• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    Oh, there are spectacles in modern cinema, i'll give you that. But not too many of them are actually unforgettable. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I watched Polanski's THE PIANIST on TV tonight.

I'm tempted to say that this is a better film than Schindler's List, what say you?

To my mind Schindler's List is the better film, if only because it allows us an outside view, looking in (Schindler of course is NOT a jew), which hammers down the horror, the hopelessness and guilt so much more. That one line "I could have done more" a broken Schindler sobs at the end -after having saved thousands- is the most devastating testament to a human reaction to the holocaust.

Films like The Piano -heartbreaking and harrowing in their own right- only allow us empathy through the jewish main characters. At that point we are the oppressed and persecuted, which is a role far more easily definable and recognizable than an ambiguous and relatively (!) powerless one like Schindler's.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm tempted to say that this is a better film than Schindler's List, what say you?

To my mind Schindler's List is the better film, if only because it allows us an outside view, looking in (Schindler of course is NOT a jew), which hammers down the horror, the hopelessness and guilt so much more. That one line "I could have done more" a broken Schindler sobs at the end -after having saved thousands- is the most devastating testament to a human reaction to the holocaust.

Films like The Piano -heartbreaking and harrowing in their own right- only allow us empathy through the jewish main characters. At that point we are the oppressed and persecuted, which is a role far more easily definable and recognizable than an ambiguous and relatively (!) powerless one like Schindler's.

Well said Martijn! I completely agree.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

For me the sense of emphasis on those who were rescued in SCHINDLER, and their survival as a culture, feels more optimistic than THE PIANIST, which is a much more existential (and hence for me, bleaker) experience. All this effort to save one man... why him over others?
    I guess also Polanski gives fewer occasions for emotional outlets in the film. Spielberg's is pitched more clearly around a series of emotional outpourings, where music assists the grieving. You have to hold onto it more in PIANIST, from memory.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

^ What he said ^

I wanted to say something, but I'm not quite as good as articulating my thoughts when it comes to films!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Avatar is, it seems, one of those truly rare occasions where the experience is unforgettable. But its contemporary films, modern mainstream cinema if you like, definitely isn't lacking either!

I've been to the cinema fourteen times this year (feck). I think I'd place them in rank by enjoyment and experience something like the below:

Up (first viewing)
    Star Trek
    Terminator Salvation
    Up (second viewing)
    The Hangover
    Public Enemies
    Bruno
    District 9
    The Hurt Locker
    Adventureland
    The Taking Of Pelham 123
    Transformers

So Avatar isn't the winner by a fair way. I think the 3D is just a gimmick but the true grounding for the film is the flawless CGI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

But there's that red girl in Schindler. My heart bled about that, but not in the way intended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    But there's that red girl in Schindler. My heart bled about that, but not in the way intended.

Oh my, you're right. On further consideration, Schindler's List is in fact a piece of Hollywood oversentimentalized, melodramatic schmaltz. My God, they really should have had Disney do an animated version instead. With songs.
    "If I Had A Red Coat"
    "Little Zyklon Shower"
    "I'll Make A Lamp Out Of You"
    "Heil Gunther Matata"

The potential for a properly entertaining film is unlimited.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ( biggrin )

It's an especially poignant moment when you see the little red coat in the pile of clothes in the immolation scene.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote
    I just saw THE PIANIST too on itv1 (I'm in England on vacation). Was the first time I saw this movie. It was rather depressing of course, but very well made and affecting. Gave it an 8 on imdb.

Peter smile

You're not getting away with this one: we want pictures! (Of you too!)

Steven's right! You are NOT getting away with this, we want a report and pics...with some of YOU in them smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I watched Polanski's THE PIANIST on TV tonight, I hadn't seen it since it's release and what a superbly crafted film it is about one mans survival against all odds in the Warsaw ghetto, a harrowing film that pulls no punches.

Film-wise, i'll agree with you. I can't remember many other films that had that emotional impact on me and it's a brilliantly crafted film indeed.

