• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1973

I found this more funny than scary really. Well, I'm no fan of splatter anyway.

No music here, just a bit of percussion and sound effects.

So that gap in education has been closed.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    Atham wrote
    Quite right Sarah. And man, what a theme!!! cool

Going to listen to that now.
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013
    Dexter.
    Season 8.
    Starts soon.
    Can't wait.

That is all.

Peter spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    plindboe wrote
    Dexter.
    Season 8.
    Starts soon.
    Can't wait.

That is all.

Peter spin

bounce bounce bounce punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Exactly!

Peter biggrin
  2. Has "Dexter" lost any steam seven seasons in?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2013
    It did after season 4, but picked up again in the last season.
  3. World War Z

Enjoyed it. The begin is rather chaotic, lots of fast editing and shaky camera work. But it gets visually a lot smoother once we see the big trailer pieces unfold in the middle of the film. The build up is also pleasing, showing a great combination of small (but effective) character development and heavy action. The end is even downright nail bitting tension. All in all a blockbuster that lives up to its name, meaning deliver it big and enjoyable.

The music (what I picked up at least) I liked as well. The end speaks for itself, but I didn't notice the action all that well. I'm sure the CD will offer a lot of surprises once I get down to it.

All in all, good and enjoyable stuff

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013
    Jurassic Park

Aw Man. what a fantastic film! and apart from occasional use of techology 'interractive CD-rom", it really hasn't aged. and the music, i fail to see how anyone can't fal in love with that music. For me, it was my childhood! smile smile smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sarah wrote
    Jurassic Park

Aw Man. what a fantastic film! and apart from occasional use of techology 'interractive CD-rom", it really hasn't aged. and the music, i fail to see how anyone can't fal in love with that music. For me, it was my childhood! smile smile smile

For me, probably my alltime favourite film (in competition with ALIEN). And definitely my favourite score. And while I was 16 when it came out, it's definitely part of my childhood/teenage years too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some of the CGI looks a bit "blancmange-ified" now in retrospect but the combination of CGI and animatronics at that time was a winning one and should still be employed now instead of this terminal over-reliance on ruddy CGI.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think the CG still stands up relatively well. The first time we see the T-Rex still looks brilliant! But you know what's nice? It has a PROPER FUCKING SCORE with PROPER FUCKING THEMES (PLURAL). Jesus fuck.
  4. It does, partly because also they took the effect deficiencies of the time into account when they were preparing it, so basically they did the perfect effects movie for the time and gave it enough heart and, simply, damn good storytelling to make it work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. The first episode of Crusade, 1999 - the Babylon 5 spin-off.

I saw a couple of episodes years ago and didn't like it very much. I saw it dirctley after Babylon 5 and it just did not live up to it. Today I got the box from the shelf, blew away the dust and put the first disc in. I believe as a stand alone experiance it's much better. I will whatch the whole season this time.

Did anyone ever listen to the Evan H. Chen score on CD? It sure does not sound like Christopher Franke.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, I heard it on CD....it's quite unlistenable (in contrast go Franke's work, which I always really thought was an excellent mix between themes, ambience, electronics and orchestra).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What Martijn said.

Then again, it's been years since I listened to it (and dismissed it). I'm curious how it would hold up now with my newfound love for ambient textures.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I want to believe that Chen´s scoring would have improved a lot over the planned 5-season run, much like Franke´s did. Sadly, it never came to be. But it is not an easy score, certainly not.
  7. Just saw the second episode of Crusade. It's kind of a western episode. That made me think how all these sifi series have their western episode: Star Trek TOS, BSG original, Crusade, not to speak of Firefly.

Thanks for the response concerning the score CD!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    I think the CG still stands up relatively well. The first time we see the T-Rex still looks brilliant! But you know what's nice? It has a PROPER FUCKING SCORE with PROPER FUCKING THEMES (PLURAL). Jesus fuck.

It does stand up very well and I think this may have been the last time I was truly blown away by a film. The first T-Rex attack in the dark and rain is near flawless, just brilliant, but later scenes ( plus the Brachiosaurus ) have a "gloopy" blancmange-ish oil colours-like look to them that dates it.

Agree on the score ( how could I not cool ) but the 2nd score is even better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Timmer wrote

... but the 2nd score is even better.

Nope.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nope.

To ME it IS! I enjoy it much more.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nope.

To ME it IS! I enjoy it much more.

OK smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013 edited
    I kinda thought it was obvious but I think many of us have a habit of saying "better" and what we really mean is 'favourite'.
  10. Timmer wrote
    I kinda thought it was obvious but I think many of us have a habit of saying "better" and what we really mean is 'favourite'.

I was just teasing. hug
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Agree on the score ( how could I not cool ) but the 2nd score is even better.

As good as the first score's non-main theme bits are, they do venture into somewhat generic John Williams action/suspense music (which is awesome in itself, but compared to some of Williams' more inspired action cues doesn't stand up so well).

I suppose the first score wins by a technicality simply because it introduced the main theme, which is no doubt the greatest thing from all of the scores. But the second one is a much better 'dino' score, with a brilliant new main theme and MUCH better action music (which works brilliantly along side the original theme rather than a replacement fot it).

IT NEEDS TO HAVE AN EXPANDED RELEASE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In fact, the main theme is one of the greatest things from all scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just saw WORLD WAR Z in 3D. Pretty good film, but the first half is far better than the second.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Timmer wrote
    but the 2nd score is even better.

shocked shocked I am not alone!!! punk punk beer