• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010
    First Knight Jerry Goldsmith

I caught this on the TV the other day, and I was wondering how it would have been scored by most composers today? Goldsmith truly went above and beyond with this score... it's far superior to the film! (Which is a bit of a guilty pleasure I have to admit, though mostly because of Goldsmith's score and the fact that it has Sean Connery in it.)

The end funeral pyre scene with Goldsmith's music is an example of just how much good film music can improve a scene. Brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    I will play next: Avatar.

I toke from the promo : Into the navi world, Thanator Chase 1, Floating Island (the 3 tracks), mated life ,Escape from hell gate, Help for grace, Bonding with.., prayers for grace, grace's death, quaritch down and fight to death.

Aww, we're missing some Jordi spelling gold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just 'toke'.
    Disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Just 'toke'.
    Disappointing.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. NP: Bioshock 2

Kind of good, actually!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote

I caught this on the TV the other day, and I was wondering how it would have been scored by most composers today? Goldsmith truly went above and beyond with this score... it's far superior to the film! (Which is a bit of a guilty pleasure I have to admit, though mostly because of Goldsmith's score and the fact that it has Sean Connery in it.)

The end funeral pyre scene with Goldsmith's music is an example of just how much good film music can improve a scene. Brilliant.

I caught the last half hour of this film yesterday....fooking awful!

The very best bit I saw was when Connery shouts "NEVER SURRENDER" and Goldsmith's full choral rendition of the battle music starts up it did put a chill right down my spine!

A fantastic score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I caught the last half hour of this film yesterday....fooking awful!

It took me YEARS to listen to the music without watching Richard Gere´s haircut in my head.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm glad I didn't see most of it. I have some scores which I love that have been tainted after seeing the film the score accompanies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley

One of the very best scores for an animated film IMO. love
  2. Timmer wrote
    I'm glad I didn't see most of it. I have some scores which I love that have been tainted after seeing the film the score accompanies.

About First Knight, I think it's a pretty good film. But then I really don't know about the legend of Arthur, the round table and so on. I was brought up on Monty Python's version of that, so to go from that to this is pretty steep. biggrin

It's probably also because of the fact I can never separate the music from the movie. It's a part of it and if music is great in the film, I'll most likely like the film as well because it's enhanced by the score in every way. It's just how my small-minded brain works. shame

I really must listen to the expanded again, that one is just more of the brilliance than the 40 minutes can possibly hold.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There are THREE Arthur films for me ( and no, not one of them involves Dudley Moore ) wink

Above and beyond is John Boorman's mythic EXCALIBUR, brilliant and I could watch it over and over. Gilles, I cannot recommend this one enough.

As you said, MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL...nuff said biggrin

And my third choice isn't a film but a 1970's TV series, ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS, probably a more realistic take on what Arthur would have been.
  3. I only know of the absurd one.

RUN AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'll give Excalibur a looksie. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You could certainly do a whole lot worse....like watching the Zimmer scored King Arthur. A good cast too, including a pre-famous Liam Neeson. Nicol Williamson as Merlin steals the show but a semi-naked Helen Mirren runs him pretty close.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Lair (Debney)

Which is your 1st favorite score of all time?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Bioshock 2

Kind of good, actually!

At last!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Kind of good in a really boring, drony kinda way.
    It's wonderful backdrop to -say- a machine factory. Or a truck driving on a gravelly road.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE NINTH GATE - Wojciech Kilar

cool
  4. Vocalise really is stunning isn't it? love

Contact (Alan Silvestri)

Ever since the film came out I loved this score, so delicately composed for a brilliant film built on mystery, emotion and wonder. The balance of all these elements in the musical department is spot on and the album hits all the right notes, so in that sense this album is a perfect presentation of the music. Silvestri really felt inspired by the whole premise of the film and it shows in the intricate melodies and development of the cues. One of the best things to come out of the Zemeckis-Silvestri collaboration IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Lair (Debney)

Empire Strikes back

NP:Black hawk Down

"syncrothone" is one track I only played once. Now I think it's a really interesting piece of..."music". The electronics are really inventive, and the fusion with percusion and electric guitars is really great. The beggining of joker's theme...

I don't know the concensus about this track, but I think it really influenced a lot of posterior score of other composers.

About the movie, It's a masterpiece. A masterful fusion of MTV cool looking shots, traditional use of the camera and steadycam work. (Now where the movies seems cheaper than ever because the over use of this method)
  5. 'Synchrotone' is a great track.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Empire Strikes back

You just went up in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

I thought Goldsmith's music for that final scene was incredible. It's a very silly film (much of which is caused by the stunt casting of Richard Gere) but Goldsmith's genius was such that he somehow made that finale incredibly moving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010 edited
    Exactly! If you can bring yourself to forget about the film that preceded that scene, the imagery -with that music- is extremely powerful.

In fact, I've got a 20 minute presentation to do on Tuesday about one of my projects (it's to do with film music believe it or not), and I think I'll use that scene as an example of how good film music works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Exactly! If you can bring yourself to forget about the film that preceded that scene, the imagery -with that music- is extremely powerful.

In fact, I've got a 20 minute presentation to do on Tuesday about one of my projects (it's to do with film music believe it or not), and I think I'll use that scene as an example of how good film music works.

I look forward to hearing hoow this went? Let us know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Working on a review of Nosferatu/James Bernard so I'm listening somewhat carefully.
    listen to more classical music!
  6. I recently played "That Next Place" from Meet Joe Black. That may be my favorite piece of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sherlock Holmes Hans Zimmer

After watching the film, I really enjoy this one now. (A "souvenir of the film" as James would put it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010 edited
    This morning I zipped through The Goonies. Not a GREAT score but the nostalgia factor is there for sure. The "Fratelli Chase" is legendary, I love the twinkling mystery motif, The Goondocks theme, The Adventures of Don Juan and Superman cameos, and the alternate "Fratelli Chase" (which sounds NOTHING like the cue we know.) It great stuff and the score overall is loads of fun! However, I think this release is for hard core fans only as most non-fans will just push it aside as an average score for an 80's film that they just didn't get.

NP: Hollywood '96 - Various Artists
    Joel McNeely conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

There's is a lot to like on this last of the annual "Hollywood" series of re-recordings from Varese. I think Varese tried to revive the series in 1999 with The Phantom Menace and Other Film Hits but I'm sure these recordings got too expensive to continue with and Townson closed the doors on the series for good. It's a shame because these albums - Hollywood 94 and 95 as well - are great samplers of the years best music and gave us some previously unreleased gems that STILL haven't seen the light of day commercially; McNeely's Squanto ('94), Newman's Phenomenon ('96) and Ross' Tin Cup ('96).

For this recording McNeely and the RSNO did a magnificent job especially on McNeely's own Flipper, David Arnold's "The Day We Fight Back" from Independence Day and show stopper "Sanctuary!" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame composed by Alan Menken. Also on this album is a cue from McNeely's recording of Bernard Herrmann's Vertigo.

A solid album featuring another brilliant recording by Geoff Foster.

Up Next: Stargate by David Arnold.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. NP: The Imaginarium of ... by the 2 Dannas

First listen
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh