• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    Because that's definitely MY forte.

It wasn't meant to be an insult. There's a particular skill needed to write interesting scores for those films and he's got it in a way that most others haven't.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Kinsey - Carter Burwell

Needed a nice, relaxing listen while I lose myself in a Leffe Blonde!

-Erik-

Awesome choice mate ! One of the few things my country gets right!!! lick

And I suppose the score tastes good too. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Vanechka - Yury Poteyenko

Lovely, memorably melodical piece of work, with a definite Romantic -sentimental even- Eastern European sentiment. I already knew I liked the man's style from his work on the Age Of Pirates video game score, but this cements my esteem for him.

In many ways comparable to Kilar's style (there's that wonderful classical sentiment coupled with a rather melancholic, dark sensitivity), this guy is definitely on my To Watch Out For list!

For real??? I may as well check this man out, especially if you compare him to Kilar.

Romantic, memorable, melodic, melancholic, dark sensitivity. Right up my alley.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Worth a listen, Gilles.

I'm always particularly touched when a composer so clearly shows classical influence and capability.
    I like what this man does. He seems a throwback to earlier days, whose music I enjoy better.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote
    Worth a listen, Gilles.

I'm always particularly touched when a composer so clearly shows classical influence and capability.
    I like what this man does. He seems a throwback to earlier days, whose music I enjoy better.

Same here Martijn, nothing like the good old days... Will check it out.

Did you get those scores through Poteyenko's website? Did you get them fast / hassle-free ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Did you get those scores through Poteyenko's website? Did you get them fast / hassle-free ?

No, yes / yes. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    Agatha Christie's great detectives, Poirot & Marple (Toshiyuki Watanabe)

An anime I've never seen. But the music is excellent, and very english in places. Practically the entire score consists of decent melodies, and there are several good themes. My favourite track is "Joy", which is so lovely and joyful, with a woman singing wordlessly. "Without forgetting" is another excellent theme, that's unforgettable, i.e. I seem to whistle it for days whenever I've listened to the score.

I've uploaded "Joy" to zshare, in case anyone reading this wants to give it a listen.

My rating: Can't decide between **** and ****½. It's all high quality music, but it hasn't all gotten to me yet, so I currently think of it as a ****, but it might turn into a ****½ with additional listens.

Perlasca (Ennio Morricone)

An excellent score, with several melodies. There are hardly any themes, in other words, practically every melody is a standalone. Nearly every track is good, but to be honest, none of them blows me away. Still, with so many melodies, it's hard not to love.

My rating: ****

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TREVOR JONES - aegis

Another great composer whom we don't frequently hear of and it's a real shame. This score here is as good as was scores can get.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Green Mile - Thomas Newman

The atmosphere he helped create in this film is astonishing. Gives me goosebumps every time.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    TREVOR JONES - aegis

Another great composer whom we don't frequently hear of and it's a real shame. This score here is as good as was scores can get.

The main theme is one of his finest themes. highly addictictive.

But I find the whole score a little bit repetitive and with average orchestrations.

NP:Dinotopia ( Jones)

I don't listen this score very often, because it has too much "descriptive" moments. But it's one of the most beautiful and richest scores from Jones.

majestous, wonderful and big!

The skybax dawn fight punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's a "descriptive" moment?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You can't describe it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Do you have some problem steven???

I'm not in a feel good mood , so don't touch my balls very much today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    so don't touch my balls very much today.

shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

No, it was a genuine question. But don't worry, I'll stay away from your balls.
  4. Mickey-mousing, I guess.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FANTASY FILM WORLDS OF Bernard Herrmann

punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mickey-mousing, I guess.

Ah, right. Would you mind awfully if I touched your balls?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kimberly - Basil Poledouris

Simple, but very beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD - Bernard Herrmann

Fantastical, and very well handled by John Debney cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010 edited
    Gee it gets quiet around here on weekends!

Anyway,

NP: Dark Void - Bear McCreary

Elmer Bernstein's Heavy Metal/Ghost Busters/etc collides with McCreary's Battlestar Galactica musical universe to create this fine (and fun) game score!
    It's typically taiko drum heavy with a brass section added for a little more of a "grandios" sound.
    The more I play it the more I hear in it.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010
    NP: The Prince and the Pauper (Korngold)

I love it. My second experience with Korngold's work since Robin Hood, and i remember loving the score while watching the movie this past Monday. The re-recording is just superb, very detailed and bright. I've never heard the florid orchestrations so clearly, it adds a whole new dimension to the score. Tribute Film Classics, Stromberg and Morgan should aim for some Rozsa re-recordings next -- I'd really love to hear a complete The Thief of Bagdad.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  5. Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Damn -- there goes everybody's dinner plans!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    justin boggan wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Damn -- there goes everybody's dinner plans!

Yes, watching your name is enough to ruin everybody's dinner. You know vomit is not compatible with food.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm finishing up with my World At War review, having one more listen.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    NP: The Prince and the Pauper (Korngold)

I love it. My second experience with Korngold's work since Robin Hood, and i remember loving the score while watching the movie this past Monday. The re-recording is just superb, very detailed and bright. I've never heard the florid orchestrations so clearly, it adds a whole new dimension to the score. Tribute Film Classics, Stromberg and Morgan should aim for some Rozsa re-recordings next -- I'd really love to hear a complete The Thief of Bagdad.

Glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to hear more from Tribute Film Classics!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    These days I really get excited when Tribute, Tadlow, and lately Carl Davis releases something new.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO Good score which will be released as a digital download from Milan.
    Thomas