• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited
    Her Alibi
    Silly romantic comedy starring Tom Selleck. A lot of it is slapstick but enjoyable still. But oh my! What was Georges Delerue's inspiration for that heavenly love theme? It's amazing how he did such quality work when the film didn't deserve any.

The main title sequence was fun. In keeping with Tom Selleck's character (he's the author of pulp-detective novels) there's an air of intrigue and double-crossing with the music as various book covers float around the screen (the book titles are a howl!). And when Delerue's name shows up in the credits, the music shifts to that rapturous love theme. I had only heard it before on the Varese re-recording and in comparison to the original I now find the re-recording too vigorous. The original is more beautiful (and delicate).

So what's that Varese suite missing? It doesn't have the gentler version (piano, harp and oboe) that shows up during Paulina Porizkova's visit to Tom Selleck's house, or a not-so-heavy-on-strings version during a sexy haircut. There's some fun action music missing too. I reckon there's about enough material for a 25 min score release so it might work better if coupled with another Delerue score. There are a bunch of variations of that love theme but I'll gladly take all of them. The end credits turned out to be a Randy Newman song (Falling In Love) instead of more Delerue sad
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    Un Secret
    I've seen so many movies with the Holocaust as a plot point and every time it's been engaging. Chalk down another one for Un Secret. So it probably is worth asking... has there ever been a lousy movie about the Holocaust (or using it as a setting)?

The Reader, Life is Beautiful, Jacob the Liar, ...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    ...Life is Beautiful...

Bah humbug, Scrooge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Why do you think The Reader is lousy franz? Do you mean that we are forced upon some sort of sympathy with the lady? I've seen it, and didn't really know what to think of it. Okay movie, but a bit meh.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote

No idea about the Jacob movie but for the other two... blasphemy!

I just remembered what the worst (Holocaust) movie might be-- [spoiler]Canone Inverso[/spoiler] dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's about the Holocaust? I always wondered what it was about...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009
    Southall wrote
    That's about the Holocaust? I always wondered what it was about...

It was treated as a key plot to the movie and some of the music reflected that. But not all of the movie.
  2. Bregt wrote
    Why do you think The Reader is lousy franz? Do you mean that we are forced upon some sort of sympathy with the lady? I've seen it, and didn't really know what to think of it. Okay movie, but a bit meh.

THE READER just felt like an arthouse parody to me. Lots of sex, a bit of holocaust, an apparent set of moral dilemmas, and a bunch of English actors feigning German (along with the odd German actor feigning English). I like some of the scenes with Bruno Ganz as a kind of legal Obiwan Kenobi, and Winslet and the boy plays their roles well, but it just felt flat the whole way for me. Primed for awards. And there's about one interesting shot in the whole film. I turned it off five minutes from the end, as I'd had enough.

I would have preferred if the LIVES OF OTHERS team had tackled it.

As for LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, the gallows humour of the last third just rubbed me the wrong way at the time. And Begnini's stand-up approach to comic setpieces. If ever a filmmaker indulged an actor's excesses, Begnini did it here with himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009
    RV: 2012

What a depressing movie... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Bregt wrote

THE READER just felt like an arthouse parody to me. Lots of sex, a bit of holocaust, an apparent set of moral dilemmas, and a bunch of English actors feigning German (along with the odd German actor feigning English). I like some of the scenes with Bruno Ganz as a kind of legal Obiwan Kenobi, and Winslet and the boy plays their roles well, but it just felt flat the whole way for me. Primed for awards. And there's about one interesting shot in the whole film. I turned it off five minutes from the end, as I'd had enough.

I would have preferred if the LIVES OF OTHERS team had tackled it.

Nice comparison there Michael, i too thought of a movie like the brilliant LIFE OF OTHERS in contrast, whilst watching the reader. With the latter it's like the wrong people tried to make this kind of standard glamorous 'arthouse', 'indie' serious Oscar-hunting movie with the big budget and resulted into something which looks and feels like an outsider looking down the genre and not the actual genre itself. Very overrated movie, and the score didn't help it much either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009

I'm dissapointed.

About the movie: Pandora is gorgeous, impressive. Specially the biolomenescence plants. And the CGI characters and incredible, almost like human actors. I'm really impressed with the expressions in the eyes, the smile, the skin...I don't knot how Cameron did that but it's to win the best director award.

Sadly the script is weak, and predictible. It's even weakest than the Titanic one. and 40 minutes into the movie, I started to care less and less about what happened in the screen. there are good things, of course, but now I'm so disapointed that I will talk later about them.

