• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

Start to finish... a brilliant score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    From start to finish you say? Careful, you might give a Jordi a heart attack.
  1. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Dude, I just listened to that one earlier today but forgot to mention it here, because I was playing it loud in my car.... YES IN MY CAR !!!! I think Doom is definitely Williams' most hectic scoring job ever, don't you agree?

And I felt like playing another classic from the maestro:

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Equally brilliant and melodies to die for.

'First Flight' .............. I mean 'Escape / Chase / Saying Goodbye' .............. I mean 'Adventure on Earth' is GORGEOUS and CLASSIC.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Dude, I just listened to that one earlier today but forgot to mention it here, because I was playing it loud in my car.... YES IN MY CAR !!!! I think Doom is definitely Williams' most hectic scoring job ever, don't you agree?

It's a score that make you wonder just where Williams comes up with the time to create such incredibly colorful orchestrations in such a short amount of time. There are dozens upon dozens of creative ideas in Temple where a composer today would listen to it and be very satisfied to only have two or three of those ideas pop up in their score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I actually really like The Pacific.

Henri IV is piece of shit though.

I went back to this score and really listened to it. There are some interesting parts in this one. The score has this dark, conspiratorial atmosphere to it and seems to suggest that the movie is more talkie than action-y. It's obvious that the score was temped with a bunch of Zimmer pieces, from TTRL, TDC, but between those are moments of actually interesting underscores. I don't mind the anachronistic electronics at all. The Louvre cue became one of my favorite cues on the album, along with "The Huguenots" with its TTRL temp track, "Henri's Escape" with its clear POTC:AWE action bent. I like Jackman's action writing with its aggressive syncopated string/percussion work and this album would have benefited greatly from 15-20minute of that, instead of the just the paltry 2minutes cue and 30second snippets spread throughout.

So it's not really a shit album. There's some very promising stuff and I do hope to hear more from Henry Jackman in the future.
  2. The Phantom - David Newman

On this listen I particularly enjoyed "Anything's Possible" and "Escaping the Island" more than I ever have before. My favorite tracks are probably "The Escape" and "Must be the Humidity." Great stuff.
  3. Uncommon Valor (James Horner)

A relentless score from a time where one exciting score was released after the other, mainly by the three J's.. Too bad this was never released officially, but I can live with the boot which amazingly has stellar sound. Musically this is the precursor of the action music from Aliens and that's not something I will ever dislike. The percussive drive this score lets loose is quite the stunner. Not a bad year for James, with this, Brainstorm and the ever stunning Krull. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Three J's?

James Horner,.....and JJ Johnson?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 1492 CONQUEST OF PARADISE - Vangelis

Not one I play much, hardly at all in fact, it's good though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010 edited
    JP : Commandos Strike Force - Mateo Pascual

Great gamescore ! The use of the choir throughout the tracks give it an extra dramatic and exciting touch !

NP : Medal Of Honor - Michael Giacchino

Aah , were are the days of the good old PS1 ?!
    Awesome game at the time which has an equally awesome soundtrack !
    Still one of my all time favourites !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    GhostwriterDesplat Saw the movie and I'm now listening to it away from the film
    Thomas

I'll be curious of your opinion Martin when you get to see the film. I would have loved to have seen this film with a Herrmann score. Bernard could have added to the tension where Desplat didn't.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nosferatu from James Bernard.

No one has ever written better vampire music in my opinion. And that includes Williams and Kilar.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Nosferatu from James Bernard.

No one has ever written better vampire music in my opinion. And that includes Williams and Kilar.
    Thomas

Bernard's scores for hammer were the definition of gothic, I love them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've got Hitchcock's SUSPICION on TV at the moment, I've seen this great film many times but I'm taking a lot of note of Franz Waxman's score, it's lovely and seems to have some influence from the likes of Debussy & Ravel.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - BASIL POLEDOURIS
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I've got Hitchcock's SUSPICION on TV at the moment, I've seen this great film many times but I'm taking a lot of note of Franz Waxman's score, it's lovely and seems to have some influence from the likes of Debussy & Ravel.

Do you have the Varese album Music From The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock? It features a lovely 12 plus minutes suite from Suspicion as well as The Family Plot, Strangers On A Train and Notoriou. Performed by Charles Ketcham & Utah Symphony Orchestra.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=14053
    Second listing down.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No I don't have this one Erik though I've seen it around from time to time.....quite frankly, I'm scratching my head wondering why I've never picked it up? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - BASIL POLEDOURIS

Nowhere near as awesome but still filled with enough melody to make a lot of composers green with envy...

NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

I love the mystical, dark magical sounding tracks and Crystal Palace is just excellent!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THUNDERBALL - John Barry

Not all of it, just my favourite bits. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Butterfly (Ennio Morricone)

I adore this score. It's the most sensual score ever composed. Listening to this wonderful music it's hard to believe that it was nominated for a Razzie award for worst musical score. Then again, so was Williams' "Monsignor" and Morricone's "The thing" the same year, so it's in good company.

Peter love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Butterfly (Ennio Morricone)

I adore this score. It's the most sensual score ever composed. Listening to this wonderful music it's hard to believe that it was nominated for a Razzie award for worst musical score. Then again, so was Williams' "Monsignor" and Morricone's "The thing" the same year, so it's in good company.

Peter love

I can understand why Butterfly and Monsignor got nominated, in the Razzies the score often gets lumped in with a lame film however good the music is. But, The Thing? They deserve a Razzie right back at em for that.

I love the Butterfly score, I haven't played it for many years though because I only have it on LP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wait.... wait....

wait...

...Mosignor... MONSIGNOR... MONSIGNOR was nominated for worse score!? Please tell me someone got shot for that decision?
  4. sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I'll be curious of your opinion Martin when you get to see the film. I would have loved to have seen this film with a Herrmann score. Bernard could have added to the tension where Desplat didn't.
    Thomas

I haven't seen the film, but I find it strange that music that is so tense on its own (the album) could add no tension to the narrative...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Wait.... wait....

wait...

...Mosignor... MONSIGNOR... MONSIGNOR was nominated for worse score!? Please tell me someone got shot for that decision?

Like I said, score get's lumped in with bad movie. I love Williams Monsignor score but I've heard ( and read reviews ) that the film is truly atrocious, I avoided it last time it was on TV, I'd rather this exceptionally enjoyable score didn't get sullied by what goes with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    I can understand why Butterfly and Monsignor got nominated, in the Razzies the score often gets lumped in with a lame film however good the music is.

Indeed. Kinda ruins the purpose of having that category though if they don't even listen to the music.

Timmer wrote
    But, The Thing? They deserve a Razzie right back at em for that.

Indeed, the score Morricone composed is perfect for the movie (though Carpenter didn't treat it well), and the movie is one of the best movies ever made.

Timmer wrote
    I love the Butterfly score, I haven't played it for many years though because I only have it on LP.

You have excellent taste. Shame it's on LP though. Don't have a record player anymore?

I have the CD, and I also have it ripped to my pooter, so I frequently listen to it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Erik's Most Played John Williams Tracks - John Williams

This is a 25 track smart playlist featuring my most played John Williams tracks. Bliss! Now Playing: "The Meeting In Sicily" from Monsigner

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    franz_conrad wrote
    sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Thomas

I haven't seen the film, but I find it strange that music that is so tense on its own (the album) could add no tension to the narrative...

Just my opinion. I think the music could have added to the tension which there was a lot of in the film
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Three J's?

James Horner,.....and JJ Johnson?

Almost right biggrin Here's one of them:

Star Trek Insurrection (Jerry Goldsmith)

I really love the action music in this one :Not Functioning, The Drones Attack, The Riker Maneuver, The Healing Process. It's the rhythm that does it for me. Jezus man, Jerry is THE MAN for coming up with the most exciting action music. The other themes are lovely too but aren't exactly as memorable as previous entries. This is definitely not a bad Star Trek music-wise and a whole lot better than most of what passes for music these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Heard last night: ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Danny Elfman

The opening concert suite of the main theme certainly is a great one, and the placement throughout the score keeps it wholly thematic and gives it several genuine thrills. Even though that theme is, at the moment, the only one I spotted. Yes, I know there're supposed to be 2 more themes for Alice, but they didn't jump out the way the main theme did.

As for the rest, it remains Elfman's adequate scoring for full orchestra that might be perfect on a craftsmanships level, but is lacking the emotional chore that it so badly needs. As many describe the film as well; it's creative and fun, yet an empty shell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010 edited
    NP:Lair (Debney)

My second second favourite score ever, for personal reasons and for objective reasons.

"Funeral pyre, "Civilitatation theme", "Darkness theme"( i love u, Lisbeth!), "Elegy" and Mokai's theme has all the beauty of his Pasion Of Christ score.

While...

"Main title", "Divener's battle", "firestorm", Bridge Battle and "epilogue" has the power of Conan anc Cuthroad Island together.

I will play next: Avatar.

I toke from the promo : Into the navi world, Thanator Chase 1, Floating Island (the 3 tracks), mated life ,Escape from hell gate, Help for grace, Bonding with.., prayers for grace, grace's death, quaritch down and fight to death.