• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010 edited
    I've been in scary or spooky music mood over the last few nights and tonight is no different...

NP : HELLBOUND : HELLRAISER II - Christopher Young

Apocalyptic awesome magnificence! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    I can't see it topping The Wolfman. cool

Both are excellent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Alice In Wonderland - Danny Elfman

Very good. It's just as good as it sounded in the clips - it's got the haunting choirs from Edward Scissorhands but not so sweetish; there are deep, dark orchestral textures accompanying and successfully create a mysterious and intriguing experience. The album listening experience feels very coherent - the excellent and very catchy Alice theme pops up in the right places, and the action music is fantastic. Most of the short tracks continue into each other, and the sound quality is excellent. I'd give the score 4 stars, lovely stuff. I'm eager to watch the movie and see how the score plays there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Enemy Mine - Jarre

This was the first CD I ever bought (along with Ben-Hur) but I sadly sold it many years ago.
    I've always regretted that until I bought it second hand for just $10 in a shop in New Zealand the other day!
    Great stuff here. So rich with many themes.

Next I think I'll play Goldsmith's The Blue Max. This one I had to pay a bit more for via e-bay.

By the way, New Zealand was awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote

Very good. It's just as good as it sounded in the clips - it's got the haunting choirs from Edward Scissorhands but not so sweetish; there are deep, dark orchestral textures accompanying and successfully create a mysterious and intriguing experience. The album listening experience feels very coherent - the excellent and very catchy Alice theme pops up in the right places, and the action music is fantastic. Most of the short tracks continue into each other, and the sound quality is excellent. I'd give the score 4 stars, lovely stuff. I'm eager to watch the movie and see how the score plays there.

Definitely, Elfman is not my composer. To me, his use of choir in movies like Alice in Wonderland is like having a bath in a pool full of sugar (or saccharine if you prefer). Oh, and I think the main theme isn´t played enough times. A 100th reprise would have been nice.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote

This was the first CD I ever bought (along with Ben-Hur) but I sadly sold it many years ago.
    I've always regretted that until I bought it second hand for just $10 in a shop in New Zealand the other day!

Next I think I'll play Goldsmith's The Blue Max. This one I had to pay a bit more for via e-bay.

I know! And I wanna see pics Randall cool

p.s. Enemy Mine for $10 NZ.... cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Marselus wrote
    Definitely, Elfman is not my composer. To me, his use of choir in movies like Alice in Wonderland is like having a bath in a pool full of sugar (or saccharine if you prefer). Oh, and I think the main theme isn´t played enough times. A 100th reprise would have been nice.

Fair enough. But personally I love his use of choir for that precise reason - it's filled with a charming quality to evoke that fairytale-ish feeling which kinda immerses me in the film's world for the time. And I love the experience. cool Though I think his choir here is darker than CATCF or Edward Scissorhands.

About the Alice theme reprise, I think those numerous reprises are there for a good reason and with enough variation. For example, the first reprise has mostly a solo voice singing to evoke a feeling of loneliness, the second one is slightly more upbeat as Alice familiarises with the characters in Wonderland (I'm just judging from the tracklist; I haven't seen the movie after all), the third has a feeling of mystery and eeriness because of the surrounding Chesire Cat and Red Queen tracks, the fourth has a feeling of decisiveness because of the upcoming battle tracks, and of course the final one serves as a Finale. Listening the third time now and the score's really growing on me! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Definitely, Elfman is not my composer

No. it's Burton composer tongue

I agree with you Marselus. You know that. it's more, I never had an "Elfman mood". never.

My great problem with elfman ,leaving aside his tiresome style, is in the action music. It's not melodic enough and all his action stuff sounds exactly the same.

Being said that, Elfman reduced his fireworks and his tricks a lot in his recent scores. So now it's easiest to me listen his allbums. Charlie and the Chocolate factory (wich is my favourite album), Wanted, Terminator Salvation, The Wolfman and Alice are more "nice" to listen than scores like "batman" or " Nightmare.."

NP:Alice in Wonderland (Elfman)

Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice....ooooooooooooooooooooooh.......Aliiiiiiiiiiiice!

and that's it. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The atonal strings in CHarlie Loses HIs Head seem live, but Zimmer admits that the first time he really had his way with orchestra was Bird on a Wire.

Is "having his way with the orchestra" supposed to mean something positive? 'Cause bird on a wire was absolutely hideous.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Dante's Inferno (Garry Schyman)

The score to a game about the depths of hell should be horrific right? Well it is, but I'm really getting tired of 'music' such as this. There's nothing to hold my interest. In the beginning I thought this would have something in common with the obvious comparison which is Goldsmith's The Omen, but that was soon laid to rest, because at least Jerry came up with memorable themes. Sorry but this is, once again, not for me. sad

I'm going to listen to Cinema Symphony now to quickly forget about this one.

love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love ilove it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Haven't heard it yet...does it bear similarities with Edward Crappyhands?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I've been in scary or spooky music mood over the last few nights and tonight is no different...