About the music: Like in the Album, the best music is in the 4 first tracks. then Horner is lost in pandora tongue He starts to use this synthetic childish tribal chorus, he use the 4 danger motif 100 times more than in the album and what it's worst, he re-uses a lot stuff in the movie ( Shutting down grace lab is repeated 3 or 4 times, with lisbeth scott lament and the 4 notes includeds)

If anyone ask for the 20 minutes battle, most of the music is "war" copied and pasted several times. Anyway, there are 2 sublime and long action tracks (not in the album) wich combines the adventure melodies from Horner and the agressive orchestrations from Nicholas Dodd. But overall, all seems a little disjointed.
  3. lol

That's not gonna end well for you, Jordi!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Un Secret
    I've seen so many movies with the Holocaust as a plot point and every time it's been engaging. Chalk down another one for Un Secret. So it probably is worth asking... has there ever been a lousy movie about the Holocaust (or using it as a setting)?

I loved all the three you mention here (Even though I wouldn't call The Reader a Holocaust movie. It's much more than that.) But unfortunately for me (since being a Hungarian), the Hungarian Holocaust movie Sorstalansag (Fateless) was bad. The acting was really bad and the movie as a whole just couldn't touch me in any way.
    But, as I stated before, I really would like to see much more movies about the crimes of the communists too. There are so many stories to tell about it and so few movies!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd like to see that too. But I did like Fateless. I thought the way it ended was very interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    It could help that you couldn't notice how lame the actors spoke their lines in Fateless. It sounded as if they read it without any emotions. It really annoyed me - and most of the audience too.
  4. It's the Bressonian approach to acting. It always sounds better if you don't know the language the actors are speaking. (Which is why it probably didn't bother Southall and me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lol

That's not gonna end well for you, Jordi!

I know. And it's beggining tongue

But it's my opinion cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Next to the word 'fanboy' in the dictionary, there is a picture of Jordi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009
    Frost/Nixon

I really enjoyed this, Ron Howard's most entertaining film in a while. I don't know how much of it is really true (that drunken late-night phone call didn't seem at all likely but was presented as a pivotal moment). I thought Frank Langella was excellent - wasn't so sure about Michael Sheen, who still seemed to be playing Tony Blair to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Frost/Nixon

I really enjoyed this, Ron Howard's most entertaining film in a while. I don't know how much of it is really true (that drunken late-night phone call didn't seem at all likely but was presented as a pivotal moment). I thought Frank Langella was excellent - wasn't so sure about Michael Sheen, who still seemed to be playing Tony Blair to me.

What did you think of the score?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Frost/Nixon

Largely anonymous, didn't add anything to the film but didn't take anything away either. I enjoy it on CD though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Frost/Nixon

Largely anonymous, didn't add anything to the film but didn't take anything away either. I enjoy it on CD though.

And wait for Sherlock Holmes (Oh, I know...there is no reason to say that :P)
  5. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Frost/Nixon

I agree with Jon Broxton's review here. Zimmer's score just helps drive the story forward. Of course pieces like Frost Despondent, Final Interview and Nixon Defeated are character pieces, but mostly the score drives the story forward and helps to give the film a more cinematic pace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I agree with Jon Broxton's review here. Zimmer's score just helps drive the story forward. Of course pieces like Frost Despondent, Final Interview and Nixon Defeated are character pieces, but mostly the score drives the story forward and helps to give the film a more cinematic pace.

I dunno really. I thought most of the film didn't really need a score. I don't think anyone else would have done a better job than Zimmer - it just wasn't a music-friendly film.
  6. There wasn't too much of music anyway and Zimmer himself stated that he totally has no idea how to score, because the material is too good in the first place. His Watergate piece works great. Frost Despondent is really good in the movie and Research Montage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

I dunno really. I thought most of the film didn't really need a score. I don't think anyone else would have done a better job than Zimmer - it just wasn't a music-friendly film.

how glad I'm to read that, James!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Brodre (Brothers)
    I hadn't heard of this until news of the US remake. A very good film that draws you in right from the beginning.
    The Soderqvist score is fine indeed but I couldn't help but think of Santaolalla with the opening guitar licks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Life

Just finished watching this excellent BBC nature series. It wasn't as consistently jaw-dropping as Planet Earth (is anything?) but standards were high. My favourite episodes were the one about birds and the last one, about primates.

George Fenton's music also probably wasn't as consistently excellent as Planet Earth - but there were some truly spectacular moments, and with probably half an hour's score in all ten episodes, I'm sure there's a wonderful double-CD available if anyone wants to release it. At its best it's unquestionably the best new film music I've heard this year so I'm astonished - when one sees what does get released, even if as download-only - that it hasn't come out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    RP

Santhosh Subramaniyam - This is one of my all time favorite tamil movie flick. This is really indeed good family drama movie.

Signs - Wow! masterpiece. I like this movie very much. Excellent score and wonderful acting by Mel Gibson and others.

Flubber - Robin Williams delivers again. This is really indeed cool movie.

Gone in 60 Seconds - Wow! this is superb action movie of Nicholas Cage ( he is my favorite actor too).
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.