• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Hurt Locker - Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders

I don't know how it works like in the film itself, but except the last track it's terrible as a standalone listening experience!

Does the fact that when I saw the film I heard no music surprise you..

I'm more surprised at the fact that they nominated this drone for an Oscar! Undoubtedly it's just an aftermath of the film's critical appreciation, methinks. There were far more superior scores last year which could've been nominated in its place (especially Desplat's Twilight score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This Earth is Mine from Hugo Friedhofer
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The American President - Marc Shaiman

Truly gorgeous stuff. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Anthony wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Hurt Locker - Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders

I don't know how it works like in the film itself, but except the last track it's terrible as a standalone listening experience!

Does the fact that when I saw the film I heard no music surprise you..

I'm more surprised at the fact that they nominated this drone for an Oscar! Undoubtedly it's just an aftermath of the film's critical appreciation, methinks. There were far more superior scores last year which could've been nominated in its place (especially Desplat's Twilight score).

Are you suggesting that Oscars have no subjective criteria about the music category or that it's just filler that only us poor film score geeks take seriously? Oh dear God, how dare you!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Indeed, how dare you say that Slumdog didn't deserve to win over Wall-E? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Alice in Wonderland ~ Danny Elfman

Very, very, very nice! From the very first notes it screams "Elfman". I will have to agree with Martijn that it's not fairytalish or sweet but I just adore the romantic, moody atmosphere and I can't wait to see how it works in the film. This is the Elfman I like and I have to admit that Alice's theme is addicted and I have been singing Aaaalice Aaaaalice all morning! I loved that story when I was a little girl the scores goes to my "favourite" list without a doubt.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - the last samurai

Bliss. His post Gladiator era, the 3-4 years that followed it, was pure Zimmer bliss for me. Looking forward to a come back with Henri 4 perhaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Alice in Wonderland ~ Danny Elfman

Very, very, very nice! From the very first notes it screams "Elfman". I will havre to agree with Martijn that it's not fairytalish ot sweet but I just adore the romantic. moody atmposhere and I can't wait to see how it works in the film. This is the Elfman I like and I have to admit that Alice's theme is addicted and I have been singing Aaaalice Aaaaalice all morning! I loved that story when I was a little girl the scores goes to my "favourite" list without a doubt.

He's a man who surely knows how to awe and captivate with his music, no matter the style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote

Bliss. His post Gladiator era, the 3-4 years that followed it, was pure Zimmer bliss for me. Looking forward to a come back with Henri 4 perhaps.

Perfect, isn't it? The mood, the way the music flows, the strong themes... Dreamy... I think that's the word. I'll be playing it next then. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Funny! Commenting at the same time on each others posts. Great mind think alike baby! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Henri IV - Hans Zimmer and Henri Jackman

Looks like your wish has been granted, Demetris! smile I think it's more similar to Last Samurai than King Arthur - lots of strings and soft female voices, mild electronics and plucked instruments, rising percussive beats to create tension. The score is more inclined on the mellow side rather than action, although there are a few good action cues like Henri's Escape. Surprisingly, Hans seems to have reused the Da Vinci Code Chevaliers string ostinato - listen to the last track and parts of the first one! But it's a fine, enjoyable score with a grand quality to it, very good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Perfect, isn't it? The mood, the way the music flows, the strong themes... Dreamy... I think that's the word. I'll be playing it next then. smile

Adorable atmosphere, sentimental themes, and the build-up, the musical development is really working here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Great Escape - Elmer Bernstein

A classic and don't you just love that main theme ?!
    As the movie itself , this is great stuff !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorLars
    DemonStar wrote

Looks like your wish has been granted, Demetris! smile I think it's more similar to Last Samurai than King Arthur - lots of strings and soft female voices, mild electronics and plucked instruments, rising percussive beats to create tension. The score is more inclined on the mellow side rather than action, although there are a few good action cues like Henri's Escape. Surprisingly, Hans seems to have reused the Da Vinci Code Chevaliers string ostinato - listen to the last track and parts of the first one! But it's a fine, enjoyable score with a grand quality to it, very good!

it's a good score by zimmer and jackman, especially the softer moments. the action cues are solid. the orchestration is a little bit to "modern" for my taste. for me these cues sound more like nick-glennie smith style. but you're right, HENRI'S ESCAPE is a really good track. sounds a little bit like UP IS DOWN from pirates 3. finally it's a really enjoyable score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote

It is brilliant and deserves it's classic status. I love the score but I rarely play it, maybe because I'm so familiar with it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Eric wrote

It is brilliant and deserves it's classic status. I love the score but I rarely play it, maybe because I'm so familiar with it?

Great score (I had the pleasure to listen the main theme live when Bernstein came to Barcelona for a concert) and one (if not THE) of my favourite movies ever. The cast is unbeatable, there´s action, comedy, suspense...everything. A classic.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Danny Elfman - Wolfman

Listening to this and earlier his Alice in Wonderland score makes me sure that film music isn't in a bad shape today!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Questa Specie D'Amore - Ennio Morricone

I'm new to this score even though it's from 1972. All I can say is: it's wonderful. Every single track is a delight. Highly recommended for those who love the emotional, melodic side of the Maestro.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Eric wrote

Great score (I had the pleasure to listen the main theme live when Bernstein came to Barcelona for a concert) and one (if not THE) of my favourite movies ever. The cast is unbeatable, there´s action, comedy, suspense...everything. A classic.

I totally agree! I've lost count of how many times I've seen it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lars wrote
    DemonStar wrote

it's a good score by zimmer and jackman, especially the softer moments. the action cues are solid. the orchestration is a little bit to "modern" for my taste. for me these cues sound more like nick-glennie smith style. but you're right, HENRI'S ESCAPE is a really good track. sounds a little bit like UP IS DOWN from pirates 3. finally it's a really enjoyable score.

Thanks! I gather it'll make a good combination with Badelt's SOLOMON KANE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lars wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Thanks! I gather it'll make a good combination with Badelt's SOLOMON KANE.

I think is bland and nothing memorable.

I have to listen it more, but....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Yeah. and you also though Gladiator was messy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Yeah. and you also though Gladiator was messy wink

Listen Henri 4 and if you notice something memorable, then I will chance my thoughts about Gladiator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I will. SOLOMON KANE is largely considered as drone too, but i easily fall for long, dramatic string-led Zimmer styled scores without the electronics' crap hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Green Zone (Powell)

How I said...the electronic bits, use of brass, distorsions and sound dessign are highly influenced by United 93. and I love it, but...

while I guess the music will fit the movie very well, outside it's pure noise.

Of course, Powell's noise it's far better than other composer's noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Jordi, did you also describe UNITED 93 as 'pure noise'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    BobdH wrote
    Jordi, did you also describe UNITED 93 as 'pure noise'?

No. I describred Green Zone as pure noise. I said Both shares some "style", but it doesn't make the same score. In fact are very diferent one to another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If it's anything like UNITED 93, which i won't know yet 'cause i haven't heard it, then you're out of your mind for calling it pure noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    If it's anything like UNITED 93, which i won't know yet 'cause i haven't heard it, then you're out of your mind for calling it pure noise.

I am listening to GLADIATOR. I take that exception back...you're already out of your mind wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

United 93 is one of my favourites powell scores ever! "Phone calls"- "the End"-"Dedication" are what the thind red line if for Zimmer.

same language, doesn't make the same words tongue