• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Anyway, fluffiness be damned (for now).

Alien³ Elliot Goldenthal

Suits my mood at the moment.

Dark and disturbed, apparently.

Very effective...but what happened? Why this mood?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN POWELL - paycheck

This, along with Supremacy of the Bourne series, marks the best moment in Powell's career so far. Paycheck is a milestone of phenomenally good, modern film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Alien³ Elliot Goldenthal

I was asked to score someone's short film which called for dark music. Put me in the mood for the master of dark. (I declined, I passed the film onto someone a bit more skilled than me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    THE WORLD AT WAR by Carl Davis and others.

This is a lot of nostalgia
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

Rarely a main title theme more tragic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Alien³ Elliot Goldenthal

Some lad rebuked his advances I suspect.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    State of Grace - Ennio Morricone

An average effort by the Maestro. The dissonant tracks are far more in number than the melodic ones and even the very nice main theme is not free from dissonance.
    It seems to me that Morricone is inspired much more by even the worst Italian or European movies than by the American ones. There are the exceptions, though: The Untouchables or Mission to Mars.
    But usually his scores for the unknown Italian TV movies are so much better than his scores for American mainstream movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010 edited
    La Planete Blanche - Bruno Coulais

Hmm, rather odd. Are all his nature-based scores like this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    You found this quirky and bubbly and fluffy and you still don't attribute the same to the balloon thingy? And wasn't i the one who's supposed to NOT like those qualities?

No, you're the one who INCORRECTLY attributes those qualities. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. lp wrote
    NP: Season of the Witch - Atli Orvarsson

First listen impression: Meh. Dark, loaded with sound design, hellishly dissonant (in term of crap, not Goldenthal) and loud and poundingly inane for the sake of it. Take the worst and mediocre parts of Angels & Demon and previous Atli scores, dial up the volume, add dissonance and even more sound design (a la metallic screechings and groanings) and spread it out for an hour. Bleh. Granted, there are some good bits, some nice Choral passages and some nice action-y pieces but those are so little that it's hard to like the album as a whole.

Yet another failed Atli score. I'd rather listen to Henri 4 again. This score makes Henri 4 sounds like a fountain of melody and austerity.

For what it's worth, I quite enjoyed it when I listened to it. Enjoyed it more than his only other effort I've heard; Babylon A.D..
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote

Rarely a main title theme more tragic.

From what I've heard of this, the main title theme is the only part that really stands out for me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Southall wrote

I'll always be grateful to Martin (Tintin) for giving this Coulais title to me as a present when we met in Madrid several years ago. Some of the tracks on this are truly wonderful - and quite distinctive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I'll always be grateful to Martin (Tintin) for giving this Coulais title to me as a present when we met in Madrid several years ago. Some of the tracks on this are truly wonderful - and quite distinctive.

Yes, really good score. With all Coulais trademarks (so yes, they're mostly like this. Genesis is even weirder)!

Nobody can resist the awesomeness of the track Le Festin de Balleines. It will be my opening dance (if I ever marry). biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    ... and if your wife likes it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    3:10 to Yuma - Marco Beltrami

One of the most impressive scores of recent years.

How so? I found it functional!

-Erik-

I'm not sure I'd call it impressive, but it's very interesting!

Interesting? I love that sound! Beltrami's usual orchestration in a western. it could have been a Western Zombie movie.!!!

NP:Paycheck (powell)

Mmm....today my favourite powell score. it depents of my mood. it could be "agent cody banks", "Horton hears a who", "happy feet" , "x3" or "Bourne Supremacy". tongue

I really love, the "love theme". Very powellish. In fact, it's the first version of "phoneix theme".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    fommes wrote
    ... and if your wife likes it!

But since nobody can resist the awesomeness, she'll agree!

NP: L'ENNEMIE INTIME | alexandre desplat

Still on of my favourites of his. A very calm and soothing listen, nothing particularly special, but the atmosphere always get me, and the two themes are really good.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ....absolutely love this! It's very soothing and captivating...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote

This is a lot of nostalgia

I listened to this more and as usual I found a whole lot more in the Davis material. I could have very easily put this on once and went on to something else.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Season of the Witch - Atli Orvarsson

First listen impression: Meh. Dark, loaded with sound design, hellishly dissonant (in term of crap, not Goldenthal) and loud and poundingly inane for the sake of it. Take the worst and mediocre parts of Angels & Demon and previous Atli scores, dial up the volume, add dissonance and even more sound design (a la metallic screechings and groanings) and spread it out for an hour. Bleh. Granted, there are some good bits, some nice Choral passages and some nice action-y pieces but those are so little that it's hard to like the album as a whole.

Yet another failed Atli score. I'd rather listen to Henri 4 again. This score makes Henri 4 sounds like a fountain of melody and austerity.

For what it's worth, I quite enjoyed it when I listened to it. Enjoyed it more than his only other effort I've heard; Babylon A.D..

For me, right now, comparatively speaking

1. Babylon A.D.
    2. Vantage Point
    3. Season of the Witch

Monsters vs Aliens >= Henri 4 >= Babylon A.D > Vantage Point = Season of the Witch
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: An Everlasting Piece - Hans Zimmer and The Jigs

One of my all time favorite Zimmer scores! Zimmer in this mode rarely disappoints! Superb music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Apollo 13 James Horner

Really effing loud too. Plus a pint of ESB... my new favourite beer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

One of my all time favorite Zimmer scores! Zimmer in this mode rarely disappoints! Superb music!

-Erik-

In what mood? irish? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Kinsey - Carter Burwell

Needed a nice, relaxing listen while I lose myself in a Leffe Blonde!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

In what mood? irish? tongue

Mode not mood! rolleyes

I'm talking about smaller, lower budget non-action films. Drama, Comedy and Rom-Coms is something he excels at.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    He's excellent at comedies and simpler dramas. Definitely his forte.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Vanechka - Yury Poteyenko

Lovely, memorably melodical piece of work, with a definite Romantic -sentimental even- Eastern European sentiment. I already knew I liked the man's style from his work on the Age Of Pirates video game score, but this cements my esteem for him.

In many ways comparable to Kilar's style (there's that wonderful classical sentiment coupled with a rather melancholic, dark sensitivity), this guy is definitely on my To Watch Out For list!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Beautiful score isn't it? That theme is gorgeous and really sticks with you. I always thought it was a small but underrated score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Beautiful score isn't it? That theme is gorgeous and really sticks with you. I always thought it was a small but underrated score.

Yeah, once that theme comes in on the oboe (I assume it's an obeo) I melt! The score is not intrusive, very easy to listen to with a wonderful flow from track to track. The score is always moving.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    He's excellent at comedies and simpler dramas. Definitely his forte.

Why do you have to make me angry adding "simpler" to your sentence?