• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010

To have my pleasure after the Oscar I'm listening to the score that should have won in my opinion. Horner really did it this time, a fantastic album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    NP Green Zone (John Powell)

shocked

Now this is a PERCUSSION based score! Love it. Nothing to do with Bourne (which I was afraid of), this one is much more agressive and violent. Powell is in a moment of his career where he does nothing wrong. I´m impressed.

I like it too. It's not one that I'd want to dedicate a full listen to very often (if ever), but it's a good score to listen to on my iPod when I'm walking to and from uni, or when I'm on my bike. Very aggressive, as you say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    You might think that the people presenting the awards would take ten seconds to look at the list of names they have to read out before they go on stage so they could ask for help if needed. "Dess-platt"? "Gaia-cheeno"? So disrespectful.

You might think that for other people, who do care; not for oscars out of whom nobody gives a damn about filler categories like film music and its composers.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

shocked

Now this is a PERCUSSION based score! Love it. Nothing to do with Bourne (which I was afraid of), this one is much more agressive and violent. Powell is in a moment of his career where he does nothing wrong. I´m impressed.

I like it too. It's not one that I'd want to dedicate a full listen to very often (if ever), but it's a good score to listen to on my iPod when I'm walking to and from uni, or when I'm on my bike. Very aggressive, as you say.

Haven't found the time to give it a listen yet, but from your comments, the mood is already set.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    You might think that the people presenting the awards would take ten seconds to look at the list of names they have to read out before they go on stage so they could ask for help if needed. "Dess-platt"? "Gaia-cheeno"? So disrespectful.

You might think that for other people, who do care; not for oscars out of whom nobody gives a damn about filler categories like film music and its composers.

They also did it for the very first award of the night (Best Supporting Actor - Christophe Waltz - three different people read out his surname and none of them pronounced it correctly).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

shocked

Haven't found the time to give it a listen yet, but from your comments, the mood is already set.

I don't think it's all that aggressive.
    It certainly is percussive, but not very interesting.

I can see where it would work very well in a supporting fashion (be it a film or walking to Uni smile ), but I'm not sure this one is staying on my iPod...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

shocked

I don't think it's all that aggressive.

Really? If Green Zone is not an agressive score (at least the way Powell uses the percussion) then I don´t know what it is!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, for instance I think the Bourne scores are much more aggressive.
    (But then I need a lot more than percussion to make a score properly aggressive. Like I said, I think Green Zone is probably the most percussive score Powell has ever done this side of Drumline))
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sounds pretty aggressive to me! But yeah, this is a good one to listen to on my iPod when I'm outside... but I don't think it's one I'll have on in the background at home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe it's emotionally aggressive and intense? Something like large parts of UNITED 93?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Well, for instance I think the Bourne scores are much more aggressive.
    (But then I need a lot more than percussion to make a score properly aggressive. Like I said, I think Green Zone is probably the most percussive score Powell has ever done this side of Drumline))

Well...it's heavy but no agressive tongue But I don't find bourne scores agressive either.

Green Zone is not even good to run or drive. it lacks of any kind of rythmic sense. it's only percusion played without any kind of sense. How I said, i can listen one or two tracks, specially the ones where the main theme is played , but only because it's the "new score" of the week. i don't think I will choose this score never more in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure it's one of those scores that gain a lot more meaning when viewed with the film they accompany.I am confident in Powell, for at least having musicianship (to say the least) in every work he produces ,with very few exceptions so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Maybe it's emotionally aggressive and intense? Something like large parts of UNITED 93?

No, it's just aggressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am sure it's one of those scores that gain a lot more meaning when viewed with the film they accompany.I am confident in Powell, for at least having musicianship (to say the least) in every work he produces ,with very few exceptions so far.

