (1933)

I think that from the three versions of this movie I have seen, this is the best. What I particularly liked is that in this original version King Kong is really a beast and not a sensitive hero of a weird romance. The girl doesn't love him at all, she is just afraid of him and is eager to get rid of the beast.
    The special effects seem funny sometimes for the modern eye but one can only have respect for the creators because the movie is 76 years old and they did a groundbreaking work.

^ What keky said! punk

One of my favourite favourite monster/classic films!

It's a historical milestone too, for cinema. Murray Spivak used creative sound effects design for the first time and also Max Steiner wrote and recorded the first, proper major original score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't know about the 'first proper major original score' though. Whyis King Kong always the example? I believe last year was the celebration of 100 years of film music (in France). There should be earlier scores than King Kong's, right?
    Kazoo
  1. Timmer wrote
    ^
    Me with them two....Salma lick

Only two words you need to know: Santanico Pandemonium shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited
    Carriers

An original (or at least different) approach to the already tiring virus infection genre. Focusing on a small group of characters on its way to a safe zone (and the tension/s generated among them) instead of a bunch of characters being pursuit by ultra-mega-fast-blood-thirsty infected beings. Well shot, edited and a very good performance by the whole cast, specially Chris Pine.

3.5 out of 5
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    What about Carmen Electra?

What about her?

I wouldn't throw her out of bed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Is your bed big enough for her, your wife and yourself?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't throw anyone out of their bed. It's just not a very nice thing to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What if the bed was falling down a large hole and they would die unless you threw them out?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    Me with them two....Salma lick

Only two words you need to know: Santanico Pandemonium shocked

Jesus H brain disintigration images Batman!!!! shocked lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I don't know about the 'first proper major original score' though. Why is King Kong always the example? I believe last year was the celebration of 100 years of film music (in France). There should be earlier scores than King Kong's, right?

Of COURSE there have been...however Steiner's score for King Kong is considered pivotal as it was the first score that created a thematic unity and musical narrative to not only support the images on screen but actually be an integral part of the story (with some great crossover effects not employed until that time, like the use of diegetic music crossing into the score (like the jungle drums on Skull Island)).

It's the very first way a score was written and employed in a modern fashion and in the way as we understand, employ and appreciate film music still today.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Today being Thanksgiving in America there is a lot of football today
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    I don't know about the 'first proper major original score' though. Whyis King Kong always the example? I believe last year was the celebration of 100 years of film music (in France). There should be earlier scores than King Kong's, right?

Before that, they were compilations of older pre-recorded material on grammophone disc, along with either improvisational pieces by the pianist or even an orchestra, plus perhaps classical music that constituted the movie's "soundtrack", for instance 1926's "Don Juan" and 1927's "The Jazz Singer", the latter also brought the official end of Silent Era, coupled with 1929's Steamboat Willie by Disney. There were some earlier attempts for an original score, but the first time someone sat down wrote and recorded with budget and large orchestra proper film music that followed the on-screen happenings is King Kong by Steiner, at least in the official bibliography.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Superman I & II
    These seem so silly and corny now! How on earth did Chris Reeve not find it laughable to wear that costume!
    S-2 is just atrocious.
  2. You may call Sup II corny (though I still love it), but not Sup I, which is classic epic emotional movie magic (that's 100 times better than The Dark Knight can ever hope to become).

FACT !!! wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Silly? Corny?
    angry

I'm putting Kryptonite in your Horlicks. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    tongue
    Oh Sup 1 is definitely movie magic. But there are enough face-palm-mt scenes in it that I can't stand now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Silly? Corny?
    angry

I'm putting Kryptonite in your Horlicks. angry

Give 'im a double dose....y' know, the deadly one that kills! angry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Southall wrote
    What if the bed was falling down a large hole and they would die unless you threw them out?

As always, you throw these matters into perspective.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

As always, you throw these matters into perspective.

But would they die if they were thrown into perspective?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sometimes, when I lay on a good mattress, I just want to die. So it's all dependent from your bed gear Southall.

Do you have good bed gear?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good...bed...gear ?
    uhm

Shouldn't you take this to PM, Bregt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I was going to ask whether I'd die in his bed or not. But perhaps that is off topic, so I won't open that discussion.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Let me get this straight... you want to know whether James' gear is such that you'd just die in his bed?

(Obviously I'm just trying to clarify matters here!)
  4. Beware the thorns in that bed of roses.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009
    I think it's time for Bregt to get a 2-day ban. On the third day the world will end probably, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I finally gave in 2012

Switched off brain and found it:

BLOODY FANTASTIC AND LOUD. PROPER HOLLYWOOD ENTERTAINMENT. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Oh! Christodoulides, i knew you would say this. In fact, i going to watch 2012 for second time in theater in RDX effect which is installed in one and only theater in India. I can't wait.

I am very glad you liked this film.

All the best.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.