NP : HELLBOUND : HELLRAISER II - Christopher Young

Apocalyptic awesome magnificence! punk

The epitome of modern scary / creepy thriller / horror music, Mr.Young is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    christopher wrote
    Balto - James Horner

Just finishing those fantastic finale cues...and skipping the song.

I love the song too tongue wink

Panthera wrote
    NP: Homeword Bound 1 and Homeword Bound 2 - Bruce Broughton

The main theme is one of my favorite themes ever written! Before I ever liked film music, I knew this music was special.

It was special for me too. beer I remember I tried to play the theme on piano after watching it.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

beer Yup. $10.00 NZ. I noticed it's U.S. $115.00 on e-bay atm too!

I'll put a pic up from NZ soon. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Percy Jackson & The Olympians - The Lightning Thief - Christophe Beck

I really liked this on first listen, but the more I hear it it just reminds me of John Powell's X-Men score. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey - Bruce Broughton

There were three movie themes which emotionally touched me most as a kid - one was Father's Theme from The Lion King (because it's so poignant), another was Legend Of Ashitaka Theme from Princess Mononoke (because it's so epic). The third one was the main theme from this score. Because it's so warm.

Except the fantastic End Credit suite, Reunion cue is my favorite - I love how main theme isn't played until Shadow finally appears over the hill. Nothing else could fit the scene where a dog is running back to his dear master! smile

I wish this and the sequel score will be re-released. I noticed it was Intrada who released the first soundtrack, not Disney. Does they still have the license? If so, there is still a hope...?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Alice in Wonderland - Danny Elfman

F__king brilliant! And Dennis Sands is again on the ball - what a dynamic recording! I love the English children's choir... but unlike the fairytale sound of Edward Scissorhands the choir in this score is represented in a more, dark and twisted fashion. Reminds me of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" from Williams' Prisoner of Azkaban. There is a sense of magic and adventure in the main theme (which Elfman knocked out of the friggin' park) but we know well enough that the journey is a mysterious and potentially dangerous one for Alice who much watch her step with each new place she visits. It's all in there in the music. Some of the greatest scores ever composed tell an entire story on their own without having to see the film and Elfman has succeed in doing that with this most impressive score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

I'll put a pic up from NZ soon. smile

I look forward to it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Atham wrote

shocked

Niiiice. Neat little stroke of good fortune there, Atham! Well spotted! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Total Recall (goldsmith)

In my office. the people around is a collateral damage of Goldsmith agressive composition!!!! beer

My fourth all time favourite score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CROSS OF IRON - Ernest Gold

It's fantastic to finally have this on CD, the main theme is truly to die for, one of those rare themes that put chills up and down your spine, IMO it's one of the greatest themes ever written.

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really?
    I should have a listen to this...I think I may have it somewhere, but I never bothered with a proper listen.

This IS nice! Danny is well back in form with this powerhouse of a score! Romantic and not a little bombastic, this reminds me of his best work on the Batman series (but with a decidedly more gentle touch).
    Not saccharine or fairytale-esque in the least, but a very mature, thematic, rock solid score.
    Greatly enjoyable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn,

Most of the score is quite unremarkable, good but unremarkable and includes some German folk songs, maybe that's why you've hardly played it? Dig it out and listen to that theme which bookends the album, it truly is something of, as our esteemed contributer would say, a "rare beauty".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Will do. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If you don't have it I'm sure something can be arranged.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just found it. Will have a listen anon.
  1. James Horner - Flightplan

I like it a lot. Very intelligent design of the score and the idea of expanding the orchestral ensemble with each piece (though possibly unnoticeable on album) is quite ingenious.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : CROSS OF IRON - Ernest Gold

It's fantastic to finally have this on CD, the main theme is truly to die for, one of those rare themes that put chills up and down your spine, IMO it's one of the greatest themes ever written.

love

I listened to this the other day and it just didn't do anything for me at all. I was quite disappointed. I much preferred the other title that was bundled with Cross of Iron!

I don't know whether Kritzerland is good at selecting clips for their titles but, for titles I'm not familiar with, I frequently find their titles a let down when I hear them in full.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Dante's Inferno (Garry Schyman)

The score to a game about the depths of hell should be horrific right? Well it is, but I'm really getting tired of 'music' such as this. There's nothing to hold my interest. In the beginning I thought this would have something in common with the obvious comparison which is Goldsmith's The Omen, but that was soon laid to rest, because at least Jerry came up with memorable themes. Sorry but this is, once again, not for me. sad

I'm going to listen to Cinema Symphony now to quickly forget about this one.

love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love ilove it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it

I love that you love it
    I love that I hate it

ad infinitum

Not a big fan of Schyman am I, Bioshock 2 did nothing for me either. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Really?
    I should have a listen to this...I think I may have it somewhere, but I never bothered with a proper listen.

This IS nice! Danny is well back in form with this powerhouse of a score! Romantic and not a little bombastic, this reminds me of his best work on the Batman series (but with a decidedly more gentle touch).
    Not saccharine or fairytale-esque in the least, but a very mature, thematic, rock solid score.
    Greatly enjoyable.

I've heard it too, i have to join the parade and say that yeah, it's a very good score indeed, Looking forward to the movie itself.