• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009 edited
    NP: 101 Dalmatians (1996 live action) - Michael Kamen

This is a great score filled with lush orchestra and lots of charm!
    The grand opening cue was my favorite since I saw the movie as a kid.
    I love how "pup pup pup pup puppy!" song (?) was reflected in the score. biggrin
    Themes are new, but I hear some influences from George Bruns' score on the original animated film.

And what a romantic love theme for a couple with many spots! dogdog
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    WP: Rescue Dawn - Klaus Badelt

Lovely, lovely score, and totally fitting for the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Roar! Michael Giacchino

I'm in a Giacchino mood today. What appeals to me about Giacchino's music amongst many things is the unpretentious nature of it. And this is probably exactly what turns some people off about his music; a lack of gushing emotion perhaps? He's very much the antithesis of, say, Horner in that respect. I'm not entirely sure what my point is, but his music is definitely fitting my mood at the moment.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry

I wanted something sumptuous, broad and expansive and this is it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    NP: A.I. Artificial Intelligence (promo) - John Williams

I've Always like This Score. While has some hints of His Post Minority Report efforts It's mostly like Williams early 90's.There's Almost 2 hours of Music and I' ve just in the middle of it cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Home Alone 2 Deluxe Edition (John Williams)

Absolutely delightful christmas score... I was playing the 'Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas' theme in my head for days so naturally I started listening. Even better than the first Home Alone, because the existing themes get to shine a whole lot more this time and the new themes are equally wonderful. Compared to the first, the action material is much more Hook-inspired, not surprising because it was written a year later. The orchestral versions of the carols are the icing on the cake for an already splendid album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. LSH wrote
    NP: Avatar - James Horner

My second complete listen but my first with a clear head. shame

... and I'm loving it!

cool

my first listen NP: AVATAR

and I already loved it in the film wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TIME MACHINE - Russell Garcia

Gloriously romantic and 'old fashioned' and Filby's Theme is one of the most heartmeltingly touching melodies ever written.

Brilliant! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE TIME MACHINE - Russell Garcia

Gloriously romantic and 'old fashioned' and Filby's Theme is one of the most heartmeltingly touching melodies ever written.

Brilliant! cool

It's a beautiful piece! Could almost belong in a religious movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I...I just listened to the song from Avatar.
    Good lord.

Actually, even though it's very cheesy, I would quite like this were it sung by the lovely Hayley Westenra. love She's got a FAR better voice that Leona fucking Lewis. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Something tells me you favor Missy Westenra more because of other graces that have nothing to do with voice actually... wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    She could break my heart any day. Srsly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I figured. As i've seen her photos (i didn't know who she, or Leona Lewis was anyway, mind you, are they pop idol material or something?) i instantly recognized how she is your type, in contrast to Lewis wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lewis is extremely attractive, but I don't like her voice or her personality. You're right though, Westenra is definitely my type! (And the beautiful voice just sends me to mush.... and that doesn't happen very easily with me!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't know who she is...the other chick, Lewis, is from pop idol, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Something like that, yeah. Westenra has a more classically taught background I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And a better rack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    :high-five:
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't know who she is...the other chick, Lewis, is from pop idol, right?

X Factor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Good lord.

Actually, even though it's very cheesy, I would quite like this were it sung by the lovely Hayley Westenra. love She's got a FAR better voice that Leona fucking Lewis. slant

Sorry, but that's nonsense! I don't care much for Leona Lewis ( definite charisma bypass ) but there's no doubt her voice is fantastic. Better by FAR? No, just different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited
    JP: AVATAR - James Horner
    What remains stuck in my head right after listening to this score, is not the I See You main theme (probably because, this time, I skipped the song) but the 4-note horn motif (no, not the danger one) introduced in the final act.

For me, Avatar's strongest parts are in the details, like the powerful first introduction of Lisbeth Scott's vocals and the violin solo backed up by the choir in the tense moment between the big choral parts, since it's the big moments where you realize how unoriginal it all is and Horner's weird inability to create a completely new theme.

