• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    flash DON'T BELIEVE THEM MARTIJN, AVOID AT ALL COST. flash

WRONG!

biggrin

Maybe you should see it Martijn, just so you can agree with me. devil

YES!!

Wait. What?
    I LIKED Javier!
    The Hawks version is BEYOND COMPARE!
    Wait.
    What?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    More port mahap dear chap? wine
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Demetris wrote
    Well, Marcel did enclose the whole Bond Saga , to Steven's defence smile

But I meant I meant in the 200 million dollars budget era!

Damn it, you can't spend 200 million dollars and make the film look like a TV movie crazy crazy crazy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote

Wait. What?
    I LIKED Javier!
    The Hawks version is BEYOND COMPARE!
    Wait.
    What?

applause
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012 edited
    Direct to DVD has nothing to do with technology in his argument rather then Skyfall feeling like a cheaply produced film that nowadays would have gone direct to DVD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    God, I just returned from two depressing films at a film industry seminar I'm attending. One was Ulrich Seidl's GLAUBE (the second of this PARADISE trilogy), the second was Thomas Vinterberg's JAGTEN. Didn't like either, although they had some redeeming features. GLAUBE reads more like a dark comedy.

Tomorrow is more mainstream, as Zemeckis' FLIGHT and LO IMPOSSIBLE are on the menu.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor, how do you generally stand against Thomas Vinterberg's work?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Thor, how do you generally stand against Thomas Vinterberg's work?

With a shield an axe and a war cry I should think.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think FESTEN is somewhat of a masterpiece, but that is so unique in his oeuvre. He has never come close to that before or since. I think JAGTEN just shows his limitations as a filmmaker. It's very 'strained' in everything from social descriptions to dialogue (even though the scenarios of discomfort are powerful, as they always are...and Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant as the villager wrongfully accused of pedophilia).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Do you find similarities with Von Trier?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    That's the first negative comment I've seen on Jagten. I personally thought it a strong and credible description of what happens in a community when someone gets wrongfully accused of peadophilia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Do you find similarities with Von Trier?

In the beginning, maybe. Now I'm not sure. Von Trier is on a whole other visionary level.

BobdH wrote
    That's the first negative comment I've seen on Jagten. I personally thought it a strong and credible description of what happens in a community when someone gets wrongfully accused of peadophilia.

I didn't feel that. I felt it was too forced and strained in its effort to heighten the intrigue. The dialogue was written just vague enough to let the others interpret it in the worst possible way. Also, some of the social gatherings in the community was exaggerated and clichéed.

It was bit like reading a Fay Weldon story -- I get more provoked by her exaggerated rhetorical style than I get to identify and sympathize with her feminist ideas. So it becomes too self-aware and falls back on itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012 edited
    Hmm. I have to say I can't comment too much on the dialogue, since I had no idea what they were saying and had to rely completely on the subtitles so I experienced it less consciously than with an English or Dutch film, but there was a talkshow topic on Dutch television a few days before I saw the film with a teacher who had experienced the same thing who said the film was very much how such things happen. It's difficult with a subject like this to get the right balance between unbelievable-that-such-things-happen / not credible, but I thought especially the closed minded women of those gatherings and their quick acceptation of their truth to be rather convincing and I'd think it would go like that in real life as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    BobdH wrote
    Hmm. I have to say I can't comment too much on the dialogue, since I had no idea what they were saying and had to rely completely on the subtitles so I experienced it less consciously than with an English or Dutch film, but there was a talkshow topic on Dutch television a few days before I saw the film with a teacher who had experienced the same thing who said the film was very much how such things happen. It's difficult with a subject like this to get the right balance between unbelievable-that-such-things-happen / not credible, but I thought especially the closed minded women of those gatherings and their quick acceptation of their truth to be rather convincing and I'd think it would go like that in real life as well.

The chain of events might be realistic, but the execution/dialogue/dialogue patterns weren't IMO, and that took me out of it.

I know what they were trying to do -- the whole H.C. Andersen idea about one feather turning into five hen and also how the village community works as one collective (explored in many other films) -- but I didn't buy it.

The film really needed ONE character who made sense, whose reaction was straightforward and realistic and that we could identify with. The bearded friend of Mikkelsen was that to a certain extent, but he's introduced as a supporter much too late. We should have seen some of the events through his eyes in the hero's transition period.

I also think it should have ended earlier, perhaps when Klara's father and Mads are sitting in the sofa, or when Mads lifts Klara over the tiles. The final hunt sequence just felt too literal (we get it already -- he's never supposed to feel safe and it plays upon the double entendre of the film's title!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Does his use any music in it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

Yes, a little bit. It's not a Dogme film like FESTEN. But very sparse and restrained.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just saw LO IMPOSSIBLE and Zemeckis' FLIGHT today. The first was a really powerful movie about the 2006 tsunami. Top perfomances, top class melodrama, esp. with the separation/reunion thematic. I got almost teary-eyed on numerous occasions, which is a rarity for me.

