• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    Perhaps that is on purpose?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, if it is it surely explains a lot. But it doesn't change the fact that it's very uninspired, especially when compared to the one it plagiarizes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, if it is it surely explains a lot. But it doesn't change the fact that it's very uninspired, especially when compared to the one it plagiarizes.

Indeed. Now, Band of Brothers itself is pretty "standard" - there's nothing revolutionary about it - but it proves what can be done by a composer who knows how to make the best of things. I've heard the main theme from The Pacific and it's just unbelievably generic. I can't believe the makers of the show couldn't find someone better-suited to doing the music given the budget they have. (It's even produced by Spielberg, so I'm sure John Williams would have written the theme if they'd asked him and then a good Williams-esque composer could have done the scores themselves.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William Ross for example.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    Southall wroteIndeed. Now, Band of Brothers itself is pretty "standard" - there's nothing revolutionary about it - but it proves what can be done by a composer who knows how to make the best of things. I've heard the main theme from The Pacific and it's just unbelievably generic. I can't believe the makers of the show couldn't find someone better-suited to doing the music given the budget they have. (It's even produced by Spielberg, so I'm sure John Williams would have written the theme if they'd asked him and then a good Williams-esque composer could have done the scores themselves.)

It's very idiotic that they chose such a directly linked score to plagiarize (the series itself, the main theme, everything) and it's ironic 'cause that exact plagiarizing is what showcases the tremendous gasp between the rc team and a composer as gifted as Kamen, who showcased how he could create true beauty out of the simplest materials, like in Band of brothers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lee Holdridge.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lee Holdridge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's sad, 'cause out of all those composers they could hire, Spielberg (and sadly a large part of the industry too it seems) think that Z and the RC are what people want to hear all the time in movies.
  1. Spielberg is a huge Zimmer fan since Crimson Tide. Remember when Scoremagacine published a rumor that Williams may not be willing to score Munich for Spielberg and would be replaced by Zimmer?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cripes! And there was me thinking Spielberg always loved real composers!? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pawel, I know and there's also that rumor that Spielberg said that if he was ever to replace Williams for his works, he'd do it with Zimmer? That doesn't change my point though, it further reinforces it. Zimmer can be great when he wants to, but surely his (and his team's) output such as this, don't showcase that at all nor do they justify a large part of the industry's mania with them. When you hear stuff like the pacific, is just disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Spielberg is a huge Zimmer fan since Crimson Tide. Remember when Scoremagacine published a rumor that Williams may not be willing to score Munich for Spielberg and would be replaced by Zimmer?

The same rumor had Minority Report.

Remember The Last days is a spielberg produced documentary with Zimmer music. and Zimmer said he worked closely with spielberg in one of his scores (Gladiator? Peacemaker? Prince of Egypt ?)

Anyway, The pacific is bland because is not by Zimmer. it's another score with Zimmer name put on it. Like "the whole wide world" or "smilla sense of snow". the same goes for henri 4. Zimmer can do bad scores, but never bland.

PS: It's talking the guy who notice when a track is from one of his "underlings" without read the credits. Ex: Wheel of Fortune.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think it's well-known that Spielberg is an admirer of Zimmer (he was, after all, the "house composer" at Dreamworks, a decision presumably made with a lot of input from Spielberg).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am with Jordi here. Same goes for HENRI 4, those score scream "theme by zimmer, the rest by some rc dude" all over. The true Zimmer scores are easy to distinguish and aren't so frequent lately it seems.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Pawel, I know and there's also that rumor that Spielberg said that if he was ever to replace Williams for his works, he'd do it with Zimmer? That doesn't change my point though, it further reinforces it. Zimmer can be great when he wants to, but surely his (and his team's) output such as this, don't showcase that at all nor do they justify a large part of the industry's mania with them. When you hear stuff like the pacific, is just disappointing.

It's not a rumor, it's an extensively quoted interview excerpt.

The only thing that shocks me about RC is that scores with Zimmer's name on it are 10 notches better than his underlings EVEN with the same sound. This still goes beyond me.

I love Zimmer as a person and as a composer. I HATE Hans Zimmer as a score producer, because he dumbs down film music to lowest common denominator. Zimmer himself, even if he has technical deficiencies (which he admits personally, ALWAYS), at least has PASSION to him and it is shown especially in his best works, which manage to go *beyond* his lacks as a composer and are very effective in their movies anyway.

