• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010
    HANS ZIMMER - pirates of the Caribbean : dead man's chest

I'm in Zimmer mode today. Started of side-ways, with Badelt's solomon kane, moved to the wonderful Gladiator and now this. Fun.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - pirates of the Caribbean : dead man's chest

I'm in Zimmer mode today. Started of side-ways, with Badelt's solomon kane, moved to the wonderful Gladiator and now this. Fun.

and....of all Zimmer scores, you listen one of his worst and less personal compositions???!!!!

listen Jack Sparrow and The kraken and then listen...some other of his scores! re-listen the 18 minutes track from Sherlock Holmes for God Sake!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am playing random zimmer scores on my hard disk..it's got some good pieces, At world's end is far superior but all in all, i am not a great fan of the POTC scores...i prefer him in Gladiator / King Arthur mode...such a shame he's not doing RIDLEY SCOTT'S "ROBIN HOOD", that looks entirely like a Gladiator rip off as a movie. I hope the score gets rejected and Zimmer replaces him wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Why can't Ridley Scott just employ a real composer?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Jordi, did you also describe UNITED 93 as 'pure noise'?

No. I describred Green Zone as pure noise. I said Both shares some "style", but it doesn't make the same score. In fact are very diferent one to another.

Ah ok. I just asked it because a LOT of people find U93 noise outside the film, which I don't (it's brilliant and beautiful). If you would too, I could discard your comment about Green Zone because I'd know I wouldn't find it noise ;-). Still anyhow, I will blind buy this :p.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP : Independence Day - David Arnold

Having a crack at Steven's playlist. Although I feel like I should be waiting until the La La Land release comes out and that I'm spoiling myself right now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

You're right there. But Zimmer's the man for this Gladiator-esque sound. But definitely not his army of clones, they tend to produce the most uninteresting stuff there's out there for his kind of films. It's a shame though, that such a director has teamed up with them. What's up with that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Jordi, did you also describe UNITED 93 as 'pure noise'?

No. I describred Green Zone as pure noise. I said Both shares some "style", but it doesn't make the same score. In fact are very diferent one to another.

Ah ok. I just asked it because a LOT of people find U93 noise outside the film, which I don't (it's brilliant and beautiful). If you would too, I could discard your comment about Green Zone because I'd know I wouldn't find it noise ;-). Still anyhow, I will blind buy this :p.

UNITED 93 along with STOP LOSS are 2 of my most played examples of emotional modern film music..absolutely addicted to those two i am, especially the former.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

You're right there. But Zimmer's the man for this Gladiator-esque sound. But definitely not his army of clones, they tend to produce the most uninteresting stuff there's out there for his kind of films. It's a shame though, that such a director has teamed up with them. What's up with that?

Will it be full of more wailing women crap? freezing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't know smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ....although that can be done in very creative ways too...see what Dario Marianelli did with AGORA for instance..although yeah, Streitenfield is hardly Dario. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The wailing women schtick has long gone past it's sale by date IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Surely you only mean the women who wail for film music, right?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Surely you only mean the women who wail for film music, right?

How dare you, that's no way to talk about Steven, James and Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, what can i do? Those guys irritate me from time to time.

s.p. DEAD MAN CHEST

Damn, this is mediocre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

s.p. DEAD MAN CHEST

Damn, this is mediocre.

In every sense posible. It's boring, it's bad somposed, it's innapropiate, it's uncoherent, it's full of additionals....If only the whole score was like the last 2 minutes of Hello Beastie...

LIke I said, luckly it has the first 2 tracks. one because it's addictive, and the other because it's wild.

NP:Sherlock Holmes (Zimmer)

cool

Not a perfect album, but when it's good it's really, really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

s.p. DEAD MAN CHEST

Damn, this is mediocre.

In every sense posible. It's boring, it's bad somposed, it's innapropiate, it's uncoherent, it's full of additionals....If only the whole score was like the last 2 minutes of Hello Beastie...

LIke I said, luckly it has the first 2 tracks. one because it's addictive, and the other because it's wild.

The 1st and 3rd score is much superior.

Weren't you a fan of the 2nd potc score btw?

n.p. HENRI 4 (Zimmer and Jackman)

I am halfway down the album and it seems Jordi's right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote

Btw i don't hear any Zimmer in there..it's the usual cup of RC clone wanting to sound like Zimmer ending up in uninspired drones. I am sure he's just credited for the p.r. of the thing. Damn, the sound clips were misleading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Btw i don't hear any Zimmer in there..it's the usual cup of RC clone wanting to sound like Zimmer ending up in uninspired drones. I am sure he's just credited for the p.r. of the thing. Damn, the sound clips were misleading.

He is credited for the theme heard in the last track (i guess) and in the middle of the first. The same happened in lauras stern (where Zimmer theme was presented in the last track, and he was credited for the use of that theme thought the score).

About Pirates....I never have been a fan of the second DMC score. It was one of the biggest musical dissapointments of my life. The first score is far better (more coherent, and faaar more entertaning) and of course , the thirs is one of my all time Zimmer top scores.
    Dead man's chest is not only disjointed, it lacks of structure, mood or climax. Even MI2 music is better than that. (jack sparrow and the kraken are some of my most played tracks ever, thought)

NP:The Dark Night

I changed from SH to this score because it's more appropiate for the night.

I'm not rubish to say it's one of my favourite Zimmer score. While the sound is not as good as other soundscapes created for other sagas (like Bourne scores, or Angels and demons), it is very appropiate for the movie.

"A Dark Knight" is my favourite Zimmer addagio, specially the first 6 minutes and the last 4 (where the 2 notes batman motif has a powerful rendition with percusion and heavye electronics). in the middle of that track you can hear really epic moments, and some creepy stuff who could fit perfectly some horror movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Saves me suffering a listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, it's pretty bad.

As for HENRI 4, I heard the whole score and it's obviously just the theme and the end credits piece were Zimmer's credit is due, and it's evident. The rest is unbearably mediocre and uninteresting crap drone. So much for Jackman being RC's next highlight.. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, I dismissed Powell at first and I'm happy to say I was wrong about him, you never know, he might shine soon.

...and maybe never.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Well, I dismissed Powell at first and I'm happy to say I was wrong about him, you never know, he might shine soon.

...and maybe never.

Powell's first impotant score was Face Off. While it was a bad copy of Broken Arrow sound, it has really, really good tunes on it , and this is pretty much what makes a composer better than other. His capacity of create melodies (and that's why the talent of compose complex music is being replaced for talent to compose good tunes )

I "believed" a lot in Jackman since he composed good tracks for the recent Zimmer scores. but when he composed "monsters vs Aliens" I automathically knew he is a good "assistant"but another mediocre composer.
  1. NP: The Keep - Tangerine Dream

Listening to a track from this on YouTube at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone has a copy I can listen to? I see it listed on eBay for $400+ so the chances of finding a "hard copy" is slim!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010
    I think the Dead Man's Chest score is badly represented on CD which makes it sound more bland than it actually is. There are at least 4 or 5 excellent action tracks left off the album and replaced with more boring tracks like Hello Beastie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    I think is bland and nothing memorable.

I have to listen it more, but....

My first impression was that it's like Monsters and Aliens; very capable, well written, score that just doesn't have those standout cues that makes it a memorable one. But my first impression usually doesn't change after repeated listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Nautilus wrote

NP:The Dark Night

I changed from SH to this score because it's more appropiate for the night.

I'm not rubish to say it's one of my favourite Zimmer score. While the sound is not as good as other soundscapes created for other sagas (like Bourne scores, or Angels and demons), it is very appropiate for the movie.

"A Dark Knight" is my favourite Zimmer addagio, specially the first 6 minutes and the last 4 (where the 2 notes batman motif has a powerful rendition with percusion and heavye electronics). in the middle of that track you can hear really epic moments, and some creepy stuff who could fit perfectly some horror movie.

The Dark Knight is fast becoming one of my favorites by Zimmer. Unlike the movie, I like it more and more with each re-visit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Green Zone - John Powell

So, Varese did get the PR description correct here - this puppy's one heck of an adrenaline fueled ride. Like mentioned before, the orchestra is mixed somewhat lower in this one and I wish it were more prominent, but I'm really liking the turbulent percussion and electronics here which really suit the tone of the film. The second half of the score gets better with some big brass and strings joining in, with quite some Bourne influence. There's also the noisy chaotic quality of Black Hawk Down and I think it works well here. And it all ends with a near-Powell anthem-ish segment! cool I'm eager to watch the film to hear how the score works there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: New Moon ~ Alexandre Desplat

Dark skies, rain and the feeling of yearning for a love which far away... is there any score more perfect to express it?
    I just love the way Desplat creates images with his music and the way the piano is always present both dominating but also stabilising discretly the whole mood.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: New Moon ~ Alexandre Desplat

Dark skies, rain and the feeling of yearning for a love which far away... is there any score more perfect to express it?
    I just love the way Desplat creates images with his music and the way the piano is always present both dominating but also stabilising discretly the whole mood.

I watched the movie last night (I know, I know.....) and not even the music can fix the disaster. Not even the love theme is used on its full glory in the whole film. Total crap.

On the other hand, I wonder how a movie where the two main characters seem to be 1- anorectic (he), 2- permanently on drugs (she) and 3- with permanent suicidal tendencies (again, she) can be such a success among teenagers. Something to seriously think about.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you