• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2013
    biggrin

Assuming that we're not talking about Kevin Bacon, I guess I can't be a traitor either then.

Peter pig
  1. Anyone seen Cockneys vs Zombies?

I've been listening to Jody Jenkins' score for this and watching YouTube videos related to the film. And from these clips, it looks like it could be a good laugh.

I particularly like Richard Briers - as featured in this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze_lur1FR6o
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Haha, a movie with that title can only be epic. Here's a longer trailer.

Anyway, surprising that it came out in august, as the list of Oscar nominations has been released and I don't recall seeing this movie in there. shocked

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2013 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Haha, a movie with that title can only be epic. Here's a longer trailer.

Anyway, surprising that it came out in august, as the list of Oscar nominations has been released and I don't recall seeing this movie in there. shocked

Peter smile

And here's the entire film! Ssshhh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7OxYr-NoSo
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Fantastic! I mean fantastic, sshhh....

Peter smile
  2. A surprisingly entertaining video showing just how bad "A Christmas Story 2" is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRzZu_oO6Bo
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2013 edited
    The genre of musicals as films often feels awkward to me at first, since the absence of first hand interaction between stage performance and live music prevents the pieces from "living and breathing" as one would expect them to do in their natural theatrical environment. Nonetheless, LES MISERABLES was a terrific experience tonight, with Anne Hathaway's amazing rendition of "I dreamed a dream" standing out as a quintessential and absolutely classic moment. The orchestral arrangements suffer from an artistic dryness and an overly pretentious pompousness. But, allowing myself to forgive the flaws of the grammar of the genre, I ended up thoroughly enjoying some first class performances (Hathaway and Hugh Jackman) and my reaquintance with Victor Hugo's timeless tale. The tale is perhaps best experienced in its natural condition, as a novel, but it is a story that lends itself well to music however inferior this music may be in comparison to Hugo's thoroughly gripping, thoroughly moving, heart-wrenching tale that tells the story of human suffering as poetically and effective as any poet ever did - and this is thankfully percievable in the film. However, the cinematography seemed dull to me, in spite of its efforts to dazzle with epic details of grandeur. Still, a terrific experience overall since I was ultimately able to put my bias aside!

By the way, Russel Crowe's inconvincing opening recitativo in Les Miserables wasn't very charming! But he delivered decently in his aria later in the film, although it would probably have been better to cast a more expressive, more experienced baryton for the lyrical grandness of the song.
  3. So I thought I'd check out "Mr. Nice", a film I knew nothing about other than Philip Glass scored it and the score wasn't released. Somebody uploaded the whole thing illegally to Youtube, so I clicked on it to hear Glass' score.

What a fucking awful film. This was moral junk at some of its worst. It was so bad I couldn't stand watching more than ten second or so at a time and pretty much skimmed most of the film.

What little score I heard was uncohesive, different styles, and no theme I recognized.

This film goes in the trashbin of film history.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013
    DJANGO UNCHAINED
    Usually, Tarantino's movies are a joy to see in cinemas and this one is again, but it's not in the league of Inglorious Bastards for example. Against a background of another shameful chapter in history, it certainly creates a few disgusting moments. "niggers" is thrown around the whole time, especially by Samuel L. Jackson. But the star is again Christoph Waltz as Dr Schultz. It's the small scenes he shines at.

The movies got lots of smiles on my face, but it is too long. The last 20 minutes were not very interesting, and Tarantino's cameo was weird and distracting. It's a 100% Tarantino movie, nothing surprising or new.

Then of course the music. Not always appropriate (hip hop music!) and his use of over-the-top music is getting rather predictable. I recognized a few selections from Two Mules ... and some other famous spaghetti westerns. The new Morricone piece was absolutely lovely and was quite touching in the movie.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013
    I just saw Django unchained as well. I think it's almost up there with Inglorious basterds. Basterds was based entirely on conversations between two parties, where one of the parties had something essential to hide, with lifes on the line, and the other party always close to prying this secret out. This theme also played a big part in this movie. The theme, combined with the always entertaining dialogue, the great acting and the unpredictability makes it absolutely gripping.

Django also had a lot more humour. Samuel L. Jackson was just hilarious, every line he delivered was a work of art. It's also such a weird movie, because the subject matter is so incredibly dark, and the violence deeply disturbing, yet the movie had several genuinely funny moments.

I also love Tarantino's continued use of spaghetti western music. I knew all but one of the film music pieces he used in the movie, which only made it more special. I like that these brilliant pieces, that has been pretty much forgotten, is given this well-deserved rise to fame. And of course Morricone composed a great, and rather unique song for the movie.

I've rated it 8 on imdb, but perhaps after a second viewing it will jump to 9.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013
    The Impossible

Slightly overlong and sentimental for my liking, despite the crushing realism. The tsunami sequence, however, is one of the most impressive set pieces I've seen in a long while - absolutely terrifying. No Roland Emmerich-style money shots - just total eye-level and heart-wrenching carnage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote
    Django also had a lot more humour. Samuel L. Jackson was just hilarious, every line he delivered was a work of art. It's also such a weird movie, because the subject matter is so incredibly dark, and the violence deeply disturbing, yet the movie had several genuinely funny moments.

Yeah, that's true. Lots of black humour too.

[spoiler]It all plummeted following the shooting after monsieur Candie was shot down.[/spoiler] But it had to happen otherwise the movie was no finished. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013 edited
    DJANGO UNCHAINED was one of the films I saw at the Tromsø Film Festival. I enjoyed it -- it's impossible to dislike Tarantino's fantastic setpieces & references! -- but was overall a bit disappointed nonetheless. It was a bit too eclectic and fragmented for its own good and a far cry from the superb INGLORIOUS BASTERDS.

