• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    ...do we trust Steven's taste and judgement? slant
    Can't we have him bring pretzels or something?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    They live 5 minutes of each other and have never met! shocked

I bring :looza:
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What can I say? The last person I met on the internet was a 14 year old girl who turned out to be a private detective. How cool is that at that age! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    They live 5 minutes of each other and have never met! shocked

We don't really. wink

I bring :looza:

Yuh, er.... rain check on that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    What can I say? The last person I met on the internet was a 14 year old girl who turned out to be a private detective. How cool is that at that age! wink

Ah, you like the mature lady then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Hey! slant I have impeccable taste in women I'll have you know!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    A friend apparently Tweeted Cheryl Cole and got Tweeted back. I'm not sure if I have the heart to tell him it probably wasn't her. If it was, I'm going to cry now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Steven wrote
    But he was a wizard, he could shoot them down with bolts of lightening or something. If he can't do that, then he sucks.

Gimme the pessimistic world of The Matrix any day (even though the two sequels aren't very good).

Absolutely adore the Matrix films, all of them. Never quite understood what people's problem with the sequels were.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Seriously? I quite enjoyed the first film but thought the sequels were horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erm, why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I knew something was wrong with your tastes in women wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    And besides, if Gandalf went himself, the story would have ended after 2 hours, and there is something such as Tolkien's books to follow. tongue

That's exactly Steven's point i am sure wink But it's like asking why Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek and Superman aren't realistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erm, why?

Cut and paste one of the posts you made earlier today in the discussions about CGI! But beyond that - they made no sense - had no characters which I found remotely engaging - featured some truly horrible acting - and yet also featured some of my favourite film music of the decade!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erm, why?

Cut and paste one of the posts you made earlier today in the discussions about CGI! But beyond that - they made no sense - had no characters which I found remotely engaging - featured some truly horrible acting - and yet also featured some of my favourite film music of the decade!

To me it's the original Matrix on a larger scale. A bit more confused yes, but the philosophy (and acting) behind the sequels is a flashier and more expensive Matrix. Not that far away in essence though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Seriously? I quite enjoyed the first film but thought the sequels were horrible.

I enjoyed Reloaded but Revolutions was rubbish. My main complaint about Revolutions was that our main characters seemed more like secondary characters with, for example, Morpheus turning into a Han Solo in Return of the Jedi like character.

Plus, I thought these films were about The Matrix... how much time did we actually spend in the Matrix in Revolutions? Also, the Wachowski brothers completely sucked the fun out of the sequels with their self indulgent, pretentious, full of shit scripts!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh yes, I forgot how pretentious they are. There's nothing worse than a ridiculous film which makes no sense and yet takes itself so absurdly seriously.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erm, why?

You summed it up for me in a nut shell.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday....where's Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Or is that your rest days??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    And besides, if Gandalf went himself, the story would have ended after 2 hours, and there is something such as Tolkien's books to follow. tongue

That's exactly Steven's point i am sure wink But it's like asking why Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek and Superman aren't realistic.

Doesn't have to be realistic to make sense. Gandalf clearly flew to Mordor on a massive flying creature. Why didn't he do that with the ring in the first place!? It's not as though they took the time in the story to explain why he shouldn't or couldn't have done that! Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Star Trek have different plot holes. (Well, JJ Abrams' Star Trek certainly does at least.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erm, why?

You summed it up for me in a nut shell.

Me too. Impressive CGI and music though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Forgot to mention the ones I saw this weekend-

Color of Paradise (Rang-e-Khoda)
    Iranian director Majid Majidi is better known for the Oscar nominated film Children of Heaven. Here he returns to similar territory with yet another moving film with a blind kid as the protagonist. Simple, beautiful and incredibly poignant!

Delicatessen
    Like most other Jean-Pierre Jeunet films this is wicken fun and a little bizarre. An ex-circus performer is the newest tenant in an apartment managed by a butcher, and falls in love with his daughter. But there's something sinister in what the butcher is serving. Each resident has their own quirk which made it very entertaining.
    Karin Viard is as hot as Monica Belluci! OMG!

And last night...

