• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer and Powell)

I'm not embrassed to say it's one of my favourites scores from both composers. I think it's sublime, and it's fits the movie like a globe.

I completely agree.

NP: Two Brothers - Stephen Warbeck

An under-appreciated gem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHE BECK - Percy Jackson & The Olympians- The Lightning Thief (2010)

Very impressive. But i doubt i'll remember any of it in a year or so.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GHOSTWRITER - Alexandre Desplat

It's got his name written all over it, in every single note and orchestration. Not one of his strongest efforts, but i believe that's not due to lack of quality, but part of the aesthetic decisions made on this film's music. It reminds me of eras past. Sounds like a score that would elegantly but discreetly underline the drama of the narrative and just that. We're not very used to this kind of approaches anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've been listening to the "Rhinehart Publishing" track for a while now. It's short but there's something weirdly attractive about it for me! The rest of the score is quite nice too. Can't wait for the other 2 massive Desplat scores coming this year - Tree Of Life and Deathly Hallows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    I've been listening to the "Rhinehart Publishing" track for a while now. It's short but there's something weirdly attractive about it for me! The rest of the score is quite nice too. Can't wait for the other 2 massive Desplat scores coming this year - Tree Of Life and Deathly Hallows.

Do you know release dates for these?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm not sure about Tree Of Life, but Deathly Hallows is being released in November.
  1. Rent-a-Cop (Jerry Goldsmith)

The wonderful main theme and synthy percussion are what do it to me for this particular Goldsmith. But I agree he has done much better. I enjoy it a lot though. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Rain Man (Zimmer)

Complete score. First Listen.

I didn't remember how "oriental" influenced this score is.

A mind Blowing score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Rain Man (Zimmer)

Complete score. First Listen.

I didn't remember how "oriental" influenced this score is.

A mind Blowing score.

One of those early Zimmer scores I can´t bear now. The synth sound is older than me.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    No, I haven't but I just read here liek a week or two ago someone mentioning him when talking about ... this very score as I recall.

I should, shouldn't I?

Yeap!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I just felt like listening to SOMETHING BIG !!!

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (Johnny T. W.)

This isn't the best Star Wars on the whole, but this one definitely holds my favourite music ever to grace a SW score album + the addition of two brilliant themes: for the ewoks & the emperor. punk

The epitome of Williams' symphonic scoring, where all the themes that introduced before get their best performances, culminating into the most spine-tingling and spectacular finale on disc 2. Sadly they don't make em like this anymore. sad

Though that doesn't stop me enjoying the crap out of this one each time.

punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    yeah yeah yeah

Listening to disc 2... MINDBLOWING !!!!!

THANKS MR. WILLIAMS FOR THIS TIMELESS CLASSIC

Favourite cues: practically all of them. punk

I return to the trilogy music about once a year or year and a half (at most) to help me remember what real film music is. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I never listen to the awfully produced RCA Victor 2CD set.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I've never had the pleasure. wink

I'm happy with the box. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

What's wrong with it? I usually only listen to the re-recording of ROTJ as the sound quality on the RCA version is dreadful and worse than Empire. rolleyes
  2. "The Pretender" (Velton Ray Bunch)

Various cues and main title themes (it changed a few times) from the short lived TV series. Says "For promotional use only -- Not licensed for public sale", yet I bought it when BuySoundtrax was selling it (I think it's still for sale).

Some nice score cues on it. "Jarod's Mom" is a sad piece that tries to reach some glorious moment, but is quashed -- just like in the scene for which it accompanied in the series.

Not enough score cues on the CD, and the sequencing leaves much to be desired.

Bunch won, as I recall, an Emmy for his work on a particular episode of "Quantum Leap", took over for the last season of "Nash Bridges", and is a protege of Mike Post, doing additional scoring, and ghosting on various famous shows Post worked on.

After this CD, ANOTHER "Second Chance" spin for Mark Snow's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" TV mini series score. I never enjoyed it, in spite of it's popularity among some score fans. I recall it being a little too bland for me. Couple that with finding out his buddy John Debney ghostwrote some of the score, well ... this time will probably yeild the same results.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

What's wrong with it? I usually only listen to the re-recording of ROTJ as the sound quality on the RCA version is dreadful and worse than Empire. rolleyes

You just spelled it out for us!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    Good, it's not just me being picky then!
  3. Well regardless of how they sound compared to other recordings, I don't have any problem with them. I love listening to those double disc editions, and browsing the little booklets that come with them. The sound is totally fine with me and I don't see a reason to go out and get supposedly better versions. cool
  4. "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", by Mark Snow, has indeed failed again.

It's a weak score that even sometiems mickey mouses around, and has annoyingly thin and whimpy orchestratons at times. I don't know who to blame for the orchestrations as the only two credited on the CD have already shown with their other film and TV orchestrating they got the chops. I can only assume because of that, Debney ghosting, and the mickey mousing and line of blandness about it, that maybe this was a rush job, possibly replacing another composer.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well regardless of how they sound compared to other recordings, I don't have any problem with them. I love listening to those double disc editions, and browsing the little booklets that come with them. The sound is totally fine with me and I don't see a reason to go out and get supposedly better versions. cool

It's the Jedi album that they really tanked. The majority of the second disc sounds AWFUL! AM Radio awful. If you compare that album to the brilliant sound of the 4CD Box Set that came out in 1993 you'd NEVER go back to the RCA editions.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010 edited
    NP : PROPHECY - Leonard Rosenman

Probably not for many here, this has a lot of atonal, textural sounds and "BIG MONSTER" music ( which includes great use of the 'Blaster Beam' ), I really like it but I doubt it's one that'll get a lot of plays but I'm happy I got it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Been in a Cosma mood these past days. Listened to:

Les malheurs d'Alfred - *** (A bit too silly for my taste)
    Kidnapped - ****
    Les roses de Dublin - ****
    Les mondes engloutis - **** (I especially love the catchy main theme song, even though I normally avoid songs)
    La gloire de mon père - ***½
    Le château de ma mère - ****
    Les coeurs brûlés - ****½ (The winner among my Cosma scores, with 3 equally extraordinary themes) bhangra

Currently playing:

Last of the dogmen (David Arnold)

Very Barry-like, especially the sweeping and ultra-beautiful main theme. Currently listening to the heroic action track "The country line". Very exciting cue.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Good example of how a poor album presentation makes the score appear dull when it's actually a pretty fun Zimmer/RC romp. Removing some dronefests like Hello Beastie and adding some great unreleased tracks like Zanelli's Bone Cages and Sponsler/Gire's Jar Of Dirt makes a much more fun and enjoyable listening experience for me.
  5. James Horner - Apollo 13

The conversation about Horner's approach to music reminded me how great this score is. I listen to it (the promo) once in a while and it never ceases to amaze me. It's one of the scores which MAKE the movie what it is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

An epitome of sheer brilliance and a top favourite score of mine. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLANET EARTH - George Fenton

Very good indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

No words from me can praise this score enough, one of the best scores of the 70's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

An epitome of sheer brilliance and a top favourite score of mine. cool

Agree, perfect modern film scoring.
  6. Timmer wrote
    NP : PROPHECY - Leonard Rosenman

Probably not for many here, this has a lot of atonal, textural sounds and "BIG MONSTER" music ( which includes great use of the 'Blaster Beam' ), I really like it but I doubt it's one that'll get a lot of plays but I'm happy I got it.

I really like this one. Familiar Rosenman style - and very much in-your-face.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn