• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Portrait of a Lady (Wojciech Kilar)

Man what a gorgeous piece of work. Sad I didn't play this for a long time. Much of it is repeated on the album, but the melodies are so lovely I don't care one bit. And the best thing of all: there's a beautiful melody in every minute of this score... which is a thing I just don't come across a lot. It has a nice soothing and hypnotic quality, but then that's what Kilar's music has always been about.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited
    Marselus

I watched the movie last night (I know, I know.....) and not even the music can fix the disaster. Not even the love theme is used on its full glory in the whole film. Total crap.

On the other hand, I wonder how a movie where the two main characters seem to be 1- anorectic (he), 2- permanently on drugs (she) and 3- with permanent suicidal tendencies (again, she) can be such a success among teenagers. Something to seriously think about.

Well, I haven't watched the film, I've read the book though some years back when it was not such a hit among teenagers and I can tell you it's not so dramatic as I assumed the whole situation is presented in the film. It is focused mainly on the love which transcends difficulties, at least that's how I perceived it when I read it. So, I enjoy the score just as plain music having parts of the book in mind and not the disaster they actually call a film! rolleyes
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010
    Stavroula wrote
    Marselus

I watched the movie last night (I know, I know.....) and not even the music can fix the disaster. Not even the love theme is used on its full glory in the whole film. Total crap.

On the other hand, I wonder how a movie where the two main characters seem to be 1- anorectic (he), 2- permanently on drugs (she) and 3- with permanent suicidal tendencies (again, she) can be such a success among teenagers. Something to seriously think about.

Well, I haven't watched the film, I've read the book though some years back when it was not such a hit among teenagers and I can tell you it's not so dramatic as I assumed the whole situation is presented in the film. It is focused mainly on the love which transcends difficulties, at least that's how I perceived it when I read it. So, I enjoy the score just as plain music having parts of the book in mind and not the disaster they actually call a film! rolleyes

Then the thing is even worse, as they´ve manipulated the novel to do it all overdramatic (not that it works, not at all, as hard as they try).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    The Portrait of a Lady (Wojciech Kilar)

Man what a gorgeous piece of work. Sad I didn't play this for a long time. Much of it is repeated on the album, but the melodies are so lovely I don't care one bit. And the best thing of all: there's a beautiful melody in every minute of this score... which is a thing I just don't come across a lot. It has a nice soothing and hypnotic quality, but then that's what Kilar's music has always been about.

One of the great scores!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Keep - Tangerine Dream

Listening to a track from this on YouTube at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone has a copy I can listen to? I see it listed on eBay for $400+ so the chances of finding a "hard copy" is slim!

I've send you a PM about it Alan ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Portrait of a Lady (Wojciech Kilar)

One of the great scores!

I was juist about to say Gilles would become Michael's new best friend wink

Yeah, beautiful score. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea - Joe Hisaishi

Hooked to the Ponyo Flies track. Magnificent! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

Love this though it may not be to everyone's taste. ( Mel hates it! )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I like Saturn 3, though I don't love it, but some of the cues really are great. smile

I bought this on release, because the music stuck in my head ever since I saw the film many moons ago.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Basic Instinct Complete (Jerry Goldsmith)

There are two things the film will always be remembered for. You all know what the first thing is. The second thing is Jerry's incredibly original music, which is beautiful, atmospheric, chilling and exciting in all the right places. While I think this complete edition has too many filler cues compared to the regular edition, the big plus is the score takes more than enough time to build something truly spectacular: an utterly genius musical cum-shot of a finale. I don't think an erotic thriller will ever have a score again that is so perfect for the story and so well glued to the images as Basic Instinct does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Basic Instinct Complete (Jerry Goldsmith)

Pulling a Thor here but I prefer Varese's condensed version. As for the film, I think it's a very well made thriller! There's more to it than tits and ass. As for Goldsmith's score... it's musical sex!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Erik Woods wrote
    As for Goldsmith's score... it's musical sex!

I think that here we have a quote to remember... smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  5. Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    As for Goldsmith's score... it's musical sex!

