• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    but what am I saying, still have to start with Supernatural season 3 punk

What do you think of the show so far?

I love it, I really do. The main story so far is very good (I love those villains) and the off track episodes are sometimes so scary and funny (the clown episode is so terrifying), I love the chemistry between the 2 leads and the plots are always different than what you expect smile

so far, both seasons get an 8 out of 10
    sadly I've read that the last seasons aren't that good (6 and 7?), I know 8 will be the last?

still, I'm thinking of buying them all smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    (Mickey Rourke's speech, which was probably the best scene in the film

I'm with ya there.
    I really liked one reviewer exclaiming "what's actual acting doing in a film like this?" smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I love it, I really do. The main story so far is very good (I love those villains) and the off track episodes are sometimes so scary and funny (the clown episode is so terrifying), I love the chemistry between the 2 leads and the plots are always different than what you expect smile

Glad you are enjoying it so far smile

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    sadly I've read that the last seasons aren't that good (6 and 7?), I know 8 will be the last?

still, I'm thinking of buying them all smile

Well, after 6-7 years, I think it is normal. Keep in mind that Eric Kripke left the show after season five, which was the running time of the show he had planned since the beginning (a veteran from the series, Sera Gamble, took over from Kripke as showrunner though).

Still, six and seven are really good seasons. The chemistry between the main characters is still there, and you can definitely see a (very) dramatic progression regarding the relationship between the two brothers. Besides, some new characters that you are gonna love *cough* Castiel *cough*, and new and interesting arc stories wink Wouldn't hesitate buying all the seasons.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    Castiel is fantastic. There's also something happening to Bobby in the last couple of seasons that is quite interesting.

I don't think it's QUITE there yet compared to the highlights of seasons 3-6, but it's still one of my favourite shows on the air, which says something. Waiting for the next season to be made!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    Castiel is fantastic.

SHHHHH!!

Thor wrote

Waiting for the next season to be made!

Same here!
  2. ok, I'm sold, I'm gonna buy them all (season 7 is already available), by then 8 will be done smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Thor wrote
    I think the appeal of THE EXPENDABLES movies relies solely on if you connect to the Hollywood action cinema of the 80s, and the idea behind Stallone's "project". I certainly do, which is why I love both films. But I can understand why others won't.

But, when you look at it. How many of these classic action movies are actually good, well-made movies and how much does the nostalgia take over? The biggest stars of the 1980s action cinema couldn't and still *can't* act. I think Dolph Lundgren and Chuck Norris are more wooden than my garden table. Rambo II has a major emotional scene simply badly choreographed, shot and edited (the ambush on Rambo and his girlfriend). I made a point avoiding movies like Cobra on TV. I saw Commando a few years ago and it was total crap, including bad acting from a great guy like Dan Hedaya (Blood Simple, anyone?!)

I've had a huge fight about this thing on a Polish forum I attend (and one I am an admin at biggrin ) They say that those movies have passion and emotions nothing today has. But, I would dare to say, Ed Wood also had a lot of passion and... not a lot of craft, to say the least. What holds up together for today? The first Rambo movie, The Lethal Weapon series (unless I forgot that part two isn't from the 1980s, then I apologize, only part one than), Die Hard, a handful of Schwarzenegger movies, Aliens (which is more action than pure horror, I can't even tell whether I prefer the Ridley Scott movie or the Cameron movie, because you can't "prefer" when you have to make a choice between two movies that basically share only a character, the villain, the actress, the title and... a cat), maybe The Terminator (will amend that pretty soon, in fact, almost did it today, but it got too late), Conan the Barbarian? Music is great obviously, cinematography is great, the story is quite decent, but when I tried watching it a few years ago, I had to go to the toilet somewhere in the middle and... didn't feel like going back.

What is good and what does nostalgia influence, really?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. I think you're making the mistake of assuming that Thor likes it because it's good. I went through a similar cognitive dissonance, followed by denial, anger and finally, resigned peace.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. A 12 step recovery program? wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think you're making the mistake of assuming that Thor likes it because it's good. I went through a similar cognitive dissonance, followed by denial, anger and finally, resigned peace.

You are a legend! applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. 'Cognitive dissonance'.

I had never come across this phrase until a week ago. And now I have heard it being used! Luckily, the first person who used the phrase - comedian Bill Bailey of all people - also gave a clear definition.

So I can nod knowingly in agreement. punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    I think you're making the mistake of assuming that Thor likes it because it's good. I went through a similar cognitive dissonance, followed by denial, anger and finally, resigned peace.

I went through aggressive attacks on the Polish website forum (I am a reviewer and a forum admin for a Polish film music website), because I stated I hate those movies. So I want to know what's the appeal of something so badly acted *and* made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hate is not a good feeling for you to have my friend. You seem to do a lot of hating (composers, movies etc) lately and if my opinion counts at all, as one who went through this at previous times too, don't do it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote

I went through aggressive attacks on the Polish website forum (I am a reviewer and a forum admin for a Polish film music website), because I stated I hate those movies. So I want to know what's the appeal of something so badly acted *and* made.

Didn't Thor make that clear in his post? confused

I think the appeal of THE EXPENDABLES movies relies solely on if you connect to the Hollywood action cinema of the 80s, and the idea behind Stallone's "project"

It IS nostalgia.
    Like with blacksplotation movies, 50s/60s Z-grade horror film, et cetera.
    It's not good, it's fun.

Well, it's supposed to be anyway.

I solely enjoyed the idea behind assembling that ensemble in The Expendables.
    Didn't like anything else about the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Loved both the idea and the execution, both films. Especially the 2nd with Chuck Norris, the whole cinema was laughing their asses off when he went on-screen and threw the one-liners and the self-joke biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    I think the appeal of THE EXPENDABLES movies relies solely on if you connect to the Hollywood action cinema of the 80s, and the idea behind Stallone's "project". I certainly do, which is why I love both films. But I can understand why others won't.

But, when you look at it. How many of these classic action movies are actually good, well-made movies and how much does the nostalgia take over?

Some of them were really good, intelligent top class action movies (TERMINATORs, DIE HARD), others not so much. In both cases, nostalgia plays a part, though -- tapping into a particular aesthetic that helped shape the young cultural minds of kids and teens in the 80's. So on one level, the EXPENDABLES films are an ode to that. But I think Stallone's project moves beyond that too. In some way -- conscious or unconscious -- they seem to be a kind of cinematic protest against the intellectualization of the genre films in recent years (the new BATMANs or any kind of reboot, really). The films are VERY self-conscious, which is their saving grace.

It's a celebration of the ol' action stars and also a project that dwells in its lack of pretension. That's why I feel they're so refreshing and why they keep making my Top 10 or Top 20 lists, just before or after a film like NADER AND SIMIN or DOGTOOTH or whathaveyou (more established arthouse fare).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Loved both the idea and the execution, both films.

Same here, loved both of them. You just don't see this kind of action films nowadays. Never. Let's face it, most of the action movies released today are so light (*cough* for pussies *cough*) on its execution and level of violence that make those old, bad movies of the eighties look like master pieces: they were harsh, tough, cold,... and not directed in the edit room and with loads of fake CGI effects.

Demetris wrote
    Especially the 2nd with Chuck Norris, the whole cinema was laughing their asses off when he went on-screen and threw the one-liners and the self-joke :biggrin

The whole cinema applauded when Norris appeared on screen. Actually, you could hear people whispering, wondering WHEN would he appear on screen. And it was worth the long wait. Actually, I think that Norris, with his stone face, has more charisma than most of the action stars of the present.

And yes, his self-joke is priceless.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

One operative word..... FUN!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Marselus wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Loved both the idea and the execution, both films.

Same here, loved both of them. You just don't see this kind of action films nowadays. Never. Let's face it, most of the action movies released today are so light (*cough* for pussies *cough*) on its execution and level of violence that make those old, bad movies of the eighties look like master pieces: they were harsh, tough, cold,... and not directed in the edit room and with loads of fake CGI effects.

Demetris wrote
    Especially the 2nd with Chuck Norris, the whole cinema was laughing their asses off when he went on-screen and threw the one-liners and the self-joke :biggrin

The whole cinema applauded when Norris appeared on screen. Actually, you could hear people whispering, wondering WHEN would he appear on screen. And it was worth the long wait. Actually, I think that Norris, with his stone face, has more charisma than most of the action stars of the present.

And yes, his self-joke is priceless.

But all the blood AND explosions in the first one are very *fake* CGI. Sometimes it's all too obvious for that.

I remember watching Commando, for example and wishing for Schwarzenegger's daughter to be killed off, because the girl acted so badly, I didn't want to see her on screen any more.

I don't really care about a heavily intellectual story for a movie, I care for a movie to have a strong story, which with very notable exceptions Thor actually included in his previous post, is practically non-existent in the classic movies. I also like my movies, no matter the genre, to be well-acted, you guys are talking about charisma, to me a guy who can't deliver a line well (Norris, Lundgren, Dudikoff if I remember well) basically make me totally quit any suspension of disbelief or whatever should be included in watching something like Commando, has no charisma. If it's badly-acted, I won't get into the story, because nothing will convince me. And no, even if a character is basically supposed to single-handedly (word?) bring revolution to a fictitious Latin America country, I still need to be convinced by why and what he's doing.

Another thing is that those cult classics and, to be honest, in general the action filmmaking (even of the highest order) in the 1980s has basically ignored the cinematic development of my favourite period in cinema history which are the 1970s. No intelligently used hand-held camera work like Owen Roizman or John Alonso in the 70s basically created. I don't really have a feeling of "being there", so important to my experience of watching movies. Using completely different genres to make you see what I mean, I like to be thrown into the world of the film like Ridley Scott (OK, Black Rain would count) or Michael Mann did with his Heat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You realise you are philosophising about the eighties equivalent of Jet Attack or Robot Monster, right?

I mean: feel free, by all means, but talking about "immersed, "cinematic development" or intelligently" in this context just makes me giggle a bit. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    SAUCE CODE ( 2011 )

Jake Gylenhaal or however you spell him plays a bloke who invents a code that makes tasty sauce, Steven Elfman gets hold of it and pours it all over his Crispy Bacon.

Rubbish!

2/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think the only place he showed that he can actually act ( Gylenhaal ) was Donnie Darko i think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I quite enjoyed it! It was a wee bit contrived, and ultimately full of plot holes (so he basically took someone else's body to live out the rest of his life? Also, can he shave that beard, or is it just a projection? That's gotta itch).

I also enjoy the score. The fact that Crispy Bacon has worked for JNH shows through in his music, the main theme could almost be for a Shyamalan movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    I think the only place he showed that he can actually act ( Gylenhaal ) was Donnie Darko i think.

I liked him in Jarhead and Zodiac.
  9. I enjoy a movie only if I am fully into it, really, that's why the immersion is so relevant to it.

Also, about the first Expendables movie, the villain was very weak. Eric Roberts' acting was good, but the character was really weak.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I quite enjoyed it! It was a wee bit contrived, and ultimately full of plot holes (so he basically took someone else's body to live out the rest of his life? Also, can he shave that beard, or is it just a projection? That's gotta itch).

I also enjoy the score. The fact that Crispy Bacon has worked for JNH shows through in his music, the main theme could almost be for a Shyamalan movie.

Yes, I thought the score was pretty good.

Anyone seen THE CABIN IN THE WOODS? I watched that recently and fookin' loved it!
  10. Steven wrote

Feels like the simpler ending -- truer to the concept -- ending with the kiss -- was the original plan and someone at script development said: 'Hey, I've got a really cool idea...'
  11. Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Amen.

And, excuse me everyone, bloody BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is a great performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (I've not seen Brokeback.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Amen.

And, excuse me everyone, bloody BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is a great performance.

I forgot about that and I totally agree with you.