• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Aliens is a true continuation of Alien's setup but less scary, yet at the same time more exciting and action-packed, featuring another set of interesting characters.

You're in for a great time, take it from me, its biggest fan.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Aliens is a true continuation of Alien's setup but less scary, yet at the same time more exciting and action-packed, featuring another set of interesting characters.

You're in for a great time, take it from me, its biggest fan.

Less scary? I was more terrified by Aliens than Alien.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Maybe you were, but the first has the whole ambience of a terrifying film from the get-go, whereas with the sequel it's basically an action film with some frights, but also lighter moments to balance it out.

But maybe it's because I've watched the sequel twice as much as the first film in my lifetime, Aliens isn't just as scary anymore, as it's the action that provide the biggest thrills.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    From the moment the troops land on the planet to after Ripley's Rescue is, IMO, just as terrifying as anything from he first film. And it still holds up today. The sound of the motion detector creeps me out to this day as does Horner's brilliant score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was only 17 when I saw ALIEN at the cinema, at the time it was touted as the most terrifying movie ever, needless to say I came out of the cinema very disappointed and I thought the film was pants though we didn't use the word pants to describe crap back then wink, something must have clicked though because I went back to the cinema multiple times and ended up thinking ( as I do to this very day ) that it was one of the greatest horror/sci-fi films ever made, a groundbreaking masterpiece whose influence is now almost incalculable.

I agree with Erik on ALIENS, it has more scary bits.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I agree with you, Erik. People often seem to say that Alien is a horror movie, and Aliens is an action movie, but I've always found Aliens to be at least as scary as Alien, if not scarier. The atmosphere is just done so well, and any time that motion detector starts beeping, I find it very disturbing, even though I've seen it at least 10 times and know exactly what's going to happen.

Peter shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Any talk of ALIENS should contain 'spoilers', remember that Bregje hasn't seen it yet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Interesting to see people rate ALIENS higher on the scare-o-meter. I don't remember how I reacted the first time I saw the film which was a couple years after 1986, if I was terrified or not, but I do remember the action sequences and the score (my god the score) leaving me breathless and thinking that was the awesomest thing I had ever watched or heard. That's when that crazy hobby of mine started. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012 edited
    What I do remember from my first viewing of Alien, was my dad warning me when the shocking bit came on the telly, he asked me to keep my hands before my eyes the whole time. I may have peeked a little, just enough to imprint that scene in my brain... freezing biggrin
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    I'm a pretty bad judge of scary in movies...I love horror movies, but I haven't found any of them to be scary since I was 10. That said, I always felt the tension in Aliens (of which there is a ton) does have more in common with action movie tension than horror movie tension. That said, it's definitely fair to say that it's as scary as the first, just in a different style.

The third could have been a good film, but sadly missed the boat. I'm in the extreme minority of those who love the fourth. But what I loved most about the Alien series is how stylistically different they all ended up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm in the same boat as Josh - it never even occurred to me to be scared by Aliens. Certainly lots of tension in it, though. Alien would probably have scared me had I watched it when I was more susceptible to such things.
  4. JoshL wrote
    I'm a pretty bad judge of scary in movies...I love horror movies, but I haven't found any of them to be scary since I was 10. That said, I always felt the tension in Aliens (of which there is a ton) does have more in common with action movie tension than horror movie tension. That said, it's definitely fair to say that it's as scary as the first, just in a different style.

The third could have been a good film, but sadly missed the boat. I'm in the extreme minority of those who love the fourth. But what I loved most about the Alien series is how stylistically different they all ended up!

I like the third and fourth film too, Fincher's entry basically because it's so dark, moody and ends in such spiralling down fashion I can't help but admire this film for doing just that. It's exactly how Ripley's journey should have ended.

The fourth for the visual look overall (Jeunet's doing) and some rather intense action packed moments, and the whole 'new Ripley' feeling of her character.
  5. Reading the above comment makes it completely illogical to state that the way Alien 3 ended was perfect for me, followed by the fact that there's a sequel and that I like that one too. dizzy

I just had no problem with how the screenwriters handled Alien Resurrection...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2012
    This sums up my feeling towards Alien Resurrection perfectly!

-Erik-
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Interesting to see people rate ALIENS higher on the scare-o-meter. I don't remember how I reacted the first time I saw the film which was a couple years after 1986, if I was terrified or not, but I do remember the action sequences and the score (my god the score) leaving me breathless and thinking that was the awesomest thing I had ever watched or heard. That's when that crazy hobby of mine started. cool

I always remembered the scene in Aliens with the first attack, those 5 minutes scared the hell out of me, and still do, I agree that Aliens remains the scarier one until this day
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2012 edited
    I want to address a few points that have been raised in the last few days:

* PROMETHEUS is a marvelous film, a near-masterpiece (although not entirely flawless)! This was cemented further after my second viewing recently.

* ALIEN is arguably the most important movie in my life. It made me a film buff for a variety of reasons. I've seen it more than 20 times, and it continues to give. The same goes for ALIENS (which I've seen a similar amount of times), and also -- to a degree -- ALIEN 3. ALIEN 4 I've come to appreciate more and more over the years, after approaching it more as a traditional sci fi horror sprinkled with Jeunet trademarks rather than as an ALIEN installment proper. The A vs. P spin-offs are entertaining horror films (esp. the first, which actually has some qualities), but watered out the last scary remnants of the poor xenomorph.

* THE EXPENDABLES almost made my Top 20 list of that year. Great fun, totally unpretentious, succeeding in everything it set out for. Can't wait for the sequel!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012
    Alien I thought was always more like a haunted house movie.
    And I love the effect from The Thing From Another World, where you don't get to see the monster, but its presence and approach is measured by a sonar/radar/geiger counter clicking/beeping faster and louder.... Scariest concept I have ever seen!

That said, while I indeed think Alien overall is the scarier of the two, the " they're inside the room" scene from Aliens haunts my nightmares for ever.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    That said, while I indeed think Alien overall is the scarier of the two, the " they're inside the room" scene from Aliens haunts my nightmares for ever.

beer punk
  7. The scariest thing in all the films for me is Ian Holm's big scene about three-quarters of the way through ALIEN. There's something about the automated look of eradication in his eyes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Thor wrote
    * THE EXPENDABLES almost made my Top 20 list of that year. Great fun, totally unpretentious, succeeding in everything it set out for. Can't wait for the sequel!

I approve of this post.

Martijn wrote
    And I love the effect from The Thing From Another World, where you don't get to see the monster, but its presence and approach is measured by a sonar/radar/geiger counter clicking/beeping faster and louder.... Scariest concept I have ever seen!

yeah

I'm all for 'The less you see, the more you feel'.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    This sums up my feeling towards Alien Resurrection perfectly!

-Erik-

lol

It doesn't change how I feel about it however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

It is that, but it is also so much more -- a piece of art that communicates some pretty hefty ideas (Freudian/psychoanalytical) through pure audiovisuals. It was probably the first film that made me realize that film is -- or can be -- so much more than just storytelling.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012 edited
    The design and look of Alien still amazes me to this day. No state of the art CGI could replicate the painstaking detail that went into the production design. There's something indescribably terrifying when we set foot in the alien vessel, that would've been 'uhm... okay' if it was done today with modern effects.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gilles said:- I'm all for 'The less you see, the more you feel'.

For a great/bad example of this just watch Robert Wise's original THE HAUNTING and compare it with the woeful remake starring Catherine Zeta Jones, even Jerry Goldsmith's score doesn't come anywhere near to matching Humphrey Searle's* gobsmacking score for the original.

*A score I would love to have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2012
    The Amazing Spider-Man

This is a film that doesn't seem to be necessary, but I really enjoyed it. Much more focused on character than Raimi's first one, and requiring less suspension of disbelief. The action is refreshing (the viewer is always given time to know what's going on). Cast is excellent. It's let down by a couple of clunky plot devices when it needs to move the narrative from A to B but doesn't really know how, but there's a lot more good than bad in it. Love or hate the score, you certainly notice it - it must be the most favourable sound mix James Horner has ever had - in most of the key "heroic" sequences you hear the score and little else. I think he really got inside this film in a way others haven't managed on similar films - the music isn't just a commentary on what is there on screen, it makes an effort to delve a bit deeper, and I always admire that. I heard someone come out of the cinema whistling the main theme which made me feel a little warm inside. Overall, I suspect a lot of people will go into the film not really seeing the point of it, but come out having had a good time.
  10. Southall wrote
    The Amazing Spider-Man

This is a film that doesn't seem to be necessary, but I really enjoyed it. Much more focused on character than Raimi's first one, and requiring less suspension of disbelief. The action is refreshing (the viewer is always given time to know what's going on). Cast is excellent. It's let down by a couple of clunky plot devices when it needs to move the narrative from A to B but doesn't really know how, but there's a lot more good than bad in it. Love or hate the score, you certainly notice it - it must be the most favourable sound mix James Horner has ever had - in most of the key "heroic" sequences you hear the score and little else. I think he really got inside this film in a way others haven't managed on similar films - the music isn't just a commentary on what is there on screen, it makes an effort to delve a bit deeper, and I always admire that. I heard someone come out of the cinema whistling the main theme which made me feel a little warm inside. Overall, I suspect a lot of people will go into the film not really seeing the point of it, but come out having had a good time.

I'll definitely rent it once it comes out on blu-ray, but I'm not craving to see it in the cinema (I can actually wait for this one). I did hear the stronger character development from other people too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    want
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It became the first film since Looney Tunes: Back in Action that I went to see at the cinema purely because of the composer. I think I got a rather better deal out of this one. Now I think of it, I endured some dark days at the cinema thanks to Jerry Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012
    I enjoyed reading the talk about Alien and Aliens. Still have to see Aliens though... we watched some other movies first.

The Hulk
    The Incredible Hulk

Well, Edward Norton was better than I thought for this movie.
    And I haven't made my mind up yet about Ang Lee's Hulk... it was a bit dark.

Nacho Libre - Cute movie. Love the colours. Funny and heartwarming.

And this week, hopefully this afternoon, we will go see The Amazing Spiderman. So thanks for your post as well Southall! I read some more good things about the movie.