However, having said that, Avatar is still that rare thing nowadays; a score that has lighter fantasy moments, big adventurous action parts, sweeping romance and a never too long 80 min. running time that keeps my interest up untill the final moments (right before the song). And for that, it's a great holiday treat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    Sorry, but that's nonsense! I don't care much for Leona Lewis ( definite charisma bypass ) but there's no doubt her voice is fantastic. Better by FAR? No, just different.

Well, I prefer Hayley over Leona any day too. Sure, Leona's got a perfectly sounding, strong voice, yet (as with any Idols pop singer) it's completely lacking of personality, making it a characterless voice that sure enough hits all the right tones at the right moments. It's basically the minimum a singer should be capable of - yet she doesn't have that extra quality that makes you remember her. Hayley did have it, which makes her also in my book far better smile (but I'm sure it also helped that she got an orchestra backing her up and background vocals by birds).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    BobdH wrote
    JP: AVATAR - James Horner
    What remains stuck in my head right after listening to this score, is not the I See You main theme (probably because, this time, I skipped the song) but the 4-note horn motif (no, not the danger one) introduced in the final act.

For me, Avatar's strongest parts are in the details, like the powerful first introduction of Lisbeth Scott's vocals and the violin solo backed up by the choir in the tense moment between the big choral parts, since it's the big moments where you realize how unoriginal it all is and Horner's weird inability to create a completely new theme.

However, having said that, Avatar is still that rare thing nowadays; a score that has lighter fantasy moments, big adventurous action parts, sweeping romance and a never too long 80 min. running time that keeps my interest up untill the final moments (right before the song). And for that, it's a great holiday treat.

I agree with you.

For me the first 5 tracks are mind Blowing and they are what makes this album worth to listen. Even if Horner uses some cheesy synth and his Apocalypto tricks, the music is perfect for the magic scenes in Pandora. And what is best, in those tracks the "i see you" theme is well devoloped. And I want more from this violin played a couple of cues in the final act!

After this 5 tracks, it becomes from annoying ( "climbing..." , "jake first flight") to bad constructed ("Quaritch", "destruction of the hometree") until the 2 poweful and fucking cool 2 last cues.

But How you said this score is worth because it has epic, adventure, romance....

I want the 15 minutes of action music from the final battle wich are not realeased! (and if someday they are, you will see how obvious Nicholas Dodd orchestrations are).

NP: Troy (Horner)

IMHO the most enjoyable of all the epic scores for movies post Gladiator. the myrmidons theme is addictive as hell, and the love theme one of this romantic pieces that only Horner can compose. Even the 4 notes danger motif is dynamic enough. And it even has some fanfarres! (ok, copy and paste from some classic composer...but who cares!)

Gladiator is an unfortunate mix of things, Yared's troy is too Big and over the top (Even if it has his moments), Jones Cleopatra a little bit repetitive....
  2. Yeah, Gladiator as a post-Gladiator score and especially Cleopatra...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, Gladiator as a post-Gladiator score and especially Cleopatra...

Well, you know what I mean.

I don't know wich is the name for this kind of Movies. In spanish is Peplum. In other words, I think Horner's Troy is the best music for this kind of movies since Anthony and Cleopatra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Good lord.

They all sound Celine Dion wanna-be's to me, to tell you the truth. They're technically perfect, but they lack character and something that would differentiate them from the masses and make them stick in your memory. Some of them sound like the John Debney of pop singing.
  3. Godzilla (David Arnold)

So much for subtlety... bring on big brassy badass bombast !!! The last truly brilliant score by Arnold for me. So glad I've gotten this 2CD album which sounds utterly fantastic. The mix of big action and lighter scoring (such as the uplifting hero theme) is a very welcome one. Just about the right length to get all out of it that the score holds. Now if only I could see such a treatment for Independence Day I'd be insanely happy.

OH AND IN CASE SOMEONE'S WONDERING I'M PLAYING THIS LOUD AND ENJOYING THE HELL OUT OF IT !!!!!!!!

punk punk punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a friggin' fantastic score, all right! It's not like we get stuff like this all the time, and it's a hugely enjoyable score indeed! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Utterly mad, over the top brilliance. I wish Arnold kept writing like this. cry