I took a lot more note of Kilar's score this time around which was not easy due to it's subtlety, a perfect score but I suspect probably not a rivetting listen on album ( The CD only contains one track ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The album is fantastic though!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

As I said 'I'm tempted to say it's a better film than Schindler's', for me it felt more personal, you become the observer ( Szpilman ) which is pretty much what you've said Martijn, I thought the film was more realistic than Schindler's which tended to gush into Spielberg's sentimentality towards the end, that whole speech thing felt too staged and Hollywood for me and is the only moment in an otherwise brilliant film where I cringed and felt transported out of the movie, there's not one moment in the Pianist that didn't feel real.

Still, both films are brilliant and if I had my way would be mandatory on school curriculums for a certain age.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The album is fantastic though!

The Pianist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep. (And Schindler's List of course. wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote

Well, that goes without saying ( but you did anyway wink )

I never bothered with The Pianist because it was mostly full of classical pieces I already have, I would certainly pick it up if I saw it cheap though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    ( biggrin )

It's an especially poignant moment when you see the little red coat in the pile of clothes in the immolation scene.

Spoiled the film for me. Couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    ( biggrin )

Why?
  2. Anyone in the UK (or who has access to BBC iPlayer) I'd recommend The Adventure Show: The Skye Trail.

Walker Cameron McNeish travels 70 miles from the Trotternish Ridge and through the iconic Cuillin hills of Skye. Wonderful scenery and a great 1-hour summary of the spectacular island. Made me want to up sticks and move there tomorrow!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    ( biggrin )

Why?

I should have said "spoiled the film a bit for me" since I still thought it was excellent. I just thought that bit was an unnecessary gimmick which detracted from the whole point of the thing. Felt like it was an unnecessary over-enforcement of the point which was made perfectly adequately by the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought that was what you probably meant, I just wanted you to confirm it. Oh, and I agree with you.

I'm still not convinced by Spielberg's decision to film in black & white either, stunning though the cinematography is I feel the reality of the fact this terrible event happened in living colour would have been more appropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Spielberg said he wanted it to feel like an historical document, and since all the footage we have of that time are in black and white, he wanted it to feel like that, to enhance the feeling you're looking at something that actually happened. I can go with that, and it's also a bold artictic move I wholeheartedly support. Plus, it's indeed at times stunning to look at.

It's up there with the bleached look of Saving Private Ryan; the moment I saw the new DVD edition with enhanced, more vivid colours, it lost a bit of the impact.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not all holocaust footage was in black & white, plenty of horrific colour footage exists too. Spielberg said he wanted it to 'feel like an historical document'? Surely that can be left to the real thing? As I said, I'm not convinced by his choice to use black & white, yet another gimmick as far as I'm concerned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    You're not getting away with this one: we want pictures! (Of you too!)

Steven's right! You are NOT getting away with this, we want a report and pics...with some of YOU in them smile

Well, I don't have anything exciting to show, as nearly all my time here has been spent lazing around on the couch. This image pretty much sums up my stay in England (it's me on the left).

Peter spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cool! So who's the guy on the left? biggrin wink
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Wow... just wow. Of course the story's light but that doesn't really matter. I haven't been so impressed by a film's technology since Jurassic Park and this is a film worth watching for that alone.

At last, a voice of logic. The 'meh' and 'mm, nothing special' comments i've seen this week caused me colorful emotions.

for me, it is still the emotional connection you have with the characters that pushes it from great to downright brilliant. I knew this movie was going to blow me away through its visuals, I needed the emotional spark to convince me totally, and it never failed to create that wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, that goes without saying ( but you did anyway wink )

I never bothered with The Pianist because it was mostly full of classical pieces I already have, I would certainly pick it up if I saw it cheap though.

How about checking track #8 from the Pianist soundtrack (Andante spianato in G Major. Tranquillo)? It should perhaps remind you of something.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 … dm_dp_trk8

That's the Cendrillon theme from Dis-Moi Oui... of Sarde. And also the Possession theme from Yared.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    Just saw MISS POTTER. A movie about a children's book author and illustrator, who apparently lived a rather uneventful life. If you want to see a movie about people being ridiculously polite to each other, with a few cartoon animals in the mix, then this is your kinda movie.

Rated it 3 out of 10 on imdb.

Peter smile
  4. MISS POTTER was playing on loop on an international flight I was on once. Somehow over the course of 5 repetitions of the movie, I managed to dip into 20 different scenes where nothing happened.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am