FLIGHT had a fabulous first act, but plummeted from there (if you'll excuse the pun) -- it basically becomes a film about addiction issues. But it's so great to have Zemeckis back in live action. That's where he belongs.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    I just saw LO IMPOSSIBLE...I got almost teary-eyed on numerous occasions, which is a rarity for me.

Heightened emotions enhanced by Fernando Velázquez's score?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    I just saw LO IMPOSSIBLE...I got almost teary-eyed on numerous occasions, which is a rarity for me.

Exactly, no word on the brilliant Velasquez score, Thor?

Also how did the Silvestri score worked in Flight? 'Cause it was very passable on cd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yes, a little bit. It's not a Dogme film like FESTEN. But very sparse and restrained.

There's a guitar theme in the first act and end credits. IMHO, not very noteworthy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Exactly, no word on the brilliant Velasquez score, Thor?

Also how did the Silvestri score worked in Flight? 'Cause it was very passable on cd.

I thought Silvestri's score was interesting, actually. He definitely went into some new territory here, especially the soft rock guitar thingie. It's great to hear him veer away from all the big and brainless action films he's been doing over the last 10 years.

Velasquez' score for LO IMPOSSIBLE was very lovely. Sparse for the most part, but with definite 'oomph' in the emotional sequences. Style-wise, it reminded me of Johan Söderqvist.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was just talking to my friend, also named Tim and he said he's not sure if he could sit through Lo Impossible, some people here will remember how concerned I was for him back in 2004 knowing that he was on a Thai beach, since then he says he can never relax on a beach ever again, not even something as safe as a UK beach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Style-wise, it reminded me of Johan Söderqvist.

+ Moriconne smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I didn't get much Morricone from the score, except maybe vaguely in the melancholic reunion theme. Perhaps it's easier to catch on album.

Just seen the new TOTAL RECALL, the extended version. I actually like it. Love how it sticks close to the Philipp K. Dick universe in production design, as it could basically take place in the same universe as BLADE RUNNER.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I have seen "Starship Troopers Invasion" recently. I liked the visuals, though they were reminicent of "Battlestar Galactica" sometimes. But wait: BG was reminicent of the original "Starship Troopers", that was reminicent of "Space: Above and Beyond" that was a ripp off of Heinlein's novel "Starship Tropers". dizzy

Anyway, the story sadly isn't better than any everage episode of "Clone Wars". Why are there so few sience fiction films with a solid story to tell? Do they put all the money into the visuals so that they cannot afford proper writers?

Tetsuya Takahashi composed the score. I liked the way he worked with Basil Poldouris original material. That reminded me, how much I would welcome an expanded release of that score.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    I have seen "Starship Troopers Invasion" recently. I liked the visuals, though they were reminicent of "Battlestar Galactica" sometimes. But wait: BG was reminicent of the original "Starship Troopers", that was reminicent of "Space: Above and Beyond" that was a ripp off of Heinlein's novel "Starship Tropers". dizzy

Anyway, the story sadly isn't better than any everage episode of "Clone Wars". Why aren't there so few sience fiction films with a solid story to tell? Do they put all the money into the visuals so that they cannot afford proper writers?

Tetsuya Takahashi composed the score. I liked the way he worked with Basil Poldouris original material. That reminded me, how much I would welcome an expanded release of that score.

I'm interested to see it, so thanks for the reminder

ps, Starship Troopers the isolated score does indeed unravel a masterful score, deserving a complete edition as quickly as possible
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. In today's environment, anything is possible - maybe even probable - when it comes to expanded releases!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012
    I think it's very likely that we'll see an expanded STARSHIP TROOPERS eventually. I have a b**t of the complete and there's some great material not on the Varese release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    Just watched all the Transformers movies. I'm sure there's something wrong with me, as I really enjoy them. Strange, as I dislike everything else Michael Bay has made. I think the humour is great, the casting is excellent, the scoring is fantastic and the effects, sounds and designs of the transformers are hella cool. I'm probably also the only person on this planet besides Shia LaBeouf's mom who actually likes him.

Transformers 1: 8 out of 10
    Transformers 2: 7
    Transformers 3: 8

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    I enjoyed the first film. The first 10 minutes or so of the second film was awesome... and then it all went down hill after that. I loathe LeBeouf, Michael Bay used to make movies I really enjoyed, and I can't say I will ever spin Jablonsky's scores ever again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!