Do you remember when i said was bland and later you agree with me?

green zone is one of this few cases. Remember I'm a great fan of Powell, and I love United 93. For sure the music will fit well in the movie (Anyway i think the percusion is too heavy, and too many and Powell could have been used another resource to create action)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're talking about what you said about HENRI 4 and on which i agreed with you?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexadre Desplat

I love it, so there! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    You're talking about what you said about HENRI 4 and on which i agreed with you?

oops! yes...sorry. i was talking abotu Henri 4. it's snowing in my village and my fingers are frosty!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Holdridge Conducts Holdridge - Lee Holdridge

One of the greatest albums I own. Lush, purely symphonic music was so much emotion. Brilliant sound quality and passionate performances. Many of these pieces have gone into "My Favorites" playlist. Highly recommended! Dirt cheap at Amazon!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited
    NP:The Pacific (HZ, GZ, BN)

It's ironic this scores is realeased the same week that Green Zone. Both scores can't be more diferent.(Green Zone needs more quiet moments, and The pacific needs more action tongue )

About The Pacific...The first 2 tracks, the main themes, are good. nothing new, but good enough.

The rest.....a little bit better than Henri 4 but still bland.

Zimmer must be busy with Inception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

Thanks for mentioning Holdridge. Got me in a Holdridge mood, and am currently playing Charles Gerhardt Conducts The Film Music Of Lee Holdridge. A wonderful album.

Peter spin
  1. NP: The Keep - Tangerine Dream

I'm glad to have the chance to listen to this - though the CD doesn't contain the piece that I was looking for - I was initially looking for the clip that featured in this clip.

This track - entitled Logos - ended up coming from another album but TG's album to The Keep is a good listen! There's a lot of tracks that feature "orchestrations" that I really warm to. I'm reminded of what it is I liked about Jean-Michel Jarre but disliked about Vangelis (in the late '70s and early '80s). As well as the melodic lines that Jarre had there were the sets of synthesisers both used. I found Jarre's much "nicer" than Vangelis' more harsh synths.

To cut a long story short, cheers Eric! punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:The Pacific (HZ, GZ, BN)

It's ironic this scores is realeased the same week that Green Zone. Both scores can't be more diferent.(Green Zone needs more quiet moments, and The pacific needs more action tongue )

About The Pacific...The first 2 tracks, the main themes, are good. nothing new, but good enough.

The rest.....a little bit better than Henri 4 but still bland.

Zimmer must be busy with Inception.

Or just lazy, handing over material to incompetent people.
  2. Erik Woods wrote

One of the greatest albums I own. Lush, purely symphonic music was so much emotion. Brilliant sound quality and passionate performances. Many of these pieces have gone into "My Favorites" playlist. Highly recommended! Dirt cheap at Amazon!

-Erik-

I suspect another purchase from my brother soon wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Keep - Tangerine Dream

My pleasure Alan ... wink

I'm sorry to hear that the track you were looking for wasn't on it ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. NP: The Spy Next Door by David Newman

I'm into Newman mode smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Celebrating Up's Oscar win by listening to Lost Season 4 - Michael Giacchino

It doesn't get better than this. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

Yes, it does. Season 1 and Season 3. crazy
  4. Eric wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Keep - Tangerine Dream

My pleasure Alan ... wink

I'm sorry to hear that the track you were looking for wasn't on it ...

Don't be! If I'd found the "Logos" track without hearing The Keep then I wouldn't have heard tracks such as "The Silver Seal" - which is great.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Anthony wrote

I sure hope Season 4 is better than 3, because that was boring man confused
  6. Final Fantasy XIII (Masashi Hamauzu)

Custom playlist as the 4 discs just proved to be too much. This really is splendid stuff, high on glorious themes and rhythmic momentum and even some standout choral moments. If you hear tracks such as Nautilus or Born Anew you can expect much more in this style on this wonderful soundtrack. Some cheesy songs are present but they blend in rather well with the rest which is upbeat and very nicely orchestrated. I love it, because the music has a lively energy that is so rare in videogame music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.