• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    NP : MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    love

vomit

NP : Star Trek:TMP - Goldsmith

There are some scores that I buy simply because so many people have told me how classic they are. Frequently upon purchasing these albums I find myself unmoved by the scores, and then I feel downright guilty for not liking them since everyone seems to love them, or just totally befuddled as to why anyone would like them (see above). I am happy to say that what I have just described it not at all like what happened when I bought this album. This is a classic score that I really enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    love

vomit

It's that kind of a score eh! You either hate it or love it. I think it's one of the most creative, cerebral scores of our times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Green Zone - John Powell

First listen. Very impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Green Zone - John Powell

What with? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Green Zone - John Powell

You are? Blimey, I'm quite surprised. Even though I enjoy this, I think it's one of Powell's weaker albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Green Zone - John Powell

What with? confused

Green Zone - John Powell
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Green Zone - John Powell

You are? Blimey, I'm quite surprised. Even though I enjoy this, I think it's one of Powell's weaker albums.

I was reading a book at the time - and it made perfect accompaniment to that. Not sure if I'd like it too much if I listened to it while not doing something else, but then I never listen to music without doing something else at the same time so that is not a great concern for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a good score to listen to when I'm on my bike, but it's not one I'd sit there and dedicate my full attention to like most John Williams scores for, example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    Haven't listened to it yet, but i gather from everyone's reactions that very few-to-none would be actually talking about it if it wasn't Powell's? I repeat, i haven't listened to it yet.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Haven't listened to it yet, but i gather from everyone's reactions that very few-to-none would be actually talking about it if it wasn't Powell's?

If it wasn't Powell's then it wouldn't be as good. I can't think anyone else would be able to pull this off so well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Haven't listened to it yet, but i gather from everyone's reactions that very few-to-none would be actually talking about it if it wasn't Powell's?

If it wasn't Powell's then it wouldn't be as good. I can't think anyone else would be able to pull this off so well.

Indeed. And once you´ve watched the splendid movie, it all makes sense. No need to mention how great the score fits the visuals. Impressive in the whole film, but special mention to the final 15 minutes (that STUNNING action sequence) and the epilogue. In just two words: John Powell.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    love

vomit

It's that kind of a score eh! You either hate it or love it. I think it's one of the most creative, cerebral scores of our times.

nods head beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed. And once you´ve watched the splendid movie, it all makes sense. No need to mention how great the score fits the visuals. Impressive in the whole film, but special mention to the final 15 minutes (that STUNNING action sequence) and the epilogue. In just two words: John Powell.

Interesting! Will do so, watch the movie first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    It is a rare experience these days to watch the movie before listening to the isolated score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Haven't listened to it yet, but i gather from everyone's reactions that very few-to-none would be actually talking about it if it wasn't Powell's? I repeat, i haven't listened to it yet.

It's very frenetic, energetic and percussive, but it's just not very entertaining.
    Heaps of percussion with a vague Arabian flavour.

Meh.

NP: Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths - Christopher Drake & James Venable
    Pretty good orchestration (though I'm 99% sure it's all electronic), but it's all supportive of the (animated) action on-screen. I.e. very little in the way of melody or thematic development, which, ultimately, leaves the listener pretty cold. Drake's four-note theme (only repeated in the main and end credits) is pretty rousing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's very frenetic, energetic and percussive, but it's just not very entertaining.

Meh.

I insist: watch the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not a theme that really grabs me, but I'm sure I'll watch the film at some point.
    And I'm equally sure the music is supporting it excellently.

I was commenting on the stand-alone experience (which is quite poor).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:White squall (Jeff Rona)

First listen.

Since some people said it's a good mindblowing listen.

I didn't expect the panpipes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Meh.

Sounds like my thing. I must be the only fan the score to BODY OF LIES has wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Put on some herbal tea, close the curtains, dim the lights, and let 'er rip, D.!
  2. Nautilus wrote
    NP:White squall (Jeff Rona)

First listen.

Since some people said it's a good mindblowing listen.

I didn't expect the panpipes.

Not mindblowing at all, just a restrained yet beautiful little score.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    NP:The Mummy (Goldsmith).

"tuareg attack", "The caravan" ,"Camel Race" and "Sand Volcano" are some of the best Goldsmith stuff ever. Specially the love theme, wich it captures the mysteri and exotism of Egypt.

Sadly , some dark tracks are a little bit annoying to my ears.

as overall album I prefer 13th Warrior, as highlights I choose The mummy.
  3. I love The Mummy, even more than The 13th Warrior. It's Goldsmith in his BIG FUN mode.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Mark Griskey

A brilliant score with excellent integration of existing themes. So much better than the recently talked about Clone Wars score! One of my favourite game scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Living Daylights - John Barry (Definitive Soundtrack Collection)

Tracks like Necros Attacks , Ice Chase , Hercules Takes Off , Inflight Fight , Exercise at Gibraltar - that's Bond action music that get my juices flowing ! Great stuff ! I also love Kara Meets Bond , another beautiful track from maestro Barry . I think this is my second favourite Bond score after On Her Majesty's Secret Service .
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    NP : The Living Daylights - John Barry (Definitive Soundtrack Collection)

Tracks like Necros Attacks , Ice Chase , Hercules Takes Off , Inflight Fight , Exercise at Gibraltar - that's Bond action music that get my juices flowing ! Great stuff ! I also love Kara Meets Bond , another beautiful track from maestro Barry . I think this is my second favourite Bond score after On Her Majesty's Secret Service .

Such taste cannot be faulted. cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Green Zone - John Powell

another score influenced by Ennio Morricone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Green Zone - John Powell

another score influenced by Ennio Morricone?

No. Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sherlock Holmes Hans Zimmer

I think this one of Zimmer's better scores in recent years. I think Zimmer was allowed a little more free reign on this one, it just sounds like he had a lot of fun on this project. cool