• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

 
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote

    Agreed!

    I do not understand how Demetris spews so much venom and hate on it with such alarming regularity. It's ok to not like a movie and its score. It's ok to be disappointed that it reaped all the awards. Too bad Desplat did not win. For me, it was crazy to see Santaollalla win back-to-back earlier but I don't care about it now. You just move on. You don't have to change your opinion of the movie/score. But it's a bit much to extrapolate those feelings to bash anything related to the director/composer/genre ad nauseum. I choose to treat D's continued Slumdog-related bashing into thinking that he's just trolling. I can't rationalize this level of hatred otherwise.



    Bp, do you always argue against people who don't share the same views as you do, by calling them trolls? If yes, WOW; just Wow.

    Just because the masses around you probably rave about the film and you seem to be one of them too, or due to the fact that you seemingly same elements of the culture portrayed in the film whilst i don't connect with it, that alone doesn't give you the right to name-call anyone who objects. I said numerous times that i think it's glorified Bollywood, it has all the boy-meets-girl and lots of unnecessary and unrealsitic drama in between until they reach the purpose of being together in the end and kill us with a bunch of cheesy songs and dancing. But admittedly it's shot, directed and acted better than usual Bollywood and it has a couple of scenes that excel.

    That alone however, doesn't make it a better film as far as i am concerned , nor does it elevate it to the levels some of you set it to be. The score's tone is wrong, the instrumentation choices and the arrangements echo not like an original score (and i don't mean classical-sounding score here) but as songs without lyrics, at times abrupt and confused, the emotional contrast he aims to create most of the times comes along as plain weird, and whilst i think he's a great song-writer, i still haven't heard a score by him that will really justify the enormously levels of hype and trendiness around his name.

    Now, you and everybody else are free to love it and like it - of course, but if you're going to name-call me just for not agreeing with your tastes, then this discussion is dead, i am not wasting any more time and energy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Troll.

    wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    I have seen two movies rcently, one of bad was extremely bad:

    Face/Off

    Stupid, overblown, over-acted action movie. I hated every minute of it. John Woo began what Michael Bay and his fellows continued: slow-motions in every 5 minutes, blowing up everything in the scene, stupid dialogues. I could hardly endured this movie.

    The other one was the exact opposite:

    Away We Go

    Sam Mendes' new film was superb. Touching and funny, a very well-acted human story made in a very simple way, just how I like it. Fantastic characters and a refreshing message about relationships (mostly if I consider Mendes' previous movie, Revolutionary Road, which was just the opposite). A truly heartwarming movie, recommended for everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    keky wrote
    I have seen two movies rcently, one of bad was extremely bad:

    Face/Off

    Stupid, overblown, over-acted action movie. I hated every minute of it. John Woo began what Michael Bay and his fellows continued: slow-motions in every 5 minutes, blowing up everything in the scene, stupid dialogues. I could hardly endured this movie.





    What????? Come again???? dizzy shocked
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Troll.

    wink


    I LOVE THAT WORD. kiss biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    keky wrote
    Face/Off

    Stupid, overblown, over-acted action movie. I hated every minute of it. John Woo began what Michael Bay and his fellows continued: slow-motions in every 5 minutes, blowing up everything in the scene, stupid dialogues. I could hardly endured this movie.


    Couldn't agree more. Holy crap that movie stunk.

    Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    keky wrote
    I have seen two movies rcently, one of bad was extremely bad:

    Face/Off

    Stupid, overblown, over-acted action movie. I hated every minute of it. John Woo began what Michael Bay and his fellows continued: slow-motions in every 5 minutes, blowing up everything in the scene, stupid dialogues. I could hardly endured this movie.



    Ah, at last! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    I generally can't stand John Woo movies. I've still yet to figure out why he's so popular? Did he make good movies before he began making the shit ones? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Don't know, i am actually in agreement with you. Ask his fans.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    I generally can't stand John Woo movies. I've still yet to figure out why he's so popular? Did he make good movies before he began making the shit ones? confused

    A Better Tomorrow (1986)
    A Better Tomorrow II (1987)
    The Killer (1989)
    Tragic Heroes (1988)
    Bullet in the Head (1990)
    Hard Boiled (1992)
    Hard Target (1993)
    Peace Hotel (1995) - as producer
    Face Off (1997)
    Red Cliff I (2008)
    Red Cliff II (2009)

    Obviously, his best films are the ones he made in Hong Kong or China.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Sunil wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Troll.

    wink


    I LOVE THAT WORD. kiss biggrin


    You still don't get it, do you?

    -Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Sunil wrote
    keky wrote
    I have seen two movies rcently, one of bad was extremely bad:

    Face/Off

    Stupid, overblown, over-acted action movie. I hated every minute of it. John Woo began what Michael Bay and his fellows continued: slow-motions in every 5 minutes, blowing up everything in the scene, stupid dialogues. I could hardly endured this movie.





    What????? Come again???? dizzy shocked


    My words exactly. Face/Off rocked and in my mind it's fantastic!!!! I love how Woo makes action look cool. And sure it was overacted, but boy was it superbly overacted, Travolta & Cage just pushed all the right buttons and had tremendous fun by playing each other.

