• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited
    plindboe wrote
    But holy crap, are those asian kids poor actors or what?

Fully agree. Unfortunately.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Incidentally, not being a car buff at all ()never could understand that fascination. To me it's just a vehicle), I only found out in the film that a Gran Torino is a 70s type of Ford car.
    I think it's butt ugly but I guess it means something to Americans. Or car buffs.

It connects someone to his past, to his family, to himself. It connects fathers and sons, or in this case 2 men which have a relationship like father and son. It's an object you love, it carries a large part of yourself and past and which you give to someone you love to carry on.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, I got the metaphoric role in the film.
    I just didn't get why everyone in the film thought it was such a brilliant car! vomit
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, my bad. You're right on the 2nd point. Those American muscle cars are likable only to...Americans i guess wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No. I love American muscle cars. Just not the Ford Gran Torino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're British. The rest of the world counts you as Americans anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Except Britain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Europeans. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Europeans. rolleyes

I agree with that fellow.
  1. plindboe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Angels & Demons

considering the atrocious slow moving pace of The Da Vinci Code, this movie feels like a roller coaster ride.

I much preferred the Da Vinci code. This one was more typical Hollywood action/MTV, without a single breather. I much prefer atmospheric movies that takes their time, instead of people running around all the time. That, and the Da Vinci code had Ian McKellen.

Peter smile

it was indeed a typical thriller / action movie, and I usually like the build up in movies, but The Da Vinci code litteraly stretched it a lot, especially the director's cut (booooooooorring)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009
    Body of Lies

Rather boring. What was it trying to say? Why was I expected to care about anything that happened in it? (And a word to the wise - making DiCaprio have a beard just so he doesn't still look 12 just makes him look like a freakish bearded 12-year-old.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Not Scott's finest hour (or two), I have to admit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009 edited
    Watched last night: AMADEUS (Forman, 1984) *****

I'm just overwhelmed by the costumes, locations, epic photography and, of course, the music. Wow! Hulce as Mozart is wonderful, making an excentric character out of somebody who is, on paper, an arrogant child and later a drunk who just happens to be gifted with a Godly talent. But it is Abraham who brilliantly captures Salieri's envy of Mozart, the disgust and the love of the man and his music.

Why this film succeeds in the first place is because it's not an autobiographical picture but rather a portrait of the destructive power of envy and other very human emotions. The fact that we're dealing with Mozart just give the added benefit of an audiovisual feast.

Alright, and now I need to get his Requiem Mass, if I could just figure out which version best to get... Does anybody happen to know the LSO version? And, since it's a 'live' recording, does that mean you also hear the audience...? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote
    Django (1966)
    Bruno Nicolai takes the Ennio route, and very convincingly so.
    Excellent main theme, several subthemes, dramatic and/or faux-Mexican.
    A mesmerizing listen from start to finish, and one of the finest spaghetti western scores out there (and one of my personal favourites).

I haven't seen too many of the spaghetti western flicks so I might give this a try at least for the music.

Saw over the last few days...

Les Rivieres Pourpres (The Crimson Rivers)
    Hahahaha! Finally a French movie that goes the Hollywood route. It starts quite promisingly with a gruesome murder mystery and with Jean Reno as the detective you'd think that it'll get better. Naah! This one goes completely downhill from there with a ridiculous finale. The director says that he deliberately left things unexplained since he didn't want the movie to be boring. cheesy
    Looks like Bruno Coulais got bored. The score just meanders aimlessly except in one or two scenes.

The Baader-Meinhof Complex
    Entirely about the German guerilla group RAF of which I knew nothing earlier. This was an entertaining thriller and a bit educating too. I had hoped for a longer role for Alexandra Maria Lara but... sad

See No Evil, Hear No Evil
    Great fun with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. One of them is deaf and the other is blind and they're the chief suspects in a murder. It's a bit silly of course but provided enough laughs. And oh boy, Joan Severance is beautiful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009
    L'Homme du Train (Man on the Train)
    Patrice Leconte film with Jean Rochefort. The latter is a retired teacher who offers a stranger place to stay and discovers later that he's in town to rob the bank. The pacing is slow but enjoyable nevertheless. The last few minutes of the score by Pascal Esteve are outstanding.
  2. Triangle

