• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Avatar academy promo

Going up to my all time favourites scores. because it's all in one. from new age to orchestral fanfarres.

The unrealeased (until now) music, sounds more than ever from Nicholad Dodd and sometimes sounds out of place. but at the same time it's the best action music of this score, far more powerful than Horner unsuccesful mix of tribal elements with orchestra.

Now we have from "flying island's fanfarre" to the 20 minutes action climax.

I have never seen someone call a score a classic then within the same breathe take jabs at it! You are one odd ball, Jordi!

-Erik-

I never said this is a classic. I never said even it's perfect. in fact, it's far, far from perfect.

I just said it has so many elements I love that it's imposible to not be into my favourites scores. In the same way Lair is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    I never said this is a classic. I never said even it's perfect. in fact, it's far, far from perfect.

I just said it has so many elements I love that it's imposible to not be into my favourites scores. In the same way Lair is.

Ok... I've never seen someone call a score one of their favorites and then take jabs at it! You are still one odd ball, Jordi.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ok... I've never seen someone call a score one of their favorites and then take jabs at it! You are still one odd ball, Jordi.

-Erik-

Is it that "odd" to love a score and still able to point out its flaws?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

wave beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Why be so negative! If you love it, LOVE IT! I don't crap all over Raiders, Empire, Dances With Wolves, Back to the Future. If they had flaws they would be amongst my all time favorite scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Why be so negative! If you love it, LOVE IT! I don't crap all over Raiders, Empire, Dances With Wolves, Back to the Future. If they had flaws they would be amongst my all time favorite scores!

-Erik-

I think it's clear that Jordi absolutely loves Avatar, but if he's unable to see the flaws in the work, I think he would have just been that dreadful "fanboy" that everyone would hate to not be (and rag on).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I never said nothing negative about: Lair, Empire, Total Recall, The Da Vinci Code, Lost or Signs either tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I never said nothing negative about: Lair, Empire, Total Recall, The Da Vinci Code, Lost or Signs either tongue

Just curious if you still leave off your Avatar playlist the following...

- Climbing Up Iknimaya - The Path To Heaven
    - Jake's First Flight
    - Destruction of the Hometree
    - Shutting Down Grace's Lab

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Just curious if you still leave off your Avatar playlist the following...

- Climbing Up Iknimaya - The Path To Heaven
    - Jake's First Flight
    - Destruction of the Hometree
    - Shutting Down Grace's Lab

-Erik-

I don't leave any of those tracks off , because they are part of the "journey".( But I still have my problems with the childs screaming and the 4 notes as a dramatic motif)

Anyway..total time of those tracks: 17 minutes.

Then I have 60 minutes of music from the original album that I really love (how I said, specially the first 5 tracks, wich captures very well Pandora's world). then you can add 20 minutes of sublime action music from the academy promo, and 10 minutes of good dramatic music from the same promo.

you have 90 minutes of fantastic music. With all the elements I like: new age, electronics, big orchestra,tribal chants and percusion, epic, romance, adventure...even electric guitars!!!

If you want, when I have time to listen the Promo I type my playlist for you tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik does have a point.

Anyway.

Night Crossing Jerry Goldsmith

First.
    Flight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    I don't leave any of those tracks off , because they are part of the "journey".( But I still have my problems with the childs screaming and the 4 notes as a dramatic motif)

Interesting... because back in Decemeber you did and had so many complaints about those individual tracks. But I see that you've changed your mind... or "pulled a Jordi" which isn't surprising.

Nautilus wrote
    you have 90 minutes of fantastic music. With all the elements I like: new age, electronics, big orchestra,tribal chants and percusion, epic, romance, adventure...even electric guitars!!!

If you want, when I have time to listen the Promo I type my playlist for you tongue

So, you love 90 minutes of a 150 minute score.... and that qualifies a score for your all time favorites list? Just trying to figure you out, man.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik does have a point.

Anyway.

Night Crossing Jerry Goldsmith

First.
    Flight.

First Flight you say?

Did you know Steven, that when asked, James said he liked First Flight best.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Interesting... because back in Decemeber you did and had so many complaints about those individual tracks. But I see that you've changed your mind... or "pulled a Jordi" which isn't surprising.

Nautilus wrote

So, you love 90 minutes of a 150 minute score.... and that qualifies a score for your all time favorites list? Just trying to figure you out, man.

-Erik-

Yes, I'm weird. I have no logic. Move on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Yes, I'm weird. I have no logic. Move on.

biggrin You said it!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SATAN BUG - Jerry Goldsmith

That main title is one of the most creepy and ominous themes ever written, love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    GREEN ZONE | john powell

This score shakes me upside down! dizzy I like some of the tracks very much, the ones that really have a buildup and keep on going, but most of it is just under the radar, and too rhythmic to enjoy. It's not an easy score to enjoy, which it shouldn't in the first place anyway. So that last sentence was rather useless. It's my head. It's all dizzy! spin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Green Zone and United 93

Wow...just great!!!! 2 faces of the same coin!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    GREEN ZONE | john powell

This score shakes me upside down! dizzy I like some of the tracks very much, the ones that really have a buildup and keep on going, but most of it is just under the radar, and too rhythmic to enjoy. It's not an easy score to enjoy, which it shouldn't in the first place anyway. So that last sentence was rather useless. It's my head. It's all dizzy! spin

The same happens with me!!! Mobilize - Evac prep 1- Atack and Chase are powelful enough to make a listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

So your kinda like Data who can play two or more pieces at the exact same time and can decipher exactly what's going on in each!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

While I will never understand Jordi's twisted logic - loving 90 minutes of a score is pretty good going! I can only think of about three or four film scores where I could say I love 90 minutes of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (and most of those are Star Wars-related)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

While I will never understand Jordi's twisted logic - loving 90 minutes of a score is pretty good going! I can only think of about three or four film scores where I could say I love 90 minutes of them.

Pretty good sure but if you say you "love a score" or say that it's "one of your favorites" don't you love ALL of it?!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    loving 90 minutes of a score is pretty good going! I can only think of about three or four film scores where I could say I love 90 minutes of them.

that's why I said it's one of my all tiem favourites scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    loving 90 minutes of a score is pretty good going! I can only think of about three or four film scores where I could say I love 90 minutes of them.

that's why I said it's one of my all tiem favourites scores!

dizzy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jordi's ruined Avatar for me now. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

lol

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

lol

-Erik-

Oh God. the shepherd and his sheep.

Do you know what shepherds does to his sheeps in the cold of the winter?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Film Scores - Bernard Herrmann

I just finished watching the very informative and extremely well produced documentary "Music From The Movies: Bernard Herrmann" and it made me instantly reach for this brilliant recording by Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. I can only take Herrmann in small dosed and I find that the best way for me to experience the man's music is to either watch the film or listen to it in suite form. This is one of finest recordings of film music out there!

-Erik-

PS - Listening to Herrmann's rejected cue "The Killing" from Torn Curtain with the picture as catapulted that cue up near the top my list of very favorite Herrmann cues. And the one person that recorded the cue properly with emphasis on the timpani and percussion during the latter half of the cue was Elmer Bernstein. You can hear that cue on Bernstein's recording of Torn Curtain for the Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection of recordings! Superb!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

lol

-Erik-

Oh God. the shepherd and his sheep.

Do you know what shepherds does to his sheeps in the cold of the winter?

You're a treasure Jordi. biggrin