Le Professionnel
    Jean-Paul Belmondo and Ennio Morricone. Fun flick with Belmondo (all style and swagger) as a secret agent who's back with a vengeance after being betrayed by his government. Is this a B-movie? The lighting/cinematography looked like it belonged to day-time TV serials. The Morricone score was as mono-thematic as I've ever heard. I do not recall hearing anything aside from n-variations of the main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Doesn't have to be realistic to make sense. Gandalf clearly flew to Mordor on a massive flying creature. Why didn't he do that with the ring in the first place!? It's not as though they took the time in the story to explain why he shouldn't or couldn't have done that! Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Star Trek have different plot holes. (Well, JJ Abrams' Star Trek certainly does at least.)

You can't actually inject all that logic in sci-fi, imo wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Final Conflict

An exceedingly silly film yet somehow completely watchable. But the score... just how the hell did Goldsmith come up with that? I've waited for years to see what some of those cues accompany. "The Second Coming" accompanies some people watching a 1980 computer show three dots moving towards each other - I couldn't believe it. I was expecting some sort of grand, lavish spectacle of Jesus walking on the earth. The stunning finale just accompanies some text from the bible! I just can't believe he came up with such magnificent music (one of my top ten favourite film scores) for that film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Huh? (Mostly because a) Lord of the Rings isn't sci-fi, and b) it's not just logic... it's common-sense.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote
    Le Professionnel
    Jean-Paul Belmondo and Ennio Morricone. Fun flick with Belmondo (all style and swagger) as a secret agent who's back with a vengeance after being betrayed by his government. Is this a B-movie? The lighting/cinematography looked like it belonged to day-time TV serials. The Morricone score was as mono-thematic as I've ever heard. I do not recall hearing anything aside from n-variations of the main theme.

I haven't seen the movie, but from listening to the album I'd describe it as di-thematic. The le vent le cri theme is indeed repeated alot, but the secondary theme using the BACH motif is very cool and is dominant on the album as well-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKjG2iSgp0I

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Final Conflict

An exceedingly silly film yet somehow completely watchable. But the score... just how the hell did Goldsmith come up with that? I've waited for years to see what some of those cues accompany. "The Second Coming" accompanies some people watching a 1980 computer show three dots moving towards each other - I couldn't believe it. I was expecting some sort of grand, lavish spectacle of Jesus walking on the earth. The stunning finale just accompanies some text from the bible! I just can't believe he came up with such magnificent music (one of my top ten favourite film scores) for that film.

Y'know, because it took a few years for the score to be released ( it seemed like it would never get a release ) I went to see this ( 'watchable' is the right description ) numerous times just to get a fix of THAT score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Huh? (Mostly because a) Lord of the Rings isn't sci-fi, and b) it's not just logic... it's common-sense.)

SCI-FI, yeah, a wrong phrase on my behalf, make it adventures with doses of much unrealism, label it as you want. And what's the difference between logic and common-sense? Don't start with the lingo stuff, what i mean is that you can't actually measure such movies with much logic, common sense and be austere with them in this way; you just let go and let your imagination run.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Le Professionnel

I haven't seen the movie, but from listening to the album I'd describe it as di-thematic. The le vent le cri theme is indeed repeated alot, but the secondary theme using the BACH motif is very cool and is dominant on the album as well-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKjG2iSgp0I

It's true though that the Le Vent, Le Cri theme is predominant.
    In fact when I first had the LP and put it to cassette tape, I *re-inserted* the Bach motif several times to break the endless flow of it, so I can see BhelPuri's point.

Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

biggrin

While Steven is demonstrably right (there is no reason Gwahir couldn't have picked up Frodo then if Gandalf was too sissy, and it had been well established that the giant eagles could kick the tar out of anything Mordor could put up: ain't no beating a proper air force!), you all seem to forget Tolkien's motive to write The Lord Of the Rings.
    The story is not supposed to be centered around common sense, as little as Morte d'Arthur, or the Beowulf.
    It's all about the Grand Themes: the Quest, The Teacher-Pupil Relation, the Fall, the Redemption. Et cetera.

Linking those together is just some pretty looking Elmer Glue.
    Don't think too hard about it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

SCI-FI, yeah, a wrong phrase on my behalf, make it adventures with doses of much unrealism, label it as you want.

But Lord of the Rings isn't sci-fi. It's fantasy. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    AS i said: label it as you want. If you label it "Fantasy", this makes my point even stronger. wink If you accuse such a film for lack of common sense or logic, it's unfair and austere, imo. Same way as someone could judge Star Wars for being unrealistic or showing civilizations and planets that don't exist, for instance.