Decent enough movie, fairly unbelievable but at least the details in this movie are followed very closely, and sometimes even downright perfect. Nothing memorable, but fun enough if you enjoy the mystery around a Bermuda triangle sort of deal

6 out of 10

--------------------------------------------------

500 Days of Summer

Lovely surprise, even though I knew it wasn't the typical romantic comedy. Very well acted, very well directed and a couple of great laughs. But what made this movie work was the chemistry between Gordon Levitt and Deschanel. My god is Zoe one cute actress love. And I loved the end wink

7 out of 10

--------------------------------------------------

True Lies

I've seen this movie I think 10 times by now, but it continues to blow me away. I'm betting most will find the middle boring and unnecessary, but for me it gives the main family story a perfect way to develop. And Bill Paxton is hilarious in his role. But of course the action is sublime and only Cameron can do this right. How refreshing it is to see real life stunts and real life action (not all special effects), because it totally enhances the thrill and realism of this movie. Ps, we watched this one on a 50 inch TV and a sound system that totally kicks ass, I think I never enjoyed it any better punk

9 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Triangle

Decent enough movie, fairly unbelievable but at least the details in this movie are followed very closely, and sometimes even downright perfect. Nothing memorable, but fun enough if you enjoy the mystery around a Bermuda triangle sort of deal

6 out of 10

I agree. One of these movies that gets your attention since minute one until the end. Liked the cold, desperate performance of Melissa George.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Triangle

6 out of 10

I agree. One of these movies that gets your attention since minute one until the end. Liked the cold, desperate performance of Melissa George.

she was indeed very good, one time awkward, another downright evil shocked
    it was better than I thought it would be
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Have you seen the previous movie of this director, "Severance"?
  4. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Have you seen the previous movie of this director, "Severance"?

nope, neither have I seen Creep

IS Severance comedic horror, or plain horror?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Comedic horror....until it turns into plain horror smile
  5. Marselus wrote

hmn, will try to see it it's available to rent smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote

Ah, I saw only half of Severance and it was just about getting scary. I'll finish it one of these days.

Saw last night...

For Love Or Money
    I love the Broughton score. It makes for a relaxing listen on weekends and I've always wanted to see the movie someday. Well, after I saw it I'm a little miffed on realizing that it's the original to the Indian ripoffs-- Yes Boss and Guru En Aaalu, both of which I have already seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009
    The Incredibles

This was the first Pixar film which wasn't love-at-first-sight for me and I haven't seen it since (till now) - much preferred it this time. Not too sure what my problem was the first time. I do think (in common with a couple of their other films) that the set-up is better than the real meat of the film but I certainly enjoyed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Incredibles

This was the first Pixar film which wasn't love-at-first-sight for me and I haven't seen it since (till now) - much preferred it this time. Not too sure what my problem was the first time. I do think (in common with a couple of their other films) that the set-up is better than the real meat of the film but I certainly enjoyed it.

Weird. I watched that last night!

Brad Bird's Pixar films are by far my favourite. For me (and I can't emphasis that enough), it's a pretty perfect film. I love the 60s-Bond futuristic styling, the play on the superhero world and above all, the family story which grounds the whole film. So many nuances too in the performances of the characters that only Pixar can do. And the score, along with Ratatouille, is still my favourite Giacchino score. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Incredibles

Weird. I watched that last night!

Brad Bird's Pixar films are by far my favourite. For me (and I can't emphasis that enough), it's a pretty perfect film. I love the 60s-Bond futuristic styling, the play on the superhero world and above all, the family story which grounds the whole film. So many nuances too in the performances of the characters that only Pixar can do. And the score, along with Ratatouille, is still my favourite Giacchino score. I love it.

Pixar's output has generally been perfect, apart some exception, so you're not alone with the above opinion smile The incredibles, especially, is the epitome of COOL in this kind of animated films.
  6. Southall wrote
    The Incredibles

The Incredibles isn't animation for me, it's a movie. The household fight in the begin still sticks in my mind because of the strength of the material, right there it elevated itself about animation to plain realism. And the airplane / rocket sequence gave it emotional suspense I haven't felt much before in computer animation. To me, The Incredibles is one of the top 3 of Pixar
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    Un Secret
    I've seen so many movies with the Holocaust as a plot point and every time it's been engaging. Chalk down another one for Un Secret. So it probably is worth asking... has there ever been a lousy movie about the Holocaust (or using it as a setting)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    I hope not.