Producers and directors are to blame too. THEY come to the studio. THEY talk to Zimmer, which sends them to other composers (and often has to save the score by rearranging it his way, which in many cases doesn't help *at all*, see Iron Man) and THEY want that lowest common denominator in film music. Why? Because it sells well, because it works on a superficial level, because they don't want to think how things work and want them to work, so RCP people just come off as some kind of film music whores doing things for those who pay (even Elfman has his scores ghost-written by Zimmer people).

Zimmer is, as I'ev heard, rather liked by the industry as a down-to-earth great human being. People are jealous, though the only going to the public with it are Shaiman with his songs and John Debney, who publicly smashed Iron Man and the approach, but who didn't mind working with Zimmer people (cellist Martin Tillman and former assistant/programmer John van Tongeren) on The Passion - quality of the score aside.
  3. and BTW, both Iron Man scores will share the same guitarist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Lee Holdridge!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Panthera wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Final Fantasy XIII (Masashi Hamauzu)

Custom playlist as the 4 discs just proved to be too much. This really is splendid stuff, high on glorious themes and rhythmic momentum and even some standout choral moments. If you hear tracks such as Nautilus or Born Anew you can expect much more in this style on this wonderful soundtrack. Some cheesy songs are present but they blend in rather well with the rest which is upbeat and very nicely orchestrated. I love it, because the music has a lively energy that is so rare in videogame music.

I'm looking forward to this score. Have you heard any of Motoi Sakuraba's video game scores? They are also very good.

From Star Ocean right? Only heard the odd cue here and there. Can't say I'm terribly familiar with japanese composers but I always keep an eye (or ear if you like) out for interesting music composed in the asian part of the world. Through Nobuo Uematsu I got to know some other fine composers and game music, though much of the japanese music is very synthetic and simplistic sounding, there are some good memorable tunes out there which deserve to be heard.

What I especially love about FF XIII is the orchestral music and its optimistic, lighthearted tone. You can't feel anything else but joy listening to this score, and that's a blessing after hearing so much ambient / non-melodic stuff lately, which really doesn't do anything for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lee Holdridge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    and BTW, both Iron Man scores will share the same guitarist.

who?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Lee Holdridge
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    and BTW, both Iron Man scores will share the same guitarist.

who?

Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine
  6. Avatar (Horner)

Liking it a bit more, though I still find it inconsistent and lacking in power at times it shouldn't be. And 'War' is just doing nothing for me, sorry. Sure it's rhythmic but it doesn't stick whatsoever. This is of course solely my opinion. The rest of you can love Avatar till the day you die. wink

'Becoming One of ...' is my favourite cue.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think you'll find that many share your opinion, in generall. It's not one that has set well with a lot of people apparently, which is fair enough. Personally I think it's fantastic, even though it's far from perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: LoTR: Return Of The King - Complete Recordings - Howard Shore

Listening to selected favourite tracks. Truly an excellent achievement all round!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

Liking it a bit more, though I still find it inconsistent and lacking in power at times it shouldn't be. And 'War' is just doing nothing for me, sorry. Sure it's rhythmic but it doesn't stick whatsoever. This is of course solely my opinion. The rest of you can love Avatar till the day you die. wink

'Becoming One of ...' is my favourite cue.

I'm with ya, pal. And "Becoming One of..." is my favorite cue as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Into Thin Air - Lee Holdridge

I think I'm just going to go through this man's catalogue one by one. Probably one of only a handful of film composers that ALWAYS writes great music! This is another emotional gem featuring one helluva recording!

Up Next... a crowning achievement in re-recordings! The Music of Lee Holdridge with Charles Gerhardt conducting the London Symphony in performances of some of Holdridge's most beloved suites and themes!

This is why I listen to film music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    What a weird coincidence. I just selected "Becoming one of..." and clicked play the moment before I clicked on this thread.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Into Thin Air - Lee Holdridge

I think I'm just going to go through this man's catalogue one by one. Probably one of only a handful of film composers that ALWAYS writes great music! This is another emotional gem featuring one helluva recording!

Up Next... a crowning achievement in re-recordings! The Music of Lee Holdridge with Charles Gerhardt conducting the London Symphony in performances of some of Holdridge's most beloved suites and themes!

This is why I listen to film music!

-Erik-

Into Thin Air is a great example of music transcending it's film ( it's awful ), Holdridge did a Goldsmith with this.

the book of the same title by Jon Krakauer is excellent though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Into Thin Air is a great example of music transcending it's film ( it's awful ), Holdridge did a Goldsmith with this.

the book of the same title by Jon Krakauer is excellent though.

Disappointing to hear that the film's bad! I loved the book, I like the soundtrack, so I was hoping to catch the film some day.