The Tarantino cameo (as an Aussie, no less!) was just embarassing -- his costumes, his mannerisms, his accent -- it was almost as if he just decided to step in front of the camera during the shoot!

My favourite film music moment was the appearance of Goldsmith's "Nicaragua" cue from UNDER FIRE as the party arrives at Candyland. Also liked Bacalov's "Django theme", the Morricone pieces and the rap song for when Django sees his girlfriend by the wayside (it was a bit 'forced' during the shootout, however).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. 1985 short film "But I'm Happy", by actor Michael Keaton.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cylfyewBSA

Loved the line, "Okay, Mr. Mom"
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    End of Watch

A really wonderful film about two cops as close as brothers. If you hate shaky cam, stay away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013
    Just saw the very last and very touching final episode of FRINGE! And to have a future OSLO, NORWAY play a small part in it was a wonderful bonus (that's not really a spoiler, btw). Oh well...sad and fullfilled all at the same time.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Watched a disturbing realistic depiction of the aftermath of a nuclear attack on Britain:
    youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg

Less than a handful of music pieces, probably all tracked in, otherwise no original score.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom

Occasionally charming but mostly distancing and too quirky for its own good. Use of music is fantastic (although the Britten makes a bigger impression than the short Desplat score).
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2013
    Beasts of the Southern Kingdom

This is one of those films that packs more of a wallop after the fact. It started out a little slow but continued to build until the last few scenes were an incredible release of energy and emotion. The music is also solid, especially the last cue (leading into the end credits) which is among the best scored scenes of the year.
  6. Josh B wrote

This is one of those films that packs more of a wallop after the fact. It started out a little slow but continued to build until the last few scenes were an incredible release of energy and emotion. The music is also solid, especially the last cue (leading into the end credits) which is among the best scored scenes of the year.

absolutely, stunningly acted as well by the young Quvenzhané Wallis. And that final cue is indeed amazing, such a power it has in the film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You mean BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, right?

I liked the film, but somehow it didn't connect with me emotionally as much as it has for other people I've spoken with.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    DJANGO UNCHAINED
    Usually, Tarantino's movies are a joy to see in cinemas and this one is again, but it's not in the league of Inglorious Bastards for example. Against a background of another shameful chapter in history, it certainly creates a few disgusting moments. "niggers" is thrown around the whole time, especially by Samuel L. Jackson. But the star is again Christoph Waltz as Dr Schultz. It's the small scenes he shines at.

The movies got lots of smiles on my face, but it is too long. The last 20 minutes were not very interesting, and Tarantino's cameo was weird and distracting. It's a 100% Tarantino movie, nothing surprising or new.

Then of course the music. Not always appropriate (hip hop music!) and his use of over-the-top music is getting rather predictable. I recognized a few selections from Two Mules ... and some other famous spaghetti westerns. The new Morricone piece was absolutely lovely and was quite touching in the movie.

The hip hop was hideous and laughable, even non film music fans were laughing at the cinema. The movie is brilliant.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Josh B wrote

Funny, i too confused this movie with Moonrise Kingdom over the time and i've done it more than a couple of times wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2013 edited
    Demetris wrote
    The hip hop was hideous and laughable, even non film music fans were laughing at the cinema. The movie is brilliant.

I wasn't laughing. I thought Tarantino's musical selections... all of them... were inspired. He, along with Scorsese, are the best at creating "needle-drop scores."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Thor wrote
    You mean BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, right?

I liked the film, but somehow it didn't connect with me emotionally as much as it has for other people I've spoken with.

Yeah. I wrote that at 5 AM so my brain wasn't quite getting to my fingers. wink I didn't think it would get to me and for a while, it wasn't but somehow, it came together. I can see it being a polarizing film, though.
  7. justin boggan wrote
    Watched a disturbing realistic depiction of the aftermath of a nuclear attack on Britain:
    youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg

Less than a handful of music pieces, probably all tracked in, otherwise no original score.

"Threats" is one of those films that really frightened the living daylights out of me when I saw it. I found it far more disturbing than "The Day After".

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

I wasn't laughing. I thought Tarantino's musical selections... all of them... were inspired. He, along with Scorsese, are the best at creating "needle-drop scores."

-Erik-

It happened where i was..i found all the music in Django spot-on, the rapping was completely out of place imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

It happened where i was..i found all the music in Django spot-on, the rapping was completely out of place imo.

If your beef is with rap in general as part of a western film, I would have to disagree with you. It just adds to the eclectic Tarantino experience that we've become accustomed to. I especially loved the use when he sees his girlfriend by the trees. A perfect setpiece. However, I think the use over the shoot-out was a bit odd, tone-wise. Not because it was a rap song per se, but because of the TONE of the rap song in question. Something about the pace of the scene and the pace of the song.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Life of Pi

Hrm. I was very happy (and moved) with this movie until the last ten minutes, which ends on an anticlimax and blatantly violates "show, don't tell." Disappointing but it doesn't ruin the rest of what I saw. The movie is visually gorgeous and it deserves to take the Oscar home in that department.

Danna's score is very good. Unsurprisingly, the highlights on soundtrack are the best scenes in the movie as well. There's other scores last year that I prefer but of the five nominated, this one undoubtedly deserves the award.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

Why? How was the use of rap any different then the use of Goldsmith's "Nicaragua" from Under Fire? You know a film score that was written for a film that takes place in Nicaragua!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!