    I'm somewhat of a Woo fan. I've only seen The Killer, Hard Boiled and Red Cliff of his Hong Kong movies though, and they're all good.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    I generally can't stand John Woo movies. I've still yet to figure out why he's so popular? Did he make good movies before he began making the shit ones? confused

    A Better Tomorrow (1986)
    A Better Tomorrow II (1987)
    The Killer (1989)
    Tragic Heroes (1988)
    Bullet in the Head (1990)
    Hard Boiled (1992)
    Hard Target (1993)
    Peace Hotel (1995) - as producer
    Face Off (1997)
    Red Cliff I (2008)
    Red Cliff II (2009)

    Obviously, his best films are the ones he made in Hong Kong or China.


    biggrin lol biggrin

    No I'm serious, has he actually made any good films?
  3. Steven, you disappoint me. rolleyes See Hard Boiled or Red Cliff (2 part version) and then we'll talk again.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    No. I refuse to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    I love how Woo makes action look cool.


    Yeah, because action usually looks quite austere and boring in most other films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Steven wrote
    No. I refuse to.

    Haha, your loss my friend smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I love how Woo makes action look cool.


    Yeah, because action usually looks quite austere and boring in most other films.


    Woo action is unlike any other kind of action. His gun fights are like beautifully staged ballet in his best films.

    If anything, Hollywood copied him, not the other way around.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Are his Hong Kong films actually different in style/quality from his Hollywood ones? For reasons I can't fathom I've seen all his Hollywood films and they're all terrible.
  5. Well Red Cliff for one is much more focused on storytelling and character relationship and tells the story during an old period in China of a huge conflict between a tyrant and the oppressed lords that want to defend their lands and people. It doesn't feature guns at all, but it does feature white doves, and the battle sequences are on a par with TLOTR. Maybe less grand than those but equally masterfully staged and shot. I totally recommend the 2-part blu-ray edition, it looks and sounds brilliant.

    It's his most accomplished work IMO and should be worth to look into even if you hated his earlier work.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I love how Woo makes action look cool.


    Yeah, because action usually looks quite austere and boring in most other films.


    Woo action is unlike any other kind of action. His gun fights are like beautifully staged ballet in his best films.

    If anything, Hollywood copied him, not the other way around.


    Putting everything into slow motion doesn't make it a beautifully staged ballet - it just makes it slow motion. I've always felt the action is put into slow motion to try and mask the mediocrity.

    Spielberg. Now there's a man who can do action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Sunil wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Troll.

    wink


    I LOVE THAT WORD. kiss biggrin


    You are truly are a dingleberry of Ben-Hur proportions. Charlton Heston has nothing on you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    I watched ( again ) Steven Soderbergh's excellent film Traffic, a brilliant remake setting the locations in the States and Mexico.

    I still say to those who haven't seen it to check out the Channel 4 films original which is even better, in fact I'm not sure if I've ever seen a better TV series!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I love how Woo makes action look cool.


    Yeah, because action usually looks quite austere and boring in most other films.


    Woo action is unlike any other kind of action. His gun fights are like beautifully staged ballet in his best films.

    If anything, Hollywood copied him, not the other way around.


    Putting everything into slow motion doesn't make it a beautifully staged ballet - it just makes it slow motion. I've always felt the action is put into slow motion to try and mask the mediocrity.

    Spielberg. Now there's a man who can do action.


    Don't agree on the first point.

    Agree on the second point.

    Steven wrote
    Sunil wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Troll.

    wink


    I LOVE THAT WORD. kiss biggrin


    You are truly are a dingleberry of Ben-Hur proportions. Charlton Heston has nothing on you.


    LMAO with this. biggrin

    You can expect a confused from someone very soon...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven, you disappoint me. rolleyes See Hard Boiled or Red Cliff (2 part version) and then we'll talk again.


    Not a Woo fan but i am tempted to see those as i've heard good stuff about them...i am worried if they're yet another variation on Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and stuff like that, though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    I watched ( again ) Steven Soderbergh's excellent film Traffic, a brilliant remake setting the locations in the States and Mexico.

    I still say to those who haven't seen it to check out the Channel 4 films original which is even better, in fact I'm not sure if I've ever seen a better TV series!?


    Oh that was such a great film indeed, it was one of those films that have made me admire his work although i admit that during the last 2- 3 years i haven't followed his work yet...has he done anything remarkable?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven, you disappoint me. rolleyes See Hard Boiled or Red Cliff (2 part version) and then we'll talk again.


    Not a Woo fan but i am tempted to see those as i've heard good stuff about them...i am worried if they're yet another variation on Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and stuff like that, though.


    They're not! Martials arts are kept to a minimum. It's all about the battles and strategies used. And the characters of course.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    It doesn't feature guns at all, but it does feature white doves, and the battle sequences are on a par with TLOTR.


    Oh-oh....it IS another House of Flying Daggers / Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - like film then, eh?

    [edit]

    I just saw your reply above smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I watched ( again ) Steven Soderbergh's excellent film Traffic, a brilliant remake setting the locations in the States and Mexico.

    I still say to those who haven't seen it to check out the Channel 4 films original which is even better, in fact I'm not sure if I've ever seen a better TV series!?


    Oh that was such a great film indeed, it was one of those films that have made me admire his work although i admit that during the last 2- 3 years i haven't followed his work yet...has he done anything remarkable?


    D, I beg you to watch the original TV series....truly TRULY sublime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It doesn't feature guns at all, but it does feature white doves, and the battle sequences are on a par with TLOTR.


    Oh-oh....it IS another House of Flying Daggers / Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - like film then, eh?

    [edit]

    I just saw your reply above smile


    I don't recall Crouching Tiger featuring white doves? confused

    [edit]

    I just saw your edited reply, in which you say that you read my reply. tongue

    [edit]

    Editing just for the sake of editing. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.