• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I "love" when Cage is in his "I am soooo tired with life" mode, there are so many roles with Cage staying on one face saying "I'm very sad and my life is crap"

Me too! I used to dislike Cage, because all he seemed to do was utter movie trash (Rock, Face off, Con Air) but then I saw others and realized that he's always rather funny and likable, even when he's trying to be serious. My new view of him has turned all his movies into comedies for me.

I recommend The Weather Man. Nicholas Cage is incredibly fed up with life in that one, and bad things keep happening to him.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hellboy 2

Perhaps the silliest film ever made!? Yet bizarrely, hugely entertaining.

Wanted

Also very silly. But I needed some trashy action film to take my mind off other things and it fitted the bill. And there's always Angelina.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Try Bad Lieutenant. Is his "I´m so crazy that I´m funny" mode.

Completely agree, phenomenally good movie. And not accidentally...(look at the director wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

Completely agree, phenomenally good movie. And not accidentally...(look at the director wink )

So it's worth seeing? I thought Herzog had lost his mind remaking this?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

I really liked it. One of the final sequences is priceless:

Terence McDonagh: Shoot him again.
    Deshaun 'Midget' Hackett: What for?
    Terence McDonagh: His soul is still dancing.

Pure cinema.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yes it is. I don´t see it as a remake of Ferrara´s movie but a surrealistic version of it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay then. I've enjoyed ( some being classics ) a lot of Herzog's films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Wanted

Also very silly. But I needed some trashy action film to take my mind off other things and it fitted the bill. And there's always Angelina.

cool

What a score as well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yes it is. I don´t see it as a remake of Ferrara´s movie but a surrealistic version of it.

Of course it's worth it, brilliant film-making!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay okay okay, I'm sold! cool
  1. plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I "love" when Cage is in his "I am soooo tired with life" mode, there are so many roles with Cage staying on one face saying "I'm very sad and my life is crap"

Me too! I used to dislike Cage, because all he seemed to do was utter movie trash (Rock, Face off, Con Air) but then I saw others and realized that he's always rather funny and likable, even when he's trying to be serious. My new view of him has turned all his movies into comedies for me.

I recommend The Weather Man. Nicholas Cage is incredibly fed up with life in that one, and bad things keep happening to him.

Peter biggrin

Don't forget about Cage in Matchstick Men. A subtle yet funny performance.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Haven't seen that one yet. The trailer looks fun, so I might check it out.

Peter smile
  2. Southall wrote
    Hellboy 2

Hellboy 2 is decent, but utter crap compared to the first one, and Elfman's score can't even tip at the Beltrami score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ What he said!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ What he said!

-Erik-

you bet ya beer

By the way, to truly understand and cherish Beltrami's score, you need to skip the Varese one and hear the recording sessions, it has so much brilliant music that's not featured on the original CD. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing when I heard those 2 CD's of the recording sessions shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Hellboy 2

Hellboy 2 is decent, but utter crap compared to the first one, and Elfman's score can't even tip at the Beltrami score

I absolutely love Elfman's score on album, but for some reason it seemed just a bit too campy in the film. I don't think he quite got the right tone in the way that Beltrami did.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Hellboy 2

I absolutely love Elfman's score on album, but for some reason it seemed just a bit too campy in the film. I don't think he quite got the right tone in the way that Beltrami did.

He should have stuck with Beltrami, I didn't buy his excuses then and I don't now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    No Country for Old Men

An excellent film, really, in all respects. Very strong acting. There's not much dialogue, but some of what's there is sizzling. ("It's a mess, ain't it?" / "If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.")

Anyway, when the film first came out, I had no idea what it was about. My wife doesn't like any film with any violence in it. We were at the cinema and saw the poster and I said "oh, those guys made Big Lebowski, it's probably a comedy". She still hasn't forgiven me and proclaims it to be the worst film ever made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Absolutely loved it too, not at first, but after the 2nd watch and much thought.
  4. "You can't stop what's coming. It's not all waiting on you. That's just vanity."

Such a fine fine film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HOME

Stunning and heart wrenching at the same time. Never before have i seen something like it. It's an experience i can only recommend to everyone...maybe it can make you change your everyday habits, at least to the slightest of degrees.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    HOME

Stunning and heart wrenching at the same time. Never before have i seen something like it. It's an experience i can only recommend to everyone...maybe it can make you change your everyday habits, at least to the slightest of degrees.

Very good indeed! Home and Food, Inc are depressing eye-openers on how we're destroying the eco-system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    HOME

Very good indeed! Home and Food, Inc are depressing eye-openers on how we're destroying the eco-system.

Makes you wonder a lot about our everyday lives and habbits...yes, we all bark about how the strong ones, politicians and nations don't do anything to save the upcoming disaster, but what do WE do in personal level, in our everyday norms? If we could all think before we act and change small bits each time, in great numbers it can make a huge difference. It's we, the everyday people who must make the difference first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010 edited
    Creation

I'd heard mixed views about this picture but went to see it last night and was really quite impressed. Although it is partly fictionalised (when I asked Richard Dawkins if he'd seen it, he told me that he liked it but was disappointed with some rather blatant inaccuracies), I enjoyed the film as a piece of drama. It is beautifully shot, incredibly well acted and there are many touching scenes, one in particular when Bettany's convincing Darwin observes 'Jenny' the orangutan at the London museum. Young's score is an absolute delight, one that I'll definitely be purchasing soon.

***1/2
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Mr. Majestyk (1974)

A good old school American action film directed by Richard Fleischer and starring Charles Bronson .
    The film is based on a novel written by Elmore Leonard .
    Bronson is Vincent Majestyk former army ranger who is now running a watermelon ranch .
    He's being squeezed by time because he needs to get his melons picked and to market in a matter of days and a local strong arm guy played by Paul Koslo tries to muscle him into hiring his crew .
    Big mistake for Koslo , but not right then because he has sheriff Frank Maxwell arrest Bronson . While in jail Bronson also runs afoul of big time hit man Al Lettieri and when Lettieri finally escapes he's out to get him .
    But Bronson wouldn't be Bronson - the man settles things the hard way .
    One of my favourite Bronson movies ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010

At last, i saw this movie in 3D. Hmmm.... good but not impressive. I should certainly give credit to visual effects and art department for presenting Pandora planet to us so beautifully. But even now, i don't like this movie. Of course, there are some good moments, especially action sequences are quite breathtaking but that's not enough. It clearly shows that Cameron was completely focused only on to show off his new technology to the whole world. Cameron was so meticulous when he was making Titanic 13 years ago, he concentrated on all departments including music too. But in Avatar, he focused on Visual effects and forgotten about script and characters and score is also not good.

There are few things i noticed which i think that doesn't make any sense at all. First of all, Jake uses wheelchair where he have to push himself move further. Come on, at present, we have lot of advanced wheelchair for many handicapped people. Its look awful when he pushes his own chair, that too, in the year 2154. So, there won't advanced tech wheelchair. lol

And score, what a piece of crap? total running time of movie is 2hrs 40 minutes, in that, 2hrs 10 minutes just nothing, in fact, sleep vomit But Horner really shines in last few minutes of the movie. That's all. All others are just rehash of his entire career. If anybody pinpoints about Jake's first flight, i say Jake first flight is no where near to the Flight of the Griffin from The Spiderwick Chronicles. I can't even now believe that most of the critics around the world rated this score as very high. This really makes me very very angry. Damn! angry angry

Hmmmm... there will be sequels. Damn! i believe i won't show any further interest on Avatar and its sequels. In fact, i don't raise my expectation level so high. If Cameron is going to deliver the same piece of crap, then wave
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010 edited
    Sunil wrote
    Come on, at present, we have lot of advanced wheelchair for many handicapped people. Its look awful when he pushes his own chair, that too, in the year 2154. So, there won't advanced tech wheelchair. lol

Ummm... how many people do you know in wheelchairs? While the electric ones are indeed convenient they are very expensive and cumbersome. I've known a few people in wheelchairs who still have use of their upper body and would rather "push" themselves as a means of exercise than have the chair do it for them. Just because they cant use their feet or legs doesn't mean that all of a sudden don't want to do ANYTHING for themselves.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Erik Woods wrote

Ummm... how many people do you know in wheelchairs? While the electric ones are indeed convenient they are very expensive and cumbersome. I've known a few people in wheelchairs who still have use of their upper body and would rather "push" themselves as a means of exercise than have the chair do it for them. Just because they cant use their feet or legs doesn't mean that all of a sudden don't want to do ANYTHING for themselves.

-Erik-

I can see your point but the fact is Cameron should have given fair explanation through one of his characters and convince the audience that why he is using old type of wheelchair even in the year 2154? whether its for exercise or some other purpose. I don't agree with that kind of assumptions.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    I can see your point but the fact is Cameron should have given fair explanation through one of his characters and convince the audience that why he is using old type of wheelchair even in the year 2154? whether its for exercise or some other purpose. I don't agree with that kind of assumptions.

Dood... people were wearing ordinary suits and smoking cigarettes in the film. Just because the film takes place in the future doesn't mean that it has to look like Hill Valley 2015 in Back To The Future Part II.

-Erik-

PS - Who really cares about the wheelchair anyway that we would need some sort of explanation. It's not that important.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010 edited
    I like when sci-fi's don't go overboard by thinking that everything should be made super advanced. I'm sure 200 years from now we'll still be using the good ole teaspoon, and not fusion powered coffee mugs that stir automatically when they measure varying fluid densities via bursts of gamma rays.

I also liked that the human vessels basically worked like helicopters. In almost all other sci-fi's there's an unexplained hover-technology that has the vessels floating in the air without making a sound. This made it seem much more realistic than most sci-fi's. Of course the ridiculously unrealistic year 2154 is still laughable, but over-estimating scientific progress is something all science fiction movies seem to do.

Peter smile