I think that here we have a quote to remember... smile

yeah, and for once I didn't say it tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Eric wrote
    NP : The Great Escape - Elmer Bernstein

A classic and don't you just love that main theme ?!
    As the movie itself , this is great stuff !

The 2CD (original tracks) score from Varese (OOP, I believe) is well worth it, if you don't have it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited
    i was playing:Green Zone (Powell)

I did serveral listens. Now I even I found the theme., a theme wich is pretty efective.

But it's not a nice album to listen. probably I will listen from now on only the last 3 tracks.

John, I love your music, but leave the african percusion at home for once!

NP:Stop Loss (Powell)

A fantastic main theme. one of the bests from Powell. noble, sad and heroic.
  7. NP: Meet the Applegates -- David Newman

let's see how this one turns out
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Battlestar Galactica Season 4 (Bear McCreary)

I can't get over the fact that the first disc is the more satisfying listen of the two. For the grand finale I feel the 'Daybreak' music could've been better, which is why I probably won't be listening to it as much as disc 1. But overall it is definitely the finest soundtrack from the bunch, just not a modern classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I love the McCreary universe for BAttlestar galactica, but 'till now, i think that the third installment is where he topped himself and it'll be hard to surpass that. In no way though, i do imply that the rest of the installments aren't worthy, rather the contrary.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

I did serveral listens. Now I even I found the theme., a theme wich is pretty efective.

There is? Where?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

There is? Where?

Listen the final 2 minutes of "chaos-email". that is the theme, or the motif. it's used several times thought the album.

I guess you are highly dissapointed with GZ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010
    This evening's listening:

Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Very enjoyable with echoes of both Williams and Goldsmith. Hadn't listened to it for a long time but it's actually one of his most enjoyable albums.

Up - Michael Giacchino

I like this more than when I first heard it but still can't see what all the fuss is about. It's OK, but not one of his better scores nor anywhere near the top of the Pixar list. Still, there have been far worse scores to win Oscars.

Hoosiers - Jerry Goldsmith

I've never had such an extreme about-turn with any other score. I hated it when I first heard it (many many years ago) but have come to regard it as the best sports movie score. It's as cheesy as anything but it's so full of heart. The last few minutes of the lengthy finale cue are brilliant, synths and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Up - Michael Giacchino

I like this more than when I first heard it but still can't see what all the fuss is about. It's OK, but not one of his better scores nor anywhere near the top of the Pixar list. Still, there have been far worse scores to win Oscars.

Agree with u here. Ratatouille was FAAAAAAAAAAR better.

Anyway, i want the Oscar for MG.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Basic Instinct Complete (Jerry Goldsmith)

Pulling a Thor here but I prefer Varese's condensed version. As for the film, I think it's a very well made thriller! There's more to it than tits and ass. As for Goldsmith's score... it's musical sex!

-Erik-

It's erotic but too cold. Barry's Body Heat is just as sexy but as warm as it's title.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Up - Michael Giacchino

Agree with u here. Ratatouille was FAAAAAAAAAAR better.

Anyway, i want the Oscar for MG.

He should have won for Ratatouille, but at least now he's won.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    He couldn't win for Ratatooee because voters didn't know how to spell his name and the movie title.

Great to see him in the spotlight anyway smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    Ratatooee

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Haha, good point! "Up" was easier than "Avatar"/. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You might think that the people presenting the awards would take ten seconds to look at the list of names they have to read out before they go on stage so they could ask for help if needed. "Dess-platt"? "Gaia-cheeno"? So disrespectful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Green Zone (John Powell)

shocked

Now this is a PERCUSSION based score! Love it. Nothing to do with Bourne (which I was afraid of), this one is much more agressive and violent. Powell is in a moment of his career where he does nothing wrong. I´m impressed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    NP Green Zone (John Powell)

shocked

Now this is a PERCUSSION based score! Love it. Nothing to do with Bourne (which I was afraid of), this one is much more agressive and violent. Powell is in a moment of his career where he does nothing wrong. I´m impressed.

Oooooooooooooookay.

I think you are the only one who like this score. I have enough with one track. i listen the 8 